• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin' |OT| Super Strong Style 16 - Thread Edition 2015

Why is everyone in new Japan a Cheesbruger(the ROH wrestler) fan. Liger and tanahashi love the guy

CFfwboxUIAA4dHG.jpg

Hex

Banned
God damn if the Trios on LU is not one of the best things going right now.
F'ing Anjelico.
The whole match was great.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Entropia's NXT Takeover: Unstoppable Review!

1. Breeze owns that gimmick. Loved the intro he got.
2. Finn's intro was Undertaker-esque.
3. Within 5 minutes the crowd got on my nerves.
4. I made dinner during Baron Corbin vs. Rhyno. We all knew who would win, and that Baron Corbin is boring
5. Diva's tag match was OK, seemed a little rough.
6. Enzo and Cass vs. The two other guys was good. Enzo had me hyped up on the mic. That was my first time seeing them!
7. Diva's title match was main event worthy.
8. Owens vs. Sami was a tad underwhelming. I felt it wasn't given enough time.
9. Samoa Joe!!! So awesome to see him in WWE. Curious to see how long he stays in NXT and what he does with Owens

Ithil

Q6hjoNU.png

I wonder if the orange is one night only thing like the cornrows Sasha had at one Takeover or Suzuki's white hair at WK9.

dream

I guess what I'm wondering is if NXT is doing its job the way it's presumably intended to Does the system actually discover and develop talent, or is it just an incubator for Indy wrestlers? I'm trying to think of the homegrown talent who have made it, and the only name that comes to mind is Roman.

Ithil

I guess what I'm wondering is if NXT is doing its job the way it's presumably intended to Does the system actually discover and develop talent, or is it just an incubator for Indy wrestlers? I'm trying to think of the homegrown talent who have made it, and the only name that comes to mind is Roman.

Sasha Banks should say yes, it does develop talent.

NXT show was a lot of fun. Women's title match was basically the main event. Got the most time and the big entrances. Main event was more of an angle, but it was nice to see Joe. Lots of fun matchups for him in NXT. Overall one of the better specials they've had. Eventually you'd think they'd have an off night, but they are consistently great.

Sasha Banks should say yes, it does develop talent.

Charlotte as well. She was absolutely nothing when they started with her.

dream

I'm asking because I'm legit wondering. It seems to me that the greatest talents that came out of NXT all came from Ring of Honor. Which is fine and all but now that Ring of Honor sucks cock (who the cluck is "Michael Elgin?") and there's no one left to sign, what's the next step for NXT?

Hex

Banned

Both.
But it saves indy wrestlers from having to go through the perma breaking period that they used to have to go through where Vince would go out of his way to make sure that they were utterly jobbed out and destroyed until he put a big stain on them with the WWE crowd.

Now they cycle through with the rest of the up and comers , which helps the green talent as well as helps them get used to the WWE style.
It is win win.
The greatest talents coming out of ROH is for a reason, they are all top tier guys who deserve the shot.

styl3s

Vince Russo managed to kill both TNA and WCW.

whats next?

Maybe he can book NJPW
IMO Russo was involved with the best years of TNA which was 2002-2004, maybe 2005.

TNA lived about a decade longer then it should have. (assuming it's dead for good which i still doubt)

Sephzilla

I would say Charlotte, Sasha, and Breeze are proof they can develop talent.

I do find it wierd that wwe is going after guys like joe , Owens and presuming guys like the young bucks and moose but are not doing the same for the women.

Feel like Mia yim, Athena, canidian ninjas,Evie, leva should be getting looked at. Send regal to a shimmer taping

they they should also give some international people a look as will

Ithil

I do find it wierd that wwe is going after guys like joe , Owens and presuming guys like the young bucks and moose but are not doing the same for the women.

Feel like Mia yim, Athena, canidian ninjas,Evie, leva should be getting looked at. Send regal to a shimmer taping

they they should also give some international people a look as will

The ever growing focus on the women is probably going to push it in that direction. They went through a period of only hiring non-wrestling women, but they take years to get anyway decent, so they've started hiring indie women again. since you can actually put them on TV right away, but generally younger rookies still.

It's strange how they've never really gone after the big names for the women. Sasha, Emma, Paige were all nobodies really. Becky was a pretty big name as Rebecca Knox, but she was on a hiatus from 2006-whenever she was signed.
But they didn't go back after Awesome Kong, or go after Cheerleader Melissa or anyone. I know the women are "supposed" to have a shorter shelf life, but you can't say someone like Melissa doesn't look good.

It is insane that Sasha is as good as she is and only 23. She has so much time in front of her.

Sasha was signed because she was related to Snoop. Let's not forget that just because she's improved. Emma and Paige are much more 'traditionally' pretty than Melissa and are much younger. It's why they signed Jessie McKay.

AFAIK, Jessie McKay wasn't signed. She was brought in as a one-shot like Leva and Mia Yim were. It's why they didn't give her a name.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sasha was signed because she was related to Snoop. Let's not forget that just because she's improved. Emma and Paige are much more 'traditionally' pretty than Melissa and are much younger. It's why they signed Jessie McKay.

Ithil

It is insane that Sasha is as good as she is and only 23. She has so much time in front of her.

AFAIK, Jessie McKay wasn't signed. She was brought in as a one-shot like Leva and Mia Yim were. It's why they didn't give her a name.

Jessie McKay is signed. She was even on the show tonight in the "class of new recruits" bit that included A-ha National.

The ever growing focus on the women is probably going to push it in that direction. They went through a period of only hiring non-wrestling women, but they take years to get anyway decent, so they've started hiring indie women again. since you can actually put them on TV right away, but generally younger rookies still.

It's strange how they've never really gone after the big names for the women. Sasha, Emma, Paige were all nobodies really. Becky was a pretty big name as Rebecca Knox, but she was on a hiatus from 2006-whenever she was signed.
But they didn't go back after Awesome Kong, or go after Cheerleader Melissa or anyone. I know the women are "supposed" to have a shorter shelf life, but you can't say someone like Melissa doesn't look good.

I can see that hem expanding. It asay to forget but sasha, Charlotte, etc took aboutn2 years to get to this level, it would be nice to get some"veterans " in as well. Seems triple h and steph are going to try and push it more, meltzer had a little nite about how Vince is still set in his ways .

On a decile at al note big names for the next tryout. Chuckie T!!!!

Besides the already mentioned Biff Busick and Matt Riddle, two other names scheduled for the next WWE camp are Drew Gulak and Chuck Taylor

Sephzilla

Honestly shocked WWE is letting him keep his name though.

There's gotta be some kind of catch to it

I'm actually surprised Awesome Kong / Kharma didn't come back to WWE. She'd be fucking great in NXT.

Ithil

I'd consider Melissa prettier than Emma but then Emma came through Lance Storm's school like a bunch of others. For indie women they seem to go for young, pretty types that have enough experience to do matches right away but aren't veterans.
I have no idea how Bayley was signed. She's a great signing in the end but she's so far away from WWE's preferences, a total anomaly.

dream

I would say Charlotte, Sasha, and Breeze are proof they can develop talent.

I agree that Sasha Banks and Tyler Breeze are very attractive people, but I qualify "making it" with "in WWE" because that really is the end goal here, right? We can't judge how well-developed these people really are because history has shown us that what the "Full Sail University" jackasses respond to simply does not work in WWE (ie: Adam Rose, Bolieve, The Ascension).

It's funny people still believe the Diva's will ever get booked well with Vince around. If John Cena and Daniel Bryan's girlfriend and wife (no matter what you think of their talent) still get stuck involved in storylines that make no sense and in three minute pointless matches, why do you think it'll get even better with the other woman?

You know what you're going to see in 3 years on WWE TV? The same thing as now with the Diva's division, only the 3 minute matches might be slightly better, but Steph will still be the Alpha Woman. Maybe Charlotte can put over her nicely.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I never 'get it' when people talk about Mia Yim.

If WWE wanted to hire a competent asian female, there's far better choices.
ULmahOt.jpg

Sephzilla

I agree that Sasha Banks and Tyler Breeze are very attractive people, but I qualify "making it" with "in WWE" because that really is the end goal here, right? We can't judge how well-developed these people really are because history has shown us that what the "Full Sail University" jackasses respond to simply does not work in WWE (ie: Adam Rose, Bolieve, The Ascension).

Lets be honest here though, Rose and The Ascension were always shitty fucking wrestlers even in the confines of NXT. Rose's entrance was the only thing over about him. Ascension, as much as I don't like them, were unjustly buried upon arrival. Creative just gave up on Bo Dallas for no real reason. Neville, meanwhile, is going pretty strong. Also, does Seth Rollins count? The real test is when the NXT heavy hitters like Zayn, Owens, Itami, Breeze, Charlotte, Bailey, and Sasha get called up.

I'm really interested to see what happens with Breeze when/if he gets called up. His gimmick screams "midcard" but he's so fucking committed to it and still comes off as an actual threat that he might (read: might) be able to ascend higher.

Heel

I wasn't convinced it was more than a way to stifle competition, a la UFC's 600 man roster, until they actually had that bum Kevin Owens show up on RAW and stomp out a first ballot hall-of-famer.

Vince's son-in-law won't outlive the business he kills.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I wasn't convinced it was more than a way to stifle competition, a la UFC's 600 man roster, until they actually had that bum Kevin Owens show up on RAW and stomp out a first ballot hall-of-famer.

Vince's son-in-law won't outlive the business he kills.

Remember what happened when Vince thought a former UFC heavyweight champion made Cena look weak?

Can you imagine the shit he finds out when some fat frenchman got one over on his champ?

dream

At the end of WWE: NXT: Takeover - Unstoppable, when Kevin Steen backs off for the second time, what is it that the fans chant? Because I'm hearing, "what a bummer." Which, if I am hearing it correctly, would be the first legitimately fantastic chant from this terrible crowd.

At the end of WWE: NXT: Takeover - Unstoppable, when Kevin Steen backs off for the second time, what is it that the fans chant? Because I'm hearing, "what a bummer." Which, if I am hearing it correctly, would be the first legitimately fantastic chant from this terrible crowd.
It was "what a father" because he wasn't going to unnecessarily fight Joe and go home to his family. It's why he he does it.

Cagey

Banned
As I just concluded watching the show right now, yes, it's Sounds like what a bummer.

I'm bored of Finn Balor's entrance. In a land of fake caricatures and over the top silliness, it screams guy cosplaying as some anime demon performing an interpretive dance for his high school talent show. The painting is top notch though and so is Balor otherwise.

Owens is a big fish in a small pond. Samoa Joe showing up was fun.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I still don't get why Finn/Devitt wears body paint. Purely because he thinks it's cool? And why does he act and move like that? It just makes him look like the kind of person you avoid eye contact with and whisper 'what a fucking freak' to your friend.

Like Undertaker does that because kayfabe dictates he's a zombie man, Muta does that because kayfabe dictates he's a demon man, Jeff Hardy does that because real life dictates he's on drugs, Bray does that because he's a crazy swamp druid. Finn doesn't spit mist he doesn't summon ghouls he doesn't light people on fire like Papa Shango.

He's just a poser.

Top Bottom