• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

Nintendogs is currently sold out in France.
(and Brain Training, and NSMB, and Big Brain Academy, and Yoshi's Island DS, and English Training...)

LOCK

I expect close to all of their first shipment to be sold this week, then sell a quarter of that the next week.

So maybe 2mil is a possibility....

BTW, the earlier analogy of blue dragon on 360 like wonderswan getting gta. I find a better analogy would be a GTA on N-gage. If M$ wants to become more of a niche than the first system was in japan they need continous releases. It has however sold better this november and december waht xbox never did. That was pick up speed. But they did so porrly before that its still uncertain if the 360 can make itself more of a niche system like the afore mentioned wonderswan.

Deku

Banned
kisakiproject said:
BTW, the earlier analogy of blue dragon on 360 like wonderswan getting gta. I find a better analogy would be a GTA on N-gage. If M$ wants to become more of a niche than the first system was in japan they need continous releases. It has however sold better this november and december waht xbox never did. That was pick up speed. But they did so porrly before that its still uncertain if the 360 can make itself more of a niche system like the afore mentioned wonderswan.

You have to consider it is the Christmas sales season so Xbox sales may pick up regardless. If it were high 5 digits, I would be impressed. But 17k in not that great, granted its better than its previous sales history, but again, the holiday kind of makes things non comperable.

360 is pretty much finished there. MS is doing a good job keeping their small fanbase happy and the internationally geared releases will provide 360 gamers there something to play at least through 2008.

Deku said:
You have to consider it is the Christmas sales season so Xbox sales may pick up regardless. If it were high 5 digits, I would be impressed. But 17k in not that great, granted its better than its previous sales history, but again, the holiday kind of makes things non comperable.

360 is pretty much finished there. MS is doing a good job keeping their small fanbase happy and the internationally geared releases will provide 360 gamers there something to play at least through 2008.

Xbox never picked up steam like that during xmas. Xbox 1 never sold 35, 17k a week during big releases or christmases. And M$ will never give up they are too rich and too hell bent on this. Its gonna keep growing slowly. Just like xbox 1 did. The question is will it be bigger or smaller than xbox 1 in the end. Because it will always be niche jsut how big of one. Japanese dev sales are too important on xbox elsewhere, such as Capcom, for them to leave.

kisakiproject said:
Xbox never picked up steam like that during xmas. Xbox 1 never sold 35, 17k a week during big releases or christmases. And M$ will never give up they are too rich and too hell bent on this. Its gonna keep growing slowly. Just like xbox 1 did. The question is will it be bigger or smaller than xbox 1 in the end. Because it will always be niche jsut how big of one. Japanese dev sales are too important on xbox elsewhere, such as Capcom, for them to leave.

I think it might do better than the original Xbox, but not by much. If it does 1 million total, that would be a big improvement over the 500,000 that the first one did.

Trusty Bell, Lost Odyssey, Cry On..... and what else come out next year? Does Ninja Gaiden do well in Japan?

Stopsign said:
Does Ninja Gaiden do well in Japan?

If it doesn't, it's a crime. I wish the XBox NG had been multi-plat, just because as many people as possible need to play the game. It's incredible.

jimbo

Banned
Deku said:

I disagree. While sales may be up slightly because of the holidays, it was CLEARLY Blue Dragon that started the trend. 35k in the week BD came out with 30k BD bundles sold says it all. There was no holiday about that. I might be wrong, but I don't think the Xbox ever sold 35k, 17k and 17k 3 weeks in a row one year after launch.

Heck the original Xbox is currently at 475k in Japan. After what? 4 years? While the Xbox had a better launch, it never got a boost again the way the 360 just did.

The 360 is currently on track for beating the original Xbox in Japan in half the time. With so many more quality rpg's to come there's no reason why the 360 can't become a niche player with 1 million units over its lifespan. Keep in mind most consoles get 80% of their sales when they get in the $100-$200 range.

Again, BD has shown that great games can sell the 360 to the Japanese. No reason to think that Trusty Bell, Lost Oddyssey and Infinite Undiscovery can't do the same. It won't ever be a contender with the Wii and PS3, but I believe the 360 will fare much better than the Xbox in Japan. It has an even tougher battle than the Xbox, considering how much the failure of its predecessor hurt it, but with games like BD, it's showing it can turn things around.

Keep in mind, the 360 was selling 2k a week. The holiday season doesn't bump sales 1700%!!!

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
jimbo said:
I disagree. While sales may be up slightly because of the holidays, it was CLEARLY Blue Dragon that started the trend. 35k in the week BD came out with 30k BD bundles sold says it all. There was no holiday about that. I might be wrong, but I don't think the Xbox ever sold 35k, 17k and 17k 3 weeks in a row one year after launch.

Heck the original Xbox is currently at 475k in Japan. After what? 4 years? While the Xbox had a better launch, it never got a boost again the way the 360 just did.

The 360 is currently on track for beating the original Xbox in Japan in half the time. With so many more quality rpg's to come there's no reason why the 360 can't become a niche player with 1 million units over its lifespan. Keep in mind most consoles get 80% of their sales when they get in the $100-$200 range.

Again, BD has shown that great games can sell the 360 to the Japanese. No reason to think that Trusty Bell, Lost Oddyssey and Infinite Undiscovery can't do the same. It won't ever be a contender with the Wii and PS3, but I believe the 360 will fare much better than the Xbox in Japan. It has an even tougher battle than the Xbox, considering how much the failure of its predecessor hurt it, but with games like BD, it's showing it can turn things around.

Keep in mind, the 360 was selling 2k a week. The holiday season doesn't bump sales 1700%!!!
:lol
You are so awesome.
Actually one of the worst xbots I've ever seen.

jimbo

Banned
starship said:
You are so awesome.
Actually one of the worst xbots I've ever seen.

Wow, what an inteligent reply. And the spoiler thing? Very witty. Wish I was as cool in middle school.

jimbo said:

I think the trends might speak in favor of your argument but I don't understand why you can say with certainty that the 360 won't dip back to pre BD sales numbers.

With the game out of the top 50 and LP not really moving many consoles all during the Christmas shopping season, it's hard to see why it would keep the momentum. It took two excellent games in the space of three weeks to give the 360 lukewarm numbers during the shopping season. I doubt there will be enough games to maintain that pace let alone exceed it. What we are observing is not a turn around. I expect to see the 360 spike to 5 digits every time a good game is released after December is over.

Of course it might turn things around as your excellent insights indicate but the opposite happening is just as likely if not more likely.

starship

jimbo said:
Wow, what an inteligent reply. And the spoiler thing? Very witty. Wish I was as cool in middle school.
You are full of shit and have a lot of misinformation, and I replied to your silly arguments in the past.
Xbox DID almost 17k in the same timeframe in 2002

12.16 - 12.22
Xbox 16,200

And fyi at that time Xbox's installed base was 312k.
Selling 17k in the one of the biggest week of the year (even bigger than the one in the case of Xbox back in 2002) just means one thing, the console is dead.

Why do you think 360 sales won't drop below 10k?

jimbo

Banned
starship said:
You are full of shit and have a lot of misinformation, and I replied to your silly arguments in the past.
Xbox DID almost 17k in the same timeframe in 2002

12.16 - 12.22
Xbox 16,200

And fyi at that time Xbox's installed base was 312k.
Selling 17k in the one of the biggest week of the year (even bigger than the one in the case of Xbox back in 2002) just means one thing, the console is dead.

Why do you think 360 sales won't drop below 10k?

Listen kid, first of all I think you have a screw lose if that's the best way you know how to respond to someone that wasn't arguing with you directly or offending you in any way.

As it's been repeated numerous times just on this page, I guess by all the other "xbots" according to you, the 360 did 35k, 17k, and then again 17k....It didn't just do 17k in one week and that was it. Did the Xbox ever do that?

So, we have facts, not misinformation that shows a whatever small trend there may be.

Second, the statement I made that in one week the 360 sold 30k BD bundles is ALSO FACT, not misinformation. If you are willing to ignore the effect of Blue Dragon on 360 sales, then it is you that are spewing misinformation.

And finally yes, the Xbox was at 312 after its first year(actually most of those came at launch) and then sold 163k FOR THE REST OF ITS LIFE! And just like the case was in the US, the original Xbox had a better launch in Japan. But after launch, it never bounced back up.

jimbo

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
I think the trends might speak in favor of your argument but I don't understand why you can say with certainty that the 360 won't dip back to pre BD sales numbers.

With the game out of the top 50 and LP not really moving many consoles all during the Christmas shopping season, it's hard to see why it would keep the momentum. It took two excellent games in the space of three weeks to give the 360 lukewarm numbers during the shopping season. I doubt there will be enough games to maintain that pace let alone exceed it. What we are observing is not a turn around. I expect to see the 360 spike to 5 digits every time a good game is released after December is over.

Of course it might turn things around as your excellent insights indicate but the opposite happening is just as likely if not more likely.

I never said it won't go back down, as a matter of fact, I expect it to. I just believe it will sell at a higher weekly average than it has before. It was doing 2k a week before LP and BD and also before the Core system was released. So really, before there was a reason to really own one. I simply believe now there's a better reason to buy one and so I expect it to sell better.

cvxfreak

The 360 is done as far as being a force in the Japanese gaming market is concerned. But I still think it's done enough to stay relevant in the grand scheme of things, especially if the 360 were to win in the west over PS3.

P90

cvxfreak said:
The 360 is done as far as being a force in the Japanese gaming market is concerned. But I still think it's done enough to stay relevant in the grand scheme of things, especially if the 360 were to place second in the west over PS3

Yeah. The 360 is largely irrelevant in Japan.

The 360 NEEDS Halo 3. Actually, six months ago 360 needed Halo 3. With Wii getting Nfans and "non-gamers" and PS3 with MGS4 and GT5, I don't know if 360 has a large enough lead to cement #2, much less #1 in the west. The DS getting DQ IX hurts PS3 the most though.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
I think with the amount of good new releases of 360 games in Japan in 2007, plus the already great releases in the last month of this year, we will see the system sell better in 2007 than it did this year. That's not saying too much, but at least Microsoft is building some kind of base. With the original Xbox, I didn't think MS had any idea of what was going on - I think they're starting to grasp the situation now. And they DO need Japan, unlike what others say. Even a million systems would be good, and would show an upward trend in gearing up for the next-next-generation.

starship

jimbo said:
Listen kid, first of all I think you have a screw lose if that's the best way you know how to respond to someone that wasn't arguing with you directly or offending you in any way.

As it's been repeated numerous times just on this page, I guess by all the other "xbots" according to you, the 360 did 35k, 17k, and then again 17k....It didn't just do 17k in one week and that was it. Did the Xbox ever do that?

So, we have facts, not misinformation that shows a whatever small trend there may be.

Second, the statement I made that in one week the 360 sold 30k BD bundles is ALSO FACT, not misinformation. If you are willing to ignore the effect of Blue Dragon on 360 sales, then it is you that are spewing misinformation.

And finally yes, the Xbox was at 312 after its first year(actually most of those came at launch) and then sold 163k FOR THE REST OF ITS LIFE! And just like the case was in the US, the original Xbox had a better launch in Japan. But after launch, it never bounced back up.
First of all, I'm far from a kid, kid.
The fact that douches like you can't understand is that BD boosted 360 sales in Japan but for one week only, after that 360 sales dropped to whatever it would be if BD wasn't released at all. It couldn't keep the momentum the same way you dreamt of.
And again fyi Xbox did about 30k in 2002 in the two weeks and 360 did what, 34k? What an amazing improvement. :lol
I'm sick of replying to your silly comments which you repeats over and over.

Barf_the_Mog

The Xbox 360 will have Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, and other amazing releases this year. If anything, I see MORE momentum for the 360 this year compared to what the Xbox experienced.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
starship said:
First of all, I'm far from a kid, kid.
The fact that douches like you can't understand is that BD boosted 360 sales in Japan but for one week only, after that 360 sales dropped to whatever it would be if BD wasn't released at all. It couldn't keep the momentum the same way you dreamt of.
And again fyi Xbox did about 30k in 2002 in the two weeks and 360 did what, 34k? What an amazing improvement. :lol
I'm sick of replying to your silly comments which you repeats over and over.

Lay off the vitriol. It's uncalled for as jimbo hasn't made any comments deserving of it.

starship

Barf_the_Mog said:
The Xbox 360 will have Halo 3, Lost Odyssey, Trusty Bell, and other amazing releases this year. If anything, I see MORE momentum for the 360 this year compared to what the Xbox experienced.
Halo 3 isn't the type of game that Japanese gamers interested in.
And with the Wii and PS3 readily available in the market, I can't see those other games push 360 much more than what games like EDF3, Chromehounds, Rumble Roses, Dead or Alive, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, FF XI, Lost Planet, .... did without any competition.

Jokeropia

Busaiku said:
Brain Training and Nintendogs especially have been doing really well in Europe.
I remember seeing (a while back, like in Q1 or Q2) that Nintendogs had sold 2 million in Europe.
4 million, actually. :)

Barf_the_Mog

starship said:
Halo 3 isn't the type of game that Japanese gamers interested in.
And with the Wii and PS3 readily available in the market, I can't see those other games push 360 much more than what games like EDF3, Chromehounds, Rumble Roses, Dead or Alive, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, FF XI, Lost Planet, .... did without any competition.

I was wrong when I blamed the Japanese people for not picking up the mana from heaven (the PSP), but I can honestly say that the quality of 360 software in Japan right now is superb and the Japanese are missing out on some gaming bliss.

kenta

Has no PEINS
starship said:
Wait so if the 360 is dead in Japan with those numbers then what does that make the PSP? In the hospital? Standing in front of a bus? I need a frame of reference here

Jammy

Banned
Barf_the_Mog said:
I was wrong when I blamed the Japanese people for not picking up the mana from heaven (the PSP), but I can honestly say that the quality of 360 software in Japan right now is superb and the Japanese are missing out on some gaming bliss.

Ikael

Also, Nintendogs has sold WAY more than just two million in Europe. It's really astounding how much they fall for these "fads."

Thing is, the DS has become here "the console for girlfriends". If you have a girlfriend that you want to bring to the gaming side you give her a DS with Nintendogs (or animal crossing) as a present (I have saw it on the real life and tons of times mentioned in different Spanish forums).

My girlfriend is addicted to my games now, and wasn't interested in them before we got together. She spends hours on Band Brothers for DS, and really loves Elebits right now. Chicks love DS.

starship

kenta said:
Wait so if the 360 is dead in Japan with those numbers then what does that make the PSP? In the hospital? Standing in front of a bus? I need a frame of reference here
Did you see hardware sales for the past week?

PSP 138,588
Xbox360 17,213

And in the eyes of many gaffers PSP is almost a dead handheld in Japan right now even if it sells 8 times more than 360 or has 18 times bigger installed base.

I dunno if GAF understands what dead means. PSP is selling better than any non-nintendo handheld ever. Hell its probably gonna seel about N64 numbers in its lifetime. Its at what 16 million plus in 2 years. Isn't that better than cube/xbox. Guess everybody should leave the market then. Cause everything is dead by those terms.

kisakiproject said:
I dunno if GAF understands what dead means. PSP is selling better than any non-nintendo handheld ever. Hell its probably gonna seel about N64 numbers in its lifetime. Its at what 16 million plus in 2 years. Isn't that better than cube/xbox. Guess everybody should leave the market then. Cause everything is dead by those terms.

No one's downplaying the PSP's hardware sales, but that of its software.

Gamecube sold 18,900,000 pieces of software in Japan (from Launch to March 2004, 2 1/2 years). How much software has the PSP sold so far?

Deku

Banned
kisakiproject said:

I think the PSP has turned into a CE device for Sony, which is fine if their business model was designed to profit from it, including selling the actual hardware at a massive profit, which isn't the case for the PSP. The PSP was designed to sell Memory sticks, UMD movies and games, it has succeeded modestly in doing just one (hint its not umd movies or games).

Jammy

Banned
kisakiproject said:

Um... There's a lot more to sales than just hardware. Software's arguably much more important than hardware sales. Profit margins are also important.

The PSP might have sold a good 17 million worldwide or so, but its games, especially in the past year, haven't performed very well at all. GTA: VCS sold less than 150,000 in its first month, and here in this very topic we have stuff like Kirby (which has been out for several weeks) selling roughly the same amount as MGS: PO in its debut week.

Add in higher development costs, etc. and you really don't get a situation comparable to the N64, GCN, or Xbox. Those systems sold, but their games sold much better.

Its true I did exclude software. However, the tie ratio is always lower on handhelds. In that way PSP has more trouble than N64, GCN, Xbox. But, at this point isn't sony selling PSP's at a profit?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I would just like to say that arguing about 360's success in Japan is horrific in itself. Please, just stop. We all get it, the 360 sold almost as much in its lifetime in Japan as the PSP did in one week. And the PSP is in a distant second in the handheld race.

Look guys. The Japanese market just doesn't want the 360. That doesn't make them inferior. That doesn't make the 360 inferior. It is what it is. That product simply doesn't appeal to them. I'm sure some Japanese products would never sell in the US.

Sitting there and saying that one game helped move consoles is like throwing grains of sand into the ocean. Completely fruitless. The 360 needs and has needed much much more than anything that Blue Dragon could have provided. It looks like an awesome game but it just doesn't make an already-wary public suddenly want to buy a product.

Jammy

Banned
When I talked about profits, I meant how much it cost to make the game and how much can be gained by selling X amount. It just seems that the balance is off when these big scale PSP games only sell 150,000 when sales are supposed to be hot at that time of year.

verplant

cvxfreak said:

1. (NDS / Pokemon) Pokemon Diamant / Pearl - 225.228 / 3.748.570
2. (NDS / Nintendo) Kirby Squeak Squad - 90.221 / 497.507
3. (PS2 / Sega) Yakuza 2 - 80.798 / 362.634
4. (NDS / Sega) Fushigi no Dungeon: Furai no Shiren - 79.932 / 79.932
5. (NDS / Capcom) Mega Man Star Force: Dragon / Pegasus / Leo - 77.152 / 77.152
6. (NDS / Sega) Love and Berry DS Collection - 76.651 / 634.370
7. (NDS / Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 72.194 / 3.552.721
8. (PS2 / Sony) Wild Arms 4 - 68.789 / 68.789
9. (NDS / Nintendo) Jump Ultimate Stars - 66.483 / 371.837
10. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Sports - 62.119 / 314.574
11. (NDS / Nintendo) Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS - 60.394 / 733.854
12. (Wii / Nintendo) Pokemon Battle Revolution - 60.310 / 60.310
13. (PS2 / Bandai Namco) Gundam SEED: Federation vs ZAFT II - 57.641 / 385.660
14. (NDS / Nintendo) Animal Crossing: Wild World - 56.394 / 3.468.613
15. (Wii / Nintendo) Wii Play - 55.080 / 295.021
16. (NDS / Nintendo) Kenkou Ouen Recipe 1000 DS Kondate Zenshuu - 52.016 / 96.314
17. (NDS / Nintendo) Dr. Kawashima: More Brain Training - 50.752 / 3.577.207
18. (NDS / Sega) Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary - 48.849 / 48.849
19. (PS2 / Hudson) Momotarou Dentetsu 16 - 40.166 / 108.207
20. (PS2 / Konami) Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 13 Chou Ketteiban - 37.256 / 37.256

Sony can still win in Japan....

....if they drop the PS3 price to the equivalent of $100 and the PSP to $50. Now.

Seriously, who'd have thought it?

Nintendo = The pinnacle of gaming cool everywhere.

Sony = Inducing yawns outside of the hardcore.

Who would have though that possible two years ago?

TheDrowningMan said:
Sony can still win in Japan....

....if they drop the PS3 price to the equivalent of $100 and the PSP to $50. Now.

Seriously, who'd have thought it?

Nintendo = The pinnacle of gaming cool everywhere.

Sony = Inducing yawns outside of the hardcore.

Who would have though that possible two years ago?

Its like a dream sony can't wake up from... I hope the PS3 can pick up the pace

they are not selling bad when you really look at the sales its just the DS and Wii are selling that much more

Sony should have never come out swinging with the PSP they should have left the portable world alone... it made the hardcore fans take notice of a portable market that use to be something secondary, now it is talked about on the same level as home consoles

NintendosBooger said:
No one's downplaying the PSP's hardware sales, but that of its software.

Gamecube sold 18,900,000 pieces of software in Japan (from Launch to March 2004, 2 1/2 years). How much software has the PSP sold so far?
Do you want me to do the same with NDS and PS2? Its a no-show too.
Handheld tie ratios != Console tie ratios

Saoh

Smiles and Cries said:
it made the hardcore fans take notice of a portable market that use to be something secondary, now it is talked about on the same level as home consoles

or even better!

*coughdragonquest9cough*

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
starship said:
And in the eyes of many gaffers PSP is almost a dead handheld in Japan right now even if it sells 8 times more than 360 or has 18 times bigger installed base.

what you repeatedly fail to grasp is:

- PSP 2006 sales are down on PSP 2005 sales
- one week of 100K+ PSP sales does not make it a success
- PSP 2006 software sales have been very poor
- when PSP is described as "dead", people are thinking of it as a gaming platform

give up trying to convince people that the PSP is a success in Japan.

kisakiproject said:
PSP is selling better than any non-nintendo handheld ever...Its at what 16 million plus in 2 years.

The problem is that people aren't buying PSP software (tie ratio is very poor even for a handheld) and that it is losing momentum in Japan. It sold fewer units in 2006 than in 2005 and basically dropped off the face of the earth in the software charts.

Top Bottom