• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Sephzilla

I really don't think he will be, or if he is it won't be for long. I'm approaching this split with an open mind, but still a tad cautious.

If they go back to 2 world titles Cena's going to absolutely get a few title reigns so he can obliterate Flair's record. This just means we now have to stomach Roman's title reign along with even more Cena and Randy Orton title reigns

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
See, I was told that Raw would become terrible after Payback because it would be filled with McMahon bullshit. That's yet to happen and Raw has continued to range from fine to pretty good since then.

So this statement just comes off as unfounded pessimism.

Every other "sports league" has all the teams playing under the same banner, even if separated by divisions. If Raw and SD are truly separate, they are more akin to two separate sports leagues than they are to two divisions in the same league.

Nobody cares who the NL champ is and the AL champ is. You win the World Series or you don't.

klonere

Banned
Babymetal providing music for the next NXT TakeOver. Bizarre.

This might honestly be the most "on the pulse" thing WWE has done since I started watching

Good news for once today:

UK indy ICW (Insane Championship Wrestling) has a TV deal in Italy and it's doing fucking great apparently! Aired for 2 weeks and already 332k viewers, 310k just this week, which is literally more viewers than TNA on POP

More than TNA

AR-AM060_JORDAN_D_20160203123002.jpg

Nobody cares who the NL champ is and the AL champ is. You win the World Series or you don't.

Both the NL team and AL team play in the same MLB. Every team in the league plays each other multiple times a year with expanded interleague play.

A proper brand split wouldn't be that. It would be two separate leagues entirely. It'd be more like how NXT and Raw are now. No one cries when Balor wins the NXT title that "oh this is bullshit and doesn't matter because it's secondary", because NXT is its own brand with its own stories and titles.

kirblar

It is when you theoretically have two different "leagues" with two equivalent belts. SmackDown and Raw will be split into two separated things being run by different people with different rosters. There will be "only one champ", one in each different show, that were drafted and compete for the highest prize within their brand.

Serious question, where do you stand?
1 - You don't see the benefits of a well managed split.
or
2 - You don't believe that the WWE will manage the split correctly.
Both.

Sephzilla

Both the NL team and AL team play in the same MLB. Every team in the league plays each other multiple times a year with expanded interleague play.

A proper brand split wouldn't be that. It would be two separate leagues entirely. It'd be more like how NXT and Raw are now. No one cries when Balor wins the NXT title that "oh this is bullshit and doesn't matter because it's secondary", because NXT is its own brand with its own stories and titles.

This is a poor comparison

The NXT Title isn't billed as a world title on the same tier as the WWE WHC though.

No, but it doesn't have to be. That's my point. The comparison is unnecessary. If Smackdown exists as its own world with its own characters and stories, then the fact that it has its own world champion will be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Edit: Your edit makes even less sense than your initial point.

The WWE Champion, Women's Champion and Tag Champions should have to take challenges from both rosters, then bring back the European title and make the EU title and the US title the exclusive single titles of each brand, respectively.

The Tag Titles and Women's Title being exclusive to a brand is way, way better. Also opens the door for the Women's Tag Title being reactivated down the road for that brand and the women on it.

I don't care if someone thinks I'm joking or being unironic or a gimmick or whatever, because this must be said:

Getting Babymetal to provide a theme for a Takeover is the best thing HHH has ever contributed to wrestling

Sephzilla

No, but it doesn't have to be. That's my point. The comparison is unnecessary. If Smackdown exists as its own world with its own characters and stories, then the fact that it has its own world champion will be a good thing, not a bad thing.

Edit: Your edit makes even less sense than your initial point.

WWE will make the comparison though or make them equal. That's why John Cena is viewed as a 15 time world champion instead of a 8 time WWE Champion and 7 time World Heavyweight Champion.*

*My numbers for the split are made up but you get the point.

notworksafe

WWE has done far, far, FAR worse than Babymetal. What Wrestlemania was it where Limp Bizkit was introduced as "WWE's favorite band in the whole world"?

WWE will make the comparison though or make them equal. That's why John Cena is viewed as a 15 time world champion.

Crediting someone with a reign and constantly making the comparison are two different things. There's no guarantee that that is what they'll do. It's completely possible the shows will be different and treated as such to the degree where the comparison to the current Raw/NXT relationship is accurate. We don't know. Which is why this discussion is mostly circles.

I'm optimistic, most people aren't and I understand why. That's fine. The assertion that a brand split can't work is what I have an issue with. It can absolutely work and work well with two world titles. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

Orton actually considered Cody as one of his friends at work. He should've fought.... Actually nvm we saw what Cena did for Ryder. Talk about humiliation lol.

Sephzilla

Crediting someone with a reign and constantly making the comparison are two different things. There's no guarantee that that is what they'll do. It's completely possible the shows will be different and treated as such to the degree where the comparison to the current Raw/NXT relationship is accurate. We don't know. Which is why this discussion is mostly circles.

I'm optimistic, most people aren't and I understand why. That's fine. The assertion that a brand split can't work is what I have an issue with. It can absolutely work and work well with two world titles. Whether it will or not remains to be seen.

Considering how adverse WWE is to change, I think it's safe to assume that the brand split would be pretty similar to how the split used to be

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I imagine Haitch didn't think about getting Baby Metal for NXT on his own, who do you think suggested it?

Finn, Nak, or Asuka?

The answer is seriously that HHH is probably capable of using the internet to find out what kind of quirky ass shit will be well received by NXT fans.

XenoRaven

NJPW partners with Amuse, which I think manages Babymetal, so they could show up at Wrestle Kingdom sometime.

Maybe they can play Kenny Omega to the ring so I get the dual enjoyment of hearing them play and seeing the Data reaction post.

Top Bottom