• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

Another thing you have to look at is the fact that the PSP doesn't have that much software that is oriented to the Japanese' taste in games. Next year they get Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core..... and absolutely nothing else. Sony hasn't pushed the PSP with games well enough. If they do push a game, it is always the wrong one (Loco Roco). I think Sony killed off the PSP more than anyone else. They are no Nintendo when it comes to balancing acts. Nintendo does a good job of balancing out their development resources across 2-3 systems. The Gamecube was Nintendo's least supported system so far, and even then it got over 6 games each year (except 2006).

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
MrSardonic said:
what you repeatedly fail to grasp is:

- PSP 2006 sales are down on PSP 2005 sales
- one week of 100K+ PSP sales does not make it a success
- PSP 2006 software sales have been very poor
- when PSP is described as "dead", people are thinking of it as a gaming platform

give up trying to convince people that the PSP is a success in Japan.
What are you talking about!?
When did I convince people that the PSP is a success in Japan?

I said even PSP (which is selling a lot better than X360) is an almost dead handheld in the eyes of many gaffers, so X360 is dead right now.
I myself am one of those gaffers who think the PSP is an almost dead handheld and far from a success. What you are saying now about it, I said months ago. Just check my post history.

Seriously, this forum is packed with dumbasses lately.

MS's marketing in Japan is near incompetent, or may be fed tasks from Redmond because they keep appearing to do clueless things.

For example, there is going to be an "Adult Gamers" (AKA Otaku Gamers) event in Akihabara in January, featuring mostly Gears of War, then Dead Rising, Oneechanbara vorteX, Crackdown (Riot Act), Vampire Rain, and The Godfather.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/12/25/103,1167030633,64982,0,0.html

These are of course fans that MS needs to go after as a small user base to secure for their very own, but to change their image there they should be super pimping Blue Dragon and Viva Pinata. I can't tell if they are dropping the ball or not, some folks living there now might be able to comment...

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Do you want me to do the same with NDS and PS2? Its a no-show too.
Handheld tie ratios != Console tie ratios

Uh, hasn't the DS already matched the PS2 in terms of the amount of 3 million+ sellers?

Mr. Pointy said:
If you're talking about Japan, the PS2 only had one 3 million+ seller, which was DQ8.

Right, and I was looking through some older threads, and apparently the DS has many 300K+ sellers as the PS2 did in their respective 2nd years (this info brought to light thanks to someone being rather insistent on having 300K as a benchmark for success).

So I really don't think that was the best of comparisons.

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
Right, and I was looking through some older threads, and apparently the DS has many 300K+ sellers as the PS2 did in their respective 2nd years (this info brought to light thanks to someone being rather insistent on having 300K as a benchmark for success).

So I really don't think that was the best of comparisons.

You're welcome.

Donnie

MrSardonic said:
hw1824decyg3.jpg

Nice charts, but I noticed a mistake. You have GC, DS and XBox down as 448 combined but GC sold 1250 on its own You must have mixed up GC's sold number with the GBA.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
starship said:
Seriously, this forum is packed with dumbasses lately.

well if you didn't make such vague posts then people wouldn't misinterpret them.

starship said:
And in the eyes of many gaffers PSP is almost a dead handheld in Japan right now even if it sells 8 times more than 360 or has 18 times bigger installed base.

...can easily be taken as one of the many sarcastic remarks from members trying to suggest that the PSP is anything but dead thanks to its relatively high hardware sales.

Donnie said:
Nice charts, but I noticed a mistake. You have GC, DS and XBox down as 448 combined but GC sold 1250 on its own. You must have mixed up GC's sold number with the GBA.

Thanks, that's exactly what happened. Here's the correct chart:

hw1824deczi5.jpg

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Do you want me to do the same with NDS and PS2? Its a no-show too.
Handheld tie ratios != Console tie ratios
Sony had to hope for console-like game sales to make developing much bigger budget portable games and the take-a-loss-on-hardware strategy viable. Their problem.

CountZeroInt said:
MS's marketing in Japan is near incompetent, or may be fed tasks from Redmond because they keep appearing to do clueless things.

For example, there is going to be an "Adult Gamers" (AKA Otaku Gamers) event in Akihabara in January, featuring mostly Gears of War, then Dead Rising, Oneechanbara vorteX, Crackdown (Riot Act), Vampire Rain, and The Godfather.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/12/25/103,1167030633,64982,0,0.html

These are of course fans that MS needs to go after as a small user base to secure for their very own, but to change their image there they should be super pimping Blue Dragon and Viva Pinata. I can't tell if they are dropping the ball or not, some folks living there now might be able to comment...

Hahahahah akibake. I think M$ thinks if they can appeal to the biggest geeks in japan then they will tell all their friends to buy it thus helping sales. But that hasn't worked. I think M$ doesn't realize that most japanese people aren't otaku/akibake and in general don't like people that are.

Pureauthor said:
Uh, hasn't the DS already matched the PS2 in terms of the amount of 3 million+ sellers?
What does that have to do with what I said? Sure it has more 3m+ sellers, but its tie ratio is half the PS2 one.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Sony had to hope for console-like game sales to make developing much bigger budget portable games and the take-a-loss-on-hardware strategy viable. Their problem.
Pretty much, and they got an even lower than usual handheld tie ratio so :/

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
kisakiproject said:
Hahahahah akibake. I think M$ thinks if they can appeal to the biggest geeks in japan then they will tell all their friends to buy it thus helping sales. But that hasn't worked. I think M$ doesn't realize that most japanese people aren't otaku/akibake and in general don't like people that are.

Using the "M$" moniker is base-level trolling. Nobody will take you seriously when you do shit like that.

ethelred

PantherLotus said:
Using the "M$" moniker is base-level trolling. Nobody will take you seriously when you do shit like that.

Well, his capacity for seriousness was pretty much blown last week with the "Pokemon isn't an RPG" derailment.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ethelred said:
Well, his capacity for seriousness was pretty much blown last week with the "Pokemon isn't an RPG" derailment.

JRPG, come on that makes his argument completely sound!

MS, there. I didn't mean it in a negative way. It was just how its written most places. I thought you guys qualify me as an xbot too? But seriosuly xbox is not going to sell if they market it only to otaku/akibake. You think they would have learned by now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
bmf said:
It would be extra-awesome if someone with all the data going back could do one for the PSP vs the DS/DSL.

Have fun. Doing those are a pain in the ass. It's a slight bit easier now because I can start from the beginning rather than having to go back and do all the past ones. I'm also convinced that by 2008 the numbers will change but the graph itself won't move too much as market share is almost completely established.

I'm not making estiamtes this time just providing these figures so yall can make your own comparisons with last week to give an idea of how this week turned out...
COMGNET raw: 12/25-12/31
Code:
                                        [U]this week vs. last week[/U]
1  DraQue Monsters ~ Joker        1449  New
2  Wii Play	                                  226  217
3  Wii Sports	                  215  229
4  yakuza THE BEST                     184  ???
5  Seiken Densetsu 4	                  165  518
6  New Super Mario Bros.             165  295
7  Yakuza 2	                  122  126
8  Animal Forest DS	                  119  260
9  東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS...  111  ???
10 Kirby Star	                  109  361
11 Pocket Monster Diamond           99  306
12 Mario Kart DS	                   91  148
13 Need For Speed Carbon            82  New
14 Pocket Monster Pearl                81  225
15 東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS... 79  ???
16 World Tales: Radiant Mythology 77  479
17 M.S. Gundam SEED Z.A.F.T.2+  74  140
18 Odoru Made in Wario (Wii)	   73  96
19 平成教育委員会DS                     69
20 監修日本常識力検定協会い DS...  66  ??
I don't know which Brain Training is which, anyone read kanji?

Wii (non-gaming) titles continue to do well thus another good week for Wii HW...
but many (non-wii) large drops this week as it's inbetween X'mas & New Years week...

AniHawk

Square2005 said:
I'm not making estiamtes this time just providing these figures so yall can make your own comparisons with last week to give an idea of how this week turned out...
COMGNET raw: 12/25-12/31
Code:
                                        [U]this week vs. last week[/U]
1  DraQue Monsters ~ Joker        1449  New
2  Wii Play	                                  226  217
3  Wii Sports	                  215  229
4  yakuza THE BEST                     184  ???
5  Seiken Densetsu 4	                  165  518
6  New Super Mario Bros.             165  295
7  Yakuza 2	                  122  126
8  Animal Forest DS	                  119  260
9  東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS...  111  ???
10 Kirby Star	                  109  361
11 Pocket Monster Diamond           99  306
12 Mario Kart DS	                   91  148
13 Need For Speed Carbon            82  New
14 Pocket Monster Pearl                81  225
15 東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS... 79  ???
16 World Tales: Radiant Mythology 77  479
17 M.S. Gundam SEED Z.A.F.T.2+  74  140
18 Odoru Made in Wario (Wii)	   73  96
19 平成教育委員会DS                     69
20 監修日本常識力検定協会い DS...  66  ??
I don't know which Brain Training is which, anyone read kanji?

Wii (non-gaming) titles continue to do well thus another good week for Wii HW...
but many (non-wii) large drops this week as it's inbetween X'mas & New Years week...

so basically, DQMJ sold 1449k or 1,449,000 in its first week, and NSMB sold another 165,000 copies.

amarzing

CANLI

No, that's not possible to do a score like that in its first days.

There are points which mean something but not sales

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AniHawk said:
so basically, DQMJ sold 1449k or 1,449,000 in its first week, and NSMB sold another 165,000 copies.

amarzing
Pokemon fell out of the top 10. Lolz.

Top Bottom