• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| May I Fancy You To A Nice Arse Whipping?

Look at some of the biggest stars WWE have created in the past decade, many of them are wrestlers who came from the indies - it's something WWE have used both as a storytelling device (the wrestler from the "minor leagues" trying to prove they have what it takes for the big time) and as an easy way to hype up a new signing by lauding their pre-WWE accomplishments. It shouldn't be surprising that some fans might see pre-WWE experience as a positive, especially if their favourites have include the likes of Punk, Bryan, Seth, Owens & Styles over the past few years.

But this is all an over-simplification, it's disingenuous to imply that a wrestler's background is the major reason fans like or dislike a wrestler. Look at Charlotte, no one trashes her for a lack of ability, no one looks down on the fact that she has never worked a match outside of WWE, mainly because she delivers in the ring. Other's don't. That's not to say they can't play a character, fulfil a role or even win a championship if the story dictates it, but to imply that people don't like them simply because of some misguided idea that they never "paid their dues" is an insult to the intelligence of the majority of the audience.

Well, that and you can't quantify the position. Not without a census and I doubt one was passed to a pool of wrestling fans between last night and this afternoon to even come close to such a conclusion, at least as it pertains to Jindal. This is an example of why people tossing words like 'thesis' around when they don't know what it means should not be in the teaching profession.

World > 3
pWKJMZ4.gif

We're talking about 3, not World friend.

PgFI1Cv.gif

What are your thoughts on Super Mario World?

I need to know before I give you a Buckle Bomb and end your career.

It's like a fine wine, friend.

dream

Well, that and you can't quantify the position. Not without a census and I doubt one was passed to a pool of wrestling fans between last night and this afternoon to even come close to such a conclusion, at least as it pertains to Jindal. This is an example of why people tossing words like 'thesis' around when they don't know what it means should not be in the teaching profession.

A thesis signals an argument--a proposition that is defensible. That is exactly what strobogo offered: an argument that he advanced, which is entirely defensible as well as subject to critique. And I passed it along because I thought we could have a conversation about it (thanks boootaaay and anth0ny), but forgot that some of wrestlinggaf would rather scream "gimmick!" than engage in critical thinking.

But on the off-chance that you actually want to discuss strobogo's thesis, I think it's quantifiable to a degree. When you look at all the WWE superstars who have been largely derided by the ISEC, then compare them to the ones whom the vocal majority believes to be maligned, mistreated, or underutilized, a pattern emerges. And this gets even more interesting when you include Shinsuke Nakamura's US run, in which his promo work and ring work has been very pedestrian, offering a cumulative body of work that is probably worse than what Roman Reigns has done over the past year.

Cot damn savage dragon. That reminds me of this spot from the Tremont documentary where Hyde has him elevated on a horizontal fence off the side of a rig and drops him through some barbed wire but tremont gets fuckinm snagged and never hits the floor.

The noise is just terrible.

Hex

Banned
Deathmatch wrestling is the only type of wrestling I'll never really watch.

Just insanity.

I backyard wrestled enough in my 20-30 phase to never want to see shit like that anymore.
Never got stupid enough to do alot of the hardcore stuff but did do light tubes (the office building by my friend Craigs place would throw out boxes and boxes) and thumbtacks, chairs, palm fronds, broom and rake handles, windshields, paving stones....
AND THAT was stupid.
I swear I still have a chronic cough because of the light tubes.
We had a rule, no face and no nuts but other than that it was pretty fair game.
Then we would go in, bandage up and watch nitro/raw/nitro

Bronx-Man

Banned
So I saw ZSJ get the twitter rub from Corbyn, and I sighed realizing that the closest thing we've got to that in the States is Daniel Bryan's crazy ass.

Top Bottom