• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

It's because nobody seems to get that you don't go all out on House Show, TV, or even undercard PPV matches. You go all out when it matters the most. But hey, let them go all out for that 2.5 rating on monday night.

It's why Nakamura's my favorite.

You see him in WK or at Takeover, and then you see him at the average house show in either company, and you'll swear you're seeing two vastly different people because of how much he phones it in. Don't get me wrong, he's still in the worst physical shape, but that's mostly because he's had one month off in 4 years and the human body tends to need more healing time

klonere

Banned
Not her first concussion, not her first injury, not her first injury this year, and not even her first injury in the past few months. "Injury prone" and Bryan comparisons from Vince are unfortunately deserving at this point. She needs to change something in-ring or she won't be around in 2020

Fucked up that I had to say those things about Bryan, fucked up that I have to say them again about someone else. This generation of wrestlers is getting out of hand

how else you meant to get over in an era where your storylines are more or less dictated to you from on high, your lines are scripted from on high, your pushes are random, your schedule is insane, the whims of VKM are random, you get randomly beat, you get random wins. So much is out of control. Except your body. You can throw it around and beat it up as much as you are willing to because its the only thing you can control more than every other element in pro wrestling to get yourself over. Ergo, if you are so inclined and such a mark for the business you are going to fucking kill yourself to get over because you love it so much.

Striker

Today marks the 20th anniversary of Scott Hall's Nitro debut.
If only these guys and their show did something as highly climatic and memorable as the DX "invasion" of WCW. Who cares about the nWo, Sting, Goldberg, or WWF guys like Rock and Austin?

9SHijn9.jpg

klonere

Banned
Wait, Rusev was Russian first? Was this Vince getting another hard-on for USA vs [Insert country here]?

It was back when people realized that Putin was an excellent comic book villain, he was all over the news as the "strong leader" who "gets things done" despite being an unabashedly facist tyrant.

Great heel material. Then it got too hot when Russian backed rebels shot down MH17 over Ukraine.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So when I think of how politics and pop culture are often compared to wrestling, this is the element that seems most transferable: not the outlandish characters or the jumbo-size threats, but the insistence on telling a great story with no regard for the facts. Donald Trump can claim there were thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheering when the World Trade Center came down. Bill Clinton can lend weight to the myth of pedantic Bernie Bros overwhelming our national political discourse. Michael Jordan can say he was cut from his varsity basketball team, but was driven enough to overcome the slight. Kim Kardashian can say she married Kris Humphries for love, not ratings. Chance the Rapper can brand himself as an independent, unsigned artist, even though his last two mixtapes were released exclusively through Apple, the 12th-largest corporation in the world. And the WWE can honor the recently deceased wrestling star Chyna as a trailblazer, even though it blacklisted her for an entire decade. Each of these doctored realities is close enough, a problem only for pedants.

I said goddamn.

Just thought I'd stick my head in (just the tip) to see if there's any wrasslin' worth leaving my self-imposed post-mania grapplin' hiatus for. Thoughts n' queries:

a) Gutted I missed the avi rumble, there's a Wunderkind in all of us just waiting to get out.

tumblr_lzang9nCpH1r324lio2_250.gif

b) Where can one watch 'Ricospreay'?

c) Is this love, that i'm feeling?

d) Brand split? With another heavyweight title? How will they pull that off without gutting the shit out of NXT?

It was back when people realized that Putin was an excellent comic book villain, he was all over the news as the "strong leader" who "gets things done" despite being an unabashedly facist tyrant.

Great heel material. Then it got too hot when Russian backed rebels shot down MH17 over Ukraine.

Remember when Vince thought it was a smart idea to have Slaughter & Sheik as Iraqi sympathizers and feud with Hogan?

d) Brand split? With another heavyweight title? How will they pull that off without gutting the shit out of NXT?

That's the plan. They need to pad both rosters to make this work, and Bayley/Finn/Nakamura were already expected to be called up soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more team go up too

klonere

Banned
I said goddamn.

Everything is carny.

This election cycle especially. I can't believe we've gone from Obama to this. What a fucking pushback.

Remember when Vince thought it was a smart idea to have Slaughter & Sheik as Iraqi sympathizers and feud with Hogan?

Yeah, the equivalent to that nowadays would have been Rusev saying "YOU AMERICANS ARE TOO WEAK TO STOP US WHEN WE SHOOT DOWN YOUR PUNY PLANES" afther MH17 went down. Absolutely disgusting.

That's the plan. They need to pad both rosters to make this work, and Bayley/Finn/Nakamura were already expected to be called up soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see at least one more team go up too

From the top of my head, Finn, Joe, Nak, American Alpha, Bayley, Asuka and The Mechanics and Bliss could all transfer to the main roster without issue tomorrow if they wanted them to.

Doesn't leave much on the NXT show though, not sure Elias Sampson and Nia Jax would be enough to carry the brand.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Do any of you pay for the Observer? $10.99 / month
I do whenever there's a big sale available.

Yeah, the equivalent to that nowadays would have been Rusev saying "YOU AMERICANS ARE TOO WEAK TO STOP US WHEN WE SHOOT DOWN YOUR PUNY PLANES" afther MH17 went down. Absolutely disgusting.
IIRC, Lana said the MH17 plane shooting was "American propaganda". I remember laughing my ass off at how tasteless it was.

It just seems like so much money considering it costs more than the damn WWE Network and Netflix....ughhh wish there was a way to read them for free (I know we can't as it would be stealing, I'm just saying wow it cost more than the Network!)

From the top of my head, Finn, Joe, Nak, American Alpha, Bayley, Asuka and The Mechanics and Bliss could all transfer to the main roster without issue tomorrow if they wanted them to.

Doesn't leave much on the NXT show though, not sure Elias Sampson and Nia Jax would be enough to carry the brand.

That's all three of their champions, wouldn't make much sense for them to go up with the split. Unless of course The End is literally thee end of current NXT

It just seems like so much money considering it costs more than the damn WWE Network and Netflix....ughhh wish there was a way to read them for free

It's pretty good value. Enough podcasts you'll find hundreds of hours of something you like, and an abundance of history spanning more companies than the Network contains. That said, there need to be more sales

Ithil

This Cruiserweight Classic is probably gonna lead to a lot of new recruits, not all of them, but probably all the impressive ones. That can help pad out NXT's losses, plus they're bringing in folk like Bobby Roode soon.

I think Asuka might be there a while longer though, she'll be the face of their women's division when Bayley is gone, and they don't really have anyone ready to take that spot.

bjork

It's 7:50 am. They say FedEx can deliver as early as 8 am, but my schedule delivery is today by noon. I am so sleepy right now. There's no way I'm going to make it...

I wish I gave a shit about the past issues and history...I don't. Seems like half the cost of the sub would be for that stuff when all I care about is the current week. Meltz should make a $5-6 monthly option for the current week or past 2 weeks only

klonere

Banned
I do whenever there's a big sale available.

IIRC, Lana said the MH17 plane shooting was "American propaganda". I remember laughing my ass off at how tasteless it was.

Oh god I wasn't really watching back then. Oh GOD that's horrific.

Do any of you pay for the Observer? $10.99 / month

Yes, slowly cutting down my listening though, Alvarez is insufferable on the modern product. The retro show + Meltz + the newsletter are all good enough though.

Wish they'd go after ROH harder though, you can tell they have the kid gloves on when talking about them because of their arrangement.

Top Bottom