• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
'spot open for a singles junior heavyweight' that the junior heavyweight will immediately go, 'i want to be a heavyweight!'

not like cole's tubby ass needs much help

it is hilarious that the bullet club are as bad if not worse than the kliq about getting their guys hired. people don't like to talk about that nwo comparison though i guess

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
how long before bucks convince gedo to merge bullet club with los ignobernables so they can kill naito's heat for their own attempt at staying relevant. nwo silver and black style

my only hope is that paco has some kind of say in it and paco's say is 'lol fuck no'

shaowebb

'spot open for a singles junior heavyweight' that the junior heavyweight will immediately go, 'i want to be a heavyweight!'

not like cole's tubby ass needs much help

it is hilarious that the bullet club are as bad if not worse than the kliq about getting their guys hired. people don't like to talk about that nwo comparison though i guess

Except guys in Bullet Club will actually put over their opponents in the ring. Win or lose they tend to do matches where everyone gets to showcase as much of themselves as possible and they do memorable matches that tend to elevate promotions.

If Bullet Club is the new Kliq or NWO then good. These guys are filled with the right kind of performers and they put on the right kind of shows. FAR better than the slops folks were fed on WWE and even in solid promotions the element they added to the stories of the talent were catalyzing the fans into attendance. NJPW certainly was better for having them involved so much.
how long before bucks convince gedo to merge bullet club with los ignobernables so they can kill naito's heat for their own attempt at staying relevant. nwo silver and black style

my only hope is that paco has some kind of say in it and paco's say is 'lol fuck no'

Los Ingernobles vs Bullet Club is like a gang war taking place in your fed. No way they should ever join up. They should turf war it out. Young Bucks have been cheesing it with Kenny Omega a bit much though. they needed more serious faces in front of them for awhile to keep Bullet Club legit. Adam Page's style fits. Dude has some nice spots. Fall away slams into turnbuckles, deadlift pumphandle stuff, jumping ddts, The Money Clip and Money in the Bank stuff lifted straight outta EZ Money's old shit. Just good spots and a serious sorta presence.

Adree

Dave finally gave up and admitted WWE will probably fuck up Bayley with a callup

I've heard Meltzer do that weird talk before about how Bayley has to look young and WWE has to capitalize or all the little kids won't like her anymore and it always sounds tremendously creepy.

Adree

Rachel Ellering looked okay on NXT. It was almost move for move the same match Alexa had with Tessa Blanchard though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dave's Bayley theory is creepy for starters and is predicated on some dumb presuppositions anyways, e.g. Bayley will look way too old to play Bayley if they wait 6 months or that nobody will like her character if she doesn't look as young as Dave apparently believes she looks (Bayley looks her age).

:

The 6/29 return to Honolulu after seven years is already sold out. Just to clarify rumors that had been going around, to the point even talent believed they were true, WWE has confirmed that this show will not be a network special. Also, the reports claiming that this show will feature Lesnar are also incorrect. Lesnar was never even asked about working the date and WWE is not advertising him for the show.

Regarding talk of a Charlotte vs. Asuka match that week, they may be facing off but it is not official. Charlotte, Asuka and Natalya are all booked for the Honolulu show and given Asuka will be a babyface in Honolulu, it could be a three-way or a tag in some form. Right now only Asuka and Paige are advertised for the Japan shows on the same tour. It would be logical that the talent used in Honolulu would go on to Japan.

Nakamura’s first main roster matches will be that week. It’ll be interesting to see who he’s booked against. Historically when it comes to matches like this in Japan, they go with Jericho as the utility man. As of this week, the Japan cards hasn’t been booked. Last year’s Japan tour saw them do a network special that was the most-watched non-PPV show up to that point in time in network history. There has been at least talk of something at Sumo Hall like last year, but nothing confirmed.

Pimpin ain't pimpin ain't easy mane.

Adree

The Konnan shoot on MLW is a fun listen, especially when Konnan tries to pose a simple hypothetical to Meltzer and Meltzer spends 5 minutes evading it before giving a shit non-answer.

I think I might start listening regularly, it's fun hearing some of the lucha talk that most wrestling podcasts ignore and Court/Konnan are a good duo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dave says that while Vince likes big guys, Triple H's thing is "people who look like they could beat people up in a real fight." This somehow relates to them not signing Adam Cole and signing Brawn Strongman instead.

Adree

Dave says that while Vince likes big guys, Triple H's thing is "people who look like they could beat people up in a real fight." This somehow relates to them not signing Adam Cole and signing Brawn Strongman instead.

I don't see anything wrong with them signing Braun but they should have actually put him through developmental properly. Even now they should be making him work every show so he actually learns something.

Striker

Why sign Finn Balor then.

This topic takes you back to the Bret stance on big(ger) guys in WWE.

Angry Grimace

Guys like Balor and Owens are major stars. It's not the same thing. Those are the guys that are main eventing things instantly on name recognition.

I don't see anything wrong with them signing Braun but they should have actually put him through developmental properly. Even now they should be making him work every show so he actually learns something.

Big Cass ate his lunch. Dave says they still want to sign Cole anyways as a potential NXT headliner.

Adree

Big Cass ate his lunch. Dave says they still want to sign Cole anyways as a potential NXT headliner.

Other than both being tall I really don't consider Cass and Stroman anything alike. Not every "big man" has to have the same moveset.

At this point who do they not want to sign to NXT? HHH is collecting them like Dan Ryckert collects amiibos.

Doesn't your pessimism ever get tiring?

Shit on Gedo all you want, he's not a moron and he's not going to kill NJPW's hottest angle in years.

notworksafe

I was getting a piece of pie in a diner at 2:30am and Radioactive came on the radio there. First thing I thought was "This was the theme of a PPV". Not sure what that says about me.

Adree

I was getting a piece of pie in a diner at 2:30am and Radioactive came on the radio there. First thing I thought was "This was the theme of a PPV". Not sure what that says about me.

I like to think of that song as the shit that played in the first 10 minutes of The 100 that made me stop watching for months until I heard enough good word of mouth to give it a second chance.

I associate it with one of the most CW-ass moments of Arrow's first season

and hearing it on the radio around 100 times a day for a while

notworksafe

Imagine Dragons have had quite a few songs used for WWE stuff. Vince got a real love for them and Flo Rida I guess.

Hearing Monster still bums me out. :(

Striker

Guys like Balor and Owens are major stars. It's not the same thing. Those are the guys that are main eventing things instantly on name recognition.
It will be interesting to see where these guys are in 2-3 years. Also AJ and Nakamura. Vince will always have his "guys" and so will Hunter and Stephanie. I don't see it being any of those guys. But it would be a decent change of pace considering the direction the company has gone since 2004. They do need a big variety in size. Early WWF and WCW all had that including throughout the rest of the 90's. Cass is different but he is Test's size, albeit with a slightly smaller frame.

oddjobs

What a perfect ending to the WWE career of the shitstain that is Alex Riley. Considering his Twitter-antics and all the other things that make him an annoyance, I popped big when Nakamura started just kicking the shit out of him.

Menome

Elias Samson proving this week he's got what it takes to be the top heel one day. He's not getting flustered by the boos anymore, he just goes out and sings his soul to the people.

Shout to those two women cheering for Samson near the beginning of the match. They can see what way the road ahead is winding.

klonere

Banned
Elias Samson proving this week he's got what it takes to be the top heel one day. He's not getting flustered by the boos anymore, he just goes out and sings his soul to the people.

Shout to those two women cheering for Samson near the beginning of the match. They can see what way the road ahead is winding.

"I'm going to go the show and cheer for ALLLL the bad guys"

smh smarks putting themselves over disgusting behaviour, shouldn't even be allowed buy a ticket.

klonere

Banned

Again: they have lots of big dudes they just refuse to book them in the traditional big monster heel role. Look at how effective Mill Muertes has been in LU and he isn't half as impressive as say a Braun Strongman, Big Show or even Jack Swagger physically.

They are hiring these guys but just making them like everyone else.

Nekofrog

Banned

can they? because he's been around for how many months and we still literally know nothing about him or what his motivation is? what he wants to do? why he's there?

pls tell me where the road is going because i legit have 0 idea

Again: they have lots of big dudes they just refuse to book them in the traditional big monster heel role. Look at how effective Mill Muertes has been in LU and he isn't half as impressive as say a Braun Strongman, Big Show or even Jack Swagger physically.

Yup

Joe's doing that role superbly in NXT, but I just bet he'll be 5050'd when he gets called up.

klonere

Banned
can they? because he's been around for how many months and we still literally know nothing about him or what his motivation is? what he wants to do? why he's there?

pls tell me where the road is going because i legit have 0 idea

they generally don't make much of an effort to tell that kind of story unless its super easy eg from another promotion like Sami, Finn, KO etc

Nekofrog

Banned
they generally don't make much of an effort to tell that kind of story unless its super easy eg from another promotion like Sami, Finn, KO etc

any kind of motivation

i'll even take that he's here because his parents kicked him out of his basement for smoking weed and playing guitar all day and that's why he's a drifter

klonere

Banned
any kind of motivation

i'll even take that he's here because his parents kicked him out of his basement for smoking weed and playing guitar all day and that's why he's a drifter

Like you just did, I proposed a backstory for Breeze yesterday but Grimace thought it was dumb and trying to justify this stuff to the modern audience is stupid ;( Personally I'd have the Drifter as a dude who just goes from town to town, bullying places to let him play, then playing badly on purpose to see if anyone will start any shit. When he learned he could do that for a lot more money and fame well...

I can definitely see his point but man I want that kind of stuff badly. I think its a real missing cog in the machine right now. One of the biggest shows in the world right now is Game of Thrones, people are able to take some sort of complexity and outlandishness in their entertainment if its well done.

Menome

Yes, but this WWE. They'd see Game of Thrones' popularity and extrapolate that it means people want more boobs and dongs.

klonere

Banned
Yes, but this WWE. They'd see Game of Thrones' popularity and extrapolate that it means people want more boobs and dongs.

Actually they have gone down the incest route! Vince must have been furious when he saw that on GoT "GODDAMNIT WHEN I TRIED TO DO THEY SAID I WAS SICK WHAT IS THIS CRAP"

Actually they have gone down the incest route! Vince must have been furious when he saw that on GoT "GODDAMNIT WHEN I TRIED TO DO THEY SAID I WAS SICK WHAT IS THIS CRAP"

You mean when Vince sees it in 2047 because that's how far behind the pop culture curve he is.

OFpKxD8.png

tfw can't get over as faces

Striker

His point was and it still rings true, they have many more smaller guys than ever before. The company making big guys "like everybody else" has been around since the 80's. Hercules, Warlord, Akeem, Bundy, Vader (ugh), and even Yokozuna eventually. But they don't stand out as good as many of the past big guys. Like Luke Harper, for instance. He's a tall guy but he wrestles like he's a 230 lb. indy dude.

I don't think the WWE is telling him "Hey go out there and do superkicks and suicide dives like every other guy on the roster".

Browny

Banned
His point was and it still rings true, they have many more smaller guys than ever before. The company making big guys "like everybody else" has been around since the 80's. Hercules, Warlord, Akeem, Bundy, Vader (ugh), and even Yokozuna eventually. But they don't stand out as good as many of the past big guys. Like Luke Harper, for instance. He's a tall guy but he wrestles like he's a 230 lb. indy dude.

There's the tried and tested way of getting people over without that bullshit 50/50 booking crap. BRING BACK JOBBERS. Worked as a great intro for Ryback, it generally works in NXT (see: Baron Corbin) it can work again easily enough.

Heroman

Banned

That mainly cause the bigger guy don't wrestle anymore, as they can make more money faster from other sports. I mean look at the indies right now, there are barely any big guy there so you can't even get there from the info anymore so you have to train them from scratch which takes to long

My favorite part is when people try to say they could never fuck up Bayley because "look at New Day"

The team they've already tried to break up so many times the members have already gone on record as retiring the moment it ever actually does end because they're fed up with the company's shit, specifically when it comes to ruining everyone that should be easy moneymakers

klonere

Banned

Yoko and Vader were all presented very well at certain points, especially Yoko. Yoko got to beat fucking Hogan for god sake. Andre along with Hogan defined the entire promotion for years to come. Vader's moveset was plenty spectacular for a big guy and while he wasn't doing suicide dives he could move. Hell, they had a dude as limited as Andre was in the late 80s in Strongman and they have very quickly pulled back on the man. The point of giants is to eventually be cut down by the the top babyface or a babyface you want to make, so of course the mystique will eventually fade. WWE is just particularly adept at making big guys look like total rubes after they get the slightest bit bored with them.

And to your bolded point, that should make it WAY easier to get the big guys over then, as they'll stand out even more and it should be easier to buy that they beat up all the smaller guys. It's more or less nothing to do with hiring practices or the talent themselves and all to do with booking.

klonere

Banned
That mainly cause the bigger guy don't wrestle anymore, as they can make more money faster from other sports. I mean look at the indies right now, there are barely any big guy there so you can't even get there from the info anymore so you have to train them from scratch which takes to long

You are totally right about really big dudes going elsewhere because the money is better. Donovan Dijak is the only really big tall dude on the indies that immediately comes to mind and he's doing real stupid shit like crazy dives already.

There are some monsters waiting at the PC but as you said, they seem to take an age to train them and the PC hit/miss rate right now is pretty terrible.

Top Bottom