• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/16 - 03/22

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Spiegel said:
PSP LTD - 12,003,821
GBA LTD - 15,348,849

:O

I haven't been following the HW sales that closely, but wasn't PSP at like only 6 million a year ago or something like that? Seems to have made phenomenal strides.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
I'm not sure I'd agree with that assertion. It seems like it was more a case of PSP-2000 giving it an instantaneous boost to a new level and MHP2 combined with an onslaught of new colors made the descent very slow.
I agre with that the PSP colors and that MHP2 has helped the possibly decline in sales of the PSP, but do you mean that only the colors and MHP2 are the only reasons why the PSP sales have been strong after the release of the PSP-2000? If so, those colors must have been doing something very great :)

Some people thought the PSP would end up with an LTD of like 6-7 million in Japan if i am not mistaken. Now the PSP has reached 12 million, and it is still growing. If someone can manage to sell millions of extra consoles (compared to what some people thought it would sell) based on new colors and on one game (MHP2), then this is an incredible achievement i must say :)

EDIT: I added some text. I am sorry for the very late edit :\

Jokeropia said:
I'm just saying that PSP is so far from being to GBA what DS is to PS2 that the comparison needs a disclaimer.
Oh wow. If anyone pointed it out before I guess it wasn't in a very big way, but I see now that with the new MC numbers DS has finished with yet another million. Past 26 now. These things come frequently enough that when typing in the title for this image, it suggested an auto-complete of "DS passes 24 million"

frankie_baby said:
anyone know how much the original ps2 monster hunter games did (first week and ltd)?
Here's what I've got in image form:
MH2+Best

and here's the same thing with table mode turned on so you can see the actual numbers.
Oblivion said:
:O

I haven't been following the HW sales that closely, but wasn't PSP at like only 6 million a year ago or something like that? Seems to have made phenomenal strides.
It was reaching 6 million just when Crisis Core/PSP-2000 arrived in September 2007. So sales from the last 1.5 years have basically matched what came in the 2.75 before that.
2007-09-10

RpgN

Gully State said:
Once Monster Hunter 3 comes out, wii sales will spike again. Let's not forget that Nintendo has yet to cut the price on the wii also.

It doesn't look like they ever will. Their strategy so far looks like they would rather announce a new revision with the same price instead of a pricedrop, but who knows...

About MH3, a lot of us are expecting this one to sell big time but can we be 100% sure? It seems like MH became really popular because of being portable and playing local multiplayer. MH sold quite decent on the ps2 (about 500k?) which makes it having a decent following as well...hmmmm. I'm really excited to see how much it will sell on the wii.

Eteric Rice

RpgN said:
It doesn't look like they ever will. Their strategy so far looks like they would rather announce a new revision with the same price instead of a pricedrop, but who knows...

About MH3, a lot of us are expecting this one to sell big time but can we be 100% sure? It seems like MH became really popular because of being portable and playing local multiplayer. MH sold quite decent on the ps2 (about 500k?) which makes it having a decent following as well...hmmmm. I'm really excited to see how much it will sell on the wii.

They still have a few options. The first and probably most logical one will be colors. While they don't create a long term jump, it'll be enough to pique sales back up into the 20ks for a while. After that, they can do a hardware revision that will give the Wii enough power to upscale to 720p, which I think would cause a really nice hardware spike around the world (because the hardcore hate jaggies).

After that they can just hope there are some enticing games.

I really think the root of the problem is that the Wii is a home console, which are losing popularity in Japan. They need to find a piece of software that would make the Wii viable again. I'm thinking something social. Something that could connect family members in a society that is really, really busy.

Eteric Rice said:
After that, they can do a hardware revision that will give the Wii enough power to upscale to 720p, which I think would cause a really nice hardware spike around the world (because the hardcore hate jaggies).
To attract the people who hate the way SD content appears on their 720p TV, but not enough to have chosen a TV with a decent upscaler to begin with?

Eteric Rice

JoshuaJSlone said:
To attract the people who hate the way SD content appears on their 720p TV, but not enough to have chosen a TV with a decent upscaler to begin with?

By upscale, I mean sort of like that emulator in that other thread.

IE, get rid of the jaggies.

Also, HDTVs with good scalers are kind of rare.

markatisu

Eteric Rice said:
I really think the root of the problem is that the Wii is a home console, which are losing popularity in Japan. They need to find a piece of software that would make the Wii viable again. I'm thinking something social. Something that could connect family members in a society that is really, really busy.

I think this would only really effect the US and EU. Japan seems to outright reject HD as a sales point. Whether a HD compatible Wii would spur on developers is another story, but I think based on the performance of the PS3 and 360 in Japan, the Wii's biggest hurdle is that its not a portable system because regardless of recent performance it is still almost 5m units ahead of its nearest competitor and nothing in the next 6 months is going to shift that.

Spiegel

Famitsu

Top 10 Wii games

01 Wii Sports (Nintendo) 02/12/2006 3,451,161
02 Wii Fit (Nintendo) 01/12/2007 3,238,058
03 Wii Play (Nintendo) 02/12/2006 2,659,845
04 Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) 10/04/2008 2,187,137
05 Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Nintendo) 31/01/2008 1,778,395
06 Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) 26/07/2007 1,338,791
07 Animal Crossing : City Folk (Nintendo) 20/11/2008 1,089,936
08 Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) 01/11/2007 954,223
09 Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Nintendo) 02/12/2006 623,936
10 Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) 22/11/2007 594,157

Top 10 PS3 games

01 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (Konami) 26/07/2007 698,401
02 Ryu ga Gotoku 3 (Sega) 26/02/2009 439,166
03 Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds (SCEJ) 26/07/2007 410,052
04 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) 05/03/2009 383,743
05 Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 (Konami) 27/11/2008 372,104
06 Dynasty Warriors 6 (Koei) 11/11/2007 371,443
07 White Knight Chronicles (SCEJ) 25/12/2008 324,710
08 Gundam Musou (Bandai Namco) 01/03/2007 317,580
09 Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (Konami) 22/11/2007 316,533
10 Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom) 21/01/2008 310,102

Top 10 360 games

01. Blue Dragon (MGS) 07/12/2006 203,740
02. Star Ocean 4: The Last Hope (Square-Enix) 19/02/2009 193,584
03. Tales of Vesperia (Bandai Namco) 07/08/2008 175,058
04. The Last Remnant (Square-Enix) 20/11/2008 146,890
05. Infinite Undiscovery (Square-Enix) 11/09/2008 113,195
06. Lost Odissey (MGS) 06/12/2007 109,517
07. Dead or Alive 4 (Tecmo) 29/12/2005 108,618
08. Viva Pinata (Platinum Collection) (MGS) 10/07/2008 101.552
09. Forza Motosport 2 (Platinum Collection) (MGS) 10/07/2008 100.591
10. Ace Combat 6:Fires of Liberation (Bandai Namco) 01/11/2007 95.002

Top 10 DS games

01 Pokemon Diamond / Pearl (Pokemon) 28/09/2006 5,646,944
02 New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo) 25/05/2006 5,442,414
03 Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) 29/12/2005 4,995,722
04 Animal Crossing: Wild World (Nintendo) 23/11/2005 4,951,642
05 Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) 19/05/2005 3,776,263
06 Mario Kart DS (Nintendo) 08/12/2005 3,395,847
07 Pokemon Platinum (Pokemon) 13/09/2008 2,361,196
08 English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills (Nintendo) 26/01/2006 2,163,328
09 Nintendogs (Nintendo) 21/04/2005 1,878,610
10 Mario Party DS (Nintendo) 08/11/2007 1,864,471

Top 10 PSP games

01 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (Capcom) 27/03/2008 2,453,132
02 Monster Hunter Portable 2 (Capcom) 22/02/2007 1,723,187
03 Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Square-Enix) 18/12/2008 875,103
04 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square-Enix) 13/09/2007 809,364
05 Monster Hunter Portable (Capcom) 01/12/2005 668.964
06 Phantasy Star Portable (Sega) 31/07/2008 636,973
07 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) 30/10/2008 496,096
08 Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee (SCEJ) 12/12/2004 399.257
09 Kidou Seshi Gundam : Gundam vs. Gundam (Bandai Namco) 20/11/2008 397,251
10 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Konami) 21/12/2006 358.277

EDIT

Source: http://www.geocities.jp/v7160c_l5/wiips3main.html

Nyampoo

Eteric Rice said:

Handhelds are more suitable for social gaming, even in families, in Japan. Sitting right next to each other with a dedicated system/screen for each person connected via WiFi. Also with this way, you can have your TV set for its primary purpose, the TV shows.

markatisu said:
I think this would only really effect the US and EU. Japan seems to outright reject HD as a sales point. Whether a HD compatible Wii would spur on developers is another story, but I think based on the performance of the PS3 and 360 in Japan, the Wii's biggest hurdle is that its not a portable system because regardless of recent performance it is still almost 5m units ahead of its nearest competitor and nothing in the next 6 months is going to shift that.

I think HD graphics might possibly have something in Japanese gaming market, but not with the way it currently is, I mean the western style. The currently available HD graphics techniques are meant for western games and not suitable for Japanese games. Imagine UE3 rendered Mario. I'm sure what's taking SE to develop FFXIII so long is that they had to develop the "proper" realtime HD rendering method for JRPG from scratch all alone. And from what I saw, they somehow managed to do that. Maybe not technically superb like Gears, but "proper" for JRPG. And I'm also sure that Nintendo is busy developing "proper" HD rendering for Mario and Zelda too.

But there is also another aspect: HD gameplay. Actually it matters even more. Japan NEVER wants HD gameplay, like you can go wherever you want, NPCs are so lively they react to what you do, you can be good or evil, make your own story, superb enemy AI, etc. FFXIII will end up being HD graphics with oldschool JRPG gameplay, and I can clearly see those "advanced" western gamers will be laughing how uninnovative it is. And you know what, even Japanese gamers are getting tired with oldschool JRPGs, or traditional console games entirely.

So there is no future in Japanese console gaming, HD or SD? I don't know. Maybe Nintendo will come up with some idea that no one else has ever before, once again. Maybe not. One thing for sure is most of Japanese gamers are happy with DS and PSP.

Linkup

Nyampoo said:
I think HD graphics might possibly have something in Japanese gaming market, but not with the way it currently is, I mean the western style. The currently available HD graphics techniques are meant for western games and not suitable for Japanese games. Imagine UE3 rendered Mario. I'm sure what's taking SE to develop FFXIII so long is that they had to develop the "proper" realtime HD rendering method for JRPG from scratch all alone. And from what I saw, they somehow managed to do that. Maybe not technically superb like Gears, but "proper" for JRPG. And I'm also sure that Nintendo is busy developing "proper" HD rendering for Mario and Zelda too.
I don't think things work the way you think they do.

Nyampoo said:

What does this even mean?

HUH???

Nyampoo said:
Handhelds are more suitable for social gaming, even in families, in Japan. Sitting right next to each other with a dedicated system/screen for each person connected via WiFi. Also with this way, you can have your TV set for its primary purpose, the TV shows.

But there is also another aspect: HD gameplay. Actually it matters even more. Japan NEVER wants HD gameplay, like you can go wherever you want, NPCs are so lively they react to what you do, you can be good or evil, make your own story, superb enemy AI, etc. FFXIII will end up being HD graphics with oldschool JRPG gameplay, and I can clearly see those "advanced" western gamers will be laughing how uninnovative it is. And you know what, even Japanese gamers are getting tired with oldschool JRPGs, or traditional console games entirely.

So there is no future in Japanese console gaming, HD or SD? I don't know. Maybe Nintendo will come up with some idea that no one else has ever before, once again. Maybe not. One thing for sure is most of Japanese gamers are happy with DS and PSP.

:lol :lol holy shit

phez

Banned
Some things to note with JRPGS:

with the 360 approaching 1 million, rpgs are selling at 20% (and less) of the userbase. with the ps3, WKC is hovering at around 10%.

Askia47

perfectchaos007 said:
If Nintendo doesn't do something fast on the Wii, Japan may be done with it forever.
? Idk why everyone is worried. The Wii isn't losing much ground, its in 1st place of the consoles.

Im more concerned about 360/PS3, they actually need more help.

Nyampoo

LOL. Looks like I screwed up. Maybe I tried too much to tell everything I wanted to, but failed. Maybe I didn't know what I wanted to say after all. Sorry for the mess.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
phez said:

with the 360 approaching 1 million, rpgs are selling at 20% (and less) of the userbase. with the ps3, WKC is hovering at around 10%.
This has more to the fact that people who bought the 360 they got them because of RPGs MS acquire to get some Japanese market share like Blue Dragon, Tales, and Lost Odyssey. PS3 has a bigger user base with a wider taste.

cvxfreak

A few Dragon Ball Z games for PS2/PS3/360 are now ¥3980.

White Knight Chronicles is now available at Bic Camera for only ¥2980.

Pikmin Wii is ¥1980 (tempted to pick it up at this price).

At Sofmap, one can get Metroid Prime 3 for ¥980.

cheesemeisterpricecollapse.gif

Famitsu Software Stuff

Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (3432) has now sold more than either previous game sold while in the Top 30, and has yet to drop from the Top 10.

One Piece Unlimited Cruise: Episode 2 is performing similarly to the original. Its first week was lower, but its second and third weeks have been better.
E2

Animal Crossing City Folk has finally fallen out of the Top 30 (for this week, at least), but Wild World at #25 maintains an Animal Crossing presence in the list. At the rate it's been selling recently, Wild World is probably 8 or 9 weeks from hitting 5 million.
95+-+Animal+Crossing%3A+Wild+World+-+DS

Rpgmonkey

So it seems a "Platinum Collection" version of Tales of Vesperia has been confirmed by this blog (very bottom): http://www.famitsu.com/blog/jamzy/2009/03/tov_039.html#more

Don't know if it's old news, but not even Japanese retailers seem to have it up yet, so eh.

I figured it would be more interesting news in a (Japan) sales-age thread than the game's thread, but I was also wondering if anyone knew what kind of numbers these things pull on the 360?

Sagitario

Rpgmonkey said:
So it seems a "Platinum Collection" version of Tales of Vesperia has been confirmed by this blog (very bottom): http://www.famitsu.com/blog/jamzy/2009/03/tov_039.html#more

Don't know if it's old news, but not even Japanese retailers seem to have it up yet, so eh.

I figured it would be more interesting news in a (Japan) sales-age thread than the game's thread, but I was also wondering if anyone knew what kind of numbers these things pull on the 360?

OMG... Vesperia DS port confirmed!

oqewq8.jpg

dfyb

Banned
phez said:

they only buy 360 for the jRPGs

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Can't believe this thread is only 5 pages long. Threads like this used to reach page 5th just a few hours after being created. What's going on?

teepo

TTP said:
Can't believe this thread is only 5 pages long. Threads like this used to reach page 5th just a few hours after being created. What's going on?

nintendo of japan has been hit with ED.

obaidr

Banned
hahah i just translated the famitsu page with Google translate tool and I got this:

Xbox 360 sales have surpassed 100 units in total! PlayStation 3 will total 300 million

Is this what they say?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

thaOwner

bttb said:
Famitsu Sales:

- Xbox 360 passes 1 million.
- PS3 passes 3 million.

- MHP2G passes 3 million.
- Brain Age 2 passes 5 million.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1223150_1124.html
Damn, this is good news. Now PS3 is like 5 or so million units from Wii and 360 is only 2 million away. This is very interesting to me. Like JoshuaJSlone pointed out, with the help of Crisis core, Monster Hunter and other games, minor hardware revisions and new colors for PSP, It has managed to sell over 6 million units in 1.5 years have basically matched what came in the 2.75 that was before. What's interesting is what effect a PS3 slim and 360 slim will have its ever introduced to the Japanese market.

Nice milestones. With Brain-Age 2 past 5 million now, can't be long before Animal Crossing follows suit ;)

MHP2G looks like it could even get to 3.5 million before year's end which is amazing.

360 hitting a million is well deserved after some big exclusives.

manzo

360 passed the 1 million mark about halfway of its life cycle in Japan.

Quite interesting, considering that Microsoft aimed for 1 million during its whole life.

So, what's next MS? SO4 has sailed its ship in Japan and sales are slowing down back to the original 2007 levels.

Famitsu had Brain Age 2 at 4.967 million at the end of 2008. So I guess it's averaged about 3K/week since then.
Rpgmonkey said:
Considering they're on X360, not too bad. Some Platinum games have done a few dozen thousand copies, even. Viva Pinata and Forza 2 are freakishly large due to being bundled.
manzo said:
7 year plan?

thaOwner

manzo said:

Quite interesting, considering that Microsoft aimed for 1 million during its whole life.

So, what's next MS? SO4 has sailed its ship in Japan and sales are slowing down back to the original 2007 levels.
Probably going after FXIIIvs if it isnt already multiplatform and possibly enter into agreement with other major rpg companies for exclusive games seeing as how they sell "OK" on the system in Japan. I think its possible for the console to actually get to 1.6 million depending on how long they plan on keeping it on the market.

Top Bottom