• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

The brand split is back coming this summer: Smackdown will be live starting July 19 with a different roster, writing team, and plots. They're gonna hold a draft before it goes live.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/wwe-smackdown-live-usa-1201782569/

ron-paul-its-happening-animated.gif

I wasn't around for the original draft/brand split, so I'm excited to watch this unfold.

Aiii

So not worth it
I get the idea, but a two hour live show every week the day after a three hour RAW that everyone feels is too long? On PPV weekends that will be eight hours of WWE in three days.

The good news here is that you no longer have to watch the three hour shitfest.

klonere

Banned
The brand split is back coming this summer: Smackdown will be live starting July 19 with a different roster, writing team, and plots. They're gonna hold a draft before it goes live.

If they don't nail this they are so fucked in the next round of rights negotiations. SO much potential to do good but nearly more potential to fuck everything up even more.

Hey if they brought Rollins back as a babyface there's a young talent that you can build Smackdown around you fuckwads.

JavyOO7

Yeah, got a message from WWE app saying that Smackdown goes to Tuesday live every week with a 'distinct roster' starting July 19. Not sure WWE has the roster depth to pull it off but Vince seems to think so...

Ithil

I suppose the ideal scenario would be for Shane to be the authority figure on SD, and the roster to focus on the "New Era" talent. They did move Ryan Ward from NXT to SD recently.

That would mean "bye bye RAW, hello blue".

bigkrev

If Raw is staying 3 hours, this brand split is going to fail- the longer show means you need to have the deeper/better roster on Raw, so Smackdown is going to seem inferior.

klonere

Banned
Cody could've possibly had his chance.

This move is to specifically spite Ryback and Cody probably

I worry what this means for the Tag Team and Women divisions, neither of them are strong enough to be broken up yet :(

I could see the Women's title being shared between the shows, no way can they have a full two roster split by the time they start this thing.

You could call up a bunch of teams at once from NXT for the tag stuff although it'd be less than ideal.

Caderfix

I worry what this means for the Tag Team and Women divisions, neither of them are strong enough to be broken up yet :(

Call ups are going to happen most likely, while two tag teams and two woman wrestler will carry each side.

On the woman's side, there's Becky, Charlotte, Sasha, Bayley, Asuka and Paige, as for the tag team's, Dudley, Enzo & Cass, New Day, The Club and the Wyatts. All those performers are over, and that's just from the top of my head.

I think that, as long there are three of the "big ones" on each side, it'll be fine, as the not so popular performers will have time to up their game or, at very least, the company will be able to come up with new talent.

bigkrev

Guess we are getting 2 world titles again as well, and possibly 2 sets of Tag Team belts. Good for people like Owens/Zayn who likely would never win the world title as it exists right now.

I'm guessing John Cena is going to be a Smackdown guy

This move is to specifically spite Ryback and Cody probably

I could see the Women's title being shared between the shows, no way can they have a full two roster split by the time they start this thing.

You could call up a bunch of teams at once from NXT for the tag stuff although it'd be less than ideal.
And what really sucks is, some of the guys who are/were not happy with their spot could've proved to be so much more worthy. I still haven't heard more about the Swagger situation.

Jamie OD

They're actually going ahead with a brand split? Well I'll be damned. Thought the roster as it is now is too thin for that to work. If they're bumping up NXT talent then that could help. They really need to focus on Smackdown though and not lose interest after 2 months like every other relaunch. Helps if they book Smackdown a little differently than Raw.

klonere

Banned
Who is making the OT thread guys

Lost in this:

Taped Impact has one hour where they're competing with live SD lmao

CnabKgr.gif

Although the people left watching TNA right now probably think that the WWE is made up of lizard people trying to brainwash them and Aunt Dixie provides the only pure wrestling product under the sun.

I can see WWE making Smackdown the more "Wrestling Focused" show for hardcore fans, with the tighter time frame, less fluff, and likely a majority of the NXT roster, while Raw is the fluffier, more kid-friendly, more star-packed show.

The only negative I can see to this? The return of...

latest

IT JUST WON'T FUCKING DIE!

Guess we are getting 2 world titles again as well, and possibly 2 sets of Tag Team belts. Good for people like Owens/Zayn who likely would never win the world title as it exists right now.

I'm guessing John Cena is going to be a Smackdown guy
Keep that bitch and Roman Raw. I actually like to enjoy SD.

atomsk

Party Pooper
"Stay tuned as WWE prepares to get shaken up like never before"

except for, you know, the last time they did a brand split.

Browny

Banned
Brand split? Sweet!

With the perceived lack of roster - you never know, it might mean the return of JOBBERS (please god bring back proper no-name bump-monkeys).

Fox318

5.5 (including overrun) hours of live tv in 2 days.

NBC is so fucking desperate to prop up USA Network numbers but its going to kill the WWE.

Plus its not like NBC bothers to try and promote the WWE.

Another thing lost in this:

If they split the world and/or tag titles again so there's stuff to fight for on SD, it'll be official - they'll expect you to watch minimum 5 hours a week instead of the minimum 3 we previously had before this week

Feels a bit weird that they're doing the split just after they've let go of a lot of employees. I'm assuming they'll be a lot of NXT call-ups then to make up for it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Styles will go to smackdown and be one of tops there i imagine. Heance why he lost to roman

Aiii

So not worth it
Styles will go to smackdown and be one of tops there i imagine. Heance why he lost to roman

Well yeah, one would assume AJ Styles is being looked at to be among the main eventers of Smackdown.

Also, really excited for split PPV's again, two months build-up to matches instead of rushing from big show to big show. Might actually get some title changes on TV again.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Been telling everyone who'd listen that this has been in the works for at least two years now. The signs got real obvious in the last eight months or so.

USA was the one who basically killed Smackdown as a separate brand. When WWE returned from Spike USA started getting pretty picky about what talent could go over from RAW because they didn't air it. Now it's on USA.

They hired a world class commentator...for Smackdown.
They've been picking up every indie darling they can. A lot of people assumed it was for NXT, but in reality it was for filling another roster.
They're running two separate touring groups anyways.
The leaked upcoming events thing that basically told everyone a brand split was coming a few months ago yet people still assumed this was some sort of false flag.
Finally, Shane. A good guy authority figure and this whole new era stuff?

miserable

Brand split? yuck

i can see it now: sometime down the line Cena (or Steph) will cut the Heyman promo on whoever is Champ on SD : "the only reason you're champ is because Roman didn't want to work tuesdays"

Top Bottom