• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Aiii

So not worth it
debating ratings has to be the silliest thing you guys do on a consistent basis

How dare we treat this like a TV show and discuss ratings like they do in every other TV show thread on GAF as if it has some bearing on how popular a TV show is and how long TV channels want keep it on air due to it's influence on ad revenue...

Stupid us. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
TV ratings don't really matter. They're an increasingly less and less accurate portrayal as their sample size keeps shrinking.

Sephzilla

You have to have some kind of irrational hatred of Cena and/or Hogan if you think their gimmicks are anything alike other than 'strong guy who wins.' Cena is closer to surfer Sting than Hogan. One's a surfer dude kind of and the other's a rapper dude, kind of. Beyond that, Hogan rarely made personal criticisms other than calling people cheaters/traitors.

If you think using an American flag makes them the same then Undertaker = Hulk Hogan.

I think you have to be somewhat delusional to not see the obvious parallels between Hogan's character and Cena's character

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think you have to be somewhat delusional to not see the obvious parallels between Hogan's character and Cena's character

I feel there are VERY few similarities between their characters. Every time a new star was "born" in WWE it was a huge departure between their last big star. From Sammartino to Hogan, from Hogan to Stone Cold, from Stone Cold to Cena, they're all very different characters.

Sephzilla

I feel there are VERY few similarities between their characters. Every time a new star was "born" in WWE it was a huge departure between their last big star. From Sammartino to Hogan, from Hogan to Stone Cold, from Stone Cold to Cena, they're all very different characters.

Stone Cold and Cena are basically night and day to each other. But Stone Cold was also night and day to Hogan. Cena is pretty much Hogan with a 21st century flavor to it. Hustle / Loyalty / Respect is the new "say your prayers and eat your vitamins", Cenation is Neo Hulkamania, they both act laid back and "cool" all the time until things get serious and they turn into their intense versions (Hogan did this much better). I'd throw in that they both have the "five moves of doom" thing going on but that's more of a WWE issue than specifically those two guys.

At least Hogan was kind enough to shill the same t-shirt for most of his career.

I think anybody would flop right now, honestly. WWE's ratings have been on a general decline for several years, albeit with a few upward spikes here and there, and while Wrestlemania 31 was awesome, it didn't have much of an "Oh, man, gotta watch tomorrow, thing are looking up" quality like WM30 had. Rollins is doing about as good as anybody could, performance-wise, but a chickenshit heel and paper champion, even a well-done and high-performing one, is not going to get people to tune in, especially when there's no sign of his comeuppance coming up anytime soon, or even a credible regularly-appearing contender for that role. The whole product just feels so anomic - what's the story? What's the hook? What is the show progressing toward from week to week? WWE's reached this place where everything just feels like a holding pattern in between big events, rather than being interesting on its own. There are high spots - heel New Day, John Cena having quality matches with mid-carders every week - but the whole thing is just so sterile and lifeless, like nobody really wants to be there and is just collecting a paycheck.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
i'd deny Hogan was ever cool and calm and collected. Very few instances where he wasn't on 90-mph or higher.

Sephzilla

To me Hogan always felt like he had "two modes" but they weren't as distinct as when Cena does it, so yeah you're right with that. It was more "cool/intense Hogan" and "intense/intense" Hogan.

klonere

Banned

also the reason people were so reticent to get behind Roman's push - no generational/character/attitude shift from one face of the company to another

I think the week by week discussion of ratings is a bit silly, they need to be viewed over the course of months rather than from Monday to Monday

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
also the reason people were so reticent to get behind Roman's push - no generational/character/attitude shift from one face of the company to another

I think the week by week discussion of ratings is a bit silly, they need to be viewed over the course of months rather than from Monday to Monday

Honestly that next big figurehead is Lesnar. He's a big shift from Cena, a huge shift not unlike before. He's legitimate, he CAN kick peoples' asses and he's kind of a shithead. I think that's a big enough shift to carry the company if you buy into the idea that the person who carries WWE is always a big departure to previous.

Now Bryan would be perfect post-Brock, as that'd be a huge shift, but...well, maybe he'll be feeling better in 6 years.

Aiii

So not worth it
TV ratings don't really matter. They're an increasingly less and less accurate portrayal as their sample size keeps shrinking.

I disagree in the sense that WWE relies heavily on TV income and their channel positioning. Not just for advertisement, but also for interest in their product, their Network subscriptions, their standing with Wall Street. Right now, their ratings are still at a point where it elevates USA Network to justify the cost. But if they keep dropping, when there are still shows which ratings actually increase, it's a worrying trend.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Honestly that next big figurehead is Lesnar. He's a big shift from Cena, a huge shift not unlike before. He's legitimate, he CAN kick peoples' asses and he's kind of a shithead. I think that's a big enough shift to carry the company if you buy into the idea that the person who carries WWE is always a big departure to previous.

Now Bryan would be perfect post-Brock, as that'd be a huge shift, but...well, maybe he'll be feeling better in 6 years.
So you're saying that if Vince does some how go blind, Kevin Owens has a chance?

Kaladin

Ever since he won the US Championship, Cena's Open Challenge has consistently been the best segment on Raw each week.

#FACT

Alucard

Banned
modern WWE wrestlers thinks 'stepping it up to impress' just means making a few extra passive aggressive posts on twitter

04f414cc9d4c74acb58205772614469b.jpeg

SHOW. OFF.

klonere

Banned

Brock would be perfect....if he was doing Raw on even a bi monthly basis. Although that near shoot style where the figurehead is presented as a legitimate sporting powerhouse is definitely where I see a lot of money.

eh its all moot really, nothing of significance will change until things start getting really bad Network and ratings side (and even then, probably back to Cena at the top as a reaction) or if well....you know Vince stops doing his thing.

Sephzilla

I would laugh though if Cena dropped the US title the Raw after Payback to some random ass guy. Rusev's burial would officially be complete.

To put the maywether fight in perspective

The MMA record is 1.6 million for UFC 100 (Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir II to unify UFC's heavyweight titles plus Georges St. Pierre vs. Thiago Alves for the welterweight title and Dan Henderson vs. Michael Bisping in the Ultimate Fighter coaches' fight), while the pro wrestling record is WrestleMania 28 in Miami with 1,253,000 buys for the first John Cena vs. The Rock match.

Kaladin

I really hope that Neville gets the IC title at the Chamber. WWE wanted a babyface work horse on both belts and Neville is the guy for that role right now on that side.

somedevil

Hasn't the second hour of Raw always been rated higher than the rest of the show?

Yep the 2nd hour is usually the highest then there is a drop in the 3rd hour. The show needs to be 2 hours anyway and its hard to judge what draws because the quarter hours don't exist anymore.

Hasney

All the match types that were removed in WWE 2k15 have been restored. Even the match maker conditions are still in the game and a program is out that let's you change them, even if they unfortunately paid for right now.

Even something as obscure as a handicap tornado first blood match is now re-selectable.

Sephzilla

All the match types that were removed in WWE 2k15 have been restored. Even the match maker conditions are still in the game and a program is out that let's you change them, even if they unfortunately paid for right now.

Even something as obscure as a handicap tornado first blood match is now re-selectable.

consoles or PC?

Top Bottom