• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Ithil

3KMWldL.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just don't understand what people want...Game of Thrones wrestling?

Is this the Groundhog Day thread all of a sudden? Because it feels like the Groundhog Day thread.

wrestlemania_zps6dd3022c.jpg

Fun fact... the dude in this bit that's thrilled to get tickets to WrestleMania is none other than Michael Shannon.

Michael-Shannon.jpg

I just watched Take Shelter for the first time this weekend. Great flick.

Well, at least it was an older Mania, so odds are it would have been ...

Wait ... 1993 ...

WM_09.jpg

Well, shit.

UberTag

I don't know if was the reason but didn't we used to have the PPV discussion here rather than it's own thread?
That is factually correct. WrassleGAF's unceasing desire to be recognized in prime Off-Topic instead of the Community thread has rendered the need for an OT2 obsolete.
Especially this month where we have two network specials and New Japan talent vacationing in North America for multiple cards.
Would have easily cleared the OT2 hurdle back in the old days.

Sanjuro

the legitimacy of a "finishing move" died the day the people's elbow started to put people away

It's fun. Wrestling fans ruin it.

"OH! You made him look weak. He kicked out of the Flying Elbow Leg Drip."

Growing up, wrestling had the the basic pattern. You had A-wrestlers, B-intercontinental, C-tag team, but together the best can be A-wrestler. It's simple. Let guys use whatever moves works for the story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
People want the worst to happen, so when the best happens it becomes the worst. Then they hit with the swerve.

That probably best describes wrestling fans.

If you want to see gore and swearing in wrestling, indie circuits already exist.

Asking for R-Rated WWE wrestling is a bit like asking for a dark-and-gritty version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they swear and do drugs.

Sanjuro

If you want to see gore and swearing in wrestling, indie circuits already exist.

Asking for R-Rated WWE wrestling is a bit like asking for a dark-and-gritty version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles where they swear and do drugs.

...so the original TMNT. Nice!

I don't need R-Rated. I'm happy with the product. My post was more for fans who watch the product, hate it, want change, but keep watching. They are dogshit.

I hope RAW is amazing tonight. I want to be excited again so bad.

Ill ask you guys in a bit how its going. Im on the west coast so I always watch it after you guys.

Nekofrog

Banned
It's fun. Wrestling fans ruin it.

"OH! You made him look weak. He kicked out of the Flying Elbow Leg Drip."

Growing up, wrestling had the the basic pattern. You had A-wrestlers, B-intercontinental, C-tag team, but together the best can be A-wrestler. It's simple. Let guys use whatever moves works for the story.

No, that's what I'm saying. I don't view wrestling as a "legitimate" portrayal of an athletic contest. I DO enjoy the shows that do, but the WWE doesn't do that and I'm 100% totally OK with that. I was more addressing people who complain about finisher spam kickouts, but I guess I didn't really state that with my ambiguous post. I'm all for anything that increases the drama/story in the ring like that.

UberTag

I don't need R-Rated. I'm happy with the product. My post was more for fans who watch the product, hate it, want change, but keep watching. They are dogshit.
It's hard to refute that logic.

I mean, why in the hell would the WWE ever bother to change their booking philosophy for a fan who subscribes to the Network, buys tickets to theirs shows (even to boo Roman), springs on the occasional merch, watches their shows 5 to 8 hours out of the week and talks about them on social media. They've already got that fan and clearly will keep them no matter how upset they are with the product. So why in the world would they ever listen to this person? How does that make them more money? It doesn't.

Sanjuro

No, that's what I'm saying. I don't view wrestling as a "legitimate" portrayal of an athletic contest. I DO enjoy the shows that do, but the WWE doesn't do that and I'm 100% totally OK with that. I was more addressing people who complain about finisher spam kickouts, but I guess I didn't really state that with my ambiguous post.

It really depends on the match. People hated Ambrose vs Jericho. It was a poor showing by Ambrose, but needed for that evening, and turned out to be a above average match. Fans would have crippled it. In the end, we got logical kick outs.

It's hard to refute that logic.

I mean, why in the hell would the WWE ever bother to change their booking philosophy for a fan who subscribes to the Network, buys tickets to theirs shows (even to boo Roman), springs on the occasional merch and talks about them on social media. They've already got that fan and clearly will keep them no matter how upset they are with the product. So why in the world would they ever listen to this person? How does that make them more money? It doesn't.

That's always been my mindset. I know what the product is, I have reasonable expectations, I don't need someone to tell me "what I want" every minute of the day. Surprises are fine.

Speaking personally, I don't want bewbs and swearing and gore all the time... just to see the handcuffs come off a bit and have that stuff be acceptable where it suits the story and the match. You're talking as if we didn't have essentially R rated wrestling before (immature as the attitude era was), or as if such a thing isn't common place in wrestling.

I'd rather a Roman Reigns who swore instead of coming out with the terrible insults they write for him now. I'm not a fan of blading, but when someone gets injured, it'd be nice to see that again without black and whiting it away. PG puts limitations on the product, and limits can be good sometimes, but they haven't really worked well within them imho.

Nekofrog

Banned
It really depends on the match. People hated Ambrose vs Jericho. It was a poor showing by Ambrose, but needed for that evening, and turned out to be a above average match. Fans would have crippled it. In the end, we got logical kick outs.

On the other side, I don't have a problem with people who complain about the way it's done. There's a part of me that loves the crap out of the way wrestling was presented as a legitimate contest the way WCW did (even if most of the time it didn't make the most sense).

My biggest problem right now is that the WWE picks and chooses when they want a finisher to be protected and when they don't care about another guy's finisher. I don't particularly like one guy eating multiple finishers, kicking out, hitting one of his finishers and getting the win. That doesn't gel well with me, but it's whatever, not a big deal for me so I don't really complain about it.

As to the Ambrose/Jericho match, I really thought Ambrose looked slow and out of place which is weird because Jericho is like 500 years older than him. His light jogs to the ropes to do his moves sets off a twitch in my brain.

Top Bottom