• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

But they did. Vince made it right, for both of them. I don't know what more you want, except it's just selective for most people to pretend there was no resolution. Like Punk didn't get a year with the championship. Like Bryan didn't win at Mania 30. You were given EXACTLY what you asked for.

Lol,you have a selective memory both punk and Bryan were treated like shit as champ. When Johnny Ace is main eventing a ppv you are not a good champ. Or being thown into shitty Kane fueds

Sephzilla

just omg at this whole argument happening again

I thought a 2 month break got it out of everyone's system but I also thought 2 years would be enough to leave Punk alone

Greatly underestimating this community

The salt content of WrassleGAF always spikes when Punk is brought up, whether it be past WWE stuff or UFC news.

But they did. Vince made it right, for both of them. I don't know what more you want, except it's just selective for most people to pretend there was no resolution. Like Punk didn't get a year with the championship. Like Bryan didn't win at Mania 30. You were given EXACTLY what you asked for.
I think this is the point where some cry that those weren't the original plans because that matters for some reason.

XenoRaven

Dusty Rhodes looked like a hot mess and he's a legend.

It's weird to me that people would rather see someone who looks good than someone who actually is good, but I don't get to dictate what people like. I will say that talent and charisma can overcome look, and I think it's disingenuous to say that someone with a certain look will never amount to anything because they don't have a "broad appeal". They may not have appeal to you, but others might feel differently.

People cite media appearances like it's the end-all be-all of public perception. But if a guy like KO can keep the hosts and the audience engaged through with his personality, then that's still a win, regardless of what first impressions based on look are.

klonere

Banned
just omg at this whole argument happening again

I thought a 2 month break got it out of everyone's system but I also thought 2 years would be enough to leave Punk alone

Greatly underestimating this community

Yeah it was an ill judged joke by me.

Apologies for nearly killing the thread again :( (seriously)

Omg dude do you not know Sir Mix-A-Lot?

is that the Nicki Minaj song

yeah I just didn't get the reference off the bat

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol,you have a selective memory both punk and Bryan were treated like shit as champ. When Johnny Ace is main eventing a ppv you are not a good champ. Or being thown into shitty Kane fueds

It's not Vince's fault they were poor champions. He gave them the ball. They stood still.

Sephzilla

I still can't believe that Daniel Bryan vs CM Punk for the title wasn't the main event for a PPV but John Cena vs Johnny Ace was. I mean, holy fuck, you can't defend awful booking like that.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I think a champion should have a good look. Kevin Owens does not have that. There was a saying from a while back, and I forgot which wrestler said it so I'll paraphrase, but a champ should look like a million bucks, and that he can kick the shit out of you.

Ryback has this look. Big E has it. Roman has it. Rock has it, etc. In my eyes, Kevin Owens does not have it. If it were based on ability then he would be in the discussion, but let's not pretend that the WWE champ is always based on ability. Look has always been important.

Ryback does not have that look.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe that Daniel Bryan vs CM Punk for the title wasn't the main event for a PPV but John Cena vs Johnny Ace was. I mean, holy fuck, you can't defend awful booking like that.

Cena vs Ace had more importance. The championship wasn't able to help elevate Punk to the very top in this situation, as Cena vs the GM was more important to the majority of people watching.

I agree it was far BETTER but that's with my criteria on what I enjoy. Not everyone appreciates it.

bjork

Fellows, I looked at the Rebecca Knox lingerie video, and I have to admit, I felt dirty. I've watched people take healthy dumps on each other without blinking an eye, but I got the guilties looking at this young lady roll around in her panties.

Am I dying?

When are we getting the "Seth's run as champ was well booked and his character good" take on history
When he comes back! I think we're over the Kane/Big Show era...thankfully. I don't know about good "character" though. Just don't constantly put him on the screen.

ie0mW.gif

cEDJM.gif

Look at that ball

I think a champion should have a good look. Kevin Owens does not have that. There was a saying from a while back, and I forgot which wrestler said it so I'll paraphrase, but a champ should look like a million bucks, and that he can kick the shit out of you.

Ryback has this look. Big E has it. Roman has it. Rock has it, etc. In my eyes, Kevin Owens does not have it. If it were based on ability then he would be in the discussion, but let's not pretend that the WWE champ is always based on ability. Look has always been important.

Kevin has a great look. His look is part of his appeal. The argument that every champ should look one certain way... just isn't played out in reality. Kevin looks like he could go off at any moment and he makes everything he does look legitimately damaging. So he's good to go.

As I said way way back when he was about to debut in NXT and people were skeptical about him, he was almost certainly hired in *part* for his look. They would have made him change it if they didn't want that look. They hired Kevin Steen and barely did a thing to repackage him.

Because that was who they wanted. They brought him up early... because Kevin Owens was clearly getting over, and was clearly someone who could feud with Cena. He's slowly taking over Monday Night Raw because he is the complete package. He's got a great look. He's a fantastic promo. He's a *believable* bad ass in the ring.

Give him a standard wrestling muscular physique, and he wouldn't stand out nearly as much.

I think this is the point where some cry that those weren't the original plans because that matters for some reason.

Since you brought up original plans, I just wanted to say I'm upset your hero Bryan died. Really, I truly am.

The amount of salt, water, and fire you and others would have provided over him being the one Brock squashed in 15 minutes instead of Cena would have been enough to power this forum and entire countries for generations. Wrestling has never missed out on a greater opportunity. We are weaker for it.

klonere

Banned
When he comes back! I think we're over the Kane/Big Show era...thankfully. I don't know about good "character" though. Just don't constantly put him on the screen.

They really did put him on the screen a lot didn't they? He was all over the show, way more so than Roman has been. Weird decision.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Personally, I feel like "the look" is toxic. If you're the total package like a Rick Flair, Rock, or Steve Austin its certainly nice to have. Prioritizing it above all else is why we have Reigns now. When talking about the Attitude era, one of the greatest moments ever is Foley winning the belt. When looking at recent times, people point to Bryan winning as one of the great Wrestlemania moments. I personally feel the ranking is 1. Charisma 2. In ring abililty 3. is the look. I feel like you need to have two of the three to be champ, all three is obviously better. When you look at all the up and comers not many of them have the look and are all a lot more entertaining than Reigns imo.

The original plan involved a title feud getting 3rd billing behind a stooge and Nash/HHH Sledgehammer Pole Match. Wonderful. 12 stars. Nobel prize. Get that over.

Personally, I feel like "the look" is toxic. If you're the total package like a Rick Flair, Rock, or Steve Austin its certainly nice to have. Prioritizing it above all else is why we have Reigns now. When talking about the Attitude era, one of the greatest moments ever is Foley winning the belt. When looking at recent times, people point to Bryan winning as one of the great Wrestlemania moments. I personally feel the ranking is 1. Charisma 2. In ring abililty 3. is the look. I feel like you need to have two of the three to be champ, all three is obviously better. When you look at all the up and comers not many of them have the look and are all a lot more entertaining than Reigns imo.

Biggest draw in combat sports is 5'6 145 pounds. Look means nothing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Reigns had one hell of a match with Styles. It was laid out perfectly and played to Roman's strengths while giving AJ an amazing fight. Loved every bit of it. Easily top 5 WWE match of the year, if not the top. I'd have to do some thinkin. But it was awesome, and Reigns was great in his role.

Biggest draw in combat sports is 5'6 145 pounds. Look means nothing

Doesn't work like that, not a good comparison. Dogshit comparison

Biggest draw when he's not fighting people bigger than he is. Weight classes and all.

Sephzilla

Prioritizing "the look" is why we have Roman as THE GUY right now even though he's not over and is getting more heat than Cena ever got. It's also why Cena hasn't had a heel turn in a decade. Shit, to an extent it's also why Vince kept sticking with Shawn Michaels even though HBK was a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Cagey

Banned
You're not sending the 2016 equivalent of Mick Foley to the Today Show, SportsCenter, etc.

That's mainstream, billion dollar corporation professional wrestling.

The idea that "look" doesn't matter is absurd. Have you seen Conor McGregor? "Look" doesn't necessarily mean Phil Heath.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You're not sending the 2016 equivalent of Mick Foley to the Today Show, SportsCenter, etc.

That's mainstream, billion dollar corporation professional wrestling.

The idea that "look" doesn't matter is absurd. Have you seen Conor McGregor? "Look" doesn't necessarily mean Phil Heath.

His clothing is immaculate. He looks like a million bucks.

Switch that with Owens showing up in sweatpants and a sleeveless tee-shirt with cheeto dust on it. Nah. We'll go with the guy in the suit.

Reigns had one hell of a match with Styles. It was laid out perfectly and played to Roman's strengths while giving AJ an amazing fight. Loved every bit of it. Easily top 5 WWE match of the year, if not the top. I'd have to do some thinkin. But it was awesome, and Reigns was great in his role.

Doesn't work like that, not a good comparison. Dogshit comparison

Biggest draw when he's not fighting people bigger than he is. Weight classes and all.

He was still the big draw when he jumped 2 weight classes.

His clothing is immaculate. He looks like a million bucks.

Switch that with Owens showing up in sweatpants and a sleeveless tee-shirt with cheeto dust on it. Nah. We'll go with the guy in the suit.

You think KO would burst into flames if he put on a suit or something? You think he wanders around covered in cheeto dust wearing sweatpants and sleeveless t-shirts when he isn't wrestling?

Anyone can be fitted for a suit.

Barrage

Prioritizing "the look" is why we have Roman as THE GUY right now even though he's not over and is getting more heat than Cena ever got. It's also why Cena hasn't had a heel turn in a decade. Shit, to an extent it's also why Vince kept sticking with Shawn Michaels even though HBK was a PR disaster waiting to happen.

Not over.

Yet...

Getting more heat than Cena ever got. Think about what you just posted.

Reigns in December when he was being pushed as the new Bryan? Not over.

Tweener Reigns,now? Huge reactions.

The WWE are (successfully) having their cake and eating it too.

If the number 1,criteta is that they have to be able go on the today show you already lost.

Maybe instead of appealing to 50 year old,mothers, you actually,appeal to the people that pay you money

Since you brought up original plans, I just wanted to say I'm upset your hero Bryan died. Really, I truly am.

The amount of salt, water, and fire you and others would have provided over him being the one Brock squashed in 15 minutes instead of Cena would have been enough to power this forum and entire countries for generations. Wrestling has never missed out on a greater opportunity. We are weaker for it.
My hero? Is this meant for me? Sweeney, are you ok?
They really did put him on the screen a lot didn't they? He was all over the show, way more so than Roman has been. Weird decision.
He was and it was annoying, but everyone claimed that Roman was being shoved down their throats. Funny how that works. I need another J&J Security run though. They made up for all of dragged out and boring segments with Rollins.

But yeah, I think we're at a point where we won't have those completely terrible title reigns.

Dusty Rhodes looked like a hot mess and he's a legend.

It's weird to me that people would rather see someone who looks good than someone who actually is good, but I don't get to dictate what people like. I will say that talent and charisma can overcome look, and I think it's disingenuous to say that someone with a certain look will never amount to anything because they don't have a "broad appeal". They may not have appeal to you, but others might feel differently.

People cite media appearances like it's the end-all be-all of public perception. But if a guy like KO can keep the hosts and the audience engaged through with his personality, then that's still a win, regardless of what first impressions based on look are.

But the media appearances are part of the package of being champ. I'm not saying they're the be-all-end-all like people will joke about, but they're still important. You're representing the company as a whole, and looking good while doing it is part of it, as well as people skills. Punk couldn't do it (and for a while wasn't even WILLING to do it), and Bryan was too frail to do it (and him having a filthy-looking beard didn't help things).

Bringing up Dusty is a bit weird, seeing as how he was from a completely different era. Things aren't the same right now as they were back then.

Some people are confusing Owens' character with his look. Owens has a great character, I don't think I'll ever disagree with that, and he can certainly go in the ring. But he looks like a fan rather than a champ. And that's not a good look. Again, let's not pretend that ability is solely what matters when becoming WWE Champ.

bjork

Gamespot sent Jeff Gerstmann to Good Morning America in FUBU, WWE can send Owens out in swim trunks and a t-shirt.

Watch that interview thing with Roman and Charlotte the day after WM, neither one of them knows how to talk. I'd rather have casuals go "this dude dresses like shit, but he's cool" instead of "this dude sounds like he's challenged, so who put him in a suit? They forgot his helmet."

Caderfix

Define "a million bucks", beef. Because that spectrum is wide. We have had Bob Backlund as Champ btw. I think KO looks like a Million bucks, because as soon as he steps out onto the stage, we know who and what his character is all about because he has done an amazing job bringing it to life.

I agree with this.

Except for John Cena, apparently.

I've seen Cena in a suit.

But the media appearances are part of the package of being champ. I'm not saying they're the be-all-end-all like people will joke about, but they're still important. You're representing the company as a whole, and looking good while doing it is part of it, as well as people skills. Punk couldn't do it (and for a while wasn't even WILLING to do it), and Bryan was too frail to do it (and him having a filthy-looking beard didn't help things).

Bringing up Dusty is a bit weird, seeing as how he was from a completely different era. Things aren't the same right now as they were back then.

Some people are confusing Owens' character with his look. Owens has a great character, I don't think I'll ever disagree with that, and he can certainly go in the ring. But he looks like a fan rather than a champ. And that's not a good look. Again, let's not pretend that ability is solely what matters when becoming WWE Champ.

I'd rather someone like Owens put onto a Sports Center broadcast if he's representing my company than someone like Roman. Owens handles himself far better in interviews than Reigns does, no? How great does Reigns look when he's struggling to get his words out? Are we pretending that Mick Foley and Vader never existed? I don't get it. Owens can generate interest with his appearances, and can make sure that the appropriate message is conveyed in an entertaining and compelling way. He'd do plenty to draw interest in that spot. He's compelling outside of the ring. I don't see why that suddenly stops happening because he's on the Today show or something. Heck, James Corden looks like a wrestling fan... does that prevent him from being able to promote his network or draw viewers to his show?

Top Bottom