• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| "Not a good thread. Not a bad thread. But THEE Thread" "

Strax

No. He's a pre-show on air guy. I believe Meltz said they don't cut him literally because he is married to Jennifer Hudson.

Dude is graduated from Harvard Law School and worked for the 5th largest law firm in America. I'm pretty sure he'd still be with WWE if he wasn't married to Jennifer Hudson. I wouldn't be shocked if he handled all face to face contract meetings with wrestlers along with Vince/HHH

Which one are you watching again? And I'd like to see a grade, sir.

Hmmmm, what year?

Starrcade 97

Eddie and Dean were great
DDP & Henning was pretty solid

Everything else was kind of crap. In the Zybsko/Bischoff match the moment with the "piece of iron" was just so bad. It went flying out of his boot into the fans.

Hogan/Sting was just awful, top to bottom. The more I watch of Hogan during this time the more I realize he degraded into an even more one dimensional wrestler.

I agree with Zach this is a solid D

LOL the following Nitro opening match: Glacier (to boos) against Goldberg.

Side note: I completely forgot about the laser pointer fiasco during this year. I think I recall WWE eventually banning them and kicking people out if they caught them with it.

Zach

Starrcade 97

Eddie and Dean were great
DDP & Henning was pretty solid

Everything else was kind of crap. In the Zybsko/Bischoff match the moment with the "piece of iron" was just so bad. It went flying out of his boot into the fans.

Hogan/Sting was just awful, top to bottom. The more I watch of Hogan during this time the more I realize he degraded into an even more one dimensional wrestler.

I agree with Zach this is a solid D

LOL the following Nitro opening match: Glacier (to boos) against Goldberg.

Side note: I completely forgot about the laser pointer fiasco during this year. I think I recall WWE eventually banning them and kicking people out if they caught them with it.
F'ing laser pointers.

I will say this about The Network:

In this age where so much stuff has been lost due to poor archiving you have to hand it to the Network for preserving so much of this stuff. I think it's safe to say without them doing this a lot of this stuff would have been lost.

Oersted

Smackdown spoiler:

* Darren Young approaches WWE Hall of Famer Bob Backlund and asks him to be his new life coach. Backlund says yes but Darren needs to realize wrestling is life. Their new catchphrase is "Make Darren Great Again"

How random.

Missed chance

qWflWxA.jpg

RBH

I'm catching up on Botchamania right now.

The Toy Story part in Botchamania 304 might be one of my favorite things ever

Zach

I don't recall Ultimo vs. Rey because I've watched 85,000 matches over the last two years, but I'd bet that it was a barn burner.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
No. He's a pre-show on air guy. I believe Meltz said they don't cut him literally because he is married to Jennifer Hudson.

No. This is not correct. He is kept on for his legal ability and has been a great fit.

He is? Oh thats good to hear. I can't believe how long Stardust has been around and yet at the same time it feels like he's been stuck in it forever. How does that even work? :\

Not sure if it was a personal project or he lost a bet but ugh, enough!

Yup he's resetting, which should be good. Also got his first tattoo!

The absolute weirdest fad of the 90s.

You'd be sitting there eating lunch and someone across the cafeteria would be trying to burn your eyes out with their stupid laser pen. Why?
I think it was 2nd grade, we had a teacher come in and replace our other since she was on maternity leave. When we had to go to the school church for programs and stuff, he'd walk up on the balcony and point out people playing and talking with his lazer. Shit was stupid. He was a nut though, those years in service really did something to his head.

RBH

WWE issued a survey to former subscribers of the WWEs Network today asking them if they would reconsider subscribing again. One of the more interesting choices on the survey was the option to pay $12.99 a month and get the option of Raw and Smackdown replays 24 hours after they air on the USA Network. Currently, the episodes are added to the Network's VOD 30 days after they air. So, they are at least considering the change.
-PWInsider

Bret's podcast this week was alright, nothing too major but he does talk about the decision of Natalya's match which he thought was stupid. Snd Metz said he and Hunter had a meeting and Bret crushed that by saying they just talked about Flair. Lol, I could only imagine how awkward it was.

He also talks about the Enzo situation backstage, he said Flair was freaking out. He thought Enzo broke his neck.

Here's the link to it.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/705...r-talks-preparing-for-match-with-natalya-more

klonere

Banned
Bret Hart talks about the ending of the Natalya/Charlotte match at Payback (skip to 9:38):

https://soundcloud.com/wrestlezoner...earance-talking-w-hhh-steph-enzos-injury-more

So the Montreal Screwjob ending in the Charlotte/Natalya match was Vince's idea and Bret tried to talk him out of it.

Jesus fucking christ Vince

Your trying to build a new demo with a nearly two decade old reference to one of your worst moments? That match was impossible to explain to my roommate and I had talked it the whole women's thing up so much as well.

I really don't get the hard on Vinny Mac has for referencing the screwjob for multiple match endings, off the top of my head...
- Rock vs Mankind
- Shawn Michaels vs Shane McMahon
- CM Punk vs Undertaker
and now even worming its way into a divas match.

...well okay I think we all probably get why he loves it but seriously it's such a drab way to wrap up matches with only its first reuse feeling appropriate.

Sephzilla

I really don't get the hard on Vinny Mac has for referencing the screwjob for multiple match endings

It's another one of those "it worked in the Attitude Era so it has to work now" things that I'm pretty sure Vince believes. Which is why we still have heel Authority figures to this day.

Aiii

So not worth it
Vince makes a program catering to a kid-friendly PG crowd, and enjoys referencing things that happened 20 years ago when the parents of the kids he's catering to hadn't even met yet.

Because that makes sense, right?

jmdajr

I really don't get the hard on Vinny Mac has for referencing the screwjob for multiple match endings, off the top of my head...
- Rock vs Mankind
- CM Punk vs Undertaker

...well okay I think we all probably get why he loves it but seriously it's such a drab way to wrap up matches with only its first reuse feeling appropriate.

Well you see..

- Rock vs Mankind
- CM Punk vs Undertaker

The Rock v Mankind, Dave M really wrote up a good reason for them referencing it during that period. I said, woah!

I just realised I used the term divas in this new era, I partly blame the old era match booking for this.

The only good thing about that entire feud.

The Rock v Mankind, Dave M really wrote up a good reason for them referencing it during that period. I said, woah!
I can imagine there's numerous reasons why this one worked.

Meanwhile Teddy Long screwing the Undertaker because CM Punk had been booked like arse and wasn't a believable challenger at that point wasn't quite a strong justification for smackdown screwjob.

Well at least we got "buckle up Teddy" out of it.
4HH7r1k.gif

Sorry, it's Keller

The Rock beat Mankind in the finals of the Survivor Series tournament to crown a new WWF Champion last Sunday night. Vince McMahon "screwed" Steve Austin in his bid to get past the semi-finals. The next night Austin one-upped McMahon and strong-armed him into a title shot. McMahon then "screwed" Austin once again.

In reality, Rock, Austin, and McMahon came out of the weekend smelling very good. Rock didn't come across as a breakout superstar during the Survivor Series tournament. Compared to Bret Hart's performances in tournament formats before he became perennial WWF Champion in the mid-'90s, Rock was average at best. But from a star-power standpoint, there was no question before, during, or after Survivor Series that Rock is one of the top two or three stars for the next five years for the WWF. By the end of Raw on Monday night, the WWF was all smiles as the Rock vs. Austin rematch was one of the most electrifying 20 minutes of wrestling television of the decade. It compared favorably to the atmosphere surrounding Goldberg's title win over Hogan, but rose above that because the quality of the match was several levels higher. The fan heat was so intense, it validated that Austin and Rock are the new top two stars in the WWF. Shawn who? Bret who?

Realizing how prevalent the Bret Hart swerve finish at Survivor Series had been in recent WWF booking schemes, it wasn't difficult to figure out certain elements of what would happen at Survivor Series. It was considered a given going in that Rock would win the title (especially with the WWF releasing the name of the December PPV, "Rock Bottom," more than a month ago). How he would get there would be the question.

In order to further the current Austin-McMahon storyline, it was vital for McMahon to "screw" Austin in the tournament. It made sense from a business standpoint for McMahon to screw Austin before he met Rock. Why give away Austin vs. Rock if you don't have to? Besides, the entire PPV was built around portraying Mankind in McMahon's parody image of Bret Hart last year. He portrayed Mankind as a pathetic, gullible wrestler who looked up to him as a father-figure. In the Bret Hart documentary which debuted in Canada last week, he talks about how he looked to Vince McMahon as a father-figure for years.

McMahon had been portraying himself as Mankind's best friend leading into the Survivor Series, while all along he was plotting to screw him in the main event so his real chosen one, The Rock, would end up as his Corporate Champion. By drawing some parallels between this year's storyline screwjob and last year's real-life screwjob, McMahon was able to take some steam out of the Bret Hart documentary, making it seem as if it were part of an elaborate ongoing storyline.

The next night on Raw, in a gutsy move that goes against the typical philosophy of the WWF, McMahon gave away a future PPV main event for free on television. McMahon rarely gives away a main event match on television at the start of a feud. Dating back to his days on NBC, he would save his TV matches for the end of feuds when the money was already made at house shows and on PPV. In this case, there was no backfire. What will be remembered as the first major Austin vs. Rock TV match (they've actually wrestled dozens of times at house shows and on Raw before) turned out to be a ratings bonanza. The final five minutes of the match drew a 7.2 rating. WCW in its four minute over-run drew a mere 2.7 for the hot-shotted, heavily-hyped Goldberg vs. Bam Bam Bigelow "match." More important than the rating is the long-term effect. It's likely Austin won't face Rock again until Wrestlemania (Austin will have to win the Royal Rumble to earn his title shot). The memory of the hot Raw match can do nothing but help the buyrate at Wrestlemania since the match was so exciting and memorable.

Survivor Series may mark the symbolic end of the WWF's preoccupation with the Bret Hart controversy that began over a year earlier. In 24 hours, Rock went from rivaling Austin as the most popular WWF wrestler to by far the top heel in the company. The next night on Raw he showed that he has the interview and wrestling ability to handle that top heel spot. Austin is also a big winner as he has a new credible opponent to feud with.

Fox318

Vince makes a program catering to a kid-friendly PG crowd, and enjoys referencing things that happened 20 years ago when the parents of the kids he's catering to hadn't even met yet.

Because that makes sense, right?

And featuring storylines about drug overdoses

So are Primo and Epico returning as heels or faces? Are they trying to persuade Carlito to do another run?
Lol! Could you imagine another stable but this time it's the Colonricuas? Will they come out talking about PR on the microphone?

I've come to conclusion that this is WWE's way of trying to get talent to go down and work in PR stating that it isn't bad like the 80s. Also washing Killer Colon's name clean.

jmdajr

wNwlPYP.png

Good night, Meltzamaniacs.

1. John Cena – $9.5 million
2. Brock Lesnar – $6.0 million
3. Triple H – $2.8 million
4. Randy Orton – $2.7 million
5. Seth Rollins – $2.4 million
6. Roman Reigns – $2.1 million
7. The Undertaker – $2.0 million
8. Big Show – $1.5 million
9. Kane – $1.3 million (lol)
10. Dean Ambrose – $1.1 million

So was Rusev in the top ten last year? He was practically undefeated for a year!

Top Bottom