• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/16 - 03/22

kswiston

Neo-Sheperd said:
Probably going after FXIIIvs if it isnt already multiplatform and possibly enter into agreement with other major rpg companies for exclusive games seeing as how they sell "OK" on the system in Japan. I think its possible for the console to actually get to 1.6 million depending on how long they plan on keeping it on the market.

I doubt that Microsoft will secure any new Rpg exclusives after companies have seen the Worldwide sales of Vesperia/SO4/Last Remnant (We may see another exclusive or two if the deal was made a year ago though). 300-400k Worldwide is not very good for a big name console Rpg. I think securing multiplatform releases are much more likely.

Xbox 360 needs to sell 6k a week on average for the next 2 years to hit 1.6M. I'd guess that somewhere around 1.3M is more likely unless this console generation is extremely long, or a future MS game becomes a national phenomenon.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Unfortunately, MS blew most of their big games load already and they are back to low levels (but good for them actually considering where they were). This is just telling Japanese devs that they need to bring these games to PS3. At least both but most JRPG's need to be at least on PS3 and Wii to work better.

Spiegel

Spiegel said:
Famitsu

Top 10 PS3 games

01 Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriot (Konami) 26/07/2007 698,401

I didnt't catch this at first sight. It's highly probable that MGS4 outsells MGS1

PSX MGS1 705k ltd
PS3 MGS4 698k ltd

LiquidMetal14

Spiegel said:
I didnt't catch this at first sight. It's highly probable that MGS4 outsells MGS1

PSX MGS1 705k ltd
PS3 MGS4 698k ltd
Wonder what the userbase was for comparisons sake. Could be mighty impressive as it seems the PS1 was much more ahead of the PS3 at this point in the life span.

thaOwner

Spiegel said:

PSX MGS1 705k ltd
PS3 MGS4 698k ltd
Yup. Looks like it will. It hasn't even been a year yet since its release so it won't be long now.

Spiegel

bcn-ron said:
Those are all lower bounds.

Not really. The LTDs are on Famitsu so I suppose Kurosaki did the maths with these numbers:

360 1,001,191 units
PS3 3,009,395 units
MHP2G 3,008,554 units
Brain Age 2 5,000,391 units

Rolf NB

Spiegel said:
Not really. The LTDs are on Famitsu so I suppose Kurosaki did the maths with these numbers:

360 1,001,191 units
PS3 3,009,395 units
MHP2G 3,008,554 units
Brain Age 2 5,000,391 units
Oh I see. I hadn't found the LTDs yet. I just thought the Xbox 360 number in particular was too low to be a weekly figure. Pretty sharp drop-off there.

kswiston

Based on Famitsu number, MHP2G makes Capcom only the third publisher to ever have a game break the 3M barrier in Japan (other two are obviously Nintendo and Square Enix).

So while we kill a day waiting for tomorrow's number leaks, I have a question: Which game do you think will have the higher LTD when all is said and done, MHP2G The Best or MH3 (Wii version only of course)?

Considering the Best edition of MHP2G seems to be a lock for at least 1M at this point, I think that MH3's victory is far from assured.

thaOwner

Man, I would be amazed if the PS3 managed to outsell the Wii this week too. DSi will likely outsell PSP again so no surprises there.

kswiston said:
Based on Famitsu number, MHP2G makes Capcom only the third publisher to ever have a game break the 3M barrier in Japan (other two are obviously Nintendo and Square Enix).

So while we kill a day waiting for tomorrow's number leaks, I have a question: Which game do you think will have the higher LTD when all is said and done, MHP2G The Best or MH3 (Wii version only of course)?

Considering the Best edition of MHP2G seems to be a lock for at least 1M at this point, I think that MH3's victory is far from assured.

console monster hunters dont sell anywhere like the psp ones, i doubt MH3 will get much past 1 million

thaOwner

frankie_baby said:
console monster hunters dont sell anywhere like the psp ones, i doubt MH3 will get much past 1 million
Yeah, pretty much this. I think the selling point for the psp version was the free online and the ability to take the

system with you on the go and enjoy the game with your friends wireless while not being tied down at a spot.

MH3 will do decent numbers in Japan but it'd certainly won't outsell the psp version.

LiquidMetal14

Don't be so quick to dismiss MH3, it's a big property in Japan and should not be underestimated. That being said, it does seem to be established as this portable game so it's tricky to see how the Wii base will take to it.

kswiston

frankie_baby said:
console monster hunters dont sell anywhere like the psp ones

This is only the Best version re-release of MHP2G vs Monster Hunter 3 for Wii. Obviously MH3 isn't going to break 3M+. The Best version of MHP2G is at ~550k including the numbers for this coming week's Famitsu. It really comes down to A) how you think MHP2G Best will sell for the rest of its run, B) How you think MH3 will perform.

Spiegel

Here are some interesting hardware (Famitsu) numbers from sinobi's blog

- PC-FX 400k
- Mega CD 400k
- Xbox 500k
- Neo Geo Pocket 550k
- Virtual Boy 630k
- 3DO 720k
- NEO-GEO 1 million
- Xbox360 1 million
- Game Gear 1.78 million
- PC Engine CD-ROM2 1.92 million
- Dreamcast 2.45 million
- WonderSwan 3 million
- PS3 3 million
- Mega Drive 3.58 million
- PC Engine 3.92 million
- GameCube 4.02 million
- NES disk system 4.44 million
- NINTENDO64 5.54 million
- Sega Saturn 5.9 million
- Wii 7.95 million
- SuperNes 17.15 million
- Nes 19.23 million

2nd G's sales at this point are sick. Sega dipped its toes in trying to mirror with PSPo and PS0 but flopped, but its interesting Square haven't fast tracked Agito along as we have seen so little from that game.

Capcom is dumb for not heavily pushing Monster Hunter portables in the west. I guess they dont really need to though, which is ridiculous. Imagine if MHP had EU and US big numbers to top up the crazy JPN numbers.

I dont see MH3 doing too much on the Wii, but all eyes on for MHP3.

kswiston

SecretBonusPoint said:
2nd G's sales at this point are sick. Sega dipped its toes in trying to mirror with PSPo and PS0 but flopped, but its interesting Square haven't fast tracked Agito along as we have seen so little from that game.

Phantasy Star Portable didn't flop. It's the 5th best selling game on the PSP at 635k. It's also the best selling game of the franchise by a large margin.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Capcom is dumb for not heavily pushing Monster Hunter portables in the west. I guess they dont really need to though, which is ridiculous. Imagine if MHP had EU and US big numbers to top up the crazy JPN numbers.

I dont see MH3 doing too much on the Wii, but all eyes on for MHP3.

Some games work in all territories (Wii fit for example), some don't. Halo 3 sold almost 6M copies in North America. In Japan it is under 100k. In fact, I can't really think of a FPS for any system that broke 200k in Japan.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Don't be so quick to dismiss MH3, it's a big property in Japan and should not be underestimated. That being said, it does seem to be established as this portable game so it's tricky to see how the Wii base will take to it.

i can see with the whole popularity of monster hunter increasing over the last few years i can see 3 selling very well indeed and quite possibly being the biggest selling home version by quite a long way

thaOwner

frankie_baby said:
i can see with the whole popularity of monster hunter increasing over the last few years i can see 3 selling very well indeed and quite possibly being the biggest selling home version by quite a long way

Wait, there have been home versions before ? and if you have access to the numbers, how much did the last home version sell ?

- Dreamcast 2.45 million
- PS3 3 million

The Dreamcast was discontinued in, what, 2001? 2 years it managed 2.5 million, doesn't seem like it got a fair shake.

Had Sega not pulled the plug I bet they could have had > Cube LTD when it was all said and done :/

kswiston

Neo-Sheperd said:
Wait, there have been home versions before ? and if you have access to the numbers, how much did the last home version sell ?

Monster Hunter 2 for PS2 was over 600k with best re-release. Don't have the exact number.

Neo-Sheperd said:

yes there have been home version, no i havent got the numbers but think they were all somewhere between 500k and 1 million

kswiston

Arpharmd B said:
The Dreamcast was discontinued in, what, 2001? 2 years it managed 2.5 million, doesn't seem like it got a fair shake.

Had Sega not pulled the plug I bet they could have had > Cube LTD when it was all said and done :/

Dreamcast launched in Nov 1998 in Japan. March 2001 was only when they stopped manufacturing consoles, they would have still been sold in retail for some time after that. Games were still released for the system regularily in Japan until 2004 or so.

In reality, it was more like 2.5 Million in 3-3.5 years. I don't think it would have ever caught the Gamecube, even if Sega left it on the market a full 5 years.

kswiston said:
Phantasy Star Portable didn't flop. It's the 5th best selling game on the PSP at 635k. It's also the best selling game of the franchise by a large margin.

Glad to hear that, as the game is genuinely good, much better than the DS one in my opinion. PS0 seemed to disappear pretty quickly though, so I assume that didnt do too well? Would like to see another PSPo at least, with a lot more new world assets to distance itself from the PSU stigma (also by dropping the super shite single player anime piss), and an integrated lobby area instead of just menus.

Square should make a PSP Kindom Hearts Monster(Heartless) Hunter as well for maximum bankage. The DS one has multiplayer elements while the PSP one simply seems like a straight up KH3. Classes could be something to really have fun with such as native KH tweens, FF mages and SOLDIER rejects with Duckberg inhabitants and Mouseton Horace Horsecollar lookalikes to polish off the Disney end. Oh look I just invented money.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Wonder what the userbase was for comparisons sake. Could be mighty impressive as it seems the PS1 was much more ahead of the PS3 at this point in the life span.
Don't have decent data as far back as PS1's launch, but considering MGS released after the system had been out nearly four years (and about two years since it actually started selling big), it's safe to say the userbase was quite a bit larger. Using Sony's old production/shipment number from about the time of MGS's release would put it in the neighborhood of 13 million.
Neo-Sheperd said:
Wait, there have been home versions before ?
Well, that's the reason the PSP ones specifically have Portable tacked on to their name.
Dreamcast 2.45 million
That's very interesting. Going by the old Famitsu numbers I use as a source, it hadn't yet reached 2 million before they stopped bothering to give numbers the week Xbox launched in February 2002.

Spiegel

Sinobi

[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Bandai Namco) 85k
[NDS] Yugioh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers (Konami) 36k
[WII] Yugioh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers (Konami) 7.7k
[PSP] Disgaea 2 (Nippon Ichi) 35k
[WII] Suzumiya Haruhi no Heiretsu (Sega) 10k

Famitsu 03/23-03/29

1. PSP Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (Bandai Namco) / 85k /
2. NDS Super Robot Taisen K (Bandai Namco)
3. NDS Yugioh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers (Konami) / 36k /
4. PSP Disgaea 2 (Nippon Ichi) / 35k /
5. NDS Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!! (Nintendo)
6. PSP Monster Hunter Portable 2G (Capcom)
7. PS2 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2009 (Konami)
8. PS3 Musou Orochi Z (Koei)
9. NDS Rittai Picross (Nintendo)
10. PS3 Resident Evil 5 (Capcom)

[Nintex]

shykyoichi said:
This is the same as Yugioh 5D: Stardust Accelerator, right?

Awww... it bombed hard. I guess Wii users aren't yugioh players.
It's a Yu Gi Oh racing game I think, it might've had a better chance if it had something to do with cards.

Spiegel

Low sales for Gundam. Gundamstation portable failed this time

[Nintex] said:
It's a Yu Gi Oh racing game I think, it might've had a better chance if it had something to do with cards.

You play cards while racing... or something like that

Spiegel

cw_sasuke said:
80K for a Port is low now ?

The game sold 67k first day.

And Bandai shipped ~167k so I suppose they were expecting more sales.

shykyoichi said:
I'm asking if it's the same as Yugioh 5D: Stardust Accelerator since I have played that game. It follows the latest season of Yugioh (yugioh 5d) where duelist can battle while riding the D-Wheel. That's turbo duels. You can still have normal and tag battles.

It's the same game

[Nintex] said:

I'm asking if it's the same as Yugioh 5D: Stardust Accelerator since I have played that game. It follows the latest season of Yugioh (yugioh 5d) where duelist can battle while riding the D-Wheel. That's turbo duels. You can still have normal and tag battles.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Spiegel said:
The game sold 67k first day.

And Bandai shipped ~167k so I suppose they were expecting more sales.

Nothing new i guess - they expected the DS Dragonball Game to sell 500K lol.

Still handhelds are dominating Japan like crazy. Deserved PSP/DS FTW.

bttb said:
After March 2002 (FY2001 H2), Famitsu stopped tracking hardware sales for Dreamcast, Nintendo 64 and NeoGeo Pocket Color. LTD figures are available through September 2002 (FY2002 H1).
Looking at those DC numbers... whaa? Does it say that in FY2000 it sold a combined ~330K... then in the next half sold 1.2 million... then the following half only 33K?

I notice the DC numbers from that first set look to add up to the about 2.5 million number, while the one at the bottom is short of 2 million, as the ones I linked to on Geimin add up to.

Tideas

Banned
I must say, the PSP software and hardware comeback is astounding. In Japan anyway. Now with each PSP-3000 sold, that's another hardware that consumers will have to buy games for instead of downloading it online.

I wonder when are we gonna see such turn around in Europe and in the US.

Tideas said:
I must say, the PSP software and hardware comeback is astounding. In Japan anyway. Now with each PSP-3000 sold, that's another hardware that consumers will have to buy games for instead of downloading it online.

i cant speak for the usa or continental europe but in the uk the ship has sailed the psp is almost at the point of total collapse, i think the turn around is gonna stay just a japan thing

bttb said:
[...]

http://web.archive.org/web/20040715...summary/2002autumn_domestic/data/jp_hard.html

Hardware Sales by Units (Launch ~ 2002.09.29)
Code:
Hardware            | Maker     | Release    | Total Sales
PlayStation 2       | SCE       | 2000.03.04 |  10,253,561
PlayStation         | SCE       | 1994.12.03 |  18,746,866
GameCube            | Nintendo  | 2001.09.14 |   1,592,976
Xbox                | Microsoft | 2002.02.22 |     278,860
Dreamcast           | Sega      | 1998.11.27 |   1,924,662
Nintendo 64         | Nintendo  | 1996.06.23 |   4,501,578
Game Boy Advance    | Nintendo  | 2001.03.21 |   6,058,389
Game Boy Color      | Nintendo  | 1998.10.21 |   9,236,585
WonderSwan Color    | Bandai    | 2000.12.09 |   1,586,348
SwanCrystal         | Bandai    | 2002.07.12 |      92,281
NeoGeo Pocket Color | SNK       | 1998.10.28 |     259,133
Wow, really nice find, thx bttb!

Code:
	09/30/2002 - end	Total	

PSX	103,578			18,850,444
GBC	23,236			9,259,821

From www.geimin.net

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Tideas said:

With the DSi about to launch, probably not for a while.

Top Bottom