• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
1. donny: Thanks for correction on 45.

No problem. This is its first appearance in an MC Top 50, as well.

PantherLotus said:
2. donny: you did a count of 3rd party games that appeared in the top 50 per system. how about in the top 10?

Sure.

Third-party releases in 2009 charting in the Top 10 in Media-Create:

Wii (3)
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2

PS3 (4)
Fallout 3
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Street Fighter IV
Yakuza 3

360 (2)
Street Fighter IV
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

NDS: 6, PSP: 8

Spiegel said:
That wasn't my point, I'm saying that I don't expect some unannounced blockbuster from Nintendo to be announced and released within the next 4-5 months in Japan. And nobody should expect that because Nintendo Japan has yet to release 10 announced games (one of them being the next Wii _ thing)

Huge rumored games (Pikmin, Zelda) announced at GDC/E3 and released in October/November? Sure

But M+ could change things and as donny well says maybe they are holding back announcements.

I see what you mean. Honestly why didn't Nintendo just wait an extra year for Motion Plus and pack it with a Wii that is a bit more powerful and is capable of HD and essentially market it as the next step up from the original Wii (I.E. iPOD to iPOD Video).

charlequin said:
I don't see any convincing reason whatsoever for Atlus to break up their handheld dev plan now (DS and PSP are both treating them pretty well) or any reason whatsoever to go to Wii. Atlus would have done well there if anyone else had broken open the jRPG market there, I think, but that clearly didn't happen, and now Atlus is making SMT4 for PS360.

It will be interesting to see how Megaten does on the PS3/360. Did the PS2 gamers make the jump to the PS3? Or are they still on the PS2 and game on handhelds? Is the very small niche Western base going to eat the series like it does current on the PS2 on the 360 and PS3?

All of this is so curious.

t3nmilez

Flying_Phoenix said:
I see what you mean. Honestly why didn't Nintendo just wait an extra year for Motion Plus and pack it with a Wii that is a bit more powerful and is capable of HD and essentially market it as the next step up from the original Wii (I.E. iPOD to iPOD Video).

Too early for a revision, and such a major thing would piss off a lot of the current Wii owners.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
bmf said:
Guaranteed to instantly make any PS360 game work crossplatform.
Japanese studios still make most titles with "PS2 in HD" approach, so porting around would generally be easier then it looks. On the flipside they do get by with far more reasonable budgets too, apparently.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Third-party releases in 2009 charting in the Top 10 in Media-Create:

Wii (3)
Fragile: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2

PS3 (4)
Fallout 3
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Street Fighter IV
Yakuza 3

360 (2)
Street Fighter IV
Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope

NDS: 6, PSP: 8

Whats most interesting to me is the disparity in budget between the PS3/360 games that charted and the Wii games.

Nobody can tell me that it cost the same to develop Fragile, a sequel to One Piece and the DS port of FFCC as it did to develope SFIV, Star Ocean 4 and Yakuza 3.

I am still confused as to why they did not make a Wii version of SFIV, they surely could have sold enough to warrant the expense of toning down the graphics and Capcom has repeatedly said the Wii could run the game...just that it would not look as good

Flying_Phoenix said:
It will be interesting to see how Megaten does on the PS3/360. Did the PS2 gamers make the jump to the PS3?

"PS2 gamers" didn't go anywhere specific, since the market is completely fragmented right now. I think a fairly significant portion of the core RPG-buying market now owns at least one of PS3 and X360 in Japan, while there's basically no specific concrete evidence yet that all that many of them own a Wii.

Tmac

I'm curious to see how Yakusa second week numbers will compare to SO4, which were pretty weird. ~90% drop in second week doesnt look very good.

Fafalada said:
Japanese studios still make most titles with "PS2 in HD" approach, so porting around would generally be easier then it looks. On the flipside they do get by with far more reasonable budgets too, apparently.
You're probably right. It seems as if my joke failed too. :( I had the hitatchi magic wand and everything.

:lol :lol :lol

markatisu said:
Whats most interesting to me is the disparity in budget between the PS3/360 games that charted and the Wii games.

Nobody can tell me that it cost the same to develop Fragile, a sequel to One Piece and the DS port of FFCC as it did to develope SFIV, Star Ocean 4 and Yakuza 3.

that`s right, but RGG3 numbers are more than the 3 Wii games combined...

it`s interesting to make a comparison list about how many games entered M-C top10, but i think it would be better to include also 1st week sales number for a better comparison.

charlequin said:
"PS2 gamers" didn't go anywhere specific, since the market is completely fragmented right now. I think a fairly significant portion of the core RPG-buying market now owns at least one of PS3 and X360 in Japan, while there's basically no specific concrete evidence yet that all that many of them own a Wii.

I think ToS2 and Fire Emblem proved that there is a hungry RPG market on the Wii. But then again the PS3/360 haven't been proven "RPG dead" either.

I do agree that the PS2 owners are scattered about. If I was Atlus I'd transfer the series to the DS, but that's just me.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I think ToS2 and Fire Emblem proved that there is a hungry RPG market on the Wii.
Weeell, maybe, but by examples such as those we'd find GCN to be equally or more hungry.

Wii

Wii

Famitsu Software Stuff

Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope has a start that is greater than the recent PSP remakes of 1 and 2 (2761 and 2849), but far below that of Star Ocean 3 (1567).

It's pretty understandable given that it's an X360 game, though, and in THAT context, it's started out much more quickly than any of that system's other big games. In fact, this first week makes it the #2 X360 game overall.
Infinite+Undiscovery

The PSP Idolmaster games are off to a big start, too; bigger than any of the earlier X360 releases. Even adding up the original and its budget rerelease (2644 and 2752), no X360 version of the game has yet hit 100K.

Without a holiday behind it Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) doesn't maintain its large lead over Partners in Time (212). However, at 2 weeks it's still about where Partners in Time was at 3 weeks.

markatisu

Moor-Angol said:
that`s right, but RGG3 numbers are more than the 3 Wii games combined...

it`s interesting to make a comparison list about how many games entered M-C top10, but i think it would be better to include also 1st week sales number for a better comparison.

The comparison like that would just reinforce the disparity, I mean look at Fragile. It had no advertising budget to speak off and even at the trade shows it was demo'd at Namco was disinterested in pushing it, so what difference would it make it any of the PS3 games opened at 10x larger when all the ones being mentioned had an advertising and production budget probably 10x bigger as well.

Sure RE5, Star Ocean 4, etc are going to open at high numbers. With all the money spent on them they would be utter failures if they opened up at like 30-50k

Segata Sanshiro said:
It hasn't dropped in any of the stores I visit. I'd hesitate to call it a price collapse based on an Amazon sale alone.
Are any of these other amazon sales common in stores?

70%OFF(2,446円)■PS3:「Valkyria Chronicles」 (budget re-release?)
70%OFF(1,814円)■DS:「Ragnarok Online DS」
67%OFF(1,999円)■PS3:「Derby Time Online」
67%OFF(1,588円)■DS:「Face Training DS」
65%OFF(3,632円)■PS2:「Devil Summoner 2 PLUS (LE)」
55%OFF(2,988円)■DS:「Tales of Hearts CG Edition」
49%OFF(3,116円)■Wii:「de blob」
46%OFF(3,999円)■Wii:「Tatsunoko VS. CAPCOM」
43%OFF(4,035円)■Wii:「FRAGILE」
43%OFF(3,945円)■PS3:「White Knight Chronicles」
44%OFF(4,386円)■Wii:「Animal Crossing with Wii Speak」
38%OFF(2,360円)■Wii:「Wii de Asobu Pikmin」
38%OFF(3,248円)■DS:「RIZ-ZOAWD」

Taken from sinobi blog in case you guys want to check.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Off-hand, I've seen Face Training, Tales of Hearts CG, and RIZ price reduced in stores. I'd have to specifically check on the others.

Brofist

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

White Knight is a pretty low price, haven't seen that it low in stores. VC is a "the Best" title now, but that's still a good price too.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
hirokazu said:
Wow, I didn't expect that much from Yakuza 3.

How does it stand compared to other PS3 first weeks? Second highest?

Yup

Tmac

Is there any HD console game million seller in japan yet? Whats the chance of yakua 3 being the first?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tmac said:
Is there any HD console game million seller in japan yet? Whats the chance of yakua 3 being the first?
No and doubtful. It might have legs, but PS3 just doesn't have the install base to give it PS2 level legs. I think 800k~ best case scenario including rerelease.

test_account

XP-39C²
markatisu said:
I am still confused as to why they did not make a Wii version of SFIV, they surely could have sold enough to warrant the expense of toning down the graphics and Capcom has repeatedly said the Wii could run the game...just that it would not look as good
When Capcom said that Wii could run Street Fighter 4, did they mean the current Street Fighter 4 engine or did they mean that it was just possible to make Street Fighter 4 for the Wii (with another game engine)? In this 1up.com interview, the Street Fighter 4 producer says that SF4 could be on anything, even the iPhone.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169458 (it says so at the end of the interview)

When they said that the Wii could run SF4, maybe they ment that SF4 was possible, but then they would have to make a own game engine for the Wii? If this is the case, then this might have been a relatively expencive development if they would have to make a new gaming engine and almost make the game from the ground up. Unless they already have some engine that they could use, maybe the Tatsunoko VS Capcom engine. Capcom used the Resident Evil 4 engine when making Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop for the Wii :)

But i dont know, i am just thinking out loud here.

And if we only take the japanese sales into account, i would guess that there is a chance that a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 wouldnt be profitable, or at least not much profitable. It seems that fighting games in Japan seems to have gone down relatively much in popularity i Japan. But, i think it definitly should have been interesting to see how a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 would sell. And now i only took the japanese sales into account. If a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 would be made, then i am sure it would be released worldwide, which potentionaly means more sales :)

By the way, has there been any PS3/Xbox 360/Wii versions of a game that has been released at the same time in Japan?

bmf said:
FFXIII and Gran Turismo 5 will likely be the only two for this generation.
I'm less than certain about Gran Turismo, since it wasn't FF-big last generation. Combining the original and Best rereleases, GT3 did about 1.5 million and GT4 about 1.2. I'm also thinking all these Concepts and Prologues spread through the years will somewhat lessen demand for an eventual main product, buuut it's hard to quantify that.
test_account said:
When Capcom said that Wii could run Street Fighter 4, did they mean the current Street Fighter 4 engine or did they mean that it was just possible to make Street Fighter 4 for the Wii (with another game engine)? In this 1up.com interview, the Street Fighter 4 producer says that SF4 could be on anything, even the iPhone.
I didn't think he was literally meaning that the current version of SF4 could be easily ported to anything, but that the gameplay system could. Behind the scenes it wouldn't be that different from similar games that have been around since the early 90s. It's not a Dead Rising or something that would require them to take large liberties to put it on lesser hardware.

hirokazu

test_account said:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169458 (it says so at the end of the interview)

When they said that the Wii could run SF4, maybe they ment that SF4 was possible, but then they would have to make a own game engine for the Wii? If this is the case, then this might have been a relatively expencive development if they would have to make a new gaming engine and almost make the game from the ground up. Unless they already have some engine that they could use, maybe the Tatsunoko VS Capcom engine. Capcom used the Resident Evil 4 engine when making Dead Rising: Chop Til You Drop for the Wii :)

But i dont know, i am just thinking out loud here.

And if we only take the japanese sales into account, i would guess that there is a chance that a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 wouldnt be profitable, or at least not much profitable. It seems that fighting games in Japan seems to have gone down relatively much in popularity i Japan. But, i think it definitly should have been interesting to see how a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 would sell. And now i only took the japanese sales into account. If a Wii version of Street Fighter 4 would be made, then i am sure it would be released worldwide, which potentionaly means more sales :)

By the way, has there been any PS3/Xbox 360/Wii versions of a game that has been released at the same time in Japan?
I guess he meant since the SFIV gameplay component is 2D, you could tinker with the graphics engine (or create an alternative one) to get it to run on stuff like Wii and iPhone. The graphics would obviously not be the same, but the gameplay engine should be the same, except perhaps an alternative control scheme.

Personally, I think even if a Wii version of SFIV was released at the same time as the PS3/360 versions, the other two would likely outsell it significantly. My gut feeling is, most people who are interested in it would likely have a PS3/360, perhaps in addition to owning a Wii, and are likely to pick it up on their PS3/360 because of better graphics, control and online service.

Not that the PS3 and 360 controllers are much good for the game, but traditional games like this are just not meant to be played with the Wii remote, even if the option is there to choose.

spwolf

perfectchaos007 said:
Not me.

I'd gladly shell out $300 for a Wii with PS3 graphics, motion +, HD, and DVD playback

problem is that it wouldnt be $300 right now (if Nintendo keeps to their margins).... But i am sure that even this year we might see bundled motion+ or different colors or some price discount IF this keeps up (in JPN).

[Nintex]

Segata Sanshiro said:
I was in Akihabara today and 7th Dragon is like, sold out everywhere. Pretty crazy.

Still readily available at my local stores, though.
I haven't read much about 7th Dragon, but maybe they're looking for an DS RPG fix because Dragon Quest IX is delayed.

spwolf

hirokazu said:
I guess he meant since the SFIV gameplay component is 2D, you could tinker with the graphics engine (or create an alternative one) to get it to run on stuff like Wii and iPhone. The graphics would obviously not be the same, but the gameplay engine should be the same, except perhaps an alternative control scheme.

Personally, I think even if a Wii version of SFIV was released at the same time as the PS3/360 versions, the other two would likely outsell it significantly. My gut feeling is, most people who are interested in it would likely have a PS3/360, perhaps in addition to owning a Wii, and are likely to pick it up on their PS3/360 because of better graphics, control and online service.

Not that the PS3 and 360 controllers are much good for the game, but traditional games like this are just not meant to be played with the Wii remote, even if the option is there to choose.

people are looking at it from wrong perspective... Capcom is looking from cost/benefit perspective and how to utilize their resources the best. I think Wii version is very low in priorities and they would probably sell more on PSP in Japan.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I was in Akihabara today and 7th Dragon is like, sold out everywhere. Pretty crazy.

Huh, I didn't realize you were in J-GAF. The GF was also in Akiba today, picking up a new 12-megapixel camera.

Jokeropia

spwolf said:
people are looking at it from wrong perspective... Capcom is looking from cost/benefit perspective and how to utilize their resources the best. I think Wii version is very low in priorities and they would probably sell more on PSP in Japan.
I'm not convinced, but the game will sell more outside of Japan than in Japan anyway.

Cheesemeister said:
Holy crap, you're halfway to Utsu! And I thought I was out of town in Kawaguchi, Saitama-ken.
Yeah, I'm in the sticks, but it's a pretty great town, and an hour to Tokyo isn't all that bad. It's extremely good for clearing my backlog, at least.

We should break bread sometime, though.

thaOwner

Segata Sanshiro said:

Still readily available at my local stores, though.
Awesome. I want that game to sell very well so I can get a chance to play it.

apujanata

Neo-Sheperd said:
Awesome. I want that game to sell very well so I can get a chance to play it.
Me too.

cheesemeister said:
Holy crap, you're halfway to Utsu! And I thought I was out of town in Kawaguchi, Saitama-ken
Is Saitama the province where Initial D take place ?

Cheesemeister said:
Holy crap, you're halfway to Utsu! And I thought I was out of town in Kawaguchi, Saitama-ken.

Don't miss to go to Daytona III in Warabi :)

Anyway, if things don't change (and i hope they won't), next year i'll be in Saitama-ken too (i'll already go there on next August)

FYI Face Training was already hard discounted on last summer, Tales, Animal Crossing Wii, Tatsucap, Pikimin Wiimake, Devil Summoner price drops are probably due to large stock unsold...

You answered your own question.

Really though I don't think they will. Street Fighter is just not a casual game, even though Capcom likes to pretend it is in interviews. Even if they dumbed down the controls ala Easy Operation, I just don't think there is a market for this on Wii. Just look at the TvC numbers for an indication how bad it would do.

Arpharmd B said:
You answered your own question.

Really though I don't think they will. Street Fighter is just not a casual game, even though Capcom likes to pretend it is in interviews. Even if they dumbed down the controls ala Easy Operation, I just don't think there is a market for this on Wii. Just look at the TvC numbers for an indication how bad it would do.

are you seriously suggesting a wii version of SF4 wouldn't sell many times more than TvC did?

Not sure how truthful these numbers are. But these are the weekend sales

1. Biohazard 5 [Resident Evil 5] (PS3, Capcom) - 350,000
2. The 7th Dragon (NDS, Sega) - 120,000
3. Shin Sangoku Musou: MultiRaid [Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce] (PSP, Koei) - 86,000
4. Biohazard 5 [Resident Evil 5] (360, Capcom) - 74,000
5. Ryuga Gotoku 3 [Yakuza 3] (PS3, Sega) - 61,000
6. Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (NDS, Nintendo) - 41,000
7. Super Robot Taisen Z Special Disc (PS2, Namco Bandai) - 33,000
8. Aibou DS (NDS, Tecmo) - 23,000
9. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G [PSP The Best] (PSP, Capcom) - 19,000
10. Taiko no Tetsujin Wii (Wii, Namco Bandai) - 17,000

Note: RE's number is cumulative. (Though that'd be awesome if it did sell 350k over the weekend + the 255 from launch day :lol )

Top Bottom