• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Dec (Nintendo shows MC its Pokemans)

Regarding Zelda's absence: I'd be surprised if Zelda's current sales / attach ratio aren't more-or-less in line with what Nintendo expected. This is, I believe, the first time that the franchise has been the "premiere" (for some) launch title for a Nintendo console. Previously, it's had the benefit of much larger install bases before being released. As it's been said, a 50% attach at launch is pretty ****ing good for any title, and if Nintendo was really looking for more than that given the rest of the Wii's launch lineup and their current business philosophy, well... that'd be schizophrenic of them, in a sense.

Plus, let's be real here... you can't put Zelda up against that blitz of Pokemon titles in Japan and expect it to win out ;).

goompapa

OnWarmerMusic said:
Regarding Zelda's absence: I'd be surprised if Zelda's current sales / attach ratio aren't more-or-less in line with what Nintendo expected. This is, I believe, the first time that the franchise has been the "premiere" (for some) launch title for a Nintendo console. Previously, it's had the benefit of much larger install bases before being released. As it's been said, a 50% attach at launch is pretty ****ing good for any title, and if Nintendo was really looking for more than that given the rest of the Wii's launch lineup and their current business philosophy, well... that'd be schizophrenic of them, in a sense.

Plus, let's be real here... you can't put Zelda up against that blitz of Pokemon titles in Japan and expect it to win out ;).

It's not 50%, someone made that up and the rest took it as gospel. Try 30%. For a big lanch title, 30% is pretty much disastrous.
Nintendo surely was looking for more. Zelda is supposed to be the title that should sell Wii's. Why do you think they don't release the GC version there. But i don't think they mind that Wiisport is doing Zelda's job.

Private Hoffman said:
Don't contradict me and leave a void like that. If they're not minigames, what are they?
In my view a minigame would be a small game which operated independently from any external context. The "microgames" in WarioWare should more closely associated with different enemies in Super Mario Brothers or phrases in Guitar Hero.

goompapa said:
It's not 50%, someone made that up and the rest took it as gospel. Try 30%. For a big lanch title, 30% is pretty much disastrous.
Nintendo surely was looking for more. Zelda is supposed to be the title that should sell Wii's. Why do you think they don't release the GC version there. But i don't think they mind that Wiisport is doing Zelda's job.

30% of what installed base is considered disastrous? 30% of 1 million? 30% of 5 million? 30% of 25 million? How many games sell 30% of the entire platform fanbase?

The success of Nintendo non-games dwarf the success of REGULAR games by third parties except Square Enix.

So now, not only do third parties have to contend with Nintendo's franchises like Pokemon, Mario, Kirby etc. for good sales on the handheld (since multiple companies have stated Nintendo is the biggest competition on the same system) but now they have to contend with a new dearth of "non-games" for lack of better terms by Nintendo.

This could, should, and would influence 3rd parties to wwant to try and make their own "non-games" as well to try and catch onto the success of the DS if not for one thing:

3rd party non-games aren't nearly as threatening to sales as Nintendo's are.

Nintendo's "OTHER" games sell in the upper-tier of sales: around 700k and up.
Third-party "OTHER" games with the exception of Tamagotchi and (I think it's a non-game) Love and Berry Collection, sell for about 100k - 200k, just in line with 3rd parties real games that sell.

I still think it's worrisome that normal BOOM franchises or games that should be sure hits in Japan are doing poorly (The BOOM amount of 300k for old times sake) on the DS. The DS is the fastest selling system since God knows when with what, almost 14 million userbase?

No matter what the quality of the game would be, a Tales of game should have no problem selling 300k, just like Final Fantasy easily sold it.

No matter what the quality of the game would be, a Winning Eleven game ON THE DS should have no problem selling, I won't even say 300k, but TWO HUNDRED FREAKING KAY but it cannot and that's worrisome.

No matter what the quality of the game, you woudl think at least 300k of those 14 million DS owners were starving for an RPG other than FF and Pokemon... yet they refuse to pick up titles like Magical Starsign,

This is probably not the problem, but I'm going to introduce this scenario to play devil's advocate, because I slightly agree with kisaki even though he trolls. Say Japan has a group of casual/hardcore gamers that enjoy the DS and enjoy titles like Tales/Winning/RPGs, but these group of "non-games" came out and they got swept up into the hype to purchase a few of them (Kanji Quiz DS: 239k, Common Knowledge Training: 500k). They enjoy them, but they tire quickly and they go back to buying regular games (Mario BBall 3vs3: 348k, Harvest Moon: 219k, Tales of Tempest: 130k, WE: 113k), but all their friends talk about and all Japan talks about are the non-games. Not wanting to feel left out, the semi-casual/real gamer continues to buy non-games and may be slightly hesitant to purchase a REAL Game.... no-one cares for it and no-one has it to enjoy it with him AND these REAL games aren't turning out to be as fun as he thought (Magical Starsign, Mario BBall, Harvest Moon feels the same, TotT is bad, WE is ugly graphiX).

So now he purchases non-games a little more often than games.... and so do others... so now we have non-games selling more than regular ones, and the companies don't feel as strongly in putting their REAL games as fast on the DS as they would a non-game. Thus, complaining and worrying starts on GAF.

But that's just a scenario

no, no guys!

kisaki is right. if something makes more money than something else, it's complete business sense to just make more of the type of thing that made more money.

that's why the only music you can buy is pop songs sung by 20 year old blondes, and the only films are hollywood summer blockbusters.

no wait... i think there's a flaw in my logic somewhere.

gamergirly said:
30% of what installed base is considered disastrous? 30% of 1 million? 30% of 5 million? 30% of 25 million? How many games sell 30% of the entire platform fanbase?

But this is a Nintendo franchise. The best one they've developed in a long time. One that looks to have the perfect graphical style to accompany Japan.... and yet it hasn't sold even 250k in 3 weeks.

Console Zeldas at LEAST did over 500k in Japan, but the best one yet seems like it won't reach that mark :(

All because of those stupid non-games... nah, Zelda was never TOO big in Japan but it's really sad that a game this good in Nintendo's franchise can't get the recognition it deserves

Wait do you guys think Zelda would have done any better if Wii sports was packed in and Wii Play wasn't out yet?

goompapa said:

Was it 30%? My mistake then, thanks for the correction.

In any case, if Nintendo wanted Zelda to be *the* title to sell the Wii in Japan, then they've pretty much been lying to everyone about this "expanding the market" business philosophy, because I don't see how Zelda does anything to that end. In the States, sure, Zelda was a huge driver for them. But in Japan, I believe they were looking to Sports & Play to do that job.

As for the lack of a GC port outside of NA... I have a feeling they tossed us that bone just to keep people from complaining. I don't think that a GC Zelda release in Japan would've cost them more than a nominal number of hardware sales.

Busaiku

goompapa said:
Uhh no, Nintendo clearly wanted a title like Wii Sports to be the success that it has become. Otherwise they would be advertising The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess a lot more than Wii Sports, which certainly hasn't been the case. If The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess did outsell Wii Sports, sure Nintendo would probably have been more happy. But in no way are they dissapointed that Wii Sports is outselling The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

goompapa

gamergirly said:

At launch, every big title is supposed to sell to the entire userbase. MarioWorld did it, Mario64 did it, heck even LuigiMansion did it. Zelda did it too...in the USA and europe.
Zelda sold less than 50% of its shipment figure, not good for any title.

I bet Aunouma and his team are very disappointed. Nintendo, however, didn't mind as long as the wiisports and wiiplays keep on selling.

LanceStern said:
But this is a Nintendo franchise. The best one they've developed in a long time. One that looks to have the perfect graphical style to accompany Japan.... and yet it hasn't sold even 250k in 3 weeks.

Console Zeldas at LEAST did over 500k in Japan, but the best one yet seems like it won't reach that mark :(

All because of those stupid non-games... nah, Zelda was never TOO big in Japan but it's really sad that a game this good in Nintendo's franchise can't get the recognition it deserves

Wait do you guys think Zelda would have done any better if Wii sports was packed in and Wii Play wasn't out yet?

Zelda's "success" depends on what country you're talking about. Japan having Zelda numbers like America would be considered "phenomenal". America having Zelda numbers like Japan WOULD be considered "disastrous". It's almost like expecting Halo 3 to sell in Japan like America. It's NOT realistic, despite the hype, and NOT expected so "disastrous" wouldnt quite be the word to define Halo 3 sales in Japan, no?

kisakiproject said:
Yup Pokemon is the same thing as FF, DQ, Xeno, Tales, Breath of Fire, Suikoden, Shadow Hearts etc. Oh wait its not.

And FF isn't the same things as DQ which isn't the same thing as Xenosaga which isn't the same thing as the 'Tales of' series which isn't the same thing as the BoF series which isn't the same thing as the Suikoden series which isn't the same thing as the Shadow Hearts series which isn't the same thing as the Pokemon series.

Your point?

plagiarize said:
no, no guys!

kisaki is right. if something makes more money than something else, it's complete business sense to just make more of the type of thing that made more money.

that's why the only music you can buy is pop songs sung by 20 year old blondes, and the only films are hollywood summer blockbusters.

no wait... i think there's a flaw in my logic somewhere.

There's no need for sarcasm. We have no problem with this money-making crap, but unit wise, it can be a little discouraging when your quality REAL game sells 100k (making a profit) and some no-name, non-game titles sells 400-500k.

Just see dumb-as-nails-when-predicting-sales Capcom who gets angry at every bad unit sales there is. And when they got upset that RE got outsodl by kingdom Hearts. They are both good games, both sold well and made a profit, but one got outsold by the other. REAL game beat REAL game.

Just think how they feel that a compilation of minigames and read-and-touch games are outselling their titles.

LanceStern said:
Just think how they feel that a compilation of minigames and read-and-touch games are outselling their titles.
If your point is that every software company envy Nintendo dominant position as the biggest japanese software company...that goes without saying! Its been very long this way...

Pureauthor said:
And FF isn't the same things as DQ which isn't the same thing as Xenosaga which isn't the same thing as the 'Tales of' series which isn't the same thing as the BoF series which isn't the same thing as the Suikoden series which isn't the same thing as the Shadow Hearts series which isn't the same thing as the Pokemon series.

Your point?

They are all very similar. More so than Pokemone is to any of these titles. Saying pokemon is a JRPG is like saying Panzer Dragoon is a FPS cause it has shooting in it.

Masklinn said:
I mean, look at that top 10, there are only, like, 6 games which I don't see how you could call "non games" out of the 7 DS games!

Clearly, there are only "non games" on the DS.

Thats why I said this week was exception.

But I guess nintendo fanboys have selective reading. Also I love how I say things like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and NSMB aren't none games but all the nintendo fanboys are acting like I said they were.

GAMES SELL WELL ON DS TOO NOBODY IS DISAGREEING THERE.

goompapa said:
At launch, every big title is supposed to sell to the entire userbase. MarioWorld did it, Mario64 did it, heck even LuigiMansion did it. Zelda did it too...in the USA and europe.
Zelda sold less than 50% of its shipment figure, not good for any title.

I think that's where we differ. In Japan, I'm betting Nintendo sees Wii Sports / Play as the Wii's Mario 64, or Luigi's Mansion, if you will. Those are the big Nintendo launch titles. One doesn't have to agree with the idea from a business standpoint, but I think it's fairly clear that it's what they were going for.

gamergirly said:
Zelda's "success" depends on what country you're talking about. Japan having Zelda numbers like America would be considered "phenomenal". America having Zelda numbers like Japan WOULD be considered "disastrous". It's almost like expecting Halo 3 to sell in Japan like America. It's NOT realistic, despite the hype, and NOT expected so "disastrous" wouldnt quite be the word to define Halo 3 sales in Japan, no?

True true. Yet Zelda console titles still managed to sell decently even in their opening weeks on consoles.

You don't consider it disastrous that the (arguably) best Zelda game ever sold less than 30,000 it's 3rd week of sales? And it's not like it's opening weeks were gigantic to lead to that huge dropoff (i.e. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy console games), but Zelda even started small at 140k, then went down to about 60k, and now is less than 30k.

If that isn't worrying when at the same time Wii Sports and Wii Play are kicking it's butt, then you must not have the same sort of success expectation as I (dare I say we) do for a Zelda title in Japan.

Sure it's not as successful in Japan as it wa sthe US, but that's no excuse for the disgusting sales. It's at least been DECENT in Japan

kisakiproject said:
They are all very similar. More so than Pokemone is to any of these titles. Saying pokemon is a JRPG is like saying Panzer Dragoon is a FPS cause it has shooting in it.

Okay. Back up. Spell out for me exactly what you consider makes a jRPG.

LanceStern said:
There's no need for sarcasm. We have no problem with this money-making crap, but unit wise, it can be a little discouraging when your quality REAL game sells 100k (making a profit) and some no-name, non-game titles sells 400-500k.

Just see dumb-as-nails-when-predicting-sales Capcom who gets angry at every bad unit sales there is. And when they got upset that RE got outsodl by kingdom Hearts. They are both good games, both sold well and made a profit, but one got outsold by the other. REAL game beat REAL game.

The point should be made that these titles are engineered to be mass market friendly. Keep in mind that an all access title like Brain Training will naturally pull more units than TotT sheerly by its mass-market appeal. Simply put, "Non-games" as you call them don't fit as easily into niches as Final fantasy and even Mario Bros. do.

The measure of success for a mass market game is how many people it can reach. Early Mario and Sonic Titles were heralded for ease of use. Hell, many people still play Pac-Man or the archaic as hell Pong because it is simple to understand and get into.

LanceStern said:

okay, two things. firstly i don't buy into the 'real' game thing at all. secondly i stand by my sarcasm.

i'm sure people are upset about these sales, but that doesn't extrapolate to either 'non games being to blame' or 'we'll only get non games from now on'. do you really think nintendo are upset that wii sports is selling more than zelda? do you have any idea if capcom buy into the non game thing either?

were people in hollywood pissed when the tiny budget blair witch project stomped their asses at the cinema? maybe. did it stop them making the kind of films they'd always made? not one bit.

OnWarmerMusic said:
I think that's where we differ. In Japan, I'm betting Nintendo sees Wii Sports / Play as the Wii's Mario 64, or Luigi's Mansion, if you will. Those are the big Nintendo launch titles. One doesn't have to agree with the idea from a business standpoint, but I think it's fairly clear that it's what they were going for.

How do you think Shigeru Miyamoto feels that his baby, his great game, got thwomped by Wii Sports and Wii Play?

He was jealous of Donkey Kong country
He was jealous of Banjo Kazooie
He didn't like the direction his baby metroid was taking for the GCN so he put it as a 1st person shooter...

Now his best game in a while is getting beaten and more press is going to a pack of... of.... you can't describe them. Worse yet, Eiji's first time as lead director for a Zelda title and it gets trounced in sales despite the good reviews.

LanceStern said:
True true. Yet Zelda console titles still managed to sell decently even in their opening weeks on consoles.

You don't consider it disastrous that the (arguably) best Zelda game ever sold less than 30,000 it's 3rd week of sales? And it's not like it's opening weeks were gigantic to lead to that huge dropoff (i.e. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy console games), but Zelda even started small at 140k, then went down to about 60k, and now is less than 30k.

If that isn't worrying when at the same time Wii Sports and Wii Play are kicking it's butt, then you must not have the same sort of success expectation as I (dare I say we) do for a Zelda title in Japan.

Sure it's not as successful in Japan as it wa sthe US, but that's no excuse for the disgusting sales. It's at least been DECENT in Japan

It couldve sold more, of course, but Zelda sales overall with previous consoles have paled in comparison in terms of the # of users versus the # of Zelda sales for each installment. Personally, while you might have wanted Zelda to sell more than any other title in Japan, I think it's healthy that other titles have outsold it. It shows that gamers are more interested in just the "classic" Nintendo franchises. Which will result in a longer longevity for the Wii system. I dont want Gamecube 2. Nintendo wont ever recover from that.

Why else is the DS so successful? It wasnt Mario that lifted the handheld from a sure death by PSP......

Pureauthor said:
Okay. Back up. Spell out for me exactly what you consider makes a jRPG.

Kay. It doesn't have to just be made by japanese people which seems to be the your perspective. A JRPG is defind by its cliches. IMO

It has anime inspire or simialr graphics. You have to save the world. It usually turned based. It has multiable playable characters. Lots of monsters. Some epic music. Etc. see all the games I mentioned.

Pokemon doesn't really have this. Like I said before Pokemon is on the border line IMO. Its kindoff of a JRPG but kindofff not. Also when considering a genre I tend to think about its fanbase. The games I mentioned tend to sell to the same crowd. Whereas pokemon sells to a different group of people. Not to say that there arent plenty of people that don't buy both. But they in general sell to different people.

I'd like to say that "nongames" are taking "real games's" sales for 3rd parties in Japan, but considering that they have sold less than 300k even on the GBA, it can't be made.

I'll be content to say that non-games take the sales from established franchises in Japan. With the only exception (always) being Nintendo and SquareEnix, which the non-games have seemed to benefit them

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
kisakiproject said:

Thats why I said this week was exception.

But I guess nintendo fanboys have selective reading. Also I love how I say things like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and NSMB aren't none games but all the nintendo fanboys are acting like I said they were.

GAMES SELL WELL ON DS TOO NOBODY IS DISAGREEING THERE.

It's a RPG made by a Japanese company. Why are you having a problem understanding this?

Now that you've lost hope for the 360 in Japan, i guess you felt the need to unleash your stupidity on us.

kisakiproject said:
It has anime inspire or simialr graphics. You have to save the world. It usually turned based. It has multiable playable characters. Lots of monsters. Some epic music. Etc. see all the games I mentioned.

Ah. Let's see. No saving the world... and no epic music.

Pokemon is 2/3's a jRPG, then.

BTW, with your logic, DQ1 isn't a jRPG. Think about that.

Busaiku

kisakiproject said:
Kay. It doesn't have to just be made by japanese people which seems to be the your perspective. A JRPG is defind by its cliches. IMO

:lol
I'm sorry, but I just found this "definition" hilarious and very unreasonable.

kisakiproject said:

Pokemon doesn't really have this. Like I said before Pokemon is on the border line IMO. Its kindoff of a JRPG but kindofff not. Also when considering a genre I tend to think about its fanbase. The games I mentioned tend to sell to the same crowd. Whereas pokemon sells to a different group of people. Not to say that there arent plenty of people that don't buy both. But they in general sell to different people.

That was a good definition, and you defended that very well I might say

duderon said:
It's a RPG made by a Japanese company. Why are you having a problem understanding this?

Now that you've lost hope for the 360 in Japan, i guess you felt the need to unleash your stupidity on us.

Wow if I don't agree with Nintendo nutcases I must be a M$ fanboy. OH wait I camped out for Wii and din't for 360.....

Why do you find it unreasonable Buikaru?

Suikoden
Tales
Final Fantasy
Baten Kitos
Magna Cart
Dragon Quest
Freath of Fire
magical Starsign
etc.

Group of people
Japanese style look
Save the world/somebody
Usually turned based
Minigames and sidequests abound

Pokemon differes from them. Don't laugh. It was a reasonable definition

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
kisakiproject said:
Wow if I don't agree with Nintendo nutcases I must be a M$ fanboy. OH wait I camped out for Wii and din't for 360.....

Woah, thanks for clearing that up for me, there's no way you're biased towards Microsoft.

LanceStern said:
How do you think Shigeru Miyamoto feels that his baby, his great game, got thwomped by Wii Sports and Wii Play?

He didn't like the direction his baby metroid was taking for the GCN so he put it as a 1st person shooter...

Now his best game in a while is getting beaten and more press is going to a pack of... of.... you can't describe them. Worse yet, Eiji's first time as lead director for a Zelda title and it gets trounced in sales despite the good reviews.

I have a feeling that Miyamoto would have been much more disappointed if his company's entire business model was cannibalized / proven irrelevant by his own title. I would hope he's thinking a little more long-term than that.

And I'm sure Eiji would have loved for TP to sell at 1:1, but it's not like he's going to sob in a corner and stop making Zelda titles. If Wii Sports succeeds in the way Nintendo wants it too, then it'll just mean a bigger install base for his, and Miyamoto's, next game.

Pureauthor said:
Ah. Let's see. No saving the world... and no epic music.

Pokemon is 2/3's a jRPG, then.

BTW, with your logic, DQ1 isn't a jRPG. Think about that.

Early works in genres tend not to be the same as what the genre grows into. That applies to anything. Early horror filsm are different form modern one. Early rock music is different from current rock music. Things change, early games build the framework but often don't fit into the mold they grow into. The original FF and DQ are so different from the modern ones its hard to believe they were even made by the same people.

Pureauthor said:
Like I said, using your definition, DQ1 isn't a jRPG. How is that reasonable?

What part of "exceptions" don't people understand? Not everything is going to fit but if the majority does, it's reasonable.

LanceStern said:
What part of "exceptions" don't people understand? Not everything is going to fit but if the majority does, it's reasonable.

Brilliant. And the only thing that doesn't fit is the fact that you don't save the world. (Questionable in R/S/E). There we go, Pokemon's a jRPG! Yay! Confetti in the streets!

LanceStern said:

except wii sports and wii play aren't second party... and it's just one market. it's never seemed to bother him that zelda and metroid aren't as big in japan as they are in america.

disapointing japanese sales is surely metered by such things as 'highest attach rate ever' in america.

OnWarmerMusic said:
I have a feeling that Miyamoto would have been much more disappointed if his company's entire business model was cannibalized / proven irrelevant by his own title. I would hope he's thinking a little more long-term than that.

And I'm sure Eiji would have loved for TP to sell at 1:1, but it's not like he's going to sob in a corner and stop making Zelda titles. If Wii Sports succeeds in the way Nintendo wants it too, then it'll just mean a bigger install base for his, and Miyamoto's, next game.

But here's my issue: Why couldn't TP and Wii Sports/Play sell more equally?

When Wii Sports and Wii Play were around 250k last week, Zelda was around 180k or 200k. That's decent

But now, Wii Sports/Play are still selling > 60k and Zelda is being left in the dust. Now where Wii sports is at 300k and Play at 270k, Zelda is starting to eat their dust.

There should be soem equalization, some balance. It doesn't have to crush the titles... but cant it share with them?

New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing and Brain Age 2 show you how it should be. Mario on top, AC and Brain Age closely behind. Games and nongames working together for a better future of gaming. No discrimination and bias.

Top Bottom