• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/15 - 10/21 2007

Lobster

Banned
capslock said:
Alright Ninty fans, if ports don't sell on the Wii you blame lazy developers, if mini-games don't sell you blame developers for trying to compete with Nintendo, now it seems that original games don't sell either. Maybe it's time to face the facts that the Wii audience just doesn't buy non-Nintendo games...or games for that matter.

And the Ps3 audience doesn't buy anything at all except for FIFA and Madden.

sakuragi

Banned
capslock said:
Alright Ninty fans, if ports don't sell on the Wii you blame lazy developers, if mini-games don't sell you blame developers for trying to compete with Nintendo, now it seems that original games don't sell either. Maybe it's time to face the facts that the Wii audience just doesn't buy non-Nintendo games...or games for that matter.

Yup, most of the Wii audience bought the system for Wii sports and Wii play which are essentially mini games or "non games" as some call it so its not surprising that REAL games don't sell on the Wii :lol .

Furoba

Zack & Wiki doesn't have as many coverage as Mario Galaxy in Japan. I've seen shops that dedicated two whole shelves to that game, while Zack & Wiki only has one demo station.

I did buy Z&W though. :D

PkunkFury

sakuragi said:
Yup, most of the Wii audience bought the system for Wii sports and Wii play which are essentially mini games or "non games" as some call it so its not surprising that REAL games don't sell on the Wii :lol .

and what consoles are selling games in japan?

it's not so funny when you stop and look at the big picture...

jarrod

Banned
capslock said:
I am not saying that, but you have to admit that third party games bombing have been the rule rather than the exception on the Wii.
It's been the rule rather than the exception on virtually all platforms honestly. For the Japanese these days it's either Nintendo, Square Enix or bust. :lol

sakuragi

Banned
PkunkFury said:
and what consoles are selling games in japan?

it's not so funny when you stop and look at the big picture...

The PS2 has been a good home for conventional games since 7 years till this day. Although when you stop and think about it, innovative and unique games that are not labeled with the Nintendo sticker tends to bomb mysteriously like Okami, Ico and Shadow of the colossus even with the huge PS2's userbase so its really sad actually. I hope Capcom will port Zack and WIKI to the PS2 if it didn't do to well in the states and Europe too since this game deserves the sales more than those movie based games trash. BTW I was just teasing the Wii fans :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Lobster said:
People seem not to realise its like having the arcade version in your home!

Except it's not. The experience at home is vastly different, unless you invest a lot of money in it. People who bought DDR for consoles has since then moved on...years ago. And I think Konami got a little too aggressive with their song pack milking. Let's just consider it a fad and be done with it. :p

Parl

Seems like everyone is saving their pennies for SMG and/or Wii fit. Either that or they've already pre-orded.

Uh oh, those are some really worrying first day sales. WE DS is bomba am total. Same applies for EoJ and Z&W. I'm kinda confused that everyone is acting suprised about Z&W numbers though. Pretty much everyone agreed beforehand that Z&W would bomb hard despite supposedly being a good game (hello Okami).

EoJ is a phenomenal disappointment though, for me it was one of the few PS3 titles which I thought had at least a slim chance to do decently in Japan. And this shortly after the price cut without any other big releases on home consoles. Maybe the art is too western?

Ghost Squad may have low numbers but it's a quick arcade port.

Furoba said:
Zack & Wiki doesn't have as many coverage as Mario Galaxy in Japan. I've seen shops that dedicated two whole shelves to that game, while Zack & Wiki only has one demo station.

I did buy Z&W though. :D
Good man.

sakuragi said:
The PS2 has been a good home for conventional games since 7 years till this day. Although when you stop and think about it, innovative and unique games that are not labeled with the Nintendo sticker tends to bomb mysteriously like Okami, Ico and Shadow of the colossus even with the huge PS2's userbase so its really sad actually. I hope Capcom will port Zack and WIKI to the PS2 if it didn't do to well in the states and Europe too since this game deserves the sales more than those movie based games trash. BTW I was just teasing the Wii fans :lol
That wouldn't work though since it relies heavily on the controller. Plus it wouldn't sell on PS2 as well. A shame, really.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Parl said:
Nah, it's 2. But 25% of the Pikmin get stuck to the duct tape.
*imagines millions of instances of the whimper sound effect that is used when a pikmin dies in either of the Pikmin games being played all within the span of 1 second*

:(

Parl

GaimeGuy said:
*imagines millions of instances of the whimper sound effect that is used when a pikmin dies in either of the Pikmin games being played all within the span of 1 second*

:(

See, Wii would be more powerful if Nintendo wasn't so cheap and didn't use a last-gen tape.

ethelred

Treasure Island Z is a bomb. Doesn't matter if people expected it to bomb, doesn't matter if people point out supposedly mitigating reasons behind its bombing, doesn't matter if people want to point their fingers at a PS3 game to divert attention away from its bombing (yes, Eye of Judgement is a bomb too; so what?). It bombed. Pure and simple.

Frillen said:
Well the Wii has three third-party Million sellers, so it's not THAT bad. At least it's better than the PS3 which has zero.

Shipped, not sold. And this is a thread about Japanese sales. No third party Wii game has done that in Japan.

cw_sasuke said:
maybe it`s because 99% of those 3rd party wii efforts suck ? i mean zakl n wiki is a new ip, without much marketing budget - u just can`t expect that everyone wants to play that kind of game since most ppl won`t even know that it`s exist...

You are one of the worst, and yet at the same time most aggressive, fanboy spinners here. One would think that if you were to so completely dedicate your forum time to this sad endeavor, you'd at least try to be good at it. :/

sakuragi said:
I hope Capcom will port Zack and WIKI to the PS2 if it didn't do to well in the states and Europe too since this game deserves the sales more than those movie based games trash.

I can't even begin to imagine how this game could be ported to the PS2.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ethelred said:
Shipped, not sold. And this is a thread about Japanese sales. No third party Wii game has done that in Japan.

I can't speak authoritatively, but Red Steel and Rayman were both around 850-900k sold (Rayman being higher) when Ubi announced the million mark. Still irrelevant to Japanese sales (both bombed in Japan!) and this thread, but it's VERY likely that they've passed the million sellthrough mark.

ethelred said:

Didn't Dragona rule earlier that it's okay to use MC threads for general sales discussion or somesuch?

ethelred

Pureauthor said:
Didn't Dragona rule earlier that it's okay to use MC threads for general sales discussion or somesuch?

Sure, if people want to look as desperate and degenerate in their spinning as Monorojo that they cannot adequately respond to any point made about the Japanese market without resorting to worldwide figures.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
ethelred said:
You are one of the worst, and yet at the same time most aggressive, fanboy spinners here. One would think that if you were to so completely dedicate your forum time to this sad endeavor, you'd at least try to be good at it. :/

most 3rd party wii game suck - it`s that simple..
and english isn`t my native language so i just can`t express myself that good...

but yor`re right i`m a big nintendo fan.... :)

Jokeropia

The discrepancies between Famitsu and Media-Create are a bit disheartening for the accuracy of both, but at least they had the systems going in generally the same direction this week.
rakka said:
you forget that they influence the mario games
:lol

botticus

ethelred said:
Treasure Island Z is a bomb. Doesn't matter if people expected it to bomb, doesn't matter if people point out supposedly mitigating reasons behind its bombing, doesn't matter if people want to point their fingers at a PS3 game to divert attention away from its bombing (yes, Eye of Judgement is a bomb too; so what?). It bombed. Pure and simple.
So... we can't discuss why a game bombs, we can only state the fact and move on? Clearly no one is denying the fact that it bombed.

It'd be nice if it gets some sort of positive word of mouth, but we'll see how the first week numbers look.

Jokeropia

ethelred said:
Sure, if people want to look as desperate and degenerate in their spinning as Monorojo that they cannot adequately respond to any point made about the Japanese market without resorting to worldwide figures.
To be fair, it wasn't clear if sakuragi was referring to Japan or worldwide sales in his post, which might be why Frillen responded as if it was worldwide.

Regardless, Joshua made a chart a while ago showing that Wii has the advantage over PS3 in this aspect in Japan as well.

ethelred

botticus said:
So... we can't discuss why a game bombs, we can only state the fact and move on?

There's a fine line between offering an explanation and offering an excuse. Guess which side most of the respondants here would fall on?

botticus said:
Clearly no one is denying the fact that it bombed.

Actually...

Jokeropia said:
Regardless, Joshua made a chart a while ago showing that Wii has the advantage over PS3 in this aspect in Japan as well.

Well, duh. The PS3 is even more of a dismal failure.

Do we really need to discuss why ZnW bombed? I could've given you the laundry list of reasons why it would tank saleswise the day after it was announced.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
perfectchaos007 said:
Famitsu wrong yet again. They thought it was going up 13k and it only went up 4k.

Put up or shut up; statistically, why is Media Create / Enterbrain more accurate than Famitsu in your opinion?

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Do we really need to discuss why ZnW bombed? I could've given you the laundry list of reasons why it would tank saleswise the day after it was announced.
And they were iirc. Time to pin hopes on the west... but I'm honestly sort of expecting UGG round 2 here also. :/

Defuser

Why don't we wait till next week's MC till when the sales maybe pick up for ZnW?
I try not to judge first day sales.

Zack and Wiki was always a niche title but these numbers are surprisingly low aren't they? It's a unique effort with lots of merit and there is no way that it can be done on any other platform and on top of that, it's offered at a low price. Even without marketing, I would expect more people to pick up the title. I was thinking it would hit 30,000 in Japan but that seems impossible now. It's such a shame since it has the best and most clever puzzles of any video game I've played in a very very long time. I hope North America and Europe can deliver Capcom the sales it deserves.

This a great example of what Nintendo should be doing. If Nintendo is serious about having successful third party efforts, they need to do marketing for these kinds of games. It's been working splendidly for Microsoft.

ethelred

Rancid Mildew said:
Zack and Wiki was always a niche title but these numbers are surprisingly low aren't they? It's a unique effort with lots of merit and there is no way that it can be done on any other platform and on top of that, it's offered at a low price. Even without marketing, I would expect more people to pick up the title. I was thinking it would hit 30,000 in Japan but that seems impossible now. It's such a shame since it has the best and most clever puzzles of any video game I've played in a very very long time. I hope North America and Europe can deliver Capcom the sales it deserves.

This a great example of what Nintendo should be doing. If Nintendo is serious about having successful third party efforts, they need to do marketing for these kinds of games. It's been working splendidly for Microsoft.

Yep. One of the first original, truly high quality third party efforts -- Nintendo really should be helping to promote these games heavily to help ensure some of these third parties see the success they deserve to and, consequently, stick around for more.

God Z&W was a major bomb, this does not bode well for third party on the Wii. Granted it was a new IP, but this is one of the few quality third party efforts on the Wii. Comeon Ghost squad beat it. I don't know what went wrong but I'm quite certain this isn't going to go unnoticed by third party.

perfectchaos007 said:
Because Cheesemeister says so. Or else he would post famitsu
asfjas;dfasd
The biggest reason we primarily use Media Create is that we get its (non-through-the-grapevine) numbers a full week before the Famitsu equivalent.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JoshuaJSlone said:
asfjas;dfasd
The biggest reason we primarily use Media Create is that we get its (non-through-the-grapevine) numbers a full week before the Famitsu equivalent.

I wish someone would go back and do a Famitsu vs. Media Create vs. Dengeki thread like cvxfreak did a few years ago, where he listed dozens and dozens of pieces of software, and showed who had the highest/lowest/middle. That was a great idea.

Stumpokapow said:
I wish someone would go back and do a Famitsu vs. Media Create vs. Dengeki thread like cvxfreak did a few years ago, where he listed dozens and dozens of pieces of software, and showed who had the highest/lowest/middle. That was a great idea.

That wouldn't be a bad idea to do something like this anually

Lobster

Banned
Defuser said:
Is Capcom actually expecting ZnW to sell like hotcakes?I hope they're aren't making the same mistake as Konami.

No. Some guy from the Capcom forums said the game hasn't sold insignificantly though it could be better. He also mentioned that Wal-Mart has the majority of the shipment.

ethelred said:
Yep. One of the first original, truly high quality third party efforts -- Nintendo really should be helping to promote these games heavily to help ensure some of these third parties see the success they deserve to and, consequently, stick around for more.

That's the part that worries me the most.

I can't be certain since I'm not privy to the inner workings of the big third party developers but I'd imagine that Zack and Wiki is the first litmus test (and the only one on the horizon?) that they would use to decide whether or not they should green light original projects for the Wii. I suppose games like Crystal Bearers and Umbrella Chronicles will still sell tremendously well but that's only because they carry the Final Fantasy and Resident Evil name. I can't imagine how a Square or Capcom executive could endorse an original product for the Wii if games like Zack and Wiki bomb.

If the Wii stays a cesspool of cheap cash ins and spin offs with once in a blue moon 1st party genius, the only one to blame is Nintendo. They should definitely take notice of what's been happening in the west. Original efforts like Gears of War did not become phenomenal hits without any assistance. Of course, Nintendo probably just doesn't care since they are rolling in cash with virtually no help from third parties.

Vinnk

Lobster said:
I know but DDR is a very popular series..its weird that it bombs on consoles so bad..People seem not to realise its like having the arcade version in your home! And you won't spend as much on it as you will on the DDR arcade machines.

DDR hasn't been popular in Jpan for a long time. The last time I anyone cared about DDR here was about 2001. In the 4 years I have been living here I saw a grand total of 3 DDR machines and the people walking by them were waxing nostalgic about them, not actualy playing. You can see more DDR machines in American malls than in Japanese Arcades. That fad has passed.

Same with the home versions. They are now marketed more towards other countries than Japan itself. Still, that number is hella low.

botticus

Lobster said:
No. Some guy from the Capcom forums said the game hasn't sold insignificantly though it could be better. He also mentioned that Wal-Mart has the majority of the shipment.
So even if it were to sell well in the US, it'll be underreported on NPD? Sure they estimate Walmart, but from anecdotal evidence it seems they have a pretty disproportionate amount of the supply, at least for this first week. We'll see if that Svensson guy was accurate as far as more stores getting their stock by today/tomorrow.

Top Bottom