• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Woorloog

Banned
Dx11 and the Banshee tomorrow.
Yay?

Banshee? When did they make that? It looks like they're pumping out mechs fast, now if they'd add more game-stuff (like 1st person hardcore mode, preferably with repairs and rearmament), not just stuff they can sell...

Hero Banshee's weapon loadout is pretty eclectic, but visually it's very cool.

DX11 is, supposedly, barely functional and won't offer much (if any) performance gains or visual fidelity upgrades, so I'm really not sure why it's on it's way out.

El'Kharn

Game is broken for me now.
Repair tool is broken, getting fatal errors and i cant uninstall the game.
As far as i can tell the windows uninstaller is working fine as it uninstalls other programs just fine.

I think i've finally lost all patience with this game and thats saying something considering i've got a huge family (6 kids) and had to learn it the hard way.
fucking fuck.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Game is broken for me now.
Repair tool is broken, getting fatal errors and i cant uninstall the game.
As far as i can tell the windows uninstaller is working fine as it uninstalls other programs just fine.

I think i've finally lost all patience with this game and thats saying something considering i've got a huge family (6 kids) and had to learn it the hard way.
fucking fuck.

You can use WinDirStat to eradicate the program.

Heh, they introduced achievements, most of which are crazy bar filling ones (like 1000 headshots, which is pretty ridiculous), but in order to facilitate such things, they had to archive and wipe stats.

I really don't understand how or why they couldn't just start counting from your current stats and go from there, but seeing my 2.85 KDR that I've managed to maintain for two years get blasted on the basis of tacking on some busy work is a bit of a pisser.

And I say that as someone who likes achievements.

Giolon

Heh, they introduced achievements, most of which are crazy bar filling ones (like 1000 headshots, which is pretty ridiculous), but in order to facilitate such things, they had to archive and wipe stats.

I really don't understand how or why they couldn't just start counting from your current stats and go from there, but seeing my 2.85 KDR that I've managed to maintain for two years get blasted on the basis of tacking on some busy work is a bit of a pisser.

And I say that as someone who likes achievements.

Your old stats are still there on the website to look at forever or personally combine w/ your current stats if you want to know how they'd have look if they'd just continued w/o a reset. ELO ratings were not reset, though not sure how much it matters since nobody can see them anyway.

I think it'd be interesting if they do what some MMOs do and reset stats every "season" - whatever a season is arbitrarily defined to be. That gives people performance goals to reach periodically.

That place is completely ridiculous, I haven't even checked. Probably a mix of horrible, acidic vitriol and some ridiculous fanboy apologists, as per the usual.

I'm not the game's biggest fan, and find myself only occasionally checking in any more, but having a decent performance metric for the time I've put into it was nice.

I wonder what else they'll introduce before anything useful comes out.

Hopefully a fix for missiles.

Your old stats are still there on the website to look at forever or personally combine w/ your current stats if you want to know how they'd have look if they'd just continued w/o a reset. ELO ratings were not reset, though not sure how much it matters since nobody can see them anyway.

Oh, I am aware I can combine them myself if inclined to do so. It is still, functionally, a reset and a pain the ass. Adding a timestamp to stats and building off there for achievements would not have been a difficult proposition.

Having a single set of stats that I could reference at a glance was something I actually enjoyed about their breakdown page. Global. By variant. Weapons. Modules. That was all super duper and I really liked that. Having that split off is a pain in the ass. A consolidated form would be better.

I like the idea of seasons as well, but with "lifetime" version as well that would combine them all.

I realize I've got a bit of a hard-on for metrics and tracking though. So it might mean more to me than it does to most others.

Woorloog

Banned
Presumably to make legging it easy. With SRMs.
It is amazing how good the concept arts for the mechs in this game are (not counting that most are tad too utilitarian and are not different enough), yet the actual in-game ones tend to be hideous, meh, bad, or just weak.

teepo

the mechs did look amazing for the majority of the closed beta

MechwarriorONLINe.jpg

but yea, the timberwolf looks like ass.

HariKari

the mechs did look amazing for the majority of the closed beta

Everything was better in the beta. Sometimes I glance at the newsletter or the various places where MWO players congregate and shake my head at how badly they've handled the IP. It really deserves better. This is F2P in the worst way imaginable.

It's hard to tell how much of that Timber Wolf leg thing is the angle and how much of it is the pose, and how much of it is just them fucking up Alex's otherwise excellent art. I fear what they'll do to the damn Nova. It'll be cartoon boxing glove fists, probably.

So I fired it up for the first time in a while because, hey, free Thunderbolt. That's one way to get people to check in occasionally, I guess.

Either other people have gotten worse or I had a good weekend. I don't even know any more. Either I got lucky or it's a sign of a still contracting player pool. I can't tell. I don't even know why I log in any more. The lack of progress has moved beyond comedy and is well into tragic at this point.

Bizazedo

I seriously haven't logged in in months, but this topic floating to the surface has snagged my curiosity.

Should I spin it up again (i.e., last time I played was n closed beta) or should I keep farming in Diablo?

It's hard to tell how much of that Timber Wolf leg thing is the angle and how much of it is the pose, and how much of it is just them fucking up Alex's otherwise excellent art. I fear what they'll do to the damn Nova. It'll be cartoon boxing glove fists, probably.

So I fired it up for the first time in a while because, hey, free Thunderbolt. That's one way to get people to check in occasionally, I guess.

Either other people have gotten worse or I had a good weekend. I don't even know any more. Either I got lucky or it's a sign of a still contracting player pool. I can't tell. I don't even know why I log in any more. The lack of progress has moved beyond comedy and is well into tragic at this point.

I seem to pop in every few weeks and play a few matches and my performance is hit or miss. I'll have games where I'll get 3-4 kills and have the highest damage in the match, and then other games were I'll just get straight wrecked.

HariKari

I seriously haven't logged in in months, but this topic floating to the surface has snagged my curiosity.

Should I spin it up again (i.e., last time I played was n closed beta) or should I keep farming in Diablo?

It's in a death spin. They recently added Cbills you can buy for MC.

What was a surprise was a new option in the store: C-Bill Bundles. Players can now buy one of three different bundles of c-bills (the currency earned by playing the game) for MC (the currency only available for purchase with real money). For 800 MC (approx. $4 USD), players can buy 1.1m c-bills in the small bundle, which is not enough buy any but the very cheapest mechs and not enough to fully equip one already-purchased mech. For 1600 MC (approx. $8 USD), the medium bundle has 2.4m c-bills, enough to cover most of the cost of outfitting most already-purchased mechs that do not need an XL engine. The Large bundle for 4000 MC (approx. $20 USD) has 6.5m c-bills, enough to outfit an already-bought assault mech, or a lighter mech that does need an XL engine.

http://themittani.com/news/mwo-april-15th-patch-adds-cash-c-bills-bundles

Definitely do not bother. As HariKari said, the C-Bills for MC exchange is hilariously transparent.

I only shot on because the freebie of one of my favorite classics and the fact that, for some stupid reason, I haven't uninstalled the damn thing yet.

Giolon

You already could buy C-bills for MC by buying mechs w/ MC and then selling them for C-bills at a terrible ratio (1250C-bills / MC, albeit there are some Champion mechs that are outliers they said they're going to look at). The packs are marginally better (up to 1600 C-bills / MC).

I can understand a lot of you are disillusioned with the game and are happy to find any reason to further shit on the game, but this? It's still a far better deal to spend that MC on Premium Time and play a few matches.

Shit on the fact that the game is more or less unchanged since a year ago, still no Community Warfare (which, let's be honest, is likely to be a massive disappointment for most people when it does show up), SRMs still don't work right, AC/2s of all things got hit by DPS and range nerfbat, and performance dropped like a rock for most people when they upgraded CryEngine versions for DX11 support.

No, it's the same game as it was before. If you didn't like it then you won't like it now.

On the plus side, lobbies and private matches are coming a week from Tuesday.

Bizazedo

No, it's the same game as it was before. If you didn't like it then you won't like it now.

On the plus side, lobbies and private matches are coming a week from Tuesday.
I did like the game back in beta. Die hard Mechwarrior fan from the old MW2 Mercs days back on Kali.

Reading more, and considering how long it's been, I am shocked Clan Wars aren't in yet or the territory aspect. That was the biggest hook "back in the day" and that was done by fans in massive leagues.

Giolon

I did like the game back in beta. Die hard Mechwarrior fan from the old MW2 Mercs days back on Kali.

Reading more, and considering how long it's been, I am shocked Clan Wars aren't in yet or the territory aspect. That was the biggest hook "back in the day" and that was done by fans in massive leagues.

Well, if you liked it, it's more or less the same. I've been playing it and enjoying it for what it is. I bought the Grid Iron on sale last week, and even though a Shadowhawk can do anything it could do better, I've been having a blast with it. My Quarterback build.

Clan mechs are coming June 17 for pre-orders. Last I heard from Russ Bullock on the NGNG podcast was that their plan is to release 2 clan mechs per month to the non-preordering crowd, so if you don't pre-buy, plan to get your Timber Wolf in September.

Edit: Here is the roadmap that they laid out last December. It has Community Warfare set for the late summer/fall. FWIW, they have actually hit every deadline that they set so far, except the Launch Module (lobbies and private matches) got delayed 2 weeks. A two week delay out of a near-5 month projected schedule is not bad, IMO.

Alebeard

Neo Member
So, I didnt want to make a thread about, and it is kinda MWO related. Was curious if anyone's play the Mech Warrior Tactics game. Like I said, off the topic of MWO, but still pretty Mech Warrior related.

I can understand a lot of you are disillusioned with the game and are happy to find any reason to further shit on the game, but this? It's still a far better deal to spend that MC on Premium Time and play a few matches.

No, I agree wholeheartedly. Not everything about this game is awful. The core combat, despite the failure of absolutely all accoutrements, is solid. The pacing, the movement, the strategies that can come from these basics and so on are still there. And that's great.

But you're as well aware of the PGI effect as I am. The negatives outweigh the positives when it comes to how they've handled things.

Even if it's just store content, seeing only sale after sale after sale after sale on overpriced wingdings just wears a guy down when there hasn't been actual game improvements in some time. Seeing yet another avenue for MC spending is probably not a huge deal in and of itself, but damn if it isn't adding straw to that camel's back, y'know?

I imagine you're right. CW will be nothing of value in the short term. Probably not in the long term, either. I honestly no longer care about it. The potential has been squandered, as far as my interest level is concerned. I want to see how the Clan tech actually plays out before writing that off, since some of the ideas presented are at least intriguing.

I hope that private games don't end up taking the highest ELO players out of rotation. Although how they've described their method of splitting up queues is bizarre and overly complicated. To be honest, I think as a reasonabily skilled solo player, I'd much rather play with a large premade and fill a gap on their team than sit in a group of pugs. But that won't be allowed, so whatever.

teepo

i'm somewhat excited for the launch module which will set a hard limit on the number of lights, mediums, heavies and assaults that can drop for each match. i believe it's coming out next week alongside making the game's hit-detection fully server side? so there is a possibility that brawling might make a comeback if srm's aren't still wonky...

if that is a bust, then i'll keep the game installed for the occasional freebie.

Tcbys

Banned
Game is still crap. I just played the 5 matches to get the free mech and slot. PGI really squandered the chance of making MWO great. But nope they went just to make quick buck. They should of had CW long time ago.

I don't see a problem at all with the Madcat. The game I think plays and looks fine. The big issue has been the complete lack of content support. Took them forever just to put out a new UI which frankly wasn't needed, instead we need more metagame to keep interest.

I enjoyed my time with the game, the new mechs look great, but they have no draw to keep people playing.

Giolon

I don't see a problem at all with the Madcat. The game I think plays and looks fine. The big issue has been the complete lack of content support. Took them forever just to put out a new UI which frankly wasn't needed, instead we need more metagame to keep interest.

I enjoyed my time with the game, the new mechs look great, but they have no draw to keep people playing.

The problem, as PGI stated, is that they were unable to make changes to the old UI easily, so they couldn't do a lot of stuff like lobbies, different mech views, MC/c-bill rewards, sale bundles, etc. until they had re-written it. I don't have access to their code base, but I don't see any reason to think they're lying about that.

As for draw to keep people playing, the core game is still fun - and for me that's enough to keep playing, even with all the lolPGI. There's also the special sales and mech-earning events, the latter of which they said they couldn't do prior to UI 2.0. My friends and I all played nearly every day last week to try out the new Hero mechs we got on sale and to earn that new Thunderbolt 9S.

Orayn

Am I on drugs, or do the Mad Cats in these shots look slightly less disgustingly leggy than before?

Maybe PGI just has a From Software/Bamco-like knack for taking unflattering screenshots of stuff that doesn't actually look that bad in-game.

Giolon

Am I on drugs, or do the Mad Cats in these shots look slightly less disgustingly leggy than before?

Maybe PGI just has a From Software/Bamco-like knack for taking unflattering screenshots of stuff that doesn't actually look that bad in-game.

Two things:

1) These are displaying the special geometry for the pre-order Prime variant, similar to how the Founder and Phoenix prime variants have unique geometry.

2) A lot of the previous screenshots were taken at angles and positions where the legs look abnormally stretched. See this screenshot they uploaded later, and it looks similarly proportioned to the gold one:

akira28

So, I didnt want to make a thread about, and it is kinda MWO related. Was curious if anyone's play the Mech Warrior Tactics game. Like I said, off the topic of MWO, but still pretty Mech Warrior related.

New game deserves it's own thread. (But no, the MWO hijinks made me not even open up my beta package for MW: Tactics :\)

edit: why do the gold Madcats have arm brackets though? It's almost like they're wearing epaulettes.

akira28

They're going to have a hard enough time with those jutting arms and mickey mouse ears, without making them look like pencil arms and giant bullseye billboards attached to your mech's head.

Clan stuff will be $$$ only in start ?

I wonder if i can still use my free premium month from founder package (aka the lesson to never pay in advance for mmos)

Top Bottom