• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

I'LL SUPPORT YOU CAPCOM! I'LL BUY ZACK & WIKI!

Also, I might buy Ghost Squad.

How's FFTA2's sales compared to FFTA and The Lion War?

ethelred

09. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (Tecmo) - 17,000 / 98,000

I'm still really fucking impressed with the sales on this game. I said on its first week that if Tecmo nurtured this one properly, they could have a really prime new franchise -- but there was always the risk that its numbers would plumet after the first week. They haven't. The game's now at 100k, which, when compared to the kind of numbers Tecmo typically gets, is really impressive.

02. [PS2] Ar Tonelico 2 (Banpresto) - 72,000 / NEW

Likewise for this game. Gust finally actually managed to create a successful series aside from Atelier. This is a big improvement on the first game, too (though I really think this one will plumet next week).

01. [NDS] Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Square-Enix) - 142,000 / NEW

Very poor performance.

A Link to the Snitch said:
We don't need a New SMB sequel right away. It's definitely not going to stay out of the top 30 during the Holidays, if it falls out at all.

People that play games instead of sales recognize that we do, in fact, need New! Super Mario Bros. 2 pretty damned soon.

rakka

how did ghost squad top 10, let alone even chart? :lol

Mr. Pointy said:
How's FFTA2's sales compared to FFTA and The Lion War?
did worse than both.

FFTA opening week 225k
FFT:TLW 170k

ethelred said:
People that play games instead of sales recognize that we do, in fact, need New! Super Mario Bros. 2 pretty damned soon.

If it's not better than New SMB (or is based on SMB2), then I can live without it.

I want them to wait until Galaxy is done so they can make it Galaxy-great, not New SMB disappointing.

ethelred

A Link to the Snitch said:
If it's not better than New SMB (or is based on SMB2), then I can live without it.

I want them to wait until Galaxy is done so they can make it Galaxy-great, not New SMB disappointing.

Oh, just go away and play your stupid horribly lame animu non-games some more.

PkunkFury

Lightning said:
Yep

Virtually all it's sales must have been 1st day sales, Bladestorm 360 never charted either and Beautiful Katamari already gone.

that's disappointing :( I hope that doesn't say anything about interest in they Eyetoy in general. I realise card games are niche, but at the same time I figured there'd be a dedicated community that'd pick the game up somewhere. Japan does play a number of CCGs

Segata Sanshiro said:
That Eye of Judgment would bomb in at least Japan was only slightly more self-evident a truth than Zack & Wiki selling like shit.

I honestly think it has much more potential to sell than Z&W. Z&W is a weird, unmarketed kiddie game in a dead genre. EoJ at least has a certain wow factor to it. I imagined the game would get some sort of push from Sony

Olaeh

Zack and Wiki is the most fun 3rd party game I've played on the Wii, it makes me sad to see it so low on the charts :(

PkunkFury said:
that's disappointing :( I hope that doesn't say anything about interest in they Eyetoy in general. I realise card games are niche, but at the same time I figured there'd be a dedicated community that'd pick the game up somewhere. Japan does play a number of CCGs
Well, as you say, it's a niche genre to begin with, and the fact that it involves both being inside one's domicile near the PS3 and having to lay out cards means it might not have been well-targeted for the Japanese market. Plus, I haven't seen the cards, but my understanding is that WotC used their local artists, which means the cards have Western art on them. Too many strikes.

ethelred said:
Okay, ground rules, kids: no mention of Crisis Core
I uhhh, was going to mention it's no longer in the top 30. Last week had four PSP games in the top 30, so I guess this is a bit of a return to normalcy.
PkunkFury said:
did Eye of Judgement not even chart?!
Yeah, pretty cool, no? PS3 first party software is almost selling as well as Wii third party software. </ethelred>

PkunkFury

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, as you say, it's a niche genre to begin with, and the fact that it involves both being inside one's domicile near the PS3 and having to lay out cards means it might not have been well-targeted for the Japanese market. Plus, I haven't seen the cards, but my understanding is that WotC used their local artists, which means the cards have Western art on them. Too many strikes.

good points. I expect it will do a lot better in NA. In fact I think Z&W will do better here as well. It seems Japan really is just not to interested in console gaming these days

PkunkFury said:
good points. I expect it will do a lot better in NA. In fact I think Z&W will do better here as well. It seems Japan really is just not to interested in console gaming these days
I expect Eye of Judgment to perform strongest in NA, but I'm pretty sure Zack and Wiki are going to bomb as hard if not harder here.

Oh well. No sense crying when you make a mistake, you just keep on trying til you run out of cake.

Olaeh

BishopLamont said:
29. [WII] Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Capcom)
My heart weeps. :(

I feel like I should have supported the dev more by pre-ordering or something... US sales will likely be bomba as well :(

Joe Molotov

Capcom: "I'll use Zack & Wiki on the Videogame Market!"

Media Create: "You should have used Advertising on Videogame Market first, then Zack & Wiki. 1000/40000 SalesQ."

fresquito

rakka said:
:lol Z&W

tactics on psp did 170,000 first week.
ffta1 did 225,000 first week (i think, not sure)
Don't see the funny part :(

Anyway, glad Ghost Squad made the top10. It's a pretty fun game.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
142k for FFTA2? It sold 100k its first day. That's a pretty big drop for the next 2 days. At least there wasn't a price collapse though.

Lightning

Banned
Capcom on Zack & Wiki

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=21585

Our guys in Japan had a HUGE marketing push for this title. It's only just come on the market there too so I'm not so sure how you're passing judgements so quickly.

As for us, let me make a few things clear:

We can't force a retail buyer to take it (though we got it on the shelf in pretty much every major retailer).
We can't make a retail buyer expedite freight so it's on shelf the day after shipment everywhere like Gamestop typically does (which is why Wal-mart and Best Buy only started getting it on shelf on Thursday/Friday).

So for those of you who only shop at Gamestop, either pre-order or look elsewhere to find copies. There were very few pre-orders at Gamestop on Z&W (especially relative to what we're seeing on the first couple of days sales). If you want to see more units on the shelf day one in that particular retailer, then pre-order. Gamestop bases their day one number as some multiple of its preorders. Period.

A number of retailers we pushed to take more units than they did but they have their own thoughts about the game and the market and make their shelf allocations accordingly. Our day one number was a decent number by any measure, owing a lot to the reviews and PR work that we've done. We are not out of stock anywhere except for possible spot out of stocks at Gamestop (probably rectified already as they took their backup order after the first day of sales).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
hahaha, "Huge push"?

I have not seen one single advertisment for Treasure Hunter Z. Not one.

Vinnk

Smiles and Cries said:
any site has photos of today's launch for Mario? are we getting a Vinnk's Village report?

Today I am sick in bed with a high fever. Which really, really, REALLY sucks. My copy of Super Mario Galaxy is waiting at Famicon Dojo right now and I can't get to it. :(

Looove the Capcom buck-passing.

Blaming the retailers only works if we follow that back to its logical home point. Retailers won't order heavy on a game they think won't sell. Who's in charge of making them confident about a game being able to sell? Oh yeah.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Lightning said:
Capcom on Zack & Wiki

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?t=21585

Our guys in Japan had a HUGE marketing push for this title. It's only just come on the market there too so I'm not so sure how you're passing judgements so quickly.

As for us, let me make a few things clear:

We can't force a retail buyer to take it (though we got it on the shelf in pretty much every major retailer).
We can't make a retail buyer expedite freight so it's on shelf the day after shipment everywhere like Gamestop typically does (which is why Wal-mart and Best Buy only started getting it on shelf on Thursday/Friday).

So for those of you who only shop at Gamestop, either pre-order or look elsewhere to find copies. There were very few pre-orders at Gamestop on Z&W (especially relative to what we're seeing on the first couple of days sales). If you want to see more units on the shelf day one in that particular retailer, then pre-order. Gamestop bases their day one number as some multiple of its preorders. Period.

A number of retailers we pushed to take more units than they did but they have their own thoughts about the game and the market and make their shelf allocations accordingly. Our day one number was a decent number by any measure, owing a lot to the reviews and PR work that we've done. We are not out of stock anywhere except for possible spot out of stocks at Gamestop (probably rectified already as they took their backup order after the first day of sales).

First gamecock wants everybody to pre-order, and now Capcom. I blame Anihawk for putting his store's preorder numbers up on GAF.

But really. I think the whole pre-order thing is overrated. Whatever happened to people browsing and being entranced by the pretty cover art?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
GreenGlowingGoo said:
First gamecock wants everybody to pre-order, and now Capcom. I blame Anihawk for putting his store's preorder numbers up on GAF.

But really. I think the whole pre-order thing is overrated. Whatever happened to people browsing and being entranced by the pretty cover art?

Preordering is helpful for market research. Preordering lets the publisher know people want the game.

ccbfan

Concept17 said:
"08. [PS2] God of War II (Capcom) - 17,000 / NEW"

Japan hates great games confirmed.

This

29. [WII] Zak & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure (Capcom)

etches it in stone

and when Wii Fit outsells SMG by 3 time, it'll be fossilized.

ethelred

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the numbers Square Enix is pulling in on the DS. Pretty much all their games over the last six months (Heroes of Mana, Ring of Fates, Wonderful World, and now FFT A2) have been raking in very disappointing totals. I wonder how this will start to impact future support.

The DQ stuff's still doing fine, but the Square games...

Bebpo

Banned
It's weird how Capcom can pitch GTA to Japanese gamers, but they can't pitch GoWII even though good action games still sell decently over there (200k-400k).

ethelred said:
I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the numbers Square Enix is pulling in on the DS. Pretty much all their games over the last six months (Heroes of Mana, Ring of Fates, Wonderful World, and now FFT A2) have been raking in very disappointing totals. I wonder how this will start to impact future support.

The DQ stuff's still doing fine, but the Square games...

Maybe S-E fans can't afford buying a game a month from them.

Re-quoted and bolded for great justice. If you want a game day one, especially a game that you know is going to have a hard time selling, fucking preorder it.

You can't blame gamestop for thinking no one is interested if no one ever asks the guy standing behind the counter if they can put money down on the game. If they placed their store orders on blind faith (or god forbid, internet hype) they'd have thousands of copies of unwanted games crowding their shelves.

Pre-ordering is a good faith investment, it tells gamestop that hey, maybe if they can sell 5 copies day one, they should order 10 just in case.

Top Bottom