• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

JavyOO7

I'd like for new day to stay together forever even if their act gets stale. I see them all floundering and no forward progress if they were to separate... I don't trust WWE to recognize their wonderful charisma as a single entity.

bjork

Eventually, WWE will want to capitalize on the fact that big media is finally, slowly taking "we want representation" seriously and in an effort to appear as one of the most progressive and welcoming companies they'll do a black champion run. The only person over enough to do it, with the ability to handle a legit run is Big E. Keep in mind this will probably take like two years so anyone could come up and take that spot. Maybe it'll be Crews. Maybe Darren.

It'll be Xavier. He seems more along the line of what they want for talk show appearances and stuff. He might not be the guy who's going to put on some five-star wrestling clinic, but who is, nowadays?

Ithil

Well yeah, one would assume AJ Styles is being looked at to be among the main eventers of Smackdown.

Also, really excited for split PPV's again, two months build-up to matches instead of rushing from big show to big show. Might actually get some title changes on TV again.

On the other hand, prepare to have some impressively lame undercard matches on the split PPVs as they struggle to fill the three hours with half a roster. Social Outcasts vs the Ascension or some such.

I wonder if they'll have the balls to move Cena to Smackdown full time.

klonere

Banned
On the other hand, prepare to have some impressively lame undercard matches on the split PPVs as they struggle to fill the three hours with half a roster. Social Outcasts vs the Ascension or some such.

I wonder if they'll have the balls to move Cena to Smackdown full time.

How else are they going to keep him away from Ramen?

Ithil

It didn't make sense because they constantly refused to break up, and the company forced their hand by having it happen to close a Raw and not telling them it was happening until minutes before, so they couldn't change it or do anything about it

New Day constantly refused to break up too, so they're on borrowed time. Enjoy Kofi and Xavier while we can

Kofi straight up said he will retire from WWE if they break up the New Day.

I don't see why they should break up anyway, what happened to teams being allowed to last for years?

bjork

Can't believe you guys no sold my Usos storyline plan.

Kofi straight up said he will retire from WWE if they break up the New Day.

Dudes say a lot in wrassling. But, I'm sure he knows when New Day is done, he's not long for this WWE world.

klonere

Banned
Man, Raw / Smackdown will just be nothing more than an excuse for 50 / 50 booking.

Dolph Ziggler gonna be face of company soon.

Actually if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt (!!!!!WARNING!!!!) a lot of the win trading occurs from Raw > Smackdown. So Uso #1 will be pinned by Gallows on Raw but the rematch on Smackdown will have Uso #2 pin Anderson. If they are splitting the talent roster then there won't have as much opportunities to do so, at least in the same week...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem with the brand split is you have to double up all of your belts, which makes all of them stupid because Sami Zayn or some shit can win the wiener belt on SmackDown and pretend he's the world champ.

I mean, solution is to make the champions appear on both programs (although in reality they only appear on one since they feud with someone specific).

bjork

The problem with the brand split is you have to double up all of your belts, which makes all of them stupid because Sami Zayn or some shit can win the wiener belt on SmackDown and pretend he's the world champ.

I mean, solution is to make the champions appear on both programs (although in reality they only appear on one since they feud with someone specific).

3xP6my2.jpg

looks hot, dudes should feud over this

Ithil

Can't believe you guys no sold my Usos storyline plan.

Dudes say a lot in wrassling. But, I'm sure he knows when New Day is done, he's not long for this WWE world.

Eh, he's been in WWE a long time, he's a good 5 or 6 years older than Big E/Xavier, and his years of languishing as a perennial midcard champion can make it clear without the New Day he's never going anywhere. This is the first time since 2009 he's been focused on meaningfully, and it's obviously going to be the highlight of his entire career.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having two world titles that are theoretically equal is just a stupid look.

Ithil

I don't think they should introduce a second World title, tag title etc. Just let the World champ, tag champs and Women's champ move freely between the two shows so you can better rotate through challengers, and make the IC title and US titles brand specific.

If I read it correctly the press mentioned "distinct" styles. So it's plausible one brand will be the traditional WWE approach while the other could be more like NXT.

This just feels weird to me. I can see the shows being more boring thanks to even more in-ring promos which are already feeling long in the tooth. I like New Day but I can do without the 5 minute plus promo every week. I'm already tired of Enzo because they do the same, but they're more repetative.

I don't think they should introduce a second World title, tag title etc. Just let the World champ, tag champs and Women's champ move freely between the two shows so you can better rotate through challengers, and make the IC title and US titles brand specific.

I agree with this. Have more #1 contender's matches on each show, and have the actual contenders meet and be decided on Raw, since it's technically the "main" show.

Striker

How do you think Edge won 11 world titles in like 4 years?
Edge became champion first in 2006 when the shows had star power. A bigger problem is when guys who aren't quite ready get WHC runs and get multiple chances (CM Punk who is a 3x WHC).

The two-belt system might be beneficial when there's many main event caliber guys (like there was between 2003 until 2007). It allowed guys like Eddie to get a run because Triple H was hoarding the title on the other show for years.

New page?

qfvl.gif

Ithil

I agree with this. Have more #1 contender's matches on each show, and have the actual contenders meet and be decided on Raw, since it's technically the "main" show.

Eh, I think the second you make RAW the "main show" in the brand split the entire split is dead in the water. That's what happened to wreck the last one in the end, Smackdown stopped mattering and eventually they just ended the split.

Mahonay

Banned
If I read it correctly the press mentioned "distinct" styles. So it's plausible one brand will be the traditional WWE approach while the other could be more like NXT.

This just feels weird to me. I can see the shows being more boring thanks to even more in-ring promos which are already feeling long in the tooth. I like New Day but I can do without the 5 minute plus promo every week. I'm already tired of Enzo because they do the same, but they're more repetative.
Maybe it'll force their hand in giving some of the other talent character development time, instead of the same like 10 people every single week.

Ithil

I really don't know how they're going to handle the women with this split, the roster of women is tiny as it is, and there are only a few good ones still.

I like this idea too. One thing I hated since coming back to wrestling was understanding how some guys are "8 time champs" despite only holding the WWE WHC belt once or twice.

Angry Grimace

How do you think Edge won 11 world titles in like 4 years?

Why do you think its stupid? Because having two titles sucks and it gives them an excuse to fudge a bunch of shit for no legitimate reason, like letting Roman break CM Punks title reign or some shit

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I really don't know how they're going to handle the women with this split, the roster of women is tiny as it is, and there are only a few good ones still.

Women/Tag Teams should never be split imo. Although I would not be opposed to seeing the Dudleys be broken up so we could get Bully Ray 2.0

"Nash’s first move was to present a Nitro that featured no wrestling in the first hour. None. Not a single solitary match. You might recall that Nitro was a wrestling show. Apparently, Nash thought that wrestling on this wrestling show was unnecessary, and he booked the show like this to prove that they’d draw the same rating if they had zero matches in the first hour as they would if there were ten."

I actually liked when Nash did this, I thought it was pretty cool. I mean I remember the way they introduced Torrie at a firing range ior something like that.

Ithil

Maybe move up some of the NXT lady jobbers?

The NXT women's roster is already paper thin after losing Sasha/Becky/Charlotte and now Emma/Dana. Gotta step up that recruitment big time. Nikki Storm/Athena are good pick-ups but they're only two people.

Bubba T

Why do you think its stupid? Because having two titles sucks and it gives them an excuse to fudge a bunch of shit for no legitimate reason, like letting Roman break CM Punks title reign or some shit

You know, the funny thing about the two world titles was how much more important the title that was on Raw was.

Like all the prepping and prodding they did for the WHC when it was on Raw, only to have it switched to Smackdown and won by guys like Ziggler and Swagger while the other belt was esteemed THE belt.

Top Bottom