• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

The cool thing about Kane's theme is, the fact that it sounds like someone rising from the fire. Imagine a house being burned while you listen to the song.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I don't understand, the shirts look nothing alike. Care to clue a Dutch guy in?

it's the logo

kWtOzNo.png

BFIB

Vader needs to accept that wrestling is fake and about entertaining the crowd, not pretending it's MMA. We already have MMA for MMA. Let wrestling be the fake ballet mock fights it's supposed to be.

I'd much rather see a classic Flair/Steamboat than the flippidy floppidy overselling that is put out today.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vader needs to accept that wrestling is fake and about entertaining the crowd, not pretending it's MMA. We already have MMA for MMA. Let wrestling be the fake ballet mock fights it's supposed to be.

People need to accept that wrestling is supposed to be about making a fake fight look authentic and entertaining the crowd through a story, not a circus competition. We already have circuses for circuses. Let wrestling be the fake sports soap opera it's supposed to be.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Meanwhile Okabayashi/Zeus and Sekimoto/Miyahara happened days and people are out there declare the wrestling as a dead thing.

Plus everyone just watching the gifs and not the whole damn match, don't wanna give Bushiroad that 999yen.

And the state of AJPW's attendance vs NJPW's shows which is working with audiences and which isn't.

All modern wrestling is heading towards being watched strictly by GIFs m8.

klonere

Banned
People need to accept that wrestling is supposed to be about making a fake fight look authentic and entertaining the crowd through a story, not a circus competition. We already have circuses for circuses. Let wrestling be the fake sports soap opera it's supposed to be.

why not both

Aiii

So not worth it
I'd much rather see a classic Flair/Steamboat than the flippidy floppidy overselling that is put out today.

Flair oversold everything by flipetyflopping all over the ring.

Real talk, those pulled punches are never going to look real and the shit they need to do to make it look real actually physically hurts them more than NFL Footballers manage to do so that is not going to happen anywhere than in company's that don't give a shit about performer's health.

Knowing the end result of concussions and self-medicating beat-up wrestlers has certainly killed my enjoyment of "real looking" fake fighting.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Real talk, those pulled punches are never going to look real and the shit they need to do to make it look real actually physically hurts them more than NFL Footballers manage to do so that is not going to happen anywhere than in company's that don't give a shit about performer's health.

Knowing the end result of concussions and self-medicating beat-up wrestlers has certainly killed my enjoyment of "real looking" fake fighting.

Here's the thing

Will Ospreay and Ricochet are going to end up even more banged up than the stiff fake punch guys because their knees are going to be completely shot at a young age. Look at Minoru Suzuki who took a bunch of real hits to the head, looks fine. Kobashi took a bunch of stiff hits to the head, looks fine.

Now look at Dynamite Kid, Rey Mysterio, and Great Muta. One's in a wheelchair, and the other two struggle to walk. Cauliflower ear > Liquid knees.
why not both

Because one overwhelms the other and continues to do so. Even the older guys in NJPW work extremely fast paced matches. I think it's why Naito's heel gimmick works so well. Because it's the opposite of everything NJPW has been for the last 15 years. People want non-stop spots and big crowd popping moves.

That's one thing about the old fucks in lucha libre being so relevant. The young kids can do the flips but the old fucks are going to slow that shit down and work a brawl or a technical match and invest the fans. One feels like fun filler, and the other feels like a match to me.

klonere

Banned
And the state of AJPW's attendance vs NJPW's shows which is working with audiences and which isn't.

All modern wrestling is heading towards being watched strictly by GIFs m8.

BJW seem to be doing pretty well off what they are doing.

This is the one time of year where the Jrs. are the focus of the promotion, the crowds are reacting very well to Naito on top judging by Dominion numbers and he isn't exactly a flippy flopper.

All media in general is being consumed in shorter and shorter forms, that's not just a wrestling thing.

Aiii

So not worth it
Here's the thing

Will Ospreay and Ricochet are going to end up even more banged up than the stiff fake punch guys because their knees are going to be completely shot at a young age. Look at Minoru Suzuki who took a bunch of real hits to the head, looks fine. Kobashi took a bunch of stiff hits to the head, looks fine.

Now look at Dynamite Kid, Rey Mysterio, and Great Muta. One's in a wheelchair, and the other two struggle to walk. Cauliflower ear > Liquid knees.

Not really looking for an argument, so yeah, sure. You watch what you like, I will watch what I like and we're both good.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Miyahara vs Akebono and Shiozaki vs Akebono did more to build me as fans of theirs than any of their stuff with guys like Kotaro or Kanemaru because they built to me, they got me invested in seeing them defeat and overcome. If Akebono was moving around like Matt Morgan, or bumping for them like Corbin was bumping for Aries, it would have been a complete wash.

That's one reason why I think Minoru Suzuki is so fucking good. He can do both. He can drag things down and keep it interesting, playing the vile heel that builds up the face as the hero. Or he can keep up just as fast as the hero and makes him seem impossible to defeat before dragging the face back down to reality again.

Nekofrog

Banned
What can you guys tell me about Candice LeRae. I saw one of her matches and really liked it, but I know very little about her. What is worth watching in her career?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What can you guys tell me about Candice LeRae. I saw one of her matches and really liked it, but I know very little about her. What is worth watching in her career?

She's been in the indies for a while and does a lot of intergender wrestling. I think she used to be Human Tornado's valet for a while where they did a very classy and tasteful angle. She's currently the target of Joey Ryan leaching all of her heat to try to stay relevant until DDT can get him viral again.

Flippydippy guys are going to have a hilariously short shelf life, so you might as well enjoy your crash TV while you can. Meanwhile all my faves are going to still have use of their legs 20 years from now.

XenoRaven

I tune out anytime someone talks about "where x is headed", without any additional context. Feels like something old people say. "I'm worried about where America is headed." Why? Because of more options and more diversity? Things you don't like are preventing you from enjoying things you do like?

Watching that gif made me eyeroll more times than both of those guys flipped combined. But I don't take it as an indication that wrestling is headed down the tubes.

Different types of wrestling can co-exist. Different types of wrestling have been co-existing for decades. In many cases, different types of wrestling have been co-existing in the same promotions on the same shows. I don't see that as being a big deal, and I don't see that as something that's going to destroy the type of wrestling I like.

Also, I'm getting into dangerous territory here, but the guy known for being a super heavyweight and doing a moonsault criticizing flips strikes me as slightly hypocritical.

klonere

Banned
Jesus Tozawa delivering two 4+ star matches in a few days for Dragon Gate's King of Gate tournament. I know I've said it a bunch before but this dude is going to tear up the CWC.

Also people judging that Ricochet/Ospreay match off gifs need to take an L and stop talking about imho friends

Fully-Loaded-2000-gifs-001_036.gif

You couldn't pay me enough to take that.
I was salty as fuck that Val still won that one.
Tazz and his damn camera, he deserved the abuse from Beef.

The cool thing about Kane's theme is, the fact that it sounds like someone rising from the fire. Imagine a house being burned while you listen to the song.
So much character even his theme ignites the imagination.

Flippydippy guys are going to have a hilariously short shelf life, so you might as well enjoy your crash TV while you can. Meanwhile all my faves are going to still have use of their legs 20 years from now.

Kane in 2036.
Exactly, and that's why the fragile Daniel Bryan's only WWE title defense was against the enduring beast of WWE, they were trying to show him the way but it was too late.

Top Bottom