• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales
NDS Dragon Quest Monster Joker - 430.000 (52%)

Around 825.000 units as first shipment it seems, beats FF3 first day (330k).
holy shit

itprintsmoney.gif

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

OMFG. Massive sales. 3 million seller????

DQ 9 will shut down the japanese economy because its workforce will be in line.

jamesinclair said:
Is next week an up or down week? Was this the peak?
Usually it's a down week, but I think we all know the sales will depend more on supply than the usual demand curve.

kisakiproject said:
:lol OK I think there are some giant expectations for this game. Maybe it will sell multiple millions, but it's a bit early to say that. They're impressive, sure, but as a holiday release that sold "only" a third more than Final Fantasy III did in mid-August on its first day, any predictiosn of it reaching triple FFIII's total sales are a bit premature.

jarrod

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
It isn't even guaranteed 2 million.
I'd agree, as DQ tends to be front loaded moreso... still it's going to clear a million with relative ease and could climb close to the 2m mark before petering out. It's certainly going to outsell all the PS2/GBA DQ spinoffs too.

Actually, isn't this more in line with DQ5 PS2's 1st day sales?

Videos games, cars, there are certain things in Japan that they seem to have psychological problems with buying non-Japanese products. What's strange is that it is only certain things. It's sad that even Blue Dragon seems to have a very small effect, all I can say is "have fun with that industry as Wii wears off and PS3 takes 3 years to take off".

CountZeroInt said:
Videos games, cars, there are certain things in Japan that they seem to have psychological problems with buying non-Japanese products. What's strange is that it is only certain things. It's sad that even Blue Dragon seems to have a very small effect, all I can say is "have fun with that industry as Wii wears off and PS3 takes 3 years to take off".

Not this shit again...

jarrod

Banned
Since when is Blue Dragon a "non-Japanese product"?

The key to Japan is in product design, that's why Coke, Dior or Apple have no problem. Making Xbox appealing to the Japanese isn't an impossible task... it's just something that's beyond Microsoft's ability evidently.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
kisakiproject said:

DQ 9 will shut down the japanese economy because its workforce will be in line.
Funny enough, Japan passed a law saying that Dragon Quest games have to be released on the weekends BECAUSE so many people were skipping work and school to get DQ games on release. :lol

Bo130

GaimeGuy said:
Funny enough, Japan passed a law saying that Dragon Quest games have to be released on the weekends BECAUSE so many people were skipping work and school to get DQ games on release. :lol

...Is this true!? o_O :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GaimeGuy said:

There's no law. Enix volunteered to do this because kids were skipping school.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jeez guys shouldnt have told gaime that, could've been the next "quest make quest 64?"

CountZeroInt said:

If they buy some products from foreign companies, and not others, maybe the deciding factor isn't in the country of origin.

For example, 29 out of the top 31 most reliable cars are made by Japanese car makers (Toyota alone makes 15). So is it really a sign of a "psychological problem" when Japanese cars sell better than other cars? I mean Toyota is set to overtake GM as the largest car maker in the world next year, so there has to be a little more than patriotism behind their products, since they perform well globally.

And I think one thing that gets lost of course is the fact that more Japanese companies have failed trying to crack the Japanese video game hardware market than American companies.

I mean has anyone other than Nintendo and Sony had truly huge hits there when it comes to video game hardware?

I'm sure there are plenty of executives at SNK, Sega, Bandai and others that wished the Japanese just blindly bought anything from Japanese makers.

Microsoft has a good console, that by most accounts has been atrociously marketed in Japan. Wouldn't it be more of a sign of psychological problems if people collectively decided to buy into a product line that has been mishandled for the past 5 years just to avoid the appearance of discrimination, regardless of how well it addresses what people are looking for?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
CountZeroInt said:
sorry to burst your bubble, but most people outside of the US will buy domestic cars thanks to tariffs and domestic incentives. so that pretty much leaves video games to support your incorrect theory.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This thread has taken an interesting direction, from "whoa nice HW sales for the Wii" to OH JESUS ****CAKES LOOK AT FIRST DAY SALES FOR DQM:J, and now on to some xenophobic pseudo-market analysts trying to figure out why BD didn't sell more.

Interesting!

jimbo

Banned
PantherLotus said:
This thread has taken an interesting direction, from "whoa nice HW sales for the Wii" to OH JESUS ****CAKES LOOK AT FIRST DAY SALES FOR DQM:J, and now on to some xenophobic pseudo-market analysts trying to figure out why BD didn't sell more.

Interesting!

I honestly don't understand why there's such a debate about BD. it's simple. The game didn't sell more because there are not any 360 owners. It sold 110k and there are 240k total 360 owners out there. And about 40k of those owners came aboard THANKS TO BD.

What more do people expect?

For BD to have an FF7 type of effect, the 360 needed to have already been selling at least decent. It wasn't. BD did more than most people expected for a dying system. It brought it back to life. Instead of a coma the 360 is wheeling around in a wheel chair now.

It will take about 3 or 4 Blue Dragons to get the 360 selling good in Japan. Give the Japanese FF13 and Dragon Quest on 360 and I promise you all this talk of racism and nationalism will fly right out the window.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

A little product placement and sale-point advertising doesn't hurt:

b17ca0513ed82cfb8391db1760b3a999.jpg

06721b70f79fe482550954b0d4333b64.jpg

1f59279bae89ff1f147d1445153fd21f.jpg

f00f03d5c082a67a3f31b45b427694b6.jpg

fb44bd449db191fcbc8fa2291d91b7f5.jpg

53a786f252b00f2494c67aebf5ab6bfc.jpg

8b90821110ea80e620e6634d93728619.jpg

076f6aa4d9fb530985a34fac172b26e1.jpg

e5a14a2cdc3bc0196967e367537d82ec.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is any of the game in English? I imported a copy just so I could fool around with it, but I primarily just want to play with the graphics engine. I know, nerdy.

Jammy

Banned
Holy shit... those pictures are crazy! I kind of wish American stores were so gung-ho about gaming. I think they're a bit more organized, however.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
CountZeroInt said:

yur stupoid

PantherLotus said:

when is Hamster Training coming to the US/EU?

Oh shit, I saw the DQMJ sales and thought "cool, that's a lot in its first week". But then I saw that it was actually FIRST DAY SALES. This is soo going to pass a million.

Why's it under the Playstation section? DS the new PS confirmed! :lol

Wow. Holy #@!$

I thought the 400k+ for Dq was for the week when i first read it.. then i woke up and realised it was for only 1 day worth of sales. that's huge.

my guess is 650k for the week

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The thing I'm noticing about those pics is their placement in relation to other products. As in, RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ****ING PS2 GAMES.

Funny?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Chris Remo said:
This is true, but Halo occupied a more unique market position than Blue Dragon does. Halo was pretty much the one choice if you wanted a really good single-player and multiplayer first person shooter on a console; there really wasn't anything like that available on GameCube or PS2. Blue Dragon doesn't enjoy that same kind of genre exclusivity. People know there will be tons of big-name console RPGs on PS3; one of them, even one with a good pedigree, probably isn't a system seller for most.

Very true. I didn't want to use Halo as an example because of the different parameters but I needed to respond quickly...hehehe.

But I agree. People were not going to find another "Halo" on the PS2 or the Gamecube for that matter.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
PantherLotus said:
The thing I'm noticing about those pics is their placement in relation to other products. As in, RIGHT SMACK DAB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ****ING PS2 GAMES.

Funny?

Yeah. Heh, what can I say.

Anyways, Japan has become a pretty predictable country....just like the US.......Europe, in my mind has become the only "taboo" country for me. Don't really know what sells there. Sure, PES and a Fifa here and there, but that's not representative of the genre the country likes as a whole: Soccer games well very well in the east in general.

Hah, right in the middle of hte PS2 section...:D

Deku

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Oh shit, I saw the DQMJ sales and thought "cool, that's a lot in its first week". But then I saw that it was actually FIRST DAY SALES. This is soo going to pass a million.

Why's it under the Playstation section? DS the new PS confirmed! :lol

They probably ran out of room to put all the games. It's not uncommon. That space was probably reserved for PSP games.

Neomoto

DS > PS3+PS2+PSP+XBOX360+GBA+GBASP+GBAM+GC+XBOX.
Wii > PS3+PS2+PSP+XBOX360+GBA+GBASP+GBAM+GC+XBOX.

DS > Wii.

:lol

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day sales

Oh good god :lol Dragon Quest Monster is a monster confirmed

Busaiku

dirtmonkey37 said:
Yeah. Heh, what can I say.

Anyways, Japan has become a pretty predictable country....just like the US.......Europe, in my mind has become the only "taboo" country for me. Don't really know what sells there. Sure, PES and a Fifa here and there, but that's not representative of the genre the country likes as a whole: Soccer games well very well in the east in general.

Hah, right in the middle of hte PS2 section...:D
Brain Training and Nintendogs especially have been doing really well in Europe.
I remember seeing (a while back, like in Q1 or Q2) that Nintendogs had sold 2 million in Europe.

Jammy

Banned
Busaiku said:
Brain Training and Nintendogs especially have been doing really well in Europe.
I remember seeing (a while back, like in Q1 or Q2) that Nintendogs had sold 2 million in Europe.

Yeah, Europe has warmed up to Nintendo and especially the DS. Just a couple of weeks ago I think it was reported that 500,000 DS systems were sold in one week alone over there. Also, Nintendogs has sold WAY more than just two million in Europe. It's really astounding how much they fall for these "fads." Brain Age has performed extremely well over there (LEGS) and I believe Chart Track or something just said Brain Age sold more last week than any DS game had before it, even on its launch day, and this was in the UK only!

Top Bottom