• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

IMO, WWE's biggest dropped ball is John Morrison.

Dude is a legit star over on Lucha Underground and would fit right in on the main event scene with the current crop of guys WWE is briging up.

Imagine Morrison vs Rollins, Morrison vs Balor, Morrison vs Nakamura

All would be stellar matchups. They seriously shit the bed when they cut that guy.
It doesn't help that the roster was void of anyone like that at the time. Dude was at his best when there wasn't shit to work with

Morrison needs only to look in the mirror to find out why he was cut

and look behind his reflection and see Melina
As if her image is visible in reflections

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd fire Ziggler and bring back Ryback. But if we're including announcers, I'd fire Byron instead.

I would fire JBL before Byron. Byron's inoffensive and adds nothing, but he rarely actively detracts the way JBL does.

Kurita

IMO, WWE's biggest dropped ball is John Morrison.

Dude is a legit star over on Lucha Underground and would fit right in on the main event scene with the current crop of guys WWE is briging up.

Imagine Morrison vs Rollins, Morrison vs Balor, Morrison vs Nakamura

All would be stellar matchups. They seriously shit the bed when they cut that guy.

Dude was my favorite wrestler during his run but honestly, he was never going to be World Champ, the guy is upper midcard material at best. I marked like a mofo when he got a title shot though. But like Brian_FETO said, there weren't really some "worthy" opponents for him to have great matches back then.

Miz & Morrison are forever my favorite WWE tag team. They were great stuff.

jmdajr

Getting rid of super stars they don't really use seems pointless. Sure you could get rid of Swagger, but what does that do?

Kaladin

Dude was my favorite wrestler during his run but honestly, he was never going to be World Champ, the guy is upper midcard material at best. I marked like a mofo when he got a title shot though. But like Brian_FETO said, there weren't really some "worthy" opponents for him to shine back then.

Miz & Morrison are forever my favorite WWE tag team. They were great stuff.

He was mid card in WWE, but since being on Lucha Underground I feel like the guy has elevated himself. He's up there with the best IMO.

What's everyone's thoughts on Cedric Alexander going the Tommaso Ciampa route and seemingly being done with ROH? Personally I think he was never used to his full potential in ROH and excited to see him back in places like EVOLVE and PWG. Hopefully he has a similar career post ROH like Ciampa has had.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder why Itami got injured so easily
tumblr_o70aizD4mx1qcztrfo4_400.gif

So WWE seem to think we'd be interested in Roman Reigns vs New Jack.

Why?

Because they saw that fake PPV shot of Cena vs New Jack and Roman is their guy now so they're trying to shoehorn into everything Cena related

Make a Tweeter account just to harass @AskWWENetwork about adding Heat, like I did to harass them about adding more Nitros.
Did it work?

Lol gotta love for the hate of Reigns. I wish Gaf was around when Warrior was champion. Wait I already discussed this before. Nevermind.
Tell me about what you said about Warrior.

Wrestlemania 2000

it killed the planet
It killed my eyes.

Kurita

He was mid card in WWE, but since being on Lucha Underground I feel like the guy has elevated himself. He's up there with the best IMO.

I should watch LU I guess then

Nitro vs Carlito vs Benjamin for the IC belt at Vengeance 2006, man, that was some good shit.
Miz vs Punk vs Morrison was a cool match too, Survivor Series 2008 I think?

klonere

Banned
What's everyone's thoughts on Cedric Alexander going the Tommaso Ciampa route and seemingly being done with ROH? Personally I think he was never used to his full potential in ROH and excited to see him back in places like EVOLVE and PWG. Hopefully he has a similar career post ROH like Ciampa has had.

ROH seems to be totally shitting the bed right now so I'm not surprised. Excited to see him in Evolve!

Kaladin

I unearthed an interview from 2015 with Justin Gabriel....never knew he was Adam Rose's Bunny.

When you did appearances as The Bunny, was that always you or just once in a while?

"It started out as just a little character, then it kind of evolved from that. Then I'm like 'If I'm not going to be this Dare Wolf character, let me make this Bunny really f-cking cool. Me and Adam Rose sat down and wrote out stories to make this bunny an evil bunny, because he wanted to be a heel so bad. We wanted to do like the Donnie Darko thing. We had an awesome mask made by the people who do The Walking Dead makeup, the same people who make Kane's masks. We had things filmed, and all of these ideas to turn this bunny into an evil, sadistic character. Adam Rose was going to be like a Marilyn Manson character. Everything got shot down. Each time I'd come up with something or Adam would come up with something, it'd get shot down. An idea that I thought was great and everyone thought as It's more frustration, it gets disheartening. It makes you lose passion for what you're doing."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0602/595907/justin-gabriel-talks-frustration-in-wwe/

klonere

Banned
Champion Carnival 2016 Block A Match
Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara
http://rutube.ru/video/573e21be946c721144634d5feea877f5/

Fantastic main event of one of AJPW's Champion Carnival (AJPW equivalent to the G-1) shows from last month. Kento is slowly building his reign, which a lot of people, myself included came too fast. AJPW had their hand forced by circumstance, namely a bunch of injuries, leading them to pull the trigger on making Miyahara the Triple Crown champion.

This match is non-title but being a CC match, still has a certain level of prestige and importance to it. Miyahara's opponent is a guy who I have seen very little of, Kengo Mashimo. He made an excellent first impression with a calm yet vicious demeanor and simple yet brutally effective style. The match is paced excellently and it has to be given its length, with distinct stages that all build satisfactorily. The crowd is behind Miyahara in a big way, truly giving the impression that he is the real ace of the entire promotion. I haven't heard a crowd get so worked up about a babyface having his arm targeted in a long time. AJPW has hit some very low attendance numbers but this partnership with BJW and Akiyama's considered booking seems to have steadied the ship - K Hall looked very full at this show.

This isn't a super flashy match nor is it overly violent or stiff and it didn't feel like the two guys were stretching the length of the match out for no reason. It was a smooth, thoughtfully put together match that felt important with a hot crowd. Indeed, the simplicity of the whole affair makes it an easy watch for any wrestling fan in my opinion.

Highly, highly recommended.

Champion Carnival 2016 Block A Match
Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara
http://rutube.ru/video/573e21be946c721144634d5feea877f5/

Fantastic main event of one of AJPW's Champion Carnival (AJPW equivalent to the G-1) shows from last month. Kento is slowly building his reign, which a lot of people, myself included came too fast. AJPW had their hand forced by circumstance, namely a bunch of injuries, leading them to pull the trigger on making Miyahara the Triple Crown champion.

This match is non-title but being a CC match, still has a certain level of prestige and importance to it. Miyahara's opponent is a guy who I have seen very little of, Kengo Mashimo. He made an excellent first impression with a calm yet vicious demeanor and simple yet brutally effective style. The match is paced excellently and it has to be given its length, with distinct stages that all build satisfactorily. The crowd is behind Miyahara in a big way, truly giving the impression that he is the real ace of the entire promotion. I haven't heard a crowd get so worked up about a babyface having his arm targeted in a long time. AJPW has hit some very low attendance numbers but this partnership with BJW and Akiyama's considered booking seems to have steadied the ship - K Hall looked very full at this show.

This isn't a super flashy match nor is it overly violent or stiff and it didn't feel like the two guys were stretching the length of the match out for no reason. It was a smooth, thoughtfully put together match that felt important with a hot crowd. Indeed, the simplicity of the whole affair makes it an easy watch for any wrestling fan in my opinion.

Highly, highly recommended.

Huh. I also watched this and wrote about it today. I was going to post about it, but the server went to crap: http://wrestlingwiththoughts.tumblr.com/post/144213944430/kengo-mashimo-vs-kento-miyahara-ajpw-4916

I agree with your thoughts and recommendation. Great psychology and fire from Miyahara, and Mashimo really impressed me with his slimy heelish act.

klonere

Banned
Huh. I also watched this and wrote about it today. I was going to post about it, but the server went to crap: http://wrestlingwiththoughts.tumblr.com/post/144213944430/kengo-mashimo-vs-kento-miyahara-ajpw-4916

I agree with your thoughts and recommendation. Great psychology and fire from Miyahara, and Mashimo really impressed me with his slimy heelish act.

Like you said yourself, definitely looking forward to a match between the two down the line for the title. Between Sekimoto and Mashimo, Miyahara has two great title defense already built up. To think a lot of chat a few months ago was about just letting AJPW go to the wolves.

Started on Dead or Alive 2016, which I finally found somewhere. Dragon Gate on PPV always looks special, they really up the production from the usual shows.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Exactly, Byron adds nothing. I'd keep JBL and, if possible, try to keep Vince out of his and Cole's ears.

Frees up money.

The way Meltzer talks the money that the talent gets paid is basically meaningless to them unless its Lesnar money.

Kaladin

Real talk, Tye Dillinger is kind of awesome and owning the Perfect 10 gimmick. He's a guy that needs a look at having a main event spot, even if it's just one Takeover, I feel like that is all he'll need to shine.

klonere

Banned
Real talk, Tye Dillinger is kind of awesome and owning the Perfect 10 gimmick. He's a guy that needs a look at having a main event spot, even if it's just one Takeover, I feel like that is all he'll need to shine.

There isn't a much better match you can book right now than beloved jobber Tye Dillinger as the underdog against the rampaging Samoa Joe. Crowd would be 1000% behind Tye but wouldn't go into convulsions when the inevitable happens. And it'd get Joe over even more as a crazed monster.

Sadly I think he might catch a case of the Tyler Breeze's: peak before a really big program in NXT and get called up only to be misused and discarded.

Barrage

Agreed. Put Eva Marie with him as the Perfect Woman and watch the money come in.

So nope,
Athena didn't debut
and nothing to support it happening soon.

I give up getting hyped off NXT taping results and wait until it's either announced on the show some other official source.

Top Bottom