• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 03/30 - 04/05

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
75% of the shipment was sold, will have to see how much it drops next week and the following week to see if it shows legs or not.

Well it was a low shipment to begin with. I really really doubt that it shows any sort of legs, but we'll see.

Dascu

I was hoping for a nice 30k on Oboro, guess not. Hope it has some legs so it could reach 50-60k or so. Marvelous was expecting 56k, no? It could surpass that with some luck.

wrowa

schuelma said:
And Taiko officially becomes the top 3rd party game on the Wii at approximately 497K.
Nope, not yet. Take a look at the MC Top 500.

349. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix) 34,592 / 521,268

Oboros first week performance is slightly better than Fragiles (16k -> 24k and 18k -> 23k), but I doubt that it will reach the 56k mark MMV expected. Oh well...

schuelma

wrowa said:
Nope, not yet. Take a look at the MC Top 500.

349. [WII] Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix) 34,592 / 521,268

Ahem. Check my tag. Does it say I waste hours checking Media Create software?!? ;)

donny2112

schuelma said:
Ahem. Check my tag. Does it say I waste hours checking Media Create software?!? ;)

:lol Awesome.

Edit:
Looking into it, MC and Famitsu were essentially equal for DQS at the end of 2007. Famitsu then added ~5K in 2008 whereas MC added 35K. For DQS, MC > Fam. Last time we had numbers for both on Taiko Wii, Fam > MC by ~20K. Therefore in MC, DQS is probably ~30K > Taiko Wii.

LiquidMetal14 said:
The whole SO4 thing baffles as that game has a good pedigree and I expected numbers to at least match BD.
Going by that it's 730 units lower in much less time. It will beat it. When Blue Dragon was at Star Ocean 4's current age, it was at about 170K.

Note that this image doesn't yet include the new number for SO4, but that its early performance is much better than Blue Dragon's is clear.
Star+Ocean+4

schuelma said:
Not good for Oboro but could have been worse. Outsold Rune Factory Frontier surprisingly.

And Taiko officially becomes the top 3rd party game on the Wii at approximately 497K.
i thought we got numbers the other week showing dragon quest swords at about 520k? If so taiko got another couple of weeks to go

schuelma

frankie_baby said:
i thought we got numbers the other week showing dragon quest swords at about 520k? If so taiko got another couple of weeks to go

media create software numbers are poopy

schuelma

DarkMehm said:
ToV could beat it too. It added another 4-5k through March and is slowly climbing towards 200k.

Yeah its showed relatively impressive off chart growth for a RPG. Might surpass Tos:KoR eventually.

kiruyama said:
if Oboro behaves exactly like Odin Sphere based on first day:ltd and first day:first week ratios, it should end up at about 27k for the week and 42k ltd. Still a ways from 56k, which I believe were the expectations.

If it experiences better off-chart growth based on word of mouth or desire for items such as the art pamphlet, it may reach that goal. Wii games supposedly have longer legs, and Odin Sphere had the 'shortest' legs of the other Vanillaware games i checked the data of (Princes Crown PSP and GG) so that may help it.

seems that even though it's a cross-tracker comparison this method held up fairly well for the MC data. 45k lifetime sounds likely for oboro.

Boulayman

I didn't know that about the M-C numbers. I always thought they were more reliable than Famitsu actually :lol Not by much, but still a tiny bit more ^^

schuelma

Boulayman said:
I didn't know that about the M-C numbers. I always thought they were more reliable than Famitsu actually :lol Not by much, but still a tiny bit more ^^

It's not an issue of reliability.

kiruyama said:
seems that even though it's a cross-tracker comparison this method held up fairly well for the MC data. 45k lifetime sounds likely for oboro.
if it manages to stay alive a couple more weeks it may get a boost from golden week lots of games do and it could do better than that

schuelma

Who cares? Maybe it reaches 40K. Maybr 50K. Nothing has changed. It's still going to need solid U.S sales to be a success.

donny2112

Boulayman said:

Media-Create has more GameCubes sold in Japan than Nintendo shipped. Just wanted to point that out. :p Generally, they're both considered reliable, though.

donny2112

Wasn't the difference something like 200-300K? I wouldn't think the Panasonic Q would cover that spread alone.

Edit:
1.905 million through Sep 1, 2002. According to garaph.info, 2.112 million from 2003 on. That's 4.017 million missing the last four months of 2002. Nintendo shipped 4.02 million to Japan.

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
Wasn't the difference something like 200-300K? I wouldn't think the Panasonic Q would cover that spread alone.

You never know. It just might have considering it launched in December 2001 and was available for many years.

Tenbatsu said:
80000 PSP BASARA
25000 PSP Monster Hunter 2ndGbest
24000 Wii Oboro Muramasa
22000 DS Mario & Luigi RPG3
22000 DS Famista DS 2009
18000 PS2 Power Pro 2009
15000 PSP Gundam
15000 PS2 Arcana Heart 2
13000 PS3 OROCHI Z
12000 Wii Taiko no Tatsujin Wii

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1223527_1796.html

Oboro!:D
No one noticed those numbers don't fit the positions in the famitsu top10?

sinobi numbers:
PSP Basara Dissidia - 88k
WII Oboro Muramasa - 24k

First week comparison from sinobi too:
July 2005: PS2 "Sengoku BASARA" about 86k
July 2006: PS2 "Sengoku BASARA2" Approximately 138k
November 2007: PS2 "Sengoku Gaiden BASARA2 hero" of about 94k
November 2007: Wii "Double Pack Sengoku Gaiden BASARA2 hero" of about 8600
June 2008: PS2 "Sengoku BASARA X" of about 27k
April 2009: PSP "Sengoku BASARA Dissidia" about 88k

Really impressive weekend growth for Basara Dissidia, right between SB1 and SB2-2 now.

September 2005: PSP "Princess Crown" about 12k
April 2007: PS2 "Grim Grimoire" about 15k
May 2007: PS2 "Odin Sphere" about 61k
September 2008: DS "Kumatanchi" of about 3400
April 2009: Wii "Oboro Muramasa" of about 24k

Bit lower weekend growth (%) than Odin Sphere, if it has the same First Week to LTD ratio as Odin Sphere it would do 37.7k LTD.

schuelma

Tenbatsu said:
80000 PSP BASARA
25000 PSP Monster Hunter 2ndGbest
24000 Wii Oboro Muramasa
22000 DS Mario & Luigi RPG3
22000 DS Famista DS 2009
18000 PS2 Power Pro 2009
15000 PSP Gundam
15000 PS2 Arcana Heart 2
13000 PS3 OROCHI Z
12000 Wii Taiko no Tatsujin Wii

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/sokuho/1223527_1796.html

Oboro!:D

Curious, where are those numbers from? Also, the link has Wii Fit at #9 and Taiko is not in the top 10.

donny2112

From the end of 2002 on, Famitsu tracked GCN ~70K lower than MC did. Famitsu stopped tracking GCN at 4.01 million, so the bulk of the MC/Fam difference has to be before 2003. Through Sep 1, 2002, MC had GCN at 1.91 million while Famitsu had GCN at 1.53 million. Therefore the dates where most of the difference occurred would fit the Q theory. I have a hard time believing ~20% of all GCN sales through Sep 1, 2002 in Japan were Panasonic Qs, though. O_O

Edit:
There's also the problem of, if the difference is Panasonic Qs, why did MC track those sales and Famitsu not?

Spiegel

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No one noticed those numbers don't fit the positions in the famitsu top10?

Good catch

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
sinobi numbers:
PSP Basara Dissidia - 88k

Next week, this'll be the 6th 100k+ seller released this year for psp.

DS - 5 (Mario & Luigi RPG 3!!!, FFCC: Echoes of time, Super Robot Taisen K, 7th Dragon, Picross 3d)
PSP - 5 (Idolmaster, Dynasty Warriors: Multi Raid, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2, Mobile Suit Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna)
PS3 - 5 (Street Fighter IV, Demon's Souls, Resident Evil 5, Yakuza 3, Musou Orochi Z)
PS2 - 2 (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009, Pro Evolution Soccer 2009)
360 - 2? (Star Ocean IV, Resident Evil 5?)
Wii - 1 (Mario Tennis GC)

I didn't realize until now that 360 has released more potential 100k+ sellers than Wii this year.

cvxfreak

donny2112 said:
It was discontinued in December 2003. Were shipment numbers ever reported for it?

Not sure, but I had actually seen a brand new Panasonic Q or two in Tokyo as recently as early 2008 in mainstream Japanese shops (Bic Camera, for one). They certainly weren't completely sold out by the beginning of 2004, though admittedly by that time I'm sure they weren't big in number.

The Q might not be able to account for the entire difference between Famitsu and Media Create, but it might bring the difference down enough to make it a sensible difference between trackers just because they're different trackers. Famitsu and MC differ in methodology is fairly obvious ways. For example, Famitsu combines multiple SKUs; MC generally does not.

It's a bit of a stretch to say the Q explains everything, but I've got a decent feeling it would explain why MC went over Nintendo's shipments without reverting back.

I wonder where the Q stands in comparison to the original Xbox myself.

schuelma

gantz85 said:
So today is the 16th April. Finally time to see photos of lines for MHG Wii and FFXIII Demo.. :lol

Wow, Monster Hunter fans must be dedicated indeed to lineup a week early.

Spiegel said:
Best first week for a -non Monster Hunter- Capcom game on psp.

But hey, let's cancel Devil May Cry Portable!

Yeah, Crapcom is stupid, DMC PSP and more importantly RE on PSP would be awesome.

schuelma said:
Wow, Monster Hunter fans must be dedicated indeed to lineup a week early.

:lol

Jonnyram

DSi 40000
DSL 6700
Wii 12900
PS3 16400
PS2 4100
PSP 38900
X360 9600

is what dblog says for hardware this week, but we are never quite sure what his source is. Software wise is a really slow week, with stuff in the low 30s and 40s selling less than 3k.

http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
DSi 40000
DSL 6700
Wii 12900
PS3 16400
PS2 4100
PSP 38900
X360 9600

is what dblog says for hardware this week, but we are never quite sure what his source is. Software wise is a really slow week, with stuff in the low 30s and 40s selling less than 3k.

Wow. Why does 360 keep going up?

schuelma

velvet_nitemare said:
Those Wii numbers look back. Thought it had bottomed out at 16K

Need confirmation, tho.

Everything is down, except for some odd reason the 360.

Jonnyram said:
DSi 40000
DSL 6700
Wii 12900
PS3 16400
PS2 4100
PSP 38900
X360 9600

My God. It's like all the consoles keep fading away but the 360. Earlier I was concerned about the Wii but now I've realized that it isn't just the Wii that is falling into the abyss.

Anyway as for game numbers, Oboro didn't do too shabby. Lower then I expected but not too bad. Going by the rule of thumb estimation of Japanese sales it should end up a little less then 56k, then again Wii games have been shown to have legs in Japan. And wow at the legs for Taiko's Drum Game!

donny2112

gtj1092 said:
So what is the new ETA for things going back to so called "normal"

There was an old ETA? If you mean PS3 leveling out to whatever it'll level out to, probably mid-May.

schuelma said:
Everything is down, except for some odd reason the 360.

It's the questionable early MC numbers. Don't get into a frizzy about them. Just wait for the early Famitsu numbers to be posted.

Top Bottom