• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create sales 11/20-11/26

mre said:
DQ9 has been announced for PS3?
I'm waiting for them to announce it as a title for the Wii.

newpost.jpg

(we need a version of this image with the NeoGAF logo in it)

And yes Japan's market WAS pathetic before the DS. Didn't it use to be the top #1 sellers would be < 40,000 for a week?

You'd get a year banning for even predicting that nowadays.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
LanceStern said:
If you subtract Nintendo franchises and Square Enix franchises from there, then yes I'd be very scared. hell, throw out the Tales titles as well.

I'll do better! Subtract them all! OH NO! Japan has had no successful games EVER!

LanceStern said:
If you subtract Nintendo franchises and Square Enix franchises from there, then yes I'd be very scared. hell, throw out the Tales titles as well.

If you're not talking profitability, and only "success in your eyes," than why should anyone be scared? Why do you parade around your figures as if anyone else should give a shit?

GreenGlowingGoo said:
I'll do better! Subtract them all! OH NO! Japan has had no successful games EVER!

:lol :lol

ethelred

LanceStern said:

So no game other than Nintendo, Tales, and Square Enix games are successful? Companies are just staying afloat through the power of pixy dust and their new games are appearing as if by magic?

GreenGlowingGoo said:

Considering Nintendo/Squarenix and Tales titles are about the only things that can break that mark, then yea Japan has had a pretty bad market and yet still thrives.

Nowadays, that ***** is BIG O_O.

sphinx

the piano man
ThirdEye said:
:lol Did N64 have FF13 and MGS4?

N64 had the best game in existence, according to gamerankings (Oot) and a killer launch title called Super Mario 64.

That didn't help the system attract the casuals, It was all die-hard nintendo fans.

Why will anybody outside of the die-hard playstation fanbase buy a PS3?

Are MGS4 and FF13 for the masses?

PS3 will need the massive and varied developer support from the PS2 to keep the crown, not a couple of games that appeal to very specific public.

let's see if this happens.

Branduil

LanceStern said:
Considering Nintendo/Squarenix and Tales titles are about the only things that can break that mark, then yea Japan has had a pretty bad market and yet still thrives.

aaaaaa5pr.jpg

ethelred said:
So no game other than Nintendo, Tales, and Square Enix games are successful? Companies are just staying afloat through the power of pixy dust and their new games are appearing as if by magic?

Once again... success =/= profit. They can stay afloat by profit, but with ugly-arse numbers.

And Admiral, I'm not parading anything. As a matter of fact, I believe I was congratulating the DS with a humorous poke at my own standards, and a few people blew some gaskets, not much unlike my moms car >_>

bluemax said:
How much do MGS games sell anyhow? Are these 3 million unit franchses?

In Japan, it's around a 1.3-800k unit franchise. PSP brought it down to ~300k, but that's another story.

In the US, it's sporadic. PS2 has it at 1.5-2.5 million franchise. GCN has it at less than 500k.

Arrgh

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:
Once again... success =/= profit. They can stay afloat by profit, but with ugly-arse numbers.

And Admiral, I'm not parading anything. As a matter of fact, I believe I was congratulating the DS with a humorous poke at my own standards, and a few people blew some gaskets, not much unlike my moms car >_>

Just step away from the keyboard. You can do it.

Xeke

Banned
LanceStern said:
I never said to make a profit. I said to be a success, in my eyes ^_^

But then it's relative. Lost Magic's 50,000 and Age of empires 70k in the US is a success, while Digimon Stories >200k in Japan is also a success. But WE, Children of Mana, Tales of Tempest, Sonic Rush (Japan), Advanced Wars (US) etc are painful for me :*(

Why?

WE didn't get amazing reviews.
CoM wasn't a real Mana game.
TotT was shite.
Sonic Rush was good.
Advanes Wars is good too.

LanceStern said:
...Profit = success. Profit means you make money and you can do whatever you want with said money. Like make more games.

castle007

Banned
LanceStern said:

*cue Kermit the Frog GIF *

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
LanceStern said:

Which game developer will stay in business longer: Developer A whose games have "ugly" numbers but turn a profit, or Developer B whose games have... "pretty" (?) numbers yet fail to meet their budget?

Branduil

Mr. Pointy said:
...Profit = success. Profit means you make money and you can do whatever you want with said money. Like make more games.

I've had it with your voodoo economics. Everyone knows you have to lose money to make money. The DS will be gone in 2 years because the hardware is sold at a profit.

linsivvi

LanceStern said:
No no no it's still not there yet ethel. Only 2 companies have succeded in getting titles over EVEN 300k in Japan and that's Namco/Bandai and Square Enix. Each with essentially only ONE title. Sega has recently joined them, and Atari (if we had updated numbers) would also succeed.

So, counting Sega, we now have three 3rd party companies with a 300K+ game in Japan. Capcom will get there with the new Megaman Star Force, and Konami will have a chance with the new Yu-go-oh. SE will also bag one more with DQ:MJ.

What more do you want? You have to realize that there just aren't that many major publishers in Japan any more, they are all merging into one big giant entity.

Xeke said:
Why?

WE didn't get amazing reviews.
CoM wasn't a real Mana game.
TotT was shite.
Sonic Rush was good.
Advanes Wars is good too.

Tales of Legendia got fairly low scores. Still did over 300k on PS2.
Most would agree that good review scores don't contribute to good sales or bad reviews to bad sales.

Regardless of the scores the games got, should've sold more. Children of Mana I can sympathize with. It's not only very close to 300k but it also outsold the GBA counterpart. So I can add it to success despite it launching with the DSLite.

I wonder if it had been released later after DSLite's launch (like when DSLite was really starting to phenomenize) that it would sell better.

Once again profit isn't success. I could run a lemonade stand and sell 50 lemonades and only make 50 cents profit. It ain't that money that gives you satisfaction, it's how much you sold. Then again you do NEED a profit to stay afloat, but by no means should you be satisfied with just profit and no mass awareness.

linsivvi

mre said:
Which game developer will stay in business longer: Developer A whose games have "ugly" numbers but turn a profit, or Developer B whose games have... "pretty" (?) numbers yet fail to meet their budget?

Developer B = Clover.

linsivvi said:
So, counting Sega, we now have three 3rd party companies with a 300K+ game in Japan. Capcom will get there with the new Megaman Star Force, and Konami will have a chance with the new Yu-go-oh. SE will also bag one more with DQ:MJ.

What more do you want? You have to release that there just aren't that many major publishers in Japan any more, they are all merging into one big giant entity.
A good test would be to compare how many 300k+ games were out for the PS2 in 2000 and 2001 in Japan as the PS2 is a prime example of a successful console. Anyone have the numbers for 2000 and 2001?

Branduil

LanceStern said:
Most would agree that good review scores don't contribute to good sales or bad reviews to bad sales.

Regardless of the scores the games got, should've sold more. Children of Mana I can sympathize with. It's not only very close to 300k but it also outsold the GBA counterpart. So I can add it to success despite it launching with the DSLite.

I wonder if it had been released later after DSLite's launch (like when DSLite was really starting to phenomenize) that it would sell better.

Once again profit isn't success. I could run a lemonade stand and sell 50 lemonades and only make 50 cents profit. It ain't that money that gives you satisfaction, it's how much you sold. Then again you do NEED a profit to stay afloat, but by no means should you be satisfied with just profit and no mass awareness.

what6dj.jpg

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
LanceStern said:

Wait You mean the 300k mark? Well, sega just had one this week in one week, do we kick them out too? And namco has 2 non Tales game beating 300k more than twice over. And those are just for the DS. For the psp you have monster hunter portable.

I'd imagine if we were consistant and took out the most popular publishers and series throughout the history of Video gaming industry, it's still look the same. Your dream world where all companies used to all do equally well never existed. There were always companies doing better than others. It's called business.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:

No, that profit would definitely make the lemonade stand a success. You are hopeless.

What more do you want? You have to release that there just aren't that many major publishers in Japan any more, they are all merging into one big giant entity.

What makes you think Capcom will get there with Megaman Star Force when it's ZX title couldn't get much over 100,000...

Yugioh may have a chance. But once again, Winning Eleven was supposed to be a sure fire hit and I don't think ANYONE HERE COULD DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT but look where it turned out. Less than 100,000. This is an online winning eleven we're talking about on Japan's fastest selling console ever.

DS just is still too sporadic with these big sellers. I want consistency, then a monopoly. I want Nintendo to crush Sony into dust. At least in the handheld market so that not even the most ignorant casual gamer could believe PSP was winning in sales or quality or games.

ethelred

bmf said:
A good test would be to compare how many 300k+ games were out for the PS2 in 2000 and 2001 in Japan as the PS2 is a prime example of a successful console. Anyone have the numbers for 2000 and 2001?

11 PS2 games sold 300k+ in 2001.
11 DS games sold 300k+ in 2005.

LanceStern said:
What makes you think Capcom will get there with Megaman Star Force when it's ZX title couldn't get much over 100,000...

Because ZX was the successor to the Zero series, which last sold around 60k on the GBA.

Star Force is the successor to EXE, which last sold... 560k.

Does any of this make sense?

LanceStern said:
Yugioh may have a chance. But once again, Winning Eleven was supposed to be a sure fire hit and I don't think ANYONE HERE COULD DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT

I'm raising my hand.

duderon said:
No, that profit would definitely make the lemonade stand a success. You are hopeless.

Considering I sold candy during high school with a 25 cent profit on each one sold while my friend made a dollar on each one sold but I sold twice as many, I can distinguish between my standards for success and profit. Thank you very much ^_^

Star Force is the spiritual successor to the Battle Network games that sold >500k to near-1m on the GBA in Japan. Hence it will explode and sell stupid numbers.

WEDS was shit. People recognised that.

In response to that Developer A and Developer B question, Developer A would last much longer, but they'd sure get flamed/trolled to death about having bombas and failures and crappy sales.

They'd lose just on sheer reputation. However, they'd be more successful in the long rung. They lasted longer, they made more money.

But thena gain, this whole scenario isn't realistic. Considering the budgets, B would make a profit no matter what if it sold that much more than A to distinguish between pretty and ugly numbers.

Yes I see the contradiction people, before you start posting your photoshopped/premiered jpegs ^_^. I don't conform, I complex ^_^

ethelred

LanceStern said:
But thena gain, this whole scenario isn't realistic. Considering the budgets, B would make a profit no matter what if it sold that much more than A to distinguish between pretty and ugly numbers.

Better get Capcom on the phone. Quick, let them know Onimusha really has been turning a profit for them...

Mr. Pointy said:
Star Force is the spiritual successor to the Battle Network games that sold >500k to near-1m on the GBA in Japan. Hence it will explode and sell stupid numbers.

WEDS was shit. People recognised that.

Let's look at our spiritual successor to Sega's Mushikings for Game Boy Advance. A breakout hit at over 630,000 units sold. usually franchises like that don't just bust out and then sell bad, they just continue to surge like Jak, Ratchet, Animal Crossing, Touch Generation etc.

So where's our spiritual successor at?

Mushikings 2 --> Less than 150k

One example isn't sufficient enough evidence I know, but it still points out the fatal fluctuation of DS titles.

linsivvi

LanceStern said:

Yugioh may have a chance. But once again, Winning Eleven was supposed to be a sure fire hit and I don't think ANYONE HERE COULD DISAGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT but look where it turned out. Less than 100,000. This is an online winning eleven we're talking about on Japan's fastest selling console ever.

DS just is still too sporadic with these big sellers. I want consistency, then a monopoly. I want Nintendo to crush Sony into dust. At least in the handheld market so that not even the most ignorant casual gamer could believe PSP was winning in sales or quality or games.

Sounds like you don't know what Megaman Star Force is. Look up some of the Megaman EXE sales numbers and some Megaman Zero numbers on the GBA please. You are comparing two sub-franchises with sales difference in an order of magnitude!

Winning Eleven DS is shite. Even diehard WE fans gave up on this game.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
LanceStern said:
In response to that Developer A and Developer B question, Developer A would last much longer, but they'd sure get flamed/trolled to death about having bombas and failures and crappy sales.

They'd lose just on sheer reputation. However, they'd be more successful in the long rung. They lasted longer, they made more money.

Yes I see the contradiction people, before you start posting your photoshopped/premiered jpegs ^_^. I don't conform, I complex ^_^

Not when the numbers you use to define a success are so arbitrary.

Maridia

LanceStern said:

That is literally, yes, literally, the dumbest thing I've ever read.

ethelred said:
Better get Capcom on the phone. Quick, let them know Onimusha really has been turning a profit for them...

Capcom can't turn a profit and they can't make sales projections/predictions if their company depended on it.

Matter of fact, neither can namco. Anyone remember:
"Namco expects Baten Kaitos to sell 500,000 units in Japan alone for the Nintendo Gamecube"

HAHAHAHAHAH :lol :lol :lol :lol

gconsole

LanceStern said:

Monster Hunter sold even better then Tales games combine last 2 years.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
Let's look at our spiritual successor to Sega's Mushikings for Game Boy Advance. A breakout hit at over 630,000 units sold. usually franchises like that don't just bust out and then sell bad, they just continue to surge like Jak, Ratchet, Animal Crossing, Touch Generation etc.

So where's our spiritual successor at?

Mushikings 2 --> Less than 150k

One example isn't sufficient enough evidence I know, but it still points out the fatal fluctuation of DS titles.

Lance, Lance, Lance...

Mushi King was one game. One game which was a hit.

The EXE games consistently met with high sales. There were five of them (not counting the many different versions of the same five games) on the GBA. They consistently were successful.

You have one game that's a hit, but proves to be a fluke when its single sequel doesn't succeed. You then have a series that has been consistently successful, and gee, there's a bit more confidence the latest entry will succeed.

Again: Does any of this make any sense?

Top Bottom