• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanical Pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

EJ11966923.JPG

I can't find mine :sad:

-KRS-

I'm strongly tempted to buy this because of this crazy
entertaining and informative
thread: http://www.jetpens.com/Rotring-600-Drafting-Pencil-0.5-mm-Black-Body/pd/6435. Somebody talk me out of it!

Well it's not going to be me because I'm also looking to get one of those, haha. AND the Pentel GraphGear 1000! Both of them look really nice. Damn this thread! :D

My goto mechanical pencil is the Ballograf Rondo. It's simple, looks nice and is a solid performer. I also like the rubber covered body which really helps with the grip. A nice pen in a 6€ price range.

Ballograf also manufactures these pencils for BIC, they are sold under the 'BIC Rondo' name.

Oh hey, that's what I'm using right now. But mine is an older model I think because the clip looks different. The clip on mine looks like the blue one here, although this one is a ballpoint pen I think.
They're indeed really nice. Has a good weight to them as well.
Only negative I can think of is that the metal tube that holds the eraser is a liiiitle wobbly. Not noticable when you actually use it but if you sit there and wiggle it you can definitely feel it wobble. But everyone should have a proper eraser anyway. Also the click is very silent and feels very soft. That can be a good thing in a quiet classroom setting but I like pencils with a very audible click that feels nice to click in. It's a bit surprising that it's so soft/silent since Ballograf's ballpoint pens usually have a very mechanical feel and are pretty loud when you click them.

adelante

http://www.popular.com.sg/images/product/stationery/93233.jpg[//IMG]

Best eraser for mechanical pencil artists.
[URL="http://adhesives-equipment.com/partners/blutack/article-artists.php"]http://adhesives-equipment.com/partners/blutack/article-artists.php[/URL][/QUOTE]
Wow. Never thought it would make a great eraser. I already have a few putty erasers but I have some Blu-tacks at home. Gonna give them a try!

On a related note, finished this drawing a couple weeks ago. Used only mechanical pencils:

Pentel Graph PG303 0.3mm - 2B
Pentel Graphgear 500 - 2H
Tombow Mono Knock 3.8mm eraser
Uniball Kurutoga 0.5 - 4B
Uniball Kurutoga Roulette 0.5 - HB

[quote=][img]http://i.imgur.com/SAt1CxA.jpg

tr4656

Got my Rotring 600 and Pentel Sharp Kerry from Amazon today. Both feel really good to use, although the grip of the black Rotring 600 feels different from the silver one. Its kind of odd.

IMG_20140113_161502.jpg

Thinking about buying an Tombow Oceanic from eBay just because its so cool, not sure how practical it is.

So, I'm one of those weird people that has a this strange issue with what touches my skin. I normally use wooden pencils because they don't hurt as much when I hold them. I do like my mechanicals but I can't use them for very long.

That issue was solved last week when I picked up a super cheap Steadler 763 mechanical pencil for under 75 cents because they were on clearance.
fR85Ibw.jpg

The material is kinda soft and I can write with it all day and I don't get tired and it doesn't feel icky or painful.
It's shaped triangular instead of round or octagonal so it tends to stay where it should when I'm writing, and it has a good eraser.
The lead that came it is pretty soft, I'm assuming it's the Mars Micro Carbon but, I'm not entirely sure.

Did some research and ordered the Staedler Triplus 776, and I'm now ordering the Staedtler Triplus Micro 774 because it has a twist out eraser.

Amazing that a 75 cent mechanical pencil would end up being my favorite of all the one's I've tried.

Nikodemos

Finally broke down and got me a 0.3 mm Penac (Japanese made). The contoured rubber grip feels nice in my hand. The twist-retractable eraser is interesting, and there's quite a lot of it (though I prefer using a separate eraser). Writes pretty nice, but the leads it came with are a mite too soft (they get worn down rather quickly).

Unfortunately, there's a minor hitch: I have no idea how to refill it. Gently pulling on the cap didn't seem to do anything, and I'm afraid I'll bust it if I go brute force on it.

rookiejet

Amazing read! I won't look at mechanical pencils the same way again.

I have been using cheapos the names of I can't recall since forever, but I switched exclusively to a Muji Ballpoint & Mechanical thanks to this recommendation on design-milk.

F5-Josh-Owen-03_HAND.jpg

Josh Owen said:
I have been using this item for many years as a staple and I am rarely found without one on hand. With a simple twisting action, this modest-looking, milky-white polypropylene instrument deploys a black-ink ballpoint pen or a push-pencil with HB 0.3mm graphite. The ability to switch rapidly between the two mark-making types is important for me, as I prefer to sketch in pencil, but find I also need a pen on a regular basis for making more permanent marks. The ink cartridge is replaceable as is the graphite and the eraser, making this a sustainably oriented object. The translucent nature of the plastic allows one to see the level of ink and graphite sticks left. The combination of intelligent and sympathetic features is what I look for in a well considered utensil.

Anon67

:D Bagel, thank you for the thread!!! I've been waiting for it for quite some time! I'm definitely saving this for my future mechanical pencil purchases.

TheExodu5,

That's a nice purchase! I'm a little jealous.

Those are nice indeed, I have one at the house. Mine is a different color though, blue I think.
EJ11966923.JPG

I have this in .3 because I need to take very small notes in my classes. I like it except I wish it had grip all the way because of my fairly odd grip. I also have that Zebra that people have posted and I ripped off the pocket clip and wrapped it in electrical tape to improve the grip up top.

madmook

Goddamn, so much passion for a writing utensil.

Anyways, 0.5mm for life. Pentel's generally been my jam. Love the old sleek "Quicker Clicker", not the newfangled wussy ones with the soft head grip:

XMyJkwK.jpg

Fuck 0.7mm

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Japanese manufacturers have taken this to the next level with the shaker mechanism - a weight and clutch inside the pencil advances the lead when you shake it up and down. Why on Earth anyone would seek this out is beyond me, but there you go.
It's so that you can easily advance lead without adjusting your grip on the pencil or even lifting it far from the page. Just write, shake just above the page, and continue writing. No thumb required!

The original Pilot Dr. Grip is the best mechanical pencil I've ever used, and I still use it today. It's nice and large for my hand, made primarily of metal, has a nice shape, and has the shaker mechanism. What's pictured here is actually the immediate followup model which only really differs in color, but I own one too.

Since the blue paint on my original Dr. Grip has started to wear in places, I went looking for spares and found that they've redesigned the Dr. Grip to have a different shape and be of plastic construction. They also removed the shaker mechanism. It's a much inferior product, so be warned!

cdkee

Banned
I've been using the same Papermate PhD pencil (pic below), for the past 12 years. Bought it in 6th grade, used it through middle school, high school, and university. Still in perfect working order. I still have it, but this thread has now got me wanting to order a new one, but that would be traitorous to the one that's been with me for so long.

41861397.jpg

DJ_Lae

Just realized my three workhorse mechanical pencils I've had for almost 15 years now.

i8gqQwGEbLKuo.jpg

I also have a regular 301 somewhere that got me through most of university...though I did lose it at some point. At least they're cheap to replace.

My only complaint with the 402 is that it's a bit on the heavy side.

I also have the Marsmicro in 0.3, 0.5, and 0.7. That one there is 0.9, for when I need it nice and chunky.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I actually discovered that I have a dedicated pen store in my street. Bagels' threads have caused me to spend more money there than I really should. God I love writing utensils.

Got myself a new (cheap) Pentel mechanical last week and got my fountain pen fitted with an extra fine nib.

t11rokxffuxxcspoo__110wx75.jpg

I await your thread on ballpoint pens.

Timeless

Regular pencils should be taxed to make mechanical pencils a more competetive and in-your-face option.

While I'm not really worried about the wood use to make regular pencils, the metals to hold the eraser, the rubber or whatever for the eraser, and the extra(?) graphite compared to a mechanical pencil seems like they're worse for the environment, especially if you buy a >=$5 mechanical pencil that lasts you a while.

WX3

I've been using the UNI KURU TOGA .7 for about 5 months now. In that time I have handwritten with it approx. 800 pages of whatever it is I write about. Great pencil, but the auto rotation sometimes causes clicking for those that press hard. I have also been finding them in Wal-Mart for less than $7!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Regular pencils should be taxed to make mechanical pencils a more competetive and in-your-face option.

While I'm not really worried about the wood use to make regular pencils, the metals to hold the eraser, the rubber or whatever for the eraser, and the extra(?) graphite compared to a mechanical pencil seems like they're worse for the environment, especially if you buy a >=$5 mechanical pencil that lasts you a while.

Quality pencils, as described in the wooden pencil thread, are made from incense cedar, which is sustainably managed. Cheaper pencils may be made from other woods that aren't being managed. I can't really speak to that, but incense cedar seems like a really nice choice for a sustainable natural material.

A mechanical pencil may last longer, but I really wonder if this is the case for most users. Bic disposables aren't doing the environment any favors. The plastic and metal content of a mechanical pencil also has an environmental cost, both in terms of mining/drilling and in not being biodegradable. A wooden pencil is largely biodegradable (especially if you buy ones without erasers).

I have no idea how any kind of hard numbers would shake out for a Palomino wooden pencil vs. my long-serving Technica-X. I use both, as they're such fundamentally different experiences for me. The real environmental question is probably about disposable mechanical pencils vs. the cheapest wooden pencils.

It's all moot anyway as, in the rare case that something must be written by hand, everyone just uses one these:

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I await your thread on ballpoint pens.

Just to show how far I'll run this idea into the ground, fuck it, I'm doing it.

PM your thoughts on ballpoint pens! If you include links to Amazon or similar for other savages to buy these stupid things, I'll be super happy.

Water

Looks like the image link in my post stopped working, so now I have an excuse to repost the Lamy 2000. Mine is in 0.5.

lJhps3T.png

0p4EXX9.jpg

I bought this a while ago and didn't like it because the cap covering the eraser was very loose and fell off really easily. But recently I read a tip: press the cap down to make it a little oblong instead of a perfect circle. Now I'm back to using it again and its amazing. Solid, weighty, and absolutely stellar in the hand.

Looks like the image link in my post stopped working, so now I have an excuse to repost the Lamy 2000. Mine is in 0.5.
That looks classy as hell.

Water

That looks classy as hell.

I wanted to jump straight from cheap pencils to something that I don't mind using for the next decade. In the end the only one I was considering in addition to the Lamy was the Rotring, actually. I keep my pencil on an elastic loop on my notebook, and the smoothness of the Lamy was better for that - I think that's what served as the decider.

I've had the pencil for maybe 2 years now, works great, looks great. Apparently the fountain pen where the design started from was the first pen to use a solid stainless steel clip, and the body is a special fiberglass resin. It has this "space age" feel to it - it still seems a bit futuristic today, can't imagine how it has looked back in 1966 when it was designed. The steel-Makrolon transition at the front is seamless, and the lengthwise brushed finish continues uninterrupted across both materials. They kept the thing clean; it took me months to notice there's "LAMY" spelled in faint 1mm size lettering on the left side of the root of the clip. They also embossed "Germany" on the underside of the clip as a bit of an easter egg. Most owners probably don't know about that, you have to pry the clip open a bit to see.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamy#2000

Acrylic7

I use the Faber Castell Vinyl Erasers. I highly recommend them to anyone trying to actually erase something, instead of half assing it.
That this is magic. Its like I have a real life undo button.

800071.jpg

I usually draw with Zebra F.301 because they come in a large pack for $10 (Sams Club), and they are pretty great. I just exchange the lead with a better quality, just for different shades though. And I love the Steadtler 925 03. for fine detail. I want to pick up some Faber Castell mechanical Pencils and lead holders but they do get expensive.

Sorry for the bump but after reading through the paper journals thread I thought I should share with you all that I have been living a lie.
This is now my go to eraser. Tombo Mono erasers. these things are the best things to happen to my artwork.

530.jpg

And this thing is absolutely the best fine line eraser I have ever used.
3874.jpg

The bad thing about these erasers though are the price due to shipping. Iv never seen these in stores.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Sorry for the bump but after reading through the paper journals thread I thought I should share with you all that I have been living a lie.
This is now my go to eraser. Tombo Mono erasers. these things are the best things to happen to my artwork.

530.jpg

And this thing is absolutely the best fine line eraser I have ever used.
3874.jpg

The bad thing about these erasers though are the price due to shipping. Iv never seen these in stores.

Those look great! I love Tombow pencils!

Jetpens has you covered.

Block erasers. These appear to be different, but may offer the same quality experience you crave?

I'm looking to buy a pencil case. I would probably be carrying 5 or so pencils tops, but would like room for leads and erasers as well. Any recommendations?

Acrylic7

I'm looking to buy a pencil case. I would probably be carrying 5 or so pencils tops, but would like room for leads and erasers as well. Any recommendations?

I use this as my main travel and at home case. Iv been using thing thing since 2009. It holds all my go-to pencils, pens, erasers, leads, markers and other random things.
Its fits anywhere and I find it essential to my workflow.

442384_1[5].jpg

blog20150327-IMG_2671b.jpg

hiro4

I would recommend any of these depending on your needs. http://www.jetpens.com/Kokuyo-Pencil-Cases/ct/2929

We have one of most of these and I use the Will one myself everyday. It is a bit small but it holds three pens an eraser and some refills and fits in to everything.

The C2 and Neo krutz are bigger but and the Neo can also be used as a stand too by folding the top.

But these are only if you don't like hard cases like me.

gaugebozo

Thanks for a wonderful thread! I always use the Bicmatics with the rubberized grip.

shopping

Keeps my hand from slipping and is thick enough to grab comfortably, but not so thick that it tires my hand out when I have to write fast.

They're super cheap, which is nice for a student. I might trade up once I get a full-time job.

When I was a kid, we had those mechanical pencils that held a stack of plastic cylinders with half an inch of lead sticking out of each. When the lead was used you'd cycle the current lead to the back of the pen until you'd exhausted all the lead in the pencil. Did BIC made those?

I'm surprised at the lack of 0.7 pencil coverage. I mostly use 0.5 myself.

I like to jot thoughts on paper with a pencil. When I'm done there's no white left on the page at all.

I have an aversion for fat pens and pencils. Pilot used to be the go to mechanical pen source for me. I've bought several packs of inexpensive Monami Clique pencils a decade ago. I'm still using them. They were like pennies on the pen. I believe they're made in Vietnam. Quite colorful.

digitalclique_01.jpg

Cyanity

Banned
This is the pencil getting me through Engineering school, currently. The Pentel Sharp Kerry. She is my beautiful blue hand child. (0.5, of course)

edit - the best feature of this pencil is its ability to click out lead when the cap is attached to the back, which also perfectly balances the pencil at the same time. It feels classy af.
315kymwvnAL._SY400_.jpg

Timeless

Help me Pencil Age, you're my only hope.

I put the wrong lead into my Pilot Just Meet Slim and it's stuck. I don't think I'm getting that out anytime soon. But if you have a tip for getting out .7mm lead from the .5mm slot, let me know.

Now I find out that Just Meet Slims are apparently impossible to find? Dammit. I loved that pencil. It wasn't perfect (was going to post about this anyway) but it was very good. They looked plentiful when I bought mine in 2014. Zero indication Pilot was going to stop making them, if that's what they did. Does anyone else want to write a postcard to Pilot and ask what happened to the Just Meet Slim?

Here's the big downside to mechanical pencils - in a tense, test-taking environment, the sounds of *click click click* *snap* *click click click* *snap* as you advance and bust your leads, can earn you a swift beating.

I didn't find this to be true for the Just Meet. It always seemed quiet.

I'm looking for a good mechanical pencil for school, especially math-type things. My main complaint with the Just Meet Slim was its thickness. Weight didn't bother me too much, but the way I write has me pressing the body of the pencil into my middle finger, which always leaves a mark. The Just Meet mark was always bigger and deeper than with a cheapo mechanical pencil or regular pencil.

I found this Mitsubishi Mechanical Pencil randomly and it looks okay. Where should I do pencil research? Where should I shop? My pencil used to get compliments, now I'm getting nothing. Help!

Forsete

I like Rotrings pens.

A few years ago I dropped mine on the floor and the little pipe that holds the lead at the end was bent.

I contacted Rotring to ask if they had any spare parts, they didn't but they sent me a new pencil instead. Very nice of them.

Well today I found my old damaged Rotring again and decided to try and fix it.

The "pipe" is 1.07 mm and the hole for the lead is 0.7 mm. Luckily I had a 0.7 mm drill on hand.

I decided to make it out of brass. It should hold up well I think, and brass is easier to machine than steel, and I am not sure how the 0.7 mm drill bit would fare in the steel stock I have (might give it a try later though).

29583360745_14c36eae1e_h.jpg

29473399892_3407f97059_h.jpg

28959741063_fa8ff0dc2f_h.jpg

29583361105_93f022d64c_h.jpg

1.07 mm is press fit, but I secured it with some Loctite as well.

Now I have two Rotrings. :p

Cyanity

Banned
I like Rotrings pens.

A few years ago I dropped mine on the floor and the little pipe that holds the lead at the end was bent.

I contacted Rotring to ask if they had any spare parts, they didn't but they sent me a new pencil instead. Very nice of them.

The "pipe" is 1.07 mm and the hole for the lead is 0.7 mm. Luckily I had a 0.7 mm drill on hand.

I decided to make it out of brass. It should hold up well I think, and brass is easier to machine than steel, and I am not sure how the 0.7 mm drill bit would fare in the steel stock I have (might give it a try later though).

Jeeze, those Rotrings are sexy. And now I kind of want a metalworking lathe.

I like Rotrings pens.

Thats some high level pencil repair.

This is the pencil getting me through Engineering school, currently. The Pentel Sharp Kerry. She is my beautiful blue hand child. (0.5, of course)

edit - the best feature of this pencil is its ability to click out lead when the cap is attached to the back, which also perfectly balances the pencil at the same time. It feels classy af.
315kymwvnAL._SY400_.jpg

I recently bought one of these in green. I quite like it, but it wont replace my pentel p205 as my main pencil.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Help me Pencil Age, you're my only hope.

I put the wrong lead into my Pilot Just Meet Slim and it's stuck. I don't think I'm getting that out anytime soon. But if you have a tip for getting out .7mm lead from the .5mm slot, let me know.

Now I find out that Just Meet Slims are apparently impossible to find? Dammit. I loved that pencil. It wasn't perfect (was going to post about this anyway) but it was very good. They looked plentiful when I bought mine in 2014. Zero indication Pilot was going to stop making them, if that's what they did. Does anyone else want to write a postcard to Pilot and ask what happened to the Just Meet Slim?

I didn't find this to be true for the Just Meet. It always seemed quiet.

I'm looking for a good mechanical pencil for school, especially math-type things. My main complaint with the Just Meet Slim was its thickness. Weight didn't bother me too much, but the way I write has me pressing the body of the pencil into my middle finger, which always leaves a mark. The Just Meet mark was always bigger and deeper than with a cheapo mechanical pencil or regular pencil.

I found this Mitsubishi Mechanical Pencil randomly and it looks okay. Where should I do pencil research? Where should I shop? My pencil used to get compliments, now I'm getting nothing. Help!

You are in luck! The best mechanical pencil in the world is still readily available! My tip, if you are looking for other places to buy them, is to search for justmeet and just meet, and then add the words Pilot, slim, and/or smart. You'll often find different listings this way.

I get so many compliments on the JustMeet, and this is my favorite writing utensil to give away to people. I know many, many happy JustMeeters now! I got the ballpoint version for work and it has been a huge hit. I ordered 5 more to give to friends. These took an unusually long time to make it here from Japan, but the wait was worth it. Seeing them together, they all have slight variation in color and wood grain. They are really beautiful to look at!

If the JustMeet is a bit thick, may I suggest the Pilot S20?

(Click for an Amazon reseller I have used. It takes time for stuff to ship from Japan, so beware. Jetpens has the S20, too, but it costs twice as much.)

I hate describing inanimate objects as "sexy," but the subtle curve of the S20 does, indeed, make it a sexy pencil. It's slimmer than the JustMeet and I find it really comfy to use. I get a ton of compliments on this pencil/pen (because of course I have both).

I like Rotrings pens.

Forsete, this is incredible.

cs060mk2

Nice repair!. The tip on my vintage Rotring 600 0.5 mm from 1991 got bent and broke off when I borrowed it to a friend back in 1995. Too bad the new tip for the Rotring 600 does not fit the older Rotring 600, the internal is slightly different, however I plan to fix it some day. Or I could just use my four other Rotring 600 :)

Koren

I still have a set of Rotrings (2x0.3, 2x0.5, 2x0.7) from the time I was doing industrial drawings, those things last... I'm using pencils less and less, though.

Interesting to see alpha gel ones, though... The limited use I've had with a alpha gel pen convinced me it could be interesting (my fingers sometimes ache after a lot of use of roller pens), even if I've mostly found alpha gel grips on average pens :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom