• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

WTF is this?
th_imabiki.jpg

Crocodile

ethelred said:
Oh, just go away and play your stupid horribly lame animu non-games some more.

Ok maybe I'm going to regret asking this but here goes: Is there a reason you've been a bit of an ass lately? I don't mean to be rude or anything and I often agree with what you have to say man but it seems lately that you go out of your way to be confrontational and harsh with your words. Like here you insult someone you disagree with in a non-joking manner without provocation (he didn't insult you first). Maybe I've just been misreading some of your more recent posts or something but that's the general vibe I've sensed. I apologize for any misunderstanding.

On topic, those are some rather low numbers for FFTA2. Bad taste leftover from FFTA? (Just throwing out an idea, not arguing for it) Also Z&W mega bombs as expected :(.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ethelred said:
I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the numbers Square Enix is pulling in on the DS. Pretty much all their games over the last six months (Heroes of Mana, Ring of Fates, Wonderful World, and now FFT A2) have been raking in very disappointing totals. I wonder how this will start to impact future support.

The DQ stuff's still doing fine, but the Square games...

That tends to happen when you shovel games and release games once a month.

Instead of doing what they did a long time ago and release games with more space between 'em, because people aren't made of money.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
sp0rsk said:
Preordering is helpful for market research. Preordering lets the publisher know people want the game.

It is, but 1: It requires the person to already know about the game, and 2: care enough to go to a store and pre-order. It completely eliminates word of mouth and hurts niche titles. Also it hurts the possibility for new entry into a genre or IP.

It'd be nice if Game publishers had an overstock arrangement with retailers, in which games that don't sell can be returned for full credit after a period of time. It'd take away some of the risk they have and make lesser known games be more available.

Jonnyram

ethelred said:
I'm starting to get a bit concerned about the numbers Square Enix is pulling in on the DS. Pretty much all their games over the last six months (Heroes of Mana, Ring of Fates, Wonderful World, and now FFT A2) have been raking in very disappointing totals. I wonder how this will start to impact future support.

The DQ stuff's still doing fine, but the Square games...
It has a lot to do with the volume of output and timing of release. When you look at the sterling line up of releases this holiday, a lot of the gamers out there already have their allotment of "must buy games" filled up with stuff like DQ4, FF4 and Mario. It's going to be a really fierce holiday season, claiming a lot of unexpected victims, I think.

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
Not this one, apparently.

Man, sales are low. It's like, the Wii not only didn't save console gaming in Japan, it dragged the DS down with it.

It would be terribly ironic if the Wii was the console that caused the first great gaming crash in Japan.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bebpo said:
Japan stopped liking rpgs?

RPG's are not the big sellers they once were.

I also think people are getting tired of a new Final Fantasy brand game coming out every 2 months.

Eteric Rice

sp0rsk said:
RPG's are not the big sellers they once were.

I also think people are getting tired of a new Final Fantasy brand game coming out every 2 months.

Hell, they might be getting tired of Final Fantasy in general.

Before it was like a treat you got every few years. Now you have FF:Tactics, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Final Fantasy: Remakes, Final Fantasy VII spinoffs, etc.

I'd be sick of it too.

sp0rsk said:

I've felt this way for a long time. Let's continue to shun more and more games that simply have the FF brand name slapped on it for no sensible reason. Then maybe we can get something new or see neglected franchises revisited.

Jonnyram

sp0rsk said:
But look at it another way. It sold 10x more than it would if it were called Square Original SRPG #3.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jonnyram said:
But look at it another way. It sold 10x more than it would if it were called Square Original SRPG #3.

Yeahhhh, this is true. Still, this is down from what it was.

ethelred

If I had to choose between FFT and FFT A2 in the span of a few months, I sure know which one I'd pick. And it isn't the game that came out this week.

Jonnyram said:

Not necessarily. Square used to pull in great numbers with their non-FF SRPGs. If they created a good one in-house (instead of outsourcing it to a shitty dev), seriously pushed it, tried some different stuff... well, it may have bombed, or they may have gotten a new hit.

Or they can keep calling everything FF and seeing diminishing returns with each new spinoff until people are so burned out that it starts to harm the main series itself and FF begins to massively decline in support.

Eteric Rice said:
I already have the first one for the Playstation.

I'd rather rebuy the one on the PSX than FFT A2.

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:
If I had to choose between FFT and FFT A2 in the span of a few months, I sure know which one I'd pick. And it isn't the game that came out this week.

I already have the first one for the Playstation.

Jonnyram

ethelred said:
So, I take it the GAF collective has taken an almighty dump on FFTA2 already then? I still haven't opened my game, but I'll get to it this weekend when Revenant Wings is done.

Deku

Banned
ethelred said:
If Japan becomes apathetic toward RPGs, then Square has an even bigger problem.

They do, that's why they're saturating the market with titles. They can't rely on a few big franchises to bring in the sales anymore, it's also why I'm skeptical about their future on consoles. FFXIII may never make its money back.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hcoregamer00 said:
That tends to happen when you shovel games and release games once a month.

Instead of doing what they did a long time ago and release games with more space between 'em, because people aren't made of money.
Well that, and perhaps the branding, quality, and genre had something to do with it. HoM was a RTS with AI problems, Crystal Chronicles is a tarnished brand as is FFTA due to the shortcomings of prior installment for them both. DQIV/FFIV should be fine, but S-E needs to think about where they're going with tCB. Actually ethelred left out Front Mission, but that's the S-E game I'm most disappointed with performance wise since I don't see what S-E could've done to help it perform better, I guess JP fans just don't want FM anymore (not that I expect it to do better here :( ).

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
So, I take it the GAF collective has taken an almighty dump on FFTA2 already then? I still haven't opened my game, but I'll get to it this weekend when Revenant Wings is done.

I'm not part of any collective (the impressions thread has been positive, actually), and I haven't played FFT A2 yet. But what I said stands: if I had to choose between the two, it wouldn't be FFT A2 that would get my money. That's the problem with pushing too many Final Fantasy games in such a short span of time.

jj984jj said:
Well that, and perhaps the branding, quality, and genre had something to do with it. HoM was a RTS with AI problems, Crystal Chronicles is a tarnished brand as is FFTA due to the shortcomings of prior installment for them both.

One can always come up with reasons why something is pulling in a disappointing performance, but that doesn't mitigate that it has performed disappointingly. And it's still been, regardless of the reasons why, a yearlong string of poor performances that certainly have to be concerning Square.

jj984jj said:
Actually ethelred left out Front Mission, but that's the S-E game I'm most disappointed with performance wise since I don't see what S-E could've done to help it perform better, I guess JP fans just don't want FM anymore (not that I expect it to do better here :( ).

I just didn't count that one because it's a port of a port of a port of a ten year old game.

Jonnyram said:
I dunno Jonny, the impressions I've heard are mostly positive so far, particularly if you did enjoy the first one.

Eteric Rice

Deku said:
They do, that's why they're saturating the market with titles. They can't rely on a few big franchises to bring in the sales anymore, it's also why I'm skeptical about their future on consoles. FFXIII may never make its money back.

Probably wont.

Square-Enix needs to start making new franchises, fast.

And not franchises that have girly man main characters, or character that have giant shorts.

They need to do something new and charming.

Hcoregamer00

Eteric Rice said:
Hell, they might be getting tired of Final Fantasy in general.

Before it was like a treat you got every few years. Now you have FF:Tactics, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon, Final Fantasy: Remakes, Final Fantasy VII spinoffs, etc.

I'd be sick of it too.

Hell, you know what?

I am one of the biggest SE fans out there and I am SICK of Final Fantasy fever ALREADY. Releasing a semisequel/prequel or a remake takes the magic out of the game.

A game can only be magical the first few times you play it, after playing the nth remake the magic is bound to wane. Especially since they don't follow the Disney strategy and do remakes and re-releases in what is arguably a reasonable time scale.

Part of what made the damn franchise so special was that you could experience it 3 times a generation, AT MOST.

Deku

Banned
I'd prefer they make fewer games, I don't have time to play them all, but they can't survive with just a few Final Fantasy games given how fractured they've turned their fanbase, they have to make one for the emo kids, the western audience, one for their old school fanbase etc etc. That's their strategy now.

Only dq has some semblance of unity behind the launch of IX and new re-makes for the DS. The spinoffs are of very high quality and reasonably spaced.

xaosslug

ethelred said:
Okay, ground rules, kids: no mention of Crisis Core, and no mention of the idiotic notion that the PS3 is going to surge past the Wii. Let's keep it clean this week!

at least, not until hardware comes in! hurhurhur ;P

Spike

Vinnk said:
Today I am sick in bed with a high fever. Which really, really, REALLY sucks. My copy of Super Mario Galaxy is waiting at Famicon Dojo right now and I can't get to it. :(

What kind of excuse is that?!?! Nothing should keep you from Mario!

All kidding aside, hope you feel better.

ccbfan

I think people finally realized the difference between a true fantasy game and one with just the name thrown in to make it sell better.

I'd like to see how FF4 DS performs before it can be decided if Final Fantasies are dying in japan. Especially since all these other ff games are nothing more than crappy spawn of mana/ogre/rts ideas shoved into the final fantasy universe.

rakka

ccbfan said:
I'd like to see how FF4 DS performs before it can be decided if Final Fantasies are dying in japan. Especially since all these other ff games are nothing more than crappy spawn of mana/ogre/rts ideas shoved into the final fantasy universe.
i don't know... we may need to wait even longer than that, as FF4's still a remake :p

I agree with what's been said about the FF brand being diluted. Typically, if you're not mega-hardcore, a good SE game will take you months to master and finish properly. By that I mean level up/customise/explore every nook and cranny.

If you're an FF fan and the games are coming out too fast for you to keep up, you'll just stop caring after a while.

Still, it's a shame about FFTA2. I'm looking forward to the English localisation.

Say, can anyone tell me if FFTA2 allows touchscreen control for menus, unit movements and suchlike? If it doesn't, that's an automatic failure on the part of SE.

sakuragi

Banned
WOW FFTA2 didn't do to well on the DS considering the user base. It should have been on the PSP considering how well Crisis core did. DS ruining 3rd party franchises confirmed?

Deku

Banned
sakuragi said:
WOW FFTA2 didn't do to well on the DS considering the user base. It should have been on the PSP considering how well Crisis core did. DS ruining 3rd party franchises confirmed?

:lol Did you miss Ethel's post, and yea CC is gone from the list. What does it mean? Stay tuned.

Hcoregamer00

sakuragi said:

It had to happen :lol

Remember children, don't feed the trolls.

rakka

sakuragi said:
last time i checked, ffta2 wasn't a ff7 spinoff.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ethelred said:
One can always come up with reasons why something is pulling in a disappointing performance, but that doesn't mitigate that it has performed disappointingly. And it's still been, regardless of the reasons why, a yearlong string of poor performances that certainly have to be concerning Square.
They'll probably be watching how DQIV/FFIV/SO:FD perform quite closely.

I just didn't count that one because it's a port of a port of a port of a ten year old game.
Still, it's a about as much of an upgrade over the PS version as FFT PSP.

perfectchaos007 said:
NiGHTS and SMG next week? Competing for #1 and #2 perhaps?
Not NiGHTS, Opoona.

apujanata

Vinnk said:
Today I am sick in bed with a high fever. Which really, really, REALLY sucks. My copy of Super Mario Galaxy is waiting at Famicon Dojo right now and I can't get to it. :(

Maybe you can ask your soon-to-be-wife (a.k.a. fiancee) to pick them up for you ? I know that usually I got cured from sickness as soon as I get my hands on a game I like a lot (at least it apply to Zelda and Fire Emblem). Actually, for FE, even though I got better, I still stay at home (didn't go to work) and play the game :D

Top Bottom