• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wonder when Kamaitachi gets big enough that someone sends Trips a gif of him and Trips gets on board.

Kamaitachi is straight up the best wrestler going right now. He's got everything going for him. His wrestling ability, his mannerisms, his charisma, his storytelling in a match, his look is perfect for the role he's playing.

Zach

I don't know what I'm talking about, but maybe having separate brands will keep the high touring rate, but kind of split it, giving the wrasslers a reduced schedule? Or something? Have they ever discussed something like that, or is it always about touring more more more?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Brand split kind of makes sense. There is so much underused talent on the roster right now.

It literally depends how you define the word "talent." The guys with talent are used all of the time. The "talent" in terms of people with pulses aren't used that much, no.

klonere

Banned
Based on their in-ring performance in 2016 only, who makes your current Top 5?

1.) AJ Styles
2.) Kevin Owens
3.) Shinsuke Nakamura
4.) Sami Zayn
5.) Roman Reigns
Bonus: Elias Samson

1. KUSHIDA
2. Will Ospreay
3. Shingo Takagi
4. AJ Styles
5. Chris Hero

Just falling short: Matt Riddle, Finn Balor, Samoa Joe, Mark Haskins. It's been an incredible year so far.

Head writer isn't the same as lead booker. HHH (and Dusty) was the booker in NXT, Ward was the writer. If Vince is still booking everything ever then not a lot will be different.

Well if they are going for a distinct feel for SD as opposed to Raw (which the press release and Variety article seem to indicate), that would lead one to believe that they will book it differently. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised at all if HHH is the main booker for SD now.

And even then, the writing side of things will be better with Ward.

Terry is the best.

eeoQ7bF.gif

Such a weird match, the only Dory vs Terry singles bout on record (outside of their formative years in Amarillo) and not one I can easily recommend. Terry said it felt like wrestling himself, as both brothers knew exactly what the other was planning, but it's not counter-for-counter stuff like you'd see today. An interesting match and one of the last really long 70's-style AJPW main events, but far from either's best.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I seriously might be done with main roster WWE if they reintroduce another world title.

I only started watching again when I found out they got rid of the stupid secondary title to begin with. The Brand Split ended for a reason, but apparently the plan is to literally pretend it never ended and run it the same way.

Ithil

Well if they are going for a distinct feel for SD as opposed to Raw (which the press release and Variety article seem to indicate), that would lead one to believe that they will book it differently. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised at all if HHH is the main booker for SD now.

And even then, the writing side of things will be better with Ward.

If they do that total split, then it has a chance of working. If they don't then SD will be the B-show again. They should be aiming for "A1 and A2" rather than A and B.

I don't understand why everyone is overreacting. You don't have to book or write for the shows so why not just sit down and watch? If it fails, then you don't have to watch it. Just let it be. It's not like you have to buy the product.

I'm not sure why people are so down on the idea of a second world title. I mean it does devalue the main belt, but then again it's not like anyone other than Roman will get significant time with that thing for the foreseeable future anyways.

This shit's all kinda exciting sounding, but I can't be the only one who feels like this is a double edged sword. I like having alternatives to the WWE product and, while I won't begrudge any wrestler making bank for what they put their bodies through, I'd hate to see those alternatives too diminished by WWE's "aggressive" recruitment. I sometimes feel like WWE want to be the only game in town.

Ithil

I'm not sure why people are so down on the idea of a second world title. I mean it does devalue the main belt, but then again it's not like anyone other than Roman will get significant time with that thing for the foreseeable future anyways.

Well the only reason we have such "Former World Champions" as Jack Swagger or the Great Khali is down to having two World titles, one main one and one "extra" one.

Since they never managed to get them actually being equal and by the last few years of it the WHC was straight up a midcard belt.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Mexico will get hurt a lot more than Japan if WWE goes on a recruiting spree. There aren't that many young up and comers or already trained since birth guys in Japan right now like Mexico has. And considering a lot of them are frustrated at their current position in their company and WWE is going hard for the Latino market?

AAA and CMLL need to watch their shit
Say goodbye to Rush

He jobbed clean to Jidnrak the other week. That says to me that he's gone soon

Angry Grimace

I don't understand why everyone is overreacting. You don't have to book or write for the shows so why not just sit down and watch? If it fails, then you don't have to watch it. Just let it be. It's not like you have to buy the product.

Because it was garbage the first time and they're apparently going to run it identically to the way they did the first time

Mexico will get hurt a lot more than Japan if WWE goes on a recruiting spree. There aren't that many young up and comers or already trained since birth guys in Japan right now like Mexico has. And considering a lot of them are frustrated at their current position in their company and WWE is going hard for the Latino market?

AAA and CMLL need to watch their shit

Could you see them going after the AAA/CMLL guys in LU? I feel like if Vince knew about Cage he'd have a hard on.

Menome

If I was in charge: Have a RAW and a Smackdown belt. The two who hold those by Fastlane fight to see who challenges the current WHC at Mania.

WHC is the only hopper-between shows, being put in set-up matches by the bookers like a travelling attraction.

klonere

Banned

They just had the most surefire babyface return a few days ago and they blew it off in favour of giving Roman another non-competitive challenger.

Bubba T

Meltzer says the plan is to have two world champions.

They seem negative on the idea on the basis of "they tried before and it didn't work". I disagree with the assertion that a good idea becomes a bad idea because it is executed poorly. A good idea can still work if it's executed properly.

"Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result is the very definition of insanity."

Kurita

Welcome to Tuesday Night Smackdooooown

*You know its the Mack militant, coming to get it on...*

"Now wait a second playa! It might be a NEW ERA, but Smackdown is back to the way it was before, so on tonight's main event the three of you will face THE SHINING STARS on a oldschool 6-man tag team match, and their partner will be : DA UNDERTAKA"

Well the only reason we have such "Former World Champions" as Jack Swagger or the Great Khali is down to having two World titles, one main one and one "extra" one.

Since they never managed to get them actually being equal and by the last few years of it the WHC was straight up a midcard belt.

Again, a good idea done poorly is still a good idea.

Just because there's a second world title doesn't automatically mean it has to be less valuable, we just assume it will be because that's how it was the last time we saw it, which (with a true split), was five years ago.

"Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result is the very definition of insanity."

But it wouldn't be a different result. We've seen the split work when they did it with Heyman. Yeah, it went bad in the end, but it's not an inherently bad idea.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The argument against the second world title being midcard is meaningless anyways. Having one title didn't change that. Roman became a 3 time champion in less than a year
Could you see them going after the AAA/CMLL guys in LU? I feel like if Vince knew about Cage he'd have a hard on.
Cage has already been in developmental with them. I don't think he's interested. There is also no way he passes their drug tests.

Also congrats DM. Seff almost certainly getting another "world" title reign now eventually. He can't kill both show's ratings so he'll be given the one that doesn't matter at a point

It literally depends how you define the word "talent." The guys with talent are used all of the time. The "talent" in terms of people with pulses aren't used that much, no.

I just feel like there are a lot of guys that are underused that could really benefit from more screen time and actual story lines instead of just being put out there to job. Brand split could help that.

Toki767

I wonder how they even handle crowning a new champion for Smackdown. What are the odds that Rollins and Reigns end in some sort of double pinfall?

It was garbage the entire time and they are apparently going to run it the exact same way they did the first time. Prepare for Sami Zayn to pretend to be excited about winning the B-title and constant title changes.

I am now going to use as much hyperbole as you just did.

This is the least educated and most ignorant post I have ever read on NeoGAF.

Right now Smackdown is a place where you can either watch meaningless rematches of RAW matches, or you can preview next week's RAW matches albeit with a different winner (with better commentary at least). That's it. Almost nothing important ever happens on it. It is totally skippable television.

Do you know what a brand split means? It means you get to watch yet another WWE show where Roman Reigns isn't champion for the foreseeable future. I enjoyed a *lot* of the Smackdown title reigns (depending on which belt they had as their main belt at the time). Or you know, you could watch RAW and see Randy Orton and Cena have a million matches.

The brand split got dumb when ECW came along, and things never really recovered. The biggest mistake was separate PPVs. There is no reason to do that.

kirblar

Meltzer says the plan is to have two world champions.

They seem negative on the idea on the basis of "they tried before and it didn't work". I disagree with the assertion that a good idea becomes a bad idea because it is executed poorly. A good idea can still work if it's executed properly.
It was never a good idea. It's a terrible idea that makes absolutely no sense. Splitting the undercard titles? Adding a Cruiserweight title? That makes sense.

I wonder how they even handle crowning a new champion for Smackdown. What are the odds that Rollins and Reigns end in some sort of double pinfall?

Maybe they hold a inaugural title match at Summerslam between some of the top guys drafted to Smackdown? Or a tournament perhaps?

Top Bottom