• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

klonere

Banned
3 potential merch sellers with their own distinct line

You can do that within the confines of the team now and save overhead. Just like team jerseys, one template with many different variations.

I'm not saying the act isn't stale - i enjoy seeing it once a month when I check in on the PPVs but breaking them up because they haven't built good challengers in the Tag Division seems premature. We've got Enzo and Cass coming around, let's see if they can revitalize the whole scene.

You don't need to split the team up in order to do that.

You keep saying that but the Shield among numerous other teams throughout history proved you wrong

The team has a lifespan dwindling by the day. Kofi and Xavier are going to be out of the company within a few years no matter what. It's okay to admit that and enjoy what you and they currently have instead of rewriting history to say "actually the team is a better draw and moneymaker than the individual/s"

DX sold. HHH and Shawn sold more
Rockers sold. Shawn sold more
Shield sold. Reigns sold more. Seth sold more. Ambrose sold more.
Legacy sold. Orton sold more.
Hardy Boys sold. Jeff sold more.

Sephzilla

Rockers sold. Shawn sold more
Shield sold. Reigns sold more. Seth sold more. Ambrose sold more.
Legacy sold. Orton sold more.
Hardy Boys sold. Jeff sold more.

Also, realistically, I don't see any of the New Day members hitting the solo heights of any of the people you mentioned here. Big E is the only guy I could possibly see getting a main event run. Merch wise, they're probably better off staying together and having their own unique merch under a New Day banner

Also, realistically, I don't see any of the New Day members hitting the solo heights of any of the people you mentioned here. Big E is the only guy I could possibly see getting a main event run. Merch wise, they're probably better off staying together and having their own unique merch under a New Day banner

People said the same thing about the Shield because fuck Dean Ambrose (which is fair because Fuck Dean Ambrose), and yet the amount of merch Dean sold solo was the only reason they even bothered with the title shots and Brock match. You never know until it happens, and if Big E doesn't quit too, the chance is too good to pass up

Bubba T

You keep saying that but the Shield among numerous other teams throughout history proved you wrong

The team has a lifespan dwindling by the day. Kofi and Xavier are going to be out of the company within a few years no matter what. It's okay to admit that and enjoy what you and they currently have instead of rewriting history to say "actually the team is a better draw and moneymaker than the individual/s"

The Shield were actively going to be pushed after they broke up, because the management actively wanted to push them.

Do you know what their history is?

History: The three individuals you speak of have not progressed as far as they have as a team since they formed, and none have been as over as they have been (save Kofi for his RR spots).

To say that they'll be better if they break up would imply that management would actively push them, the same management that put them in a shitty gimmick to begin with because they really didn't know what to do with them in the beginning.

So no, I'm going to go with the angle that they are good together right now, then they are apart.

Valkrai

What are the chances that Smackdown beats Raw in the ratings at some point in the Football season?

Depends on the roster. I could see it doing better with a shorter time than Raw, and better commentary (Mauro being god). I can't stand JBL, Cole, and Byron so I'd rather watch live Smackdown.

Sephzilla

People said the same thing about the Shield because fuck Dean Ambrose (which is fair because Fuck Dean Ambrose), and yet the amount of merch Dean sold solo was the only reason they even bothered with the title shots and Brock match. You never know until it happens, and if Big E doesn't quit too, the chance is too good to pass up

I remember a lot of people predicting that the Shield guys would all have pretty good careers after the Shield breakup. The only person I remember people being down on, at all, was Rollins because of his mic skills at the time. What also needs to be taken into account is that the New Day members, unlike the Shield, already had solo runs before teaming up. Kofi was midcard 4 lyfe. Xavier was Heath Slater-tier. Big E was a side meal for Cena during the Ziggler feud and then languished in midcard hell. From a merch selling perspective, and probably from a presence on TV perspective, New Day is better off together.

How will this work if Raw is still 3 hours and Owens, Zayn, Cesaro go to Smackdown?

Why doesnt USA just let Smackdown air on their channel? Maybe that way Raw can go back to 2 hours, and USA can have 4 hours of WWE programming.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You don't need to split the team up in order to do that.

You can do that within the confines of the team now and save overhead. Just like team jerseys, one template with many different variations.

I'm not saying the act isn't stale - i enjoy seeing it once a month when I check in on the PPVs but breaking them up because they haven't built good challengers in the Tag Division seems premature. We've got Enzo and Cass coming around, let's see if they can revitalize the whole scene.

You don't need to break up New Day in order to give all three their own merchandise. Triple H and HBK still had their own merch when they were in DX.

ok guys

Why is that?

No WWE team lasts 6 years, especially in modern WWE. Whether they break up this year or break up in 3, they're breaking up. Those two are on record saying when they do, they're done, they quit. So...they're done. They quit. Because there's no way they don't break up. It is ignoring facts to assume that team never breaks up and they are employed until death in 57 years or whatever. But with how much facts you've already ignored, it seems you don't mind adding more to the pile.

Bubba T

How will this work if Raw is still 3 hours and Owens, Zayn, Cesaro go to Smackdown?

Why doesnt USA just let Smackdown air on their channel? Maybe that way Raw can go back to 2 hours, and USA can have 4 hours of WWE programming.

Smackdown is airing live on USA starting in July.

The brand split has some of my most fondest memories of wrestling, Smackdown from 2002 to 2005 was some of the most fun TV. But Heyman was involved for that.

I'm still not opposed to this tho.

Bubba T

No WWE team lasts 6 years, especially in modern WWE. Whether they break up this year or break up in 3, they're breaking up. Those two are on record saying when they do, they're done, they quit. So...they're done. They quit. Because there's no way they don't break up. It is ignoring facts to assume that team never breaks up and they are employed until death in 57 years or whatever. But with how much facts you've already ignored, it seems you don't mind adding more to the pile.

No one said anything about them never breaking up. They just don't need to break up now.

Also by your logic, The Usos should of broken up already.

Nothing's worse than a WWE fan. Facts, evidence, rules of physics, legalities, shit, it's reminiscient of Whose Line is it Anyway to these "people":
Everything's made up and the points don't matter

Now I know why there's no WWEMecca. Inherently the Mecca is in every discussion

bjork

This one kinda doesn't count. They weren't together long enough for it to matter and HBK was already an established moneymaker by that point.

Unless you mean fake DX post-HBK, and then yeah. You remove Road Dogg and Mr Ass from anything and of course it would sell more.

Sephzilla

No one said anything about them never breaking up. They just don't need to break up now.

Also by your logic, The Usos should of broken up already.

God, of all the tag teams I want to see go through a stupid drawn out break up angle - it's the fucking Usos. And they never will because their Tag Team John Cena: Tropical Breeze.

Nothing's worse than a WWE fan. Facts, evidence, rules of physics, legalities, shit, it's reminiscient of Whose Line is it Anyway to these "people":

Now I know why there's no WWEMecca. Inherently the Mecca is in every discussion

giphy.gif

bjork

God, of all the tag teams I want to see go through a stupid drawn out break up angle - it's the fucking Usos. And they never will because their Tag Team John Cena: Tropical Breeze.

They should do a spot where they headbutt each other really hard and get KOed, and they forget they are related, but instead each one thinks the other is his reflection and they both go crazy. So then they're taken aside to show them footage together as brothers, but instead they're shown the Doink match from Survivor Series 1993, and they decide that they must both be Doink, and then you have two Doinks. One for each show after the brand split.

GunBR

This is going to be a clusterfuck. They haven't properly built talent compared to before when the brand was split. They just unified the championship so what are they going to do?
They have the talent, they only need better writers

Freaking Zack Ryder got over with the crowd (during 24 hours) after being stuck at Superstars for years. A lot of wrestlers only need a chance

Bubba T

Someone in this thread seems very sensitive to what amounts to just a normal discussion about a bunch of guys playing pretend. It's not that serious.

giphy.gif

Lol, they are lifers. It's not like The Usos don't have a personality, they've displayed it several times in all shows but Raw/Smackdown. It's just on those shows they look like robots.

Zach

Just like back in the NWA Saturday Night days. You have the World, US, Mid-Atlantic, TV, World Tag, US Tag.....

It needs to be Starrcade '84 and the like all over again, daddeh!

Singles match for the NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship
Singles match for the NWA Florida Heavyweight Championship
Singles match for the NWA Brass Knuckles Championship
Singles match for the NWA Mid-Atlantic Heavyweight Championship
Singles match for the NWA World Television Championship and $10,000
Singles match for the NWA United States Championship
Singles match for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and $1,000,000

Sephzilla

Off topic - Jesus Christ, I just loaded up Yahoo's homepage and they have spoilers for 3 different fucking things right there in their article images.

Edit - fuck, new Page.

2c669c47db081ea838724ac1a1387724b9d73446_hq.gif

RBH

Off topic - Jesus Christ, I just loaded up Yahoo's homepage and they have spoilers for 3 different fucking things right there in their article images.

Edit - fuck, new Page.

2c669c47db081ea838724ac1a1387724b9d73446_hq.gif

It's so appropriate how that DDP gif has a Yahoo watermark in your post :lol

The New Day sell a ton of merchandise. And unlike other tag-teams or stables listed, asides from Big-E I don't see them going with a main event route with Kofi and Xavier. It's a good choice currently for them, they get segments every week and are incredibly over. I can't blame Kofi for saying he would quit if New Day got disbanded, it's the most fun he's had during his entire WWE run and it ending would surely mean he would fade into the background again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you put the letter "H" in place of the "PL" in "BRAND SPLIT", you have my exact opinion of this news.

I stopped watching last time they did this, and I'll probably stop watching again. Having two separate belts is legitimately idiotic and annoying.

On the plus side, at least Mauro gets to announce on a show that kind of matters.

KissVibes

Banned
Xavier's also on record saying he'll quit if they split, I think Big E is too, and none of them want one of them being pushed to the top without the others. It's why they've never done anything more than tag titles.

I'm sure I'd say that too...until someone tells me I'm going to be world champion.

Smackdown has been on USA since January, unfortunately USA likes ratings and Raw is by far their most consistent, highest rated program. They like the padding that those ratings give them.

Kinda poorly laid out too. What happened to goodlooking webpage designs

Yahoo doesn't have the money for professional web designers so they hired someone who use to make their own websites on Geocities back in the late 90s that would haphazardly put a ton of GIFs their page.

I'm sure I'd say that too...until someone tells me I'm going to be world champion.

I can't imagine anyone in New Day would be promised such a thing. Not that Kofi and Big E don't have the chops to be in the title picture, but I think the WWE would have done it by now if it was going to happen.

Aiii

So not worth it
If they keep treating Smackdown like a redheaded stepchild, the brand split will fail on arrival.

You mean the -now Live- show on the same Network as Raw, with the better anouncers, the better runtime and the better showrunner than Raw?

I think its Raw that should be worried, not Smackdown.

If they keep treating Smackdown like a redheaded stepchild, the brand split will fail on arrival.

No, see. What happens is that *because* Vince doesn't care about smackdown, once they can run their own storylines and book their own matches (since it doesn't effect what Vince is doing on RAW) things will likely get better. I stand by my belief that Smackdown was the better show for most of the brand split, and that this is a good part of the reason why.

KissVibes

Banned
I can't imagine anyone in New Day would be promised such a thing. Not that Kofi and Big E don't have the chops to be in the title picture, but I think the WWE would have done it by now if it was going to happen.

Eventually, WWE will want to capitalize on the fact that big media is finally, slowly taking "we want representation" seriously and in an effort to appear as one of the most progressive and welcoming companies they'll do a black champion run. The only person over enough to do it, with the ability to handle a legit run is Big E. Keep in mind this will probably take like two years so anyone could come up and take that spot. Maybe it'll be Crews. Maybe Darren.

Top Bottom