• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Lime

eeeww I just noticed the small hands on the Stormcrow. I know the miniature/TRO version has them, but the video game versions have always been cooler without them, imo.

I like them, think they capture the original designs better than alot of the previous reworks which I think varied too much from the original designs.

Yeah, for all my piss and vitriol, I can't bash the aesthetics here. The Nova in particular looks wonderful.

I am finding wonder and amusement in their reaction to this. Ala cart is the right way to go, but holy fuck, the concept of similar value to their competition is so completely broken.

Erdem

Banned
Yeah I disabled the music after getting annoyed by round start-end music. I wish I could keep the menu music though, it's pretty good.

Erdem

Banned
I can't believe this thread is left unattended for such a long time. Where are you MWGAF? I'll give you a brief update.

So many good things happened meanwhile, UI 2.0 seems to be on track for releasing on Feb 4th, the Battlemaster has been released for us peasants without Phoenix packages yesterday, cockpit glass has arrived making our view smudgy, matchmaker has been loosened up to decrease waiting times and so on.

You can also get an alien head promotional head item from here: http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/mechwarrior-online-alienware-head-key-giveaway

Razer promo is still working as well: http://www.razerzone.com/mechwarrior/

Also, I started a blog about MWO! http://raksarmory.blogspot.de/

Lastly, check out this Protector I drew on my tablet!

protector_blackbg.png

Woorloog

Banned
I am yet to see someone other than an absolute beginner use 3rd person seriously(=shooting). Even the competitive players never ever use it, the disadvantages are so bad.
It doesn't matter the 3rd person sucks, it is a matter of principle: it should not exist.

Never going to happen if they are having to make changes to matchmaking due to the longer queue times. Player pop has obviously fallen, they aren't going to split the player base more.

Well then i won't play. Not a problem for me, i've got other games to play.

If the population has fallen, perhaps they should think about why it has fallen, and what to do to regain it. Though i reckon they won't do that since they have no idea what they're doing in the first place.

shuri

Banned
I'm having massive problems getting used to the Spiders mech. I'm mainly an Atlas pilot, my boar's head is a killing machine (My stats on it are insane, 250+ kills for 70 deaths or something), and I have mastered all the other atlases. But now its like my play style is too much trained to play as a super heavy like the Atlas. But then again it's like my playstyle is all about super awkward hard to pilot mechs.. I have elited all the AWesomes too!

I have a mastered Raven with twins large lasers + ECM that is very dangerous, but I've bought (and massively upgraded) two Spiders and I'm just going nowhere at all with them. One of them has a LL + 4 machine guns and I'm always getting killed super fast, and I barely any damages. I know we are supposed to do non stop hit and runs with Spiders, but damn.. It's just not clicking for me.

Any strategies?

Orayn

With machine guns, I'd just try to play the Spider as a dedicated kill stealer. Constantly flip between targets and try to get some cheap points on anyone who's lost armor on a body part. The amount of critical hits you can get with multiple MGs is insane.

I've been finding the grind too much and it's reducing my willingness to play.

I know they want to make people buy stuff and i would have picked up some more mech bay slots but it takes forever to get anywhere, let alone then tool it out properly and lastly get the three versions needed for the mastery.

I've been finding the grind too much and it's reducing my willingness to play.

I know they want to make people buy stuff and i would have picked up some more mech bay slots but it takes forever to get anywhere, let alone then tool it out properly and lastly get the three versions needed for the mastery.

This.
All the updates seem to be about giving me loads of new mech options.
At the same time, the rewards are nerfed so that it takes stupid amounts of grind to buy a mech.
So it's basically just taunting me and saying "Hey cheapskate! We've added half a dozen dozen new mechs with 3 or 4 variants each in the time it took you to grind out one variant. Why don't you pay us some cash to avoid having to endure our tedious gameplay. Sorry, did I say gameplay, I meant grind. Sorry did I say grind, I meant awesome gameplay - did you know that the clan invasion will happen soon?"

They need to spend their cash on coders instead of artists. Get community warfare working and the clan invasion, then do a big launch campaign to get new players (i.e. new customers).
Instead, they're stuck in a downward spiral of appealing to the remaining fans who aren't yet bored of the repetitive deathmatches. This means giving cheap (to produce) content at relatively expensive prices, since they are relying on a small and ever-declining customer base.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Booted up for the first time in a while when I saw the Invasion has started advert.

Shouldn't I be able to activate DX10-11 by now? Still has Direct X Version option greyed out to DX9, and 3D Vision Mode greyed out to Off.

Giolon

Booted up for the first time in a while when I saw the Invasion has started advert.

Shouldn't I be able to activate DX10-11 by now? Still has Direct X Version option greyed out to DX9, and 3D Vision Mode greyed out to Off.

March was their latest ETA (as of Dec), but everything the Devs have said to my memory is that DX11 will perform worse and not provide any new features any time soon, so I'm not sure why some people have such a hard on for it.

BigTnaples

March was their latest ETA (as of Dec), but everything the Devs have said to my memory is that DX11 will perform worse and not provide any new features any time soon, so I'm not sure why some people have such a hard on for it.

Damn.

So wait, the devs said it will hurt performance and not add any features? I find that hard to believe.

Giolon

Damn.

So wait, the devs said it will hurt performance and not add any features? I find that hard to believe.

You can believe what you want. I've been following every detail on this game pretty closely since I still play it regularly. The devs have definitely said that DX11 performance will likely be worse until they can optimize it. I'm also fairly certain they said that no DX11-based features will be coming any time soon.

I don't feel like going to try to track all this down b/c often it's said in interviews on podcasts like NGNG, sometimes it's on the forums, and sometimes it's just on developers' twitter feeds.

Now that I'm home for the evening, here's some of the posts that contain info about DX11:

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/145200-2013-state-of-the-inner-sphere/
Russ Bullock said:
March 4th – DX11 – it has been complete essentially since the last Public test but we have waited to get the Christmas break and UI 2.0 behind us before releasing. Some further exploration into FPS concerns before release. It is possible upon release some will use DX 11 where others will stick with DX9 for frame rate concerns while we continue to optimize it.

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/141432-technical-update-november/
Matthew Craig said:
We continue to monitor and work to improve performance, the next target for performance improvement is DX11. Our initial profiling has shown that out of the box the CryEngine DX11 render path is slower than the DX9 path so we have an uphill battle on this front. We’re going to be looking at what we can do to bring that performance above DX9 levels if possible (given the DX11 feature set we’d be surprised if this is not attainable).

http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/130640-technical-update/
Matthew Craig said:
Please note that DX11 is not intended to be a major visual update to the game, the goal is to provide a stable DX11 path that performs the same or better than the DX9 path. This helps ensure we have solid support for Windows 8 and does open the door for us to add better visual support for the game down the road.

BigTnaples

Ah, so initially they just want to support DX11 pathway, and allow for further visual and performance enhancements later down the road.

Thanks for the info!

Well no rush then.

Coming back after a while is kind of jarring, $500 mechs? Holy shit.

Looking forward to the clanmechs, thinking about buying the Madcat package.

My store tab in the game is greyed out....normal?

Orayn

Ah, so initially they just want to support DX11 pathway, and allow for further visual and performance enhancements later down the road.

Thanks for the info!

Well no rush then.

Coming back after a while is kind of jarring, $500 mechs? Holy shit.

Looking forward to the clanmechs, thinking about buying the Madcat package.

My store tab in the game is greyed out....normal?

Yeah, they're reworking the UI in the next patch and "store" didn't really get implemented in this revision. All the stuff you can buy is available in specific menus of the MechLab and Pilot Lab.

Llyranor

It's out.

Have you any of you beta-tested MW Tactics? It has a horrible sluggish interface.

The first thing this reminded me of was MW Tactics.

Giolon

I think it's overall an improvement. It still really needs a way to track where the hell your modules are, a Smurfy-like view that shows all body parts at once (which they said is coming soon, I think next patch on the 18th?), and the Social stuff is still way too buried. What's wrong with just having a constant chat box at the bottom of the screen?

But the mechs look awesome in the new UI w/ the new lighting. It makes me want to spend money making them all pretty! I'm happy that you can finally rename your mechs as well. You can set weapon groups in the mech lab now too.

I find it really easy to navigate around and find my different mechs with the Filtering by Owned & Weight Class. It's much better than scrolling through 32 mechs, 1 at a time.

Edit: I've also played MW Tactics, and this isn't even in the same universe of awfulness. Even the old UI wasn't that bad.

I like the granularity, but navigation is a pain in the ASS. I feel that the only reason it's not insultingly awful to me is that I know what I'm doing.

I echo the above though; needs a module tracker, a method for looking at your inventory and it telling you what you have equipped on other things, filtering the trial mechs so they don't show up on the "owned" search, filtering by actual weight, and then viewing the entire layout at the same time instead of each segment.

I like some of the ready views for twist speed and accel/decel and that associated stuff. The new lighting is far less buggy too.

I'd say overall it's needlessly complicated and will scare new people away, but those who know the difference between an ML and an MPL from abbreviation alone won't have many issues.

Orayn

Yeah, my overall impression of UI 2.0 is a positive one. It needs more filters and some re-scaling of the existing elements, but the new look and flow of the interface is pretty good. Looking forward to seeing it shape up.

El'Kharn

Its not so bad once you get to know how to use all the stuff.
That noise it makes when the cursor passes over an item is BLOODY ANNOYING

Nickiepoo

I guarantee you that this UI was designed by a coder and not an actual designer. Only coders can make UIs this terrible.

This is the worst UI I've seen since Massive and that was hand-coded in the crunch period of a feature film.

It's literally so bad that I lost all impulse I had to play the game.

It's that bad.

Jeez.

Giolon

There's a new Challenge going on this weekend (Feb 21 - 25) that's simple and worthwhile: Win 5 matches, get a free CN9-A(C) (Centurion Champion) mech & mech bay.

In case anyone hasn't spotted it there's a short term challange to give you a free Centurian and a mech bay if you win 5 matches before Tuesday.

The free mechbay is grand and excellent.

The Cent isn't my sort of ride though, so it can be easily sold. The unit can be moved for 2M -ish CBills if you don't want it and sell the equipment within.

And as anticipated, that 8 ML Firestarter is absolutely bloody nuts. My friend is working towards one so we can run them in pairs. It's a monster. I think with a tight group of two of them, no one's arms will be safe.

El'Kharn

Just in general the Firestarters are nuts. I put an AC2 on mine and ran around plinking people all day...cant say i got much done but god damn it was fun.
But they do suffer almost the same hit box reg at times alot like the way spiders were b4 the hit box change

Giolon

About 20 hours left to get your 5 wins in for the free CN9-A(C) & mechbay.

I was in a great match last night where I was on a team that was ~40% Centurions, and we crashed upon the enemy force in a brawly, zombie attack fest and it was glorious. I don't think I've ever seen such a legion of Centurions before.

So this got me back to play and update the game. The core of this game is good, it's fun, but also coming back after so long to play just reminds me how little they have actually done to the game. It's fun, but the speed and lack of updates is what kills it. The new UI seems hit or miss, but also not something that needed such huge emphasis over other things.

About 20 hours left to get your 5 wins in for the free CN9-A(C) & mechbay.

I was in a great match last night where I was on a team that was ~40% Centurions, and we crashed upon the enemy force in a brawly, zombie attack fest and it was glorious. I don't think I've ever seen such a legion of Centurions before.
Got 4 out of 5 wins on Saturday, forgot about it Sunday and Monday, when i checked back on Tuesday i had missed it. Facepalm.

Top Bottom