• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanical Pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 years old, got it when started uni, made in Japan, still working perfect. I don't like ones with retractable ends, they always feel wobbly when you write.

a0UAQV1.jpg

0.7 master race

I can't write with anything else.

img-thing

They're pretty basic but these ones have been good to me over the years. Main downside is that the clip breaks easily and the erasers aren't that good for drawing. Only better one I've used was an old Paper Mate that also had a ballpoint tip inside if you twisted it. Haven't been able to find those anymore :(

deim0s

was waiting for this thread.

great work bagels.

why no inclusion of:

MechanischeStifte_582.jpg

They're the ones i have for my doodling:

Staedtler .5, .7, .9 (which i don't use really and it's really old). The Zebra is too light to handle and the last one is a lead holder.

For erasers, am using Faber-Castells - I've heard that the Tombow brand is better of the lot... but what do i know.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have a passion for mechanical pencils myself. the first thing i do with any mechanical pencil is take it apart and see how it works, in case i need to do any "surgery" on it when something in the mechanics fucks up.

i'm inclined to say that i prefer 0.7 lead because i tend to write with a heavy hand. when i use 0.5 the lead breaks all of the time unless i am only using a specific type of pencil with a short sleeve.

0.9 lead smudges too much for my liking, but i enjoy the way it flows on paper. i think 0.7 is the best of the .5 and .9 lead worlds.

i never use the eraser on the end unless its easy to remove it no matter where it is. i usually have a separate eraser with my mechanical pencils. i probably prefer the bic pencil eraser style the most, out of anything, instead of a cap.

toshi

Neo Member
Nice work OP. I am always buying mechanical pencils and I have to agree that pilot just meet is one of the best. I bought 3-4 at that time but I should have bought a carton. I love it that each piece is different due to the pattern of the wood

Most of the high quality pencils seem to be too skinny :( I need something that's at least 3/4 - 1 centimeter in diameter.

i have a passion for mechanical pencils myself. the first thing i do with any mechanical pencil is take it apart and see how it works, in case i need to do any "surgery" on it when something in the mechanics fucks up.

i'm inclined to say that i prefer 0.7 lead because i tend to write with a heavy hand. when i use 0.5 the lead breaks all of the time unless i am only using a specific type of pencil with a short sleeve.

0.9 lead smudges too much for my liking, but i enjoy the way it flows on paper. i think 0.7 is the best of the .5 and .9 lead worlds.

Exactly these.

Acrylic7

Lol, isn't it the most common and popular eraser on the market?

I use the Faber Castell Vinyl Erasers. I highly recommend them to anyone trying to actually erase something, instead of half assing it.
That this is magic. Its like I have a real life undo button.

800071.jpg

I usually draw with Zebra F.301 because they come in a large pack for $10 (Sams Club), and they are pretty great. I just exchange the lead with a better quality, just for different shades though. And I love the Steadtler 925 03. for fine detail. I want to pick up some Faber Castell mechanical Pencils and lead holders but they do get expensive.

Cerity

0.7 is too broad for me.
0.5 snaps a fair bit in extended note taking sessions because I gradually write harder the longer I write.

Life's biggest conundrum.

meow

I use the Kuru Toga too! It really only works well if you lift your pencil a lot though, which I guess is more common for writing Asian characters. But I tend to connect a lot of my letters or write in cursive, so I still have to end up manually rotating to get the fine tip. :/

DJ_Lae

My go-to writing instrument through all of university was a pair of Zebra M-301s, one of which I lost at some point. The second...I have no idea where it is, actually, though I saw it a few weeks ago. They're sturdy as hell, and cheap.

I also have an M-402 that I think feels a bit better...I just wish it didn't have the rubber grip.

And I have a handful of Staedtler Marsmicros, in 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, and 0.9mm sizes.

I remember having a really fat purple one when I was younger, and it had a retractable tip. I lost it and have never found a replacement - it was a Berol Scribby. No idea if it was actually any good, but I used it a ton when my cousin and I drafted maps for a video game we never finished.

Fugu

I write a lot of music scores and about a billion kanji every day. This thread is much appreciated.

sirap

What's the mechanical pencil equivalent to a Lamy 2000?

Not cheap, but not too expensive either. Dependable and well constructed.

Deadly

Might buy something from the OP soon thanks. I use this and I have no idea if it's shit but I love it because it provides a perfect balance for spinning and I haven't had any problems writing with it. It's ridiculous how many I've bought though. I usually leave it in my pockets and it always breaks above the grip. While it's still useable after, I can't store lead inside anymore.
53011_fl.png

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
What's the mechanical pencil equivalent to a Lamy 2000?

Not cheap, but not too expensive either. Dependable and well constructed.

I know the Sharp Kerry gets a lot of love, for $19.50.

I love both the Technica-X and the Vicuña because they both feel really solid and well made. Those are go-to pencils for me. I've used the same Technica-X every day for over a decade and it has always behaved flawlessly. I've taken so many notes, written so many essays with that pencil...

Zebra is a fairly cheap brand, yet plenty of people in here have gotten a lot of use out of Zebras. If you spend more than about $10, you'll get something of ridiculously good quality. Even something that costs $5 can last you your entire life. The disparity with price isn't the same here as it is between, say, fountain pens.

MisterNoisy

Ha! Awesome thread. I'm a huge fan of mechanical pencils for both writing and sketching, with my daily driver being a 15-year old .7mm Quicker Clicker. There nicer stuff out there, but I can't come up with a reason to replace it.

When I was in college, you best believe whenever I found a left-behind mechanical pencil it was finder's keepers.

Mechanical pencils are the truth.

Lijik

if im not doing anything super large, i love to use them for drawing! much easier to decipher my sketch lines. really hard to procure red 0.5 lead at art stores though since they typically seem to be out (at least around here!) so i ordered a few 12 packs of refills online. It was like fucking heaven when the package came

mechanical pencils are so rad

Rafy

I am using this one:
47767.jpg

Ever since I used I have been unable to go back to wooden pencils.
I also have a green Pilot 0.5, but it's meh

MogCakes

These babies make for great field sketching tools. Lead holders are the better drawing tool technically, but practically mechs have them beat. I hate carrying around the huge cylindrical sharpener that comes with lead holders.

Thank ye lord for mechanical pencils, I am a believer.

Pentel Technica-X user here. Found it one day while searching for double mechanism (tip retractable by also clicking, not just pushing) pencils, and it really doesn't disappoint. Glad to know it has lasted you ten years, I've been looking for another one in brick and mortar stores ever since without any luck.

neemmss

31ohFVqCc5L._SY300_.jpg

The apex is my favorite lead pencil ever. I got it in HS from a 99 cents only store and it has beat every pencil I have gotten since. It's too bad it broke on me and they never brought it back. :( I still have it.

KissVibes

Banned
This is a really interesting thread. I have never given any thought to mechanical pencils in the slightest before.

Your handwriting is hella rad, Bagels. Really like looking at it.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
31ohFVqCc5L._SY300_.jpg

The apex is my favorite lead pencil ever. I got it in HS from a 99 cents only store and it has beat every pencil I have gotten since. It's too bad it broke on me and they never brought it back. :( I still have it.

You can click the picture in post #2 and buy them from Amazon! Paper Mate Apex is one of my favorite 0.7 mm pencils.

Jaffaboy

As a graphic designer and illustrator, I love these things. As a teacher, fuck these things. It's the most infuriating thing to see students fucking about putting in the lead for 5 minutes when they should be writing something that would take them 30 goddamn seconds! Then there's the kids breaking it up into bits and throwing it at each other which means it goes all over the floor and trodden on, leaving huge streaks of pencil across the floor. It makes my classroom look like shit, and guess who has to clean it up? Yeah. Me.

These should be banned from use of anyone under the age of 16 or something, until their motor skills and maturity has developed enough.

Amikami

Banned
I'm not going back.

tTaAhV2.jpg

Oh Yes! Yes these. I love these. All the fucking time in every fucking color. They haven't completely replaced pencils but they do a good percent of the time I would have never dared to use a pen.

On another note, I just discovered this thread and I can't believe we have a thread about this...Somehow, its completely cool. Great job OP!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
0.7 is too broad for me.
0.5 snaps a fair bit in extended note taking sessions because I gradually write harder the longer I write.

Life's biggest conundrum.

May I suggest...the 0.6mm pencil?

what do you guys even write

like tone poems

Yes. Exactly that.

What's a tone poem?

This is a really interesting thread. I have never given any thought to mechanical pencils in the slightest before.

Your handwriting is hella rad, Bagels. Really like looking at it.

Your transparent attempts to get on my good side will get you nowhere.

I'm totally lying. Please keep it up!

On another note, I just discovered this thread and I can't believe we have a thread about this...Somehow, its completely cool. Great job OP!

I try, you know? I hope that, if the topic is only of the most remote interest (or of none at all), the OPs are at least entertaining.

Cronox

Banned
Zebra M-402 is easily my favorite mechanical pencil. Less than $10 for a perfect writing instrument.

zebra-m-402-59210-mechanical-pencil.jpg

I literally went to Zebra's website to find the model number, then google image searched and found this exact picture, from the same URL, and then scrolled down from the OP to see this post. Well... it's a good pencil, though I've lost 3 or 4 of them and actually have none right now. Weighted very nicely.

Damn fine thread here. Love me a mechanical pencil.
And this is a reminder that I gotta get me a fountain pen. :D

kneaded-eraser.jpg

When I use mechanical pencils, I still usually stick to kneaded erasers. Are they not boss enough, Bagels? :p

Acrylic7

kneaded-eraser.jpg

When I use mechanical pencils, I still usually stick to kneaded erasers. Are they not boss enough, Bagels? :p

Vinyl erasers my friend. You wont go back.

800071.jpg

I've grown really attached to pencils this year when starting university. I just enjoy using them so much more than the bog-standard pens I'd used for years prior.

Nothing special, just some regular old supermarket 0.7mm mechanical pencils, but I still love using them.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!

kneaded-eraser.jpg

I try not to judge. I fail miserably, but I try. :p

I've grown really attached to pencils this year when starting university. I just enjoy using them so much more than the bog-standard pens I'd used for years prior.

Nothing special, just some regular old supermarket 0.7mm mechanical pencils, but I still love using them.

There are a ton of great 0.7mm pencils out there! I've been using Paper Mate Apexs forever and they're really hard to beat. I'm not sure if they're out of production, but they're getting harder to find. I'd snap a few up in you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom