• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create 18 - 24 Dec

jayhawker

Square2005 said:
I'm not making estiamtes this time just providing these figures so yall can make your own comparisons with last week to give an idea of how this week turned out...
COMGNET raw: 12/25-12/31
Code:
                                        [U]this week vs. last week[/U]
1  DraQue Monsters ~ Joker        1449  New
2  Wii Play	                                  226  217
3  Wii Sports	                  215  229
4  yakuza THE BEST                     184  ???
5  Seiken Densetsu 4	                  165  518
6  New Super Mario Bros.             165  295
7  Yakuza 2	                  122  126
8  Animal Forest DS	                  119  260
9  東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS...  111  ???
10 Kirby Star	                  109  361
11 Pocket Monster Diamond           99  306
12 Mario Kart DS	                   91  148
13 Need For Speed Carbon            82  New
14 Pocket Monster Pearl                81  225
15 東北大学未来科学技術共同 DS... 79  ???
16 World Tales: Radiant Mythology 77  479
17 M.S. Gundam SEED Z.A.F.T.2+  74  140
18 Odoru Made in Wario (Wii)	   73  96
19 平成教育委員会DS                     69
20 監修日本常識力検定協会い DS...  66  ??
I don't know which Brain Training is which, anyone read kanji?

Wii (non-gaming) titles continue to do well thus another good week for Wii HW...
but many (non-wii) large drops this week as it's inbetween X'mas & New Years week...

Dragon quest stole everything else's thunder.

:-(

We really need to stop the whole non-game thing.

I mean, if this was back in the Gameboy era, we'd probably hear people call Tetris a non-game.

If Wii Sports is a non-game, then bowling, baseball, golf, boxing, and tennis aren't games either.

castle007

Banned
HOLY ****ING SHIT at DQ Joker :O

1.449 million in a week???? :O

GAF and Japan are going to explode when DQ IX comes out

bmf said:
I thought about that during the maintenance break. You'd have to generate a 100+ charts and then enter them into a GIF editor. It would be suckage.
It would be pretty time-consuming if you wanted them looking really nice and having things like immoveable names, but I've done similar things before with my online-generated graphs. Use a simple spreadsheet command or something to generate the image URLs for a given week, make sure they're set on the mode where image size doesn't vary with total units, save them, load them into an animation program, save. Actually being able to make such animations was one of the original things I wanted to do, though I've ended up not doing that much.

Hmm... if I find some PHP way to turn separate GIFs into animated GIFs, it could be made REALLY easy and quite versatile.

EDIT: A quick Google search turned up something that seems just like what I was looking for. I'll play around with it a bit, maybe see if there are other possibilities that differ greatly in file size generated and whatnot. At first glance, though, this seems like it will be cake.

duckroll

Wyndstryker said:
If Wii Sports is a non-game, then bowling, baseball, golf, boxing, and tennis aren't games either.

They aren't. Didn't you get the memo? It's only a game if there are 5-10 minute cutscenes you can't play and final bosses that have 8 wings with a chorus playing in the background.

duckroll said:
They aren't. Didn't you get the memo? It's only a game if there are 5-10 minute cutscenes you can't play and final bosses that have 8 wings with a chorus playing in the background.

Interactive movies = real games

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
duckroll said:

Wait, what if they have a symphony in the background but no chorus? Symphonies count right? Right?

Snaku

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
The 1,449 number doesn't mean 1,449,000 does it? It's from one chain or something? It can't possibly mean that, right?

Repeating it to yourself doesn't make it so. :lol

AndoCalrissian said:
The 1,449 number doesn't mean 1,449,000 does it? It's from one chain or something? It can't possibly mean that, right?

It doesn't. How many of these copies do you think they actually shipped? Some of you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

NintendosBooger said:
It doesn't. How many of these copies do you think they actually shipped? I can't be over 1.5 million.
Well no, someone said earlier in the thread that 825k was possibly the initial shipment. There just wan't a good explanation of these other numbers. Are they just for one chain or location, or what?

EDIT: I'm not setting myself up for anything, I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Aaron Strife said:
I said wow.

HOW DOES THIS GAME KEEP SELLING!? (nothing against the game, but how do you manage to keep a game on here for so long!?)

Well right now it's reasonable cause the movie just came out. Of course it was still selling before that. I say gnomes.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Aaron Strife said:
HOW DOES THIS GAME KEEP SELLING!? (nothing against the game, but how do you manage to keep a game on here for so long!?)
Heh it's been over a year for it now, pretty sure I've never seen it drop off the top 30 charts.

I've gone about as far as I will this night, so I'll update on my animated GIF progress.

Usually I have my still image charts output as PNG images. Since the class I found sucks GIFs in and spits animated GIFs out, that was one change I had to make. Also they usually vary in size from week to week, as I like for it to be obvious when certain weeks have large sales. These changes put in place, the most recent week looks like
test11constantgif.php

Which doesn't seem any different from the PNG version. However, it seems some colors dither, as can be seen in this image showing a week from two years ago; the old model DS is all speckly. I know GIF is low-color by nature, but I thought with a set palette and a low color image overall it would look fine... wonder if I can fix that. (Ahh, I see the problem is that it's making 15-color GIFs currently. To be looked into.)

Anyway, that being done I then modified the sample PHP file included with the class to instead take as its input "http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/test11constantgifytd.php?date1=2004-11-29", "http://joshuajamesslone.name/gamecharting/test11constantgifytd.php?date1=2004-12-06", and so on. So not completely dynamic yet, but enough to know that once I automate the dates it uses, it will be able to use the files correctly. It does work. Here are the first 17 weeks after DS's release, keeping track of totals since that week.
example9c.php

Limiting it to certain systems and displaying different periods of time to show relative market share change should be doable enough from here.

It does make for a pretty large file, though. If I were to have the above image go from DS launch to present it would be about a megabyte in size. Oh well; image and file size concerns come later.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
My god, it's like everyone forgot how Square's estimates are never near 100%.

Why would the first Ryu Ga Gotoku be back in the top 10 and Pokemon drop out of it?

AndoCalrissian said:
So how much did DQM:J sell in the first week, or are we not sure yet?
We usually don't find out until Tuesday or Wednesday, the week ended yesterday so it would've been hard to give us the estimate for the whole week on Friday.

bud

Dunno if this was posted yet but F1 for the PS3 sold 8k in its first day according to enterbrain

I thought Japan celebrates the new year, not Christmas. So all sales should be up in the next media-create. Including Animal Crossing, kirby, NSMB, Pokemans, etc etc. Maybe even Zelda. I know for me, Zelda was the most magical part of my Christmas. I still haven't completed it.

donny2112

jj984jj said:
My god, it's like everyone forgot how Square's estimates are never near 100%.

Not to mention the fact that he didn't even "estimate" this week. That's the raw sales from the Comgnet chain. There's no multiplication factor being applied. For some reason, a lot of people decided to ignore the discussion of those numbers from past weeks and just be plain ignorant about those numbers this time around.

puck1337

AndoCalrissian said:
I'm not trying to make it true, I'm trying to figure out what those numbers are for.
It's a really really tiny sample, taken from a small chain of Japanese stores. Look through the archives for other COMGNET-related threads. In the past these numbers were used to estimate the total sales for certain titles in a given week, but the resulting estmates are necessarily less than precise.

the thoroughbred said:
I thought Japan celebrates the new year, not Christmas. So all sales should be up in the next media-create.
That may be the case, but they must not put off their purchasing until the last minute. Historically going from this week to the next sales are generally down. Where supply is an issue this may differ; if those numbers Square posted are actually indicative of things at large it seems Wii games held up better than most games.

OK, so the animation stuff goes well. Here's a good animation of the type bmf requested, showing DS and PSP totals/shares on an animated pie since their launch.

20070101testdspspanimationphp.gif

I did make it simple enough to change some options. Date1 is the date from which it sums, Date2 is the first week to show, Date3 is the last week to show. So it would be possible to make an animation of just the totals from a specific year, or to show the last 10 weeks while keeping the totals correct. However, for now I'm just saving this as a GIF and pointing to that. As I currently don't have it caching in any way, any call to it is a slow and costly pain as it generates so many still images to combine into an animation. By testing with an offline GIF program's optimization feature I see the animation could potentially be smaller, but it was slow as hell and I'm not sure if there'd be any way to duplicate that online. All things considered, though, I don't suppose 360K is bad for two years worth of animation.

EDIT: And now my less-fancy-than-Panther-Lotus version of the nextnewgen chart.
20070101testx360ps3wiianimationphp.gif

JoshuaJSlone said:
OK, so the animation stuff goes well. Here's a good animation of the type bmf requested, showing DS and PSP totals/shares on an animated pie since their launch.

20070101testdspspanimationphp.gif

Pac-Man's mouth is slowly closing...

So because I really prefer pies that grow to better display how the total is changing, I made those variants too. The only negative is that it just uses an arbitrary scale to make it fit well, so whenever the pie grows too big I'll have to modify a variable to uniformly shrink the images. But unless I can know exactly where the totals will end up, that's the best solution.

20070101testdspspanimation2php.gif

20070101testx360ps3wiianimation2php.gif

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Good work on your charts Joshua. Some design choices I might not have made, but I know that you're dealing with a lot of older data and that should be commended.

Smiles and Cries said:
whaaaaaaaat?!

My week is ruined

We might get it tomorrow actually. Last year's (Dec 26 - Jan 1) showed up on the 6th despite claims that it won't because of the holidays too.

Top Bottom