• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mechanical Pencils

Status
Not open for further replies.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I've actually gone back to good old wooden pencils and a sharpener, after years of being a loyal mechanical pencil user.

I just find the pros of wooden pencils - cheap, reliable, never run out - outway the cons - bluntness and dealing with sharpenings.

edit: for example, when I know I'm going to be sitting down for a prolonged writing session, I have ten sharpened pencils ready, and they last me ten pages before I need to resharpen them. I even used to have an electric sharpener at my desk, and pencils would come out lethal-sharp in a matter of seconds!

KissVibes

Banned
Your transparent attempts to get on my good side will get you nowhere.

I'm totally lying. Please keep it up!

My enjoyment of your handwriting is known but I figured I'd take the opportunity to say it directly.

Aaaand maybe try to get on your good side :p I do seriously think your handwriting is very, very nice though.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
you can check out my tumblr for all of your Bagels' handwriting needs! It's composed entirely of stuff I wrote down (plus one picture) using the various pens and pencils on my desk. Pencil can be hard to get decent photos of (and most of my photos are less than perfect), but I refuse to give up! Some samples of pencil writings:
tumblr_mvesvzvrtj1sm9gh7o1_500h.jpg

Our very own Fiction actually said that. :p

tumblr_mv98i71NVW1sm9gh7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mv72vgBtgT1sm9gh7o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mv72idQHd21sm9gh7o1_500h.jpg

tumblr_mv72jnewNR1sm9gh7o1_500h.jpg

tumblr_mv70maymrK1sm9gh7o1_1280.jpg
They're almost all Pilot Just Meet 0.5mm w/ HB soft leads. I find it really easy to get dark marks out of that lead without pressing too hard.

There are a few wooden Palomino 2B on there as well.

It's fun to copy down random stuff, and short snippets of text will be nice practice as I try to change up my writing a bit.

My tumblr.
(I'm more than happy to write stuff for other people if they'd like it Bagelified.)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
are you using some kind of support for the camera when taking those pictures?

also, better lighting and macro mode could help

Nope. They're taken in a poorly lit room and I used my iphone camera for a while. Now I use a DSLR with absolutely the wrong lens. :p It gives it all a wonderfully inept feel.

I'll be improving the image quality, seeing as how people are actually reblogging this stuff. It was kinda just for me, but then I realized that I could feed my ego by making stuff that people would want to reblog.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nope. They're taken in a poorly lit room and I used my iphone camera for a while. Now I use a DSLR with absolutely the wrong lens. :p It gives it all a wonderfully inept feel.

I'll be improving the image quality, seeing as how people are actually reblogging this stuff. It was kinda just for me, but then I realized that I could feed my ego by making stuff that people would want to reblog.

it's actually quite surprising, but the internet is lacking in good macro photos of writing utensils.

MrChom

Oooh, this thread has reminded me what the name of my old mechanical pencil is. I shall order a new one to replace it! Sadly I lost my papermate PHd years ago and have a cheaper Faber-Castell knock off.

It was an exceptionally comfortable pencil to use.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Most of the high quality pencils seem to be too skinny :( I need something that's at least 3/4 - 1 centimeter in diameter.

I have a Pilot Just Meet multipen that I ordered off ebay from Hong Kong in a fit of desperation. Like most multipens, the diameter is quite large. I'm happy trading it to you if you want it. The pencil part is 0.5 mm, though. You can solve a lot of issues with lead breaking by ordering some new premium leads.

I just spent $25 dollars, help!

That free shipping at Jetpens gets me every time.

How is this not in the OP? Zebras are awesome!

I've honestly never been a Zebra fan, but I think I'll give them another go.

Not sure if it counts as a mechanical pencil, but I use one that houses 2.0 mm leads.

Someone should do a post/topic devoted to lead holders. I have a staedler model, but it never gets used. It has a really hard lead in it, though. If I replace that...

Oooh, this thread has reminded me what the name of my old mechanical pencil is. I shall order a new one to replace it! Sadly I lost my papermate PHd years ago and have a cheaper Faber-Castell knock off.

It was an exceptionally comfortable pencil to use.

The PhD line is alive and well!

UrbanRats

This is what i use to draw:

Big tip that you can model (with some sandpaper) but none of the wooden pencils bullshit, the grip is better and doesn't change weight/length as it consumes.

Too bad it's fucking impossible to find a (local) retailer that has colored tips (or whatever they're called in English).

wsippel

Banned
I might have missed it, but in case it wasn't mentioned: if you have a nice ballpoint pen and would prefer a mechanical pencil, there are converter systems. I have Faber-Castell pen with a Schmidt DSM 2006 converter. Though I personally prefer slim pens, so I mostly use a Cross Classic Century I got as a freebie a few years ago:

Ekdrm2d1

I use the Staedtler Mars Plastic erasers

along with the Prismacolor Magic Rub erasers
31bubJT0%2BsL._SY300_.jpg

The Faber-Castell Dust Free eraser looks great. Has the same layout at the above Mars Plastic it looks like.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Also. Bagels. Awesome thread.

But stop dawdling about and give us the ballpoint pen thread already. I'm excited for that one most of all. ^_^

Iph

Banned
One of these days I will invest in a good mechanical pencil. Right now I just use a cheap one with .7 mm lead (superior size!). Thanks for this thread bgls, now I can narrow done what one I should get. <3

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When I was a freshman in college, I went to the bookstore and bought some $7 drafting pencil - it was 0.7mm (which I needed) and had a good weight to it. I've had the pencil for going on 9 years now. It is my writing device of choice always.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
And to bring things more back on topic, I vastly prefer using a pen over mechanical pencils, but taking Japanese makes having a mechanical pencil a must.

I go back and forth between these two:

Uni Kuru Toga Auto Lead Rotation Mechanical Pencil

This is my primary pencil. The rotation is excellent for maintaing the sharp edge necessary for writing kanji on notebook paper. Imagine writing something like this &#26360; (which means, coincidentally, write. ^_^) on college ruled paper without a fine edge. The rotation makes this pencil godly. I'm also fond of the band grip and it's closeness to the tip of the pencil.

Pentel PD255A Side FX Mechanical Pencil

When I was first required to use lead to submit work, I had two criteria for a mechanical pencil: a big eraser and no lead action whenever I erase (haaaate). Since I made this criteria, I recognized the error of my ways with the addition of the eraser in my previous post, but a frustrating search finally lead me to the SideFX by Pentel. It is the best side clicking mechanical pencil on the market hands down. And adding lead is as simple as pulling the pencil apart.

In both, I prefer 0.5 Pentel Stein Enhanced Silica Pencil Lead. I've only tried HB so far, but once it's emptied, I'm going to try a bit harder lead to counterbalance my hard writing.

Again, awesome thread, Bagels. Can't wait for your next. ^_^

Sulik2

I have horrific handwriting, the only way I can write somewhat legibly is with .5mm mechanical pencils. I love them.

Philia

Awesome thread! Once I got a mechanical pencil, I couldn't ever go back to wooden. Ever. That's how deep my love is for mechanical pencils. I always write small and preferred slim and sharp leads.

However, I'm a female and my small drawing/writing hand is sensitive to the weight of a pencil, so I don't like any of the metal builds. The pressure on my ring finger callus is too great from heavy pencils. Yes, I write hard onto the paper. So I don't like any particular rough grips because those are super irritating on my decades old callus. The upshot of metal build is their cold to touch which is plus to my super hot hand lol.

So I've been using a lot of Bic Pencils. I like these because they're very slim and light. Less nonsense the better.

Meanwhile I know of their flaws already. Their interior grip on the lead can break down and won't hold vertically or horizontally. Vertically broken down is rare but because I press hard onto the paper, I get these from time to time. Impossible I know, consider leads would break before the inside grip become broken. Horizontally is just fucking annoying.

Bagels, do you have a .5mm recommendation for me? I'd definitely invest but I lose pencils all the damn time. If I know its a good pencil with a super strong and durable inside grip of the lead to last me a decade or so, I'd probably be much more careful with it to not lose it anywhere so casually.

Water

Lamy 2000 master race represent!

First and last really nice pencil I've bought. There's just nothing to improve.
101_eng.jpg

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So where do us drafting pencil/lead holder people hang out?

I'm really looking for something to replace my 780. Getting tired of its shitty sharpener.

TheExodu5

Banned
I literally went to Zebra's website to find the model number, then google image searched and found this exact picture, from the same URL, and then scrolled down from the OP to see this post. Well... it's a good pencil, though I've lost 3 or 4 of them and actually have none right now. Weighted very nicely.

It really is the perfect pencil to me. Perfect weight, and the grip is very comfortable. It also looks really damned nice, and at about $5 a pop, it's very affordable for such a quality writing instrument.

One thing I'll never understand: why do some mechanicals have retractable heads? They always lead to broken lead.

I have a Pilot Just Meet multipen that I ordered off ebay from Hong Kong in a fit of desperation. Like most multipens, the diameter is quite large. I'm happy trading it to you if you want it. The pencil part is 0.5 mm, though. You can solve a lot of issues with lead breaking by ordering some new premium leads.

Oh? I'll search for some like that and see what I find. Main things for me are wide grip, 0.7, big eraser, and side advance so it doesn't do it when I erase.

Pentel PD255A Side FX Mechanical Pencil

When I was first required to use lead to submit work, I had two criteria for a mechanical pencil: a big eraser and no lead action whenever I erase (haaaate). Since I made this criteria, I recognized the error of my ways with the addition of the eraser in my previous post, but a frustrating search finally lead me to the SideFX by Pentel. It is the best side clicking mechanical pencil on the market hands down. And adding lead is as simple as pulling the pencil apart.

This looks right up my alley. If that eraser is better than the Paper Mate's, I may have found a replacement!

When I was a kid in school we were not allowed to use pens. I found a mechanical pencil. This is back in the 80s so it was a technological break through for me. I took it to school and got in trouble for doing my work in pen. Stupid teacher.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, thanks to your threads I'm putting an order in. I've been living off office supplies for the past while...time to get some decent writing instruments again.

ME9n1d2.png

Jasup

My goto mechanical pencil is the Ballograf Rondo. It's simple, looks nice and is a solid performer. I also like the rubber covered body which really helps with the grip. A nice pen in a 6€ price range.
Ballograf also manufactures these pencils for BIC, they are sold under the 'BIC Rondo' name.

Cetra

I've been using the Pentel Quicker Clicker since about 1996. That thing is nigh indestructible, I actually used my original one until it was lost about 4 years back.

As someone who draws quite a bit, the side lead advance is amazing. And the Pentel eraser on the Quicker Clicker is really nice and usable without having to worry about advancing too much lead while you're erasing something.

Seriously love that pencil.

TheExodu5

Banned
Got my order. Loving the M402, of course. But man, this F701...I don't like the knurled steel grip as much, but the weight is so good. It's about double the weight of the M402. Makes me wish the M701 came in 0.5mm.

edit: on second thought, I'm digging the grip. I may need to pick up an M701.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I might have missed it, but in case it wasn't mentioned: if you have a nice ballpoint pen and would prefer a mechanical pencil, there are converter systems. I have Faber-Castell pen with a Schmidt DSM 2006 converter. Though I personally prefer slim pens, so I mostly use a Cross Classic Century I got as a freebie a few years ago:

That's pretty cool! I didn't know you could buy converters!

Also. Bagels. Awesome thread.

But stop dawdling about and give us the ballpoint pen thread already. I'm excited for that one most of all. ^_^

It's going to be right after my thread on my favorite hammers to hit myself in the face with, so look for those threads soon!

Bagels, do you have a .5mm recommendation for me? I'd definitely invest but I lose pencils all the damn time. If I know its a good pencil with a super strong and durable inside grip of the lead to last me a decade or so, I'd probably be much more careful with it to not lose it anywhere so casually.

You might be best just sticking with cheapo pencils. You'll be hard-pressed to find anything lighter. A pentel P205 is a good choice. The uni alphas are pretty light, actually, and they have a nice grip. That would be a step up.

Agreed.

Writing utensil threads FTW!

Sucks Bagel didn't make the General Pen thread though.

There have been a few of these in my time on GAF. I'd be happy to make one down the road, but we've kind of covered the things I use 99% of the time. I have a Paper Mate inkjoy M ballpoint for writing checks and stuff, and a few assorted rollerball pens (I mostly stick with Pilot G-2's or the rollerball pen in the Pentel Vicuna), but none o that stuff sees as much use, or is as much fun to write with.

True to my own threads, I ordered a new Lamy Safari w/ fine nib and the maple-bodied AJ Spalding pencil, along with some new leads to try out. Aaaaaand also a Staedler Mars 3 pack (.3/.5/.7). I can't resist a pencil with a built in lead indicator. :3

T-Matt

I really love the Pentel twist erase iii for an everyday pencil. It is comfortable and feels solid with a satisfying click to the lead. I'm a sucker for twist erasers. I still use a bic color codes mechanical pencil that I found on the highschool floor about 10 years ago..started my love for the twist up eraser. Wish the pentel had a retractable head like the Bic.
38154.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Just bought a Staedler Mars technico 780 with some Koh-I-Noor 5B mines:

lom2HFa.jpg

Hope it's as awesome as I imagine.

That's pretty cool! I didn't know you could buy converters!
You can! Converters look like large ballpoint mines, forgot what the standard is called. In Germany, we usually call them Parker mines. Anyway, the converters fit in many ballpoint pens designed for those mines. Just remove the spring, insert the converter and you're good to go. My Cross Classic Century also uses a converter (looks like a rebranded Schmidt DSM - it fits in the Faber-Castell as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom