• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mrbob said:
Star Ocean 4 should have debuted on PS3.

I disagree, mutiplatform for the maximum return on investment.

With that said, they should give us the option to change the tiny ass font in SO4.

Lightning

Banned
Bad numbers for SO4, no other way to put it. Totally expected after a lackluster first week numbers though.

Yakuza 3 numbers are fantastic. Great job to Sega and the creator.

PS3 hardware bump is kinda disappointing given such awesome software sales...

Mrbob

I didn't say PS3 exclusive. Should have been on PS3 from the start or first. Japanese publishers are self owning attempting to support the 360 platform first and foremost in Japan.

Asherdude said:
Maybe. But is Star Ocean 4 good enough to warrant a top spot in the sales chart?

Yeah, but thats all relative for the week. Looking at Yakuza sales, and previous Star Ocean sales building up to this one, I'm positive SO4 would have sold at least over 300K its first week had it been on PS3.

cvxfreak

Mrbob said:
I didn't say PS3 exclusive. Should have been on PS3 from the start or first. Japanese publishers are self owning attempting to support the 360 platform first and foremost in Japan.

Yeah, but thats all relative for the week. Looking at Yakuza sales, and previous Star Ocean sales building up to this one, I'm positive SO4 would have sold at least over 300K its first week had it been on PS3.

Agreed.

Lightning said:
Bad numbers for SO4, no other way to put it. Totally expected after a lackluster first week numbers though.

Yakuza 3 numbers are fantastic. Great job to Sega and the creator.

PS3 hardware bump is kinda disappointing given such awesome software sales...
Kenzan didn't exactly give PS3 that much of a bump last year. I would not be surprised if some Yakuza fans already had a PS3 because of Kenzan. If Kenzan never came, then I would expect a larger bump.

WinFonda

Mrbob said:

It's moneyhatz. Gotta be. The only way it makes any sense. Either way, maybe Japanese publishers will wise up and realize there is a healthy reservoir of disposable income on the PS3 being underutilized and they'll stop this nonsense of delaying ports, or not porting games at all.

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales: 02/23 - 03/01

23. [PS3] Demon's Souls (SCE) - 8,200 / 76,000

DSL 11000
DSi 41000
PSP 40000
Wii 22000
PS3 35000
PS2 5700
360 13000

http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1235980219/939
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1235980219/941
http://dubai.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/ghard/1235980219/942

So Demon Souls is still alive?I hope it has long legs.

Also, If the rumors are to be believed I wonder what type of numbers the PSP4000 will do?

If Yakuza 3 holds up, and future PS3 games reflect its performance and boost the console's weekly sales, it's gonna be a real wake up call to Nintendo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cartman414 said:
If Yakuza 3 holds up, and future PS3 games reflect its performance and boost the console's weekly sales, it's gonna be a real wake up call to Nintendo.

How many big releases are ahead, though? Resi5 and the FFXIII demo are the closes ones I can think of.

Defuser

Mrbob said:

But noooo,they just have to listen to Microsoft's wallet.

Regulus Tera said:
How many big releases are ahead, though? Resi5 and the FFXIII demo are the closes ones I can think of.
Sadly that is all. After April,the schedule is real dead until FFXIII.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Neo-Sheperd said:
Wow, I thought Halo Wars would appeal to a lot of Asian gamers since its an RTS an all, guess my prediction
was so far off.

Thats the rest of Asia. Japan has far different tastes

t3nmilez

I guess those Chaos; Head Noah sales are pretty good, I can see it hitting 20k. Haha, I guess between visual novels and shooters, they'll know where the money is!

PSGames

Mrbob said:

It depends. I'm sure MS more than made up that difference in money hats. Plus developing on the PS3 would have raised dev costs considerably and pushed the game back even further.

Plus sales in America would more than likely be higher on 360 compared to PS3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PSGames said:
It depends. I'm sure MS more than made up that difference in money hats. Plus developing on the PS3 would have raised dev costs considerably and pushed the game back even further.

I think the situation was, 360 dev kits were out first, not money hats.

icecream

Public Health Threat
t3nmilez said:
I guess those Chaos; Head Noah sales are pretty good, I can see it hitting 20k.
That's very good for console ports nowadays. Most companies are happy if they even break 10K.

Kagari said:
In this case, more like MS woos developer with dev kits and moneyhats, developer pushes publisher to go 360.

GhostSeed

01. [PS3] Yakuza 3 (SEGA) 372,000 / NEW

Nagoshi (laughs)

xop8cw.jpg

gbovo

Kagari said:
...yet Capcom/Koei/Konami were still able to release multiplatform PS3 games alongside 360 versions since last year. Square Enix was one of the first Japanese publishers to get PS3 devkits (due to the cozy relationship they still had with SCE back in 2006). So if SE wanted Tri-Ace to make SO4 multiplatform, they would have been able to provide devkits to them back in 2006/2007, allowing Tri-Ace some time to port over their existing 360 code as best as possible, to allow for a simultaneous release in Feb 2009.

icecream

Public Health Threat
gbovo said:
allowing Tri-Ace some time to port over
You're assuming that tri-Ace would waste their time porting.

If SO4 is coming to the PS3, S-E/TOSE would be doing the porting, not tri-Ace.

gbovo

icecream said:
You're assuming that tri-Ace would waste their time porting.

If SO4 is coming to the PS3, S-E/TOSE would be doing the porting, not tri-Ace.
you're missing the point...

hwateber

Neo-Sheperd said:
Wow, I thought Halo Wars would appeal to a lot of Asian gamers since its an RTS an all, guess my prediction
was so far off.
maybe if this was the korean sales thread :lol

icecream

Public Health Threat
gbovo said:
you're missing the point...
At that time, tri-Ace had their hands full with SO4 and IU. Who exactly were you expect them to spare for a PS3 port?

You should instead ask why S-E decided not to build a simultaneous port themselves alongside the 360 version at the time, since you claim S-E had easy accessibility to the PS3 devkits.

Kagari said:

I think it's a question of positioning changing from where it was in late 2004 coming into now.

Nintendo came in expecting nothing from third parties, and expecting that they would probably have to run without them, especially coming from where they were with the GC. Microsoft came in with little to provide software for their system without 3rd party involvement, and came out the gate with a bunch of moneyhats and earlier dev kits. Sony came out the gate planning on being 1st by default. 3rd parties came out figuring that Sony'd be first, and the recipient of most of their efforts. They also saw MS's moneyhats and dev kits, and many of them decided that they could get a head start and hedge their bets by utilizing those moneyhats and dev kits and going multiplatform or starting their projects as MS exclusive.

Then the shit hit the fan. Nintendo came screaming out the gate, and the 3rd parties are now in a state of major flux trying to figure out where to put their new projects, and cross-platforming as many of their PS3 (and 360) titles as they can in order to make up for a smaller market than they really expected.

There are developers and publishers that are shifting their focus to the Wii. There are developers and publishers who have decided that HD is the future (despite their accountants) and won't develop for the Wii no way no how. There are publishers and developers who are split. The rest of this generation is going to be an interesting ride, and I'm happy to be here to watch.

yes, this was originially in the other thread, but got delayed by 500 errors and then my other commitments

Awntawn

icecream said:
At that time, tri-Ace had their hands full with SO4 and IU. Who exactly were you expect them to spare for a PS3 port?

You should instead ask why S-E decided not to build a simultaneous port themselves alongside the 360 version at the time, since you claim S-E had easy accessibility to the PS3 devkits.
I think that's what he meant, you were making a big deal about his semantics 3; The idea is the same, someone could have ported it. I don't think the team working on FFXIII is the same team that's porting it either, at least not right now.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Awntawn said:
I think that's what he meant, you were making a big deal about his semantics 3; The idea is the same, someone could have ported it.
As long as he makes the correct distinction between the publisher and the developer. tri-Ace is not a part of S-E. They are not subject to all of S-E's decisions.

linsivvi

gbovo said:
...yet Capcom/Koei/Konami were still able to release multiplatform PS3 games alongside 360 versions since last year.

I think part of the reason is that up until this gen, SE/Tri-Ace has little to none multi-platform experience. Especially on simultaneous releases.

Top Bottom