• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Lightning

Banned
I hope and pray that Japan continue not to buy these remakes/spin offs from Square. The more Japan buy these remakes the more Square will keep making them. Japan need to stop buying in order for S-E to wake up and make something new and fresh.

If the remake/spinoff is not FFVII or FFXIII I am not interested in it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Lightning said:
I hope and pray that Japan continue not to buy these remakes/spin offs from Square. The more Japan buy these remakes the more Square will keep making them. Japan need to stop buying in order for S-E to wake up and make something new and fresh.

YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Narag

Lightning said:

It's ok, if they don't put out IV/VI remakes I'm not interested either. With our powers combined, etc.

Hcoregamer00

Narag said:
It's ok, if they don't put out IV/VI remakes I'm not interested either. With our powers combined, etc.

Yes, as long as they don't make sequels or remake FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVII, and FFIX then we shouldn't support them, right?

Geez, WE ARE THE PROBLEM because we make exceptions to <insert favorite final fantasy>

Narag

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, as long as they don't make sequels or remake FFIV, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVII, and FFIX then we are all okay.

Geez, WE ARE THE PROBLEM because we make exceptions to <insert favorite final fantasy>

Pretty much!

TJ Spyke

medrew said:
Seaman went from 1 to 21. Has there even been such a drop-off?

It's not like it would have dropped much. Yes it was #1 last week, but last week was a really low week.

What is that DS Literature game? Is it basically just a eBook? I'm actually wondering why something like that hasn't been done. I would be willing to buy a copy if it had books I liked.

Lobster

Banned
Oblivion said:
Is that FF Tactics number good?

Compared to first week numbers? No. By the time it hits the LTD, they will look better though. It will have longer legs then the PSP game.

apujanata

sakuragi said:
WOW FFTA2 didn't do to well on the DS considering the user base. It should have been on the PSP considering how well Crisis core did. DS ruining 3rd party franchises confirmed?

The bolded part made me put him on my ignore list.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Lobster said:
Compared to first week numbers? No. By the time it hits the LTD, they will look better though. It will have longer legs then the PSP game.

Oh, this is the second week? I didn't realize that.

Anyone got total FF Tactics Ltd comparisons?

RBH

sakuragi said:
WOW FFTA2 didn't do to well on the DS considering the user base. It should have been on the PSP considering how well Crisis core did. DS ruining 3rd party franchises confirmed?

picard.jpg

Defuser

sakuragi said:
Considering all the marketing did for Crisis Core. I'll say no and it's most likely Yoichi Wada fault for brand whoring.

Hcoregamer00

apujanata said:
The bolded part made me put him on my ignore list.

Then you clearly have not read his other posts if this was "bad" enough to put on an ignore list.

He said stuff way worse than this, and he was being completely serious.

Defuser said:
Considering all the marketing did for Crisis Core. I'll say no and it's most likely Yoichi Wada fault for brand whoring.

Stop feeding the trolls, your angst and anger makes him stronger.

Jonnyram

ethelred said:
I'm not part of any collective (the impressions thread has been positive, actually), and I haven't played FFT A2 yet. But what I said stands: if I had to choose between the two, it wouldn't be FFT A2 that would get my money. That's the problem with pushing too many Final Fantasy games in such a short span of time.
I'm honestly surprised you would rather give your money to a port of an old game than a new game, especially since the new game has been getting good impressions. Or did you never play FFT when it came out originally?

TJ Spyke said:
What is that DS Literature game? Is it basically just a eBook? I'm actually wondering why something like that hasn't been done. I would be willing to buy a copy if it had books I liked.

It's a collection of 100 famous works of Japanese literature that you read like a book holding the system sideways, flipping pages with the stylus. Book rankings and additional books can be downloaded for free via wi-fi.

tetrisgrammaton said:
FFTA sold about the same as War of the Lions

how much is a tactical game expected to sell in japan?

Actually, it sold 20% less to a much larger customer base, and it's a completely new game as opposed to a decade-old port with some new cutscenes and minor additions.

Either there's only 300,000 Japanese people interested in tactical RPGs regardless of platform, or there's some other reason Tactics Advance isn't leveraging its advantages. It's no failure, but it's almost certainly going to undershoot Square-Enix's expectations. It cost more (wasn't the remake outsourced to Tose?) and will make less than War of the Lions.

ivysaur12

Banned
Liabe Brave said:
Actually, it sold 20% less to a much larger customer base, and it's a completely new game as opposed to a decade-old port with some new cutscenes and minor additions.

Either there's only 300,000 Japanese people interested in tactical RPGs regardless of platform, or there's some other reason Tactics Advance isn't leveraging its advantages. It's no failure, but it's almost certainly going to undershoot Square-Enix's expectations. It cost more (wasn't the remake outsourced to Tose?) and will make less than War of the Lions.

Don't count it out until a few more weeks. It could have longer legs than we think.

And didn't RoF do about 400k? I wouldn't consider that a bomb...

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I wish that graphic novel for the Ps3 would come to the states. If more niche titles like that were made for the Ps3, I would probably bite.

ethelred

Oblivion said:
Is that FF Tactics number good?

It's okay. Not bad, not great. If the game follows normal sales patterns, then it'll perform decently over its lifetime, albeit a bit under the GBA original.

Jonnyram said:
I'm honestly surprised you would rather give your money to a port of an old game than a new game, especially since the new game has been getting good impressions. Or did you never play FFT when it came out originally?

I played FFT as soon as it came out originally. It's one of my very favorite games. FFTA... wasn't. I'm hoping to enjoy the second game more than the first, and the positive impressions are a nice sign. If I had to choose one, though, I'd rather go for a port of one of my absolute favorite Final Fantasies versus a sequel to a game I found disappointing and not hugely enjoyable.

But I don't have to choose one; I got one, and I'll be getting the other. I'm just making the point that even for hardcore fans like me, there's some fatigue here, and I'm sure there are a lot of people that can't buy every single Final Fantasy spinoff and when you're releasing 12 of them a year, it's going to start dragging down the franchise.

Vinnk

apujanata said:
Maybe you can ask your soon-to-be-wife (a.k.a. fiancee) to pick them up for you ? I know that usually I got cured from sickness as soon as I get my hands on a game I like a lot (at least it apply to Zelda and Fire Emblem). Actually, for FE, even though I got better, I still stay at home (didn't go to work) and play the game :D

Sadly she is done with work today after the store closes. But yeah, I agree with the healing powers of great games.

sphinx

the piano man
here's what I think.

Capcom (Z&W) just went in the same direction konami(elebits) went when the Wii launched: good software with totally misleading presentation.

If it wasn't for the fact that I visit forums and do my research, I could easily take " Zack and wiki " for some kind of " Tak and lok and the juju challenge" clone. who the fuck would want a clone of licensed shovelware for kids? How can someone figure out that the game is awesome if it's presented like some kind of cartoon for kids 6 to 8 years old?

Zack and wiki as concept was a terrible idea from the very beginning. It's sad to see good software flop but Capcom should have known better.

Umbrella chronicles on the other hand will be a smash hit, I can already feel it. There are nearly 1 million people around the world that bought RE4:Wii edition, they WILL buy RE:UC.

Eteric Rice

sphinx said:
here's what I think.

Capcom (Z&W) just went in the same direction konami(elebits) went when the Wii launched: good software with totally misleading presentation.

If it wasn't for the fact that I visit forums and do my research, I could easily take " Zack and wiki " for some kind of " Tak and lok and the juju challenge" clone. who the fuck would want a clone of licensed shovelware for kids? How can someone figure out that the game is awesome if it's presented like some kind of cartoon for kids 6 to 8 years old?

Zack and wiki as concept was a terrible idea from the very beginning. It's sad to see good software flop but Capcom should have known better.

Umbrella chronicles on the other hand will be a smash hit, I can already feel it. There are nearly 1 million people around the world that bought RE4:Wii edition, they WILL buy RE:UC.

I'm not. It looks pretty shitty.

sphinx

the piano man
Eteric Rice said:
I'm not. It looks pretty shitty.

people are uninformed, most don't know how anything looks or plays, they buy stuff they see while visiting friends or asking around.

Many wii owners do know RE4 is relevant, important and good and RE:UC has the words "resident evil" in its name. It will sell, more so to the casuals that will want to try it with the Zapper.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
sphinx said:
here's what I think.

I think a game would fare a lot better over the shovelware stuff if it turns out to be a solid game for true gamers. However, I think the presentation is problematic. I think of it like Viva Pinata where the presentation clashes with the potential fanbase. People get the wrong idea about the title and don't buy it. I mean in some ways the presentation has to sell what kind of game it is, and I don't think the game does that at all. Capcom isn't doing it many favors either in how they're handling the release. Personally, I would've liked some Secret of Monkey Island feel to the game.

ivysaur12 said:
Don't count it out until a few more weeks. It could have longer legs than we think.

Oh, it's a DS game, it'll automatically have longer legs than a PSP game. Just as a function of that wondrous install base, if nothing else. So perhaps it won't make less than War of the Lions in the end. But it certainly cost more to make, so the investment was less good for Square-Enix. Not "bad", mind, just less good.

ivysaur12 said:
And didn't RoF do about 400k? I wouldn't consider that a bomb...

About 370K if I recall correctly. But that's not a tactical RPG; my point was about this particular game, not newer S-E games in general (though there's definitely food for discussion there). And while the overall performance on Ring of Fates was decent, it was almost certainly more expensive to make still, and again if I remember right the front-loading for it was greater than usual.

Hcoregamer00

AlternativeUlster said:
I wish that graphic novel for the Ps3 would come to the states. If more niche titles like that were made for the Ps3, I would probably bite.

The PS2 had a lot of quality visual novels that never made it to the USA; Air, Higurashi, Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien, Raimuiro Senkitan (wait a minute, this isn't quality), and much much more.

If the PS2 had a strong lineup of visual novels that never made it to the USA, there is no way in freaking hell that the PS3 will improve upon that. The highest selling visual novel we ever had is the Phoenix Wright series, and that is because it is a visual novel with adventure aspects.

I'm pretty much in full agreement with all the reasonable people here. FF brand fatigue is setting in; not terminal yet, but Square needs to start thinking about changing their strategy now; FF4 is going to be less affected than a spinoff-y game but it's also a good barometer to watch.

I'm not sure Square can even get back to the point they were at during the sfam/psx years. That many new IPs and experimental titles requires a bench strength that they just don't have. Can anyone in this thread even name a current S-E game director that isn't Kitase, Kawazu, Nomura, or Toriyama? They'd have to make a concerted effort to create agile development teams with young people -- unproven directors with new ideas -- in charge of them, something I really don't see happening in the near (or even far) future.

ivysaur12

Banned
charlequin said:
I'm pretty much in full agreement with all the reasonable people here. FF brand fatigue is setting in; not terminal yet, but Square needs to start thinking about changing their strategy now; FF4 is going to be less affected than a spinoff-y game but it's also a good barometer to watch.

I'm not sure Square can even get back to the point they were at during the sfam/psx years. That many new IPs and experimental titles requires a bench strength that they just don't have. Can anyone in this thread even name a current S-E game director that isn't Kitase, Kawazu, Nomura, or Toriyama? They'd have to make a concerted effort to create agile development teams with young people -- unproven directors with new ideas -- in charge of them, something I really don't see happening in the near (or even far) future.

Yeah, pretty much spot on.

Joe Molotov

Vinnk said:
Today I am sick in bed with a high fever. Which really, really, REALLY sucks. My copy of Super Mario Galaxy is waiting at Famicon Dojo right now and I can't get to it. :(

You should have ordered it from GameCube Hut. I hear they do home deliveries.

Neo C.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Blaming the retailers only works if we follow that back to its logical home point. Retailers won't order heavy on a game they think won't sell. Who's in charge of making them confident about a game being able to sell? Oh yeah.
Gamers?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
charlequin said:

well they have tri-Ace and... I dont know who else.

at least IU and Last Remnant are new IPs. seems like brand fatigue is setting in yeah I agree. waiting for a new FF was an awesome event way back then, now we get one every month.

edit: game arts? whatever happened to them after Grandia III

Top Bottom