• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/05 - 01/11

Grimmy

Banned
TJ Spyke said:
Jasoncheng posted the link with the correct top 30 at 11:07PM EST, your post was at 11:36PM EST. That's 19 minutes. Can we get back on topic now?

It's not correct since he said 4 PSP games, you dolt.

Blablurn

wow, they sold over 330.000 units of pro evolution soccer 2009. i knew it's an important franchise but I didn't expect such high numbers. especially if you cosider the fact it's not that good :/

cvxfreak

Blablurn said:
wow, they sold over 330.000 units of pro evolution soccer 2009. i knew it's an important franchise but I didn't expect such high numbers. especially if you cosider the fact it's not that good :/

The PS2, PSP and Wii versions aren't out yet, either.

GT5P is doing outstanding. I wonder why sales have surged like this recently. It's not in any of the current bundles as far as I know.

Maybe with this economy being as poor as it is people can't afford new cars so they settle for the relatively inexpensive treat.

Zen

Banned
I thought I'd read ( a few weeks ago) that they were throwing in a free copy of GT5 with every PS3? That can't be right though (because there wasn't 70k worth of GT5 Spec III when the PS3 sold 71k recently).

Someone tell me how wrong I am. :|

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
PantherLotus said:
360: 8600

That was quick.
Looks like it's consistently selling at 30% of whatever PS3 sells.

If I am not mistaken the norm for 360 used to be 2-3K. So MS might consider "back to normal" becoming 8k a success. But then again it may not stay at 8K.

01. [PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 44,000 / 801,000
Not gonna make it to 1m at this rate unless it shows legs at 10-15k.

04. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G, PSP the Best (Capcom) - 32,000 / 292,000
2,452k + 292k = 2,744k

09. [PS3] White Knight Chronicles (SCE) - 25,000 / 301,000
Rogue Galaxy launched 20 days earlier in December and it was at 319k as of 2005 end, selling 37k in all 2006. WKC had worse 1st and 3rd week but better 2nd, so far they both had sold 300k as of their third week.

12. [NDS] Phantasy Star Zero (Sega) - 19,000 / 160,000
200k first day shipment was way too high, no wonder if you see its price collapsing.

13. [PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 17,000 / 179,000
16. [PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 15,000 / 256,000
Turnover! What a difference with Media Create btw, MC has PS2 at 212k and PS3 at 282k. 50k between the two trackers...

17. [NDS] Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel (Level 5) - 15,000 / 686,000
Layton 2 was at 714k as of 1/14 last year, so far, incredibly similar performance.

18. [NDS] Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (Konami) - 14,000 / 144,000
144k as of 1/11, last year version was at 215k as of 1/14 and selling 7k but it launched 12 days earlier than this year edition.

20. [PS3] Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) - 11,000 / 335,000
Ahead of 2008 but not by much, 2008 was at 275k as of February. But the PS2 edition was at like 600k and 2009 hasn't been released yet.

21. [NDS] Tales of Hearts: Anime Movie & CG Movie (Bandai Namco) - 11,000 / 212,000
Right at the TOW, TOS-R, TOI numbers. TOE 250k at sight. Lets see how TOW2 fares later this month.

23. [PSP] Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin (Koei) - 10,000 / 143,000
Two things about this one, heavy difference with MC (167k) and its above first Musou Orochi already despite starting slower holidays helped it quite a bit (MO1 PSP 136k).

Zen said:
I thought I'd read ( a few weeks ago) that they were throwing in a free copy of GT5 with every PS3? That can't be right though (because there wasn't 70k worth of GT5 Spec III when the PS3 sold 71k recently).

Someone tell me how wrong I am. :|
Since October every barebones 80GB SKU had GT5P in it, but SCEJ already launched GT5P-less 80GB SKUs (not only barebones but LBP or PES2009 bundles). SCEJ doesn't have the GT5P boxes on their website, so I suppose they aren't shipping more of them.

Paracelsus

Gadfly said:
Looks like it's consistently selling at 30% of whatever PS3 sells.

If I am not mistaken the norm for 360 used to be 2-3K. So MS might consider "back to normal" becoming 8k a success. But then again it may not stay at 8K.

Problem is for most of the year the average of PS3 isn't bigger than 10-15k.

BTW, tomorrow we gonna get Naruto first day sales, Kurosaki?

Can we get the Xbox 360 LTD in Japan? It's gotta be hitting close to a milli right? This the first time it sunk below 10k in like 5 months right?

Paracelsus said:
BTW, tomorrow we gonna get Naruto first day sales, Kurosaki?
Yup, the return of first day numbers after a two week break. Naruto PS3, Fallout 3 PS3, GRID PS360, Castlevania Wii, Mario Tennis Wii, DS Uranai Seikatsu from Nintendo and Devil Survivor DS from Atlus!

Revelations said:
So about 2 more months then given that Star Ocean gives it a huge leap in sales.

Dont expect too much. Yakuza and Demons Souls should push more PS3's, added to that the Resi 5 PS3 bundle. Bam.

Paracelsus

pseudocaesar said:
Dont expect too much. Yakuza and Demons Souls should push more PS3's, added to that the Resi 5 PS3 bundle. Bam.

Nothing on PS3 and 360 will boost shit. Considering both the main Yakuza series and SO were as big as 3D main Tales of until two/three years ago.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Will Famitsu and/or Media Create track the sales of Final Fantasy Advent Children complete blu-ray with the FFXIII demo?

neojubei said:
Will Famitsu and/or Media Create track the sales of Final Fantasy Advent Children complete blu-ray with the FFXIII demo?
Stand-alone? No. But they should count those bundled with the PS3 hardware, but not separately though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
Don't think so... saw plenty when I was in Tokyo last week.

Thanks. Wonder if it won't have quite the legs other titles do given how much bigger it opened.

Paracelsus

Riskbreaker23 said:
i'm surprised WKC has hung in there for so long. it should be close to being in the top 10 selling PS3 games in JP right?

Actually it already should be in the top 5. Dunno if it will it make into the top 3, but it looks doubtful (DW6:356k)

Spiegel

PhanterLotus, this:

28. [PSP] Harvest Moon: Sugar Village (Marvelous)

must be a ds game.

And quoting donny from last week' thread:

My position on the PSP has not significantly changed, either. If you want to put a Monster Hunter-type game on the system or a blockbuster title with a big advertising push (e.g. Crisis Core which sold the system for years before it came out), then the PSP is fine. Otherwise, you better be fine with and budget for 200-300K in sales and see anything over that as a bonus.

LanceStern, is that you?
Now selling 200k-300k is BAD for a non-Monster Hunter/non-blockbuster game in Japan?

Okay, tell that to Namco, Capcom, Marvelous, From Software, Konami,... when their wii games sell less than 40k and only two/three third party wii games have sold 200k+

Lots of games that shouldn't bomb do, even on the best-system-ever-made-for-third-parties PS2. I'm not saying Fragile will, since I haven't really considered it much. I never thought of it as a bellwether title for the Wii (why is it being considered one now, by the way?).

I'm just surprised when I read people saying: "bah Fragile is going to bomb badly but hey, it doesn't matters".

So my question is why don't you think that the multiple third party core bombas will affect the future potential for the Wii and why are you so close minded when we are talking about the present/future potential for the psp.
The thing is, the first two years the third parties were doing better on the psp than they are doing on the wii now.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Okay, tell that to Namco, Capcom, Marvelous, From Software, Konami,... when their wii games sell less than 40k and only two/three third party wii games have sold 200k+

Capcom and Namco both have multiple successes on the Wii.

Marvelous..well we've only really had Rune Factory Frontier as a judge.

From..Tenchu was disappointing, no doubt.

Konami..LOL..what Konami game should have done well in Japan? Dewey's Adventure?

Spiegel

schuelma said:
Capcom and Namco both have multiple successes on the Wii.

Marvelous..well we've only really had Rune Factory Frontier as a judge.

From..Tenchu was disappointing, no doubt.

Konami..LOL..what Konami game should have done well in Japan? Dewey's Adventure?

Multiple successes? Not for donnyStern. Only Tales, Taiko and Re: Umbrella have done well

Konami: The multiple baseball games.

schuelma

Spiegel said:
Multiple successes? Not for donnyStern. Only Tales, Taiko and Re: Umbrella have done well

Konami: The multiple baseball games.

I'll grant you the second PowerPro game- that was definitely a disappointment.

But I wasn't even responding to your whole 200K and above argument- your previous post made it seem like those companies are only seeing bombs on the Wii. That's definitely not the case. Especially for Namco.

d+pad

I'm curious to hear what some of the more in-the-know sales agers think about the fact that Nintendo still hasn't released a new color or even a bundle for the Wii yet.

Obviously it's still doing well enough in Japan - fairly easily besting the PS3 and 360 each week - but it's certainly not pulling the kinds of numbers it used to - or the kinds of numbers the DSi and PSP do.

Is it because of the situation in the rest of the world - i.e. they've diverted stock from Japan to NA and Europe and overall still can't make enough to meet demand - or are they just biding their time (waiting until MHG or MH3 are released, for instance).

They didn't wait this long to release new colors for the DS, did they?

schuelma

d+pad said:
I'm curious to hear what some of the more in-the-know sales agers think about the fact that Nintendo still hasn't released a new color or even a bundle for the Wii yet.

Obviously it's still doing well enough in Japan - fairly easily besting the PS3 and 360 each week - but it's certainly not pulling the kinds of numbers it used to - or the kinds of numbers the DSi and PSP do.

Is it because of the situation in the rest of the world - i.e. they've diverted stock from Japan to NA and Europe and overall still can't make enough to meet demand - or are they just biding their time (waiting until MHG or MH3 are released, for instance).

They didn't wait this long to release new colors for the DS, did they?

Good question. Hardware sales were down in 08 and at least for the first half look to be down as well. Wii Sports Resort is the only software we know about coming out relatively soon that could boost numbers again.

I would think they would start to be more agressive in Japan given the slower sales, but we'll see.

Spiegel

schuelma said:
But I wasn't even responding to your whole 200K and above argument- your previous post made it seem like those companies are only seeing bombs on the Wii. That's definitely not the case. Especially for Namco.

I didn't want to say that. I just found funny that he said: "third parties can only realistically aspire to sell 200k-300k" on the PSP like if that was a bad thing when lots of games are bombing on the Wii and only a few have sold 200k+.

Spiegel said:
I didn't want to say that. I just found funny that he said: "third parties can only realistically aspire to sell 200k-300k" on the PSP like if that was a bad thing when lots of games are bombing on the Wii and only a few have sold 200k+.
He never said "they can only realistically aspire to a horrible awful 200-300K". It's just a fact that after more than four years, the type of software that's managed to break that barrier fits a very narrow profile.

Wii's got a different situation. After two years the types of genre that break that barrier are wide. Fighters, racers, paltformers, sports, party games. However, the publisher spread that's managed to do so is pretty thin.

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii's got a different situation. After two years the types of genre that break that barrier are wide. Fighters, racers, paltformers, sports, party games. However, the publisher spread that's managed to do so is pretty thin.

It's so thin than only Nintendo, Square-Enix (Dragon Quest) and a Taiko game have managed to break that barrier.
All of these nintendo games on WIDE genres have something in common: Mario is in the title, or the game is based on the Mario/nintendo's best selling franchises universe or it's a Wii _ game. So it's not that wide

Yeah, third parties only have to be Nintendo and everything will be fine!

And I have to say that it's a stupid barrier. 300k? Why? We all laughed at LanceStern sometime ago because of something similar.

It would be easier for me if I ask you what game released on the psp do you think that had to break that barrier but hasn't make it.

test_account

XP-39C²
*taken from the previous week's Media Create thread, i am posting here instead of bumping th old thread*

Jokeropia said:
To see whether or not their expectations were correct? If it performs much better or much worse than expected then maybe it will affect their support, but I don't think that will happen.
Ye, i think i missread one of your earlier post. I thought you said that the publisher would take note on how Final Fantasy XIII would sell, but i now see that you said that they would notice, not that they would take note. That is why i asked what they would take note of regarding the sales of FFXIII, except on how many copies that were sold, if there were anything special that the publisher would take note of around the FFXIII sales compared to any other game. FFXIII is perhaps one one the biggest game (big as in "a big title") in Japan in this generation though, so publishers might take extra notes on FFXIII comapred to other games :) I am sorry for the missunderstanding! :(

Chumly

Spiegel said:
And quoting donny from last week' thread:

LanceStern, is that you?
Now selling 200k-300k is BAD for a non-Monster Hunter/non-blockbuster game in Japan?

I'm just surprised when I read people saying: "bah Fragile is going to bomb badly but hey, it doesn't matters".

So my question is why don't you think that the multiple third party core bombas will affect the future potential for the Wii and why are you so close minded when we are talking about the present/future potential for the psp.
The thing is, the first two years the third parties were doing better on the psp than they are doing on the wii now.

Wii third parties sell well in the US and Europe while PSP third parties do not.

Blah blah blah yes I know this is a Japanese sales thread...

Hive

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
So it's now a given AC:Wild World will be Japan's next 5 millions seller :D

that's awesome! I'll be playing that until the end of time~

Someone from Japan just came to visit me and my friends in Portland, and she brought her DS with just Animal Crossing and Dragon Quest IV~ She has great taste ^o^

edit: oh! And good for Wagamama! Let's all hope we can have a Wagamama someday~

Eteric Rice

You know, people want more hardcore games on the Wii, yet I see this (look at the comments) and see bitching when it does get one.

What. The. Fuck.

Eteric Rice said:
You know, people want more hardcore games on the Wii, yet I see this (look at the comments) and see bitching when it does get one.

What. The. Fuck.
your first mistake was reading youtube comments

say, is there a firefox plugin to block them?

Vinci

Danish
cvxfreak said:
The PS2, PSP and Wii versions aren't out yet, either.

I'm way behind on keeping track of the Wii version: They haven't completely fucked up the awesome controls from the first one, have they? Please tell me they haven't.

Eteric Rice said:

What. The. Fuck.

Youtube commenters make the average GameFAQs poster look like a Rhodes Scholar.

Vinci said:
I'm way behind on keeping track of the Wii version: They haven't completely fucked up the awesome controls from the first one, have they? Please tell me they haven't.
Improved defensive controls, pointer based shot aiming, Classic Controller support.

Revelations said:
So about 2 more months then given that Star Ocean gives it a huge leap in sales.
Yes, the 360 will hit a million lifetime in about two months, if you go by Famitsu numbers. If you go by Media-Create numbers it will take another month or so after that. (As per usual disclaimers, neither is "more correct", they're just different.)

Top Bottom