• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/24 - 11/30

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Spiegel said:
Yeah, it's going to be close but the psp is "fighting" with the Wii for the second place in Japan and it's winning in hardware and software sales for now.

Next year we'll see but if things don't change that situation could benefit the psp.

Yeah I've been thinking for a while that Wii's top competition for 3rd party support is from the PSP.

Lightning said:
LOL @ the difference between PES PS3 and PES 360. I thought they would be a lot closer since the improvements made by the 360 this year. Oh well.

Japanese consumers always seem to choose the PS3 version over 360 when given the choice.

Kafel

Banned
Wow Konami ... I don't know if I should respect them for having guts or if they are just a bunch of assholes.

You guys are quoting the wrong Rune Factory numbers :p

18,520 is Media Create. Nothing to do with first day info we got.

Although the Famitsu data is a little weird yes, 18k with 43% sell through was reported from first day (we can't compare with sinobi because he didn't mention it) and now that 2ch post also has 18k.

edit: I wouldn't doubt first day numbers we got, if anything I'd question Famitsu numbers given out today. Better wait until full leak comes today/tomorrow.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Lightning said:
LOL @ the difference between PES PS3 and PES 360. I thought they would be a lot closer since the improvements made by the 360 this year. Oh well.

The Biohazard 5 difference will be interesting next year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the ps3 has a 3.5-4:1 userbase advantage, and sales-wise seems to vary from 2-8x the 360 version depending on the game/genre.

Johann

neojubei said:
The Biohazard 5 difference will be interesting next year.

I'm guessing a repeat of the DMC4 PS3/360 split. I do wonder if releases such as SO4 and the FFXIII demo will have an effect on a teetering buyer.

Critical thinking (and an inconsistent accent) is the key to success!

Johann said:
I'm guessing a repeat of the DMC4 PS3/360 split. I do wonder if releases such as SO4 and the FFXIII demo will have an effect on a teetering buyer.

Critical thinking (and an inconsistent accent) is the key to success!

If PES bundles are selling this much at a time when xbox is cheap and has a brand new SE RPG, what will the advent children/FFXIII demo bundle do? There might even be a price drop around that time.

Leonsito

Lightning said:

Who cares, both versions are horrible, I don't understand what has Konami done with the WE franchise :(

Using sell through ratios from Media Create to know shipments, 11/24-11/30 edition

(For New Games) Platform Title / Sold / Shipped (Sell-through Ratio)
Code:
NDS Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou  / 347,360 / [B]675,141[/B] (51.45%)
PS3 Winning Eleven 2009                     / 168,405 / [B]306,972[/B] (54.86%)
PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3 /  64,179 /  [B]83,883[/B] (76.51%)
PSP Kenka Banchou 3                         /  53,966 /  [B]77,627[/B] (69.52%)
PSP Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin               /  45,809 /  [B]79,049[/B] (57.95%)
PSP Higurashi Daybreak                      /  32,639 /  [B]44,160[/B] (73.91%)
WII Rune Factory Frontier                   /  18,520 /  [B]44,095[/B] (42%)
(For Old Games) Platform Title / Sold This Week / Sold Total / Shipped (Sell-through Ratio) (Shipped This Week)
Code:
WII Animal Crossing: City Folk               / 108,547 / 413,727 / [B]806,171[/B] (51.32%) ([I]66,699[/I])
NDS Chrono Trigger                           /  80,157 / 351,025 / [B]413,310[/B] (84.93%) ([I]25,359[/I])
PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam   /  56,557 / 323,489 / [B]407,263[/B] (79.43%) ([I]23,905[/I])
NDS Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe                 /  56,176 / 474,749 / [B]621,725[/B] (76.36%) ([I]25,212[/I])

deepbrown

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Using sell through ratios from Media Create to know shipments, 11/24-11/30 edition

(For New Games) Platform Title / Sold / Shipped (Sell-through Ratio)
Code:
NDS Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou  / 347,360 / [B]675,141[/B] (51.45%)
PS3 Winning Eleven 2009                     / 168,405 / [B]306,972[/B] (54.86%)
PSP Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 3 /  64,179 /  [B]83,883[/B] (76.51%)
PSP Kenka Banchou 3                         /  53,966 /  [B]77,627[/B] (69.52%)
PSP Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin               /  45,809 /  [B]79,049[/B] (57.95%)
PSP Higurashi Daybreak                      /  32,639 /  [B]44,160[/B] (73.91%)
WII Rune Factory Frontier                   /  18,520 /  [B]44,095[/B] (42%)
(For Old Games) Platform Title / Sold This Week / Sold Total / Shipped (Sell-through Ratio) (Shipped This Week)
Code:
WII Animal Crossing: City Folk               / 108,547 / 413,727 / [B]806,171[/B] (51.32%) ([I]66,699[/I])
NDS Chrono Trigger                           /  80,157 / 351,025 / [B]413,310[/B] (84.93%) ([I]25,359[/I])
PSP Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam   /  56,557 / 323,489 / [B]407,263[/B] (79.43%) ([I]23,905[/I])
NDS Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe                 /  56,176 / 474,749 / [B]621,725[/B] (76.36%) ([I]25,212[/I])

Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou Is that Professor Layton and the Curious Village?

Jetku

deepbrown said:
Layton Kyouju to Saigo no Jikan Ryokou Is that Professor Layton and the Curious Village?

Curious village is the first game in the Layton series. This is the third game.

cvxfreak

Frillen said:
What's the YTD difference between the DS and the PSP now?

PSP: 3,301,982
DS: 3,103,426
Difference: 198,556

It's going to be close.

EDIT: I totally didn't see Captain Smoker's post above.

Vinnk said:
So far in my town no used copies either, which is surprising in it's own right. I wonder how long that will last?
I guess it's design helps. Unless someone wants to play as a super-speed time traveler who doesn't interact with other players, it's not one that will be finished in a rush.
Spiegel said:
Yeah, it's going to be close but the psp is "fighting" with the Wii for the second place in Japan and it's winning in hardware and software sales for now.
Hardware, yes. Software, not so much. Unless one means third party games only.

Of course numbers aren't complete, but trying to get an idea of 2008 sales by taking "current" in Garaph (Famitsu through the week of November 10) and then subtracting what the total was through the end of 2007, this year has about 6 million software sales for PSP and 9.3 million for Wii.

Jokeropia

Frillen said:
The only thing that can save the PSP from beating the DS right now is Dissidia (YTD wise).
I'd say it's a possible lack of DSi stock during the holidays. It has sold almost exactly 88k for three weeks in a row now so that's likely what the weekly shipments are, and that won't be nearly enough in December.

Jokeropia said:
I'd say it's a possible lack of DSi stock during the holidays. It has sold almost exactly 88k for three weeks in a row now so that's likely what the weekly shipments are, and that won't be nearly enough in December.
Surely Nintendo must be able to supply more in the weeks ahead? If the purpose of DSi was to reboost DS sales, making the DSL seem less desirable while providing far less DSi in a week than even a no-longer-godly DSL would've bumped to seems pretty dense.

EDIT: Got my DS tongues tied.

Frillen

deepbrown said:
Is Layton 3, Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)??

Japanese release dates:

02/15/07 Professor Layton and the Curious Village
11/29/07 Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
11/27/08 Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hardware, yes. Software, not so much. Unless one means third party games only.

Of course numbers aren't complete, but trying to get an idea of 2008 sales by taking "current" in Garaph (Famitsu through the week of November 10) and then subtracting what the total was through the end of 2007, this year has about 6 million software sales for PSP and 9.3 million for Wii.

Last four months (Dengeki):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13794912&postcount=244

Wii: 2.596.289
PSP: 2.993.839

:/

And yeah, 80% of the Wii sales are from Nintendo games.

Kyoufu

neojubei said:
Yea I totally see Dissidia in the top 10.

Was there ever any doubt it wouldn't? I mean Crisis Core did sell 800k in Japan. Just imagine the amount of fanservice going on with Dissidia. Its going to sell pretty well thats for sure.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
Last four months (Dengeki):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13794912&postcount=244

Wii: 2.596.289
PSP: 2.993.839

The comment you were originally responding to was discussing the PSP vs. DS YTD race. It is logical to, therefore, assume that you were referring to a YTD competition in hardware and software for the Wii vs. the PSP.

That said, every system is "not good" lately in Japan for software except the DS, and even it is still down from last year.

GCX

Frillen said:
Japanese release dates:

02/15/07 Professor Layton and the Curious Village
11/29/07 Professor Layton and Pandora's Box
11/27/08 Professor Layton and the Last Time Travel
Now that the originally planned trilogy is done, it'll be interesting to see what Level 5 does with the series. After all, it has been a huge success for the company.

Jokeropia

JoshuaJSlone said:
Surely Nintendo must be able to supply more in the weeks ahead? If the purpose of DSi was to reboost DS sales, making the DSL seem less desirable while providing far less DSi in a week than even a no-longer-godly DSL would've bumped to seems pretty dense.
Yeah Nintendo would have to have been quite stupid for this to happen.

I think it was already asked in a recent MC thread, but how many units did the original Chrono Trigger release on the SNES sell and what did the PSone port do? :I

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
slaughterking said:
I think it was already asked in a recent MC thread, but how many units did the original Chrono Trigger release on the SNES sell and what did the PSone port do? :I

ct sfc 2030k***
cross 688k
ct psx 199k

*** we don't have actual reliable famitsu numbers from this far back, i believe this number is derived using old famitsu "points" listings and a multiplier and compiled by one of the more obscure japanese sites. i got the number from captain smoker's excellent listings.

Aadil

Banned
DS family has nearly caught up with the PSPs YTD. I wonder if it can surpass it, PSP is putting up a good right even with the DSi and its starting to sell more software as we can see from the recent top 10s.

I think someone should make an official thread with worldwide totals [america/japan/other] hardware and software, and kept updated.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aadil said:
DS family has nearly caught up with the PSPs YTD. I wonder if it can surpass it, PSP is putting up a good right even with the DSi and its starting to sell more software as we can see from the recent top 10s.

yeahhhhh no.

"psp is starting to sell more software" is pretty wildly inaccurate. a better claim would be "in a week with several psp software launches, the psp sold some software"... psp software sales are certainly up in the last year, but they're not even in the same league as the ds. last four months the ds outsold the psp in terms of software 4:1.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
The comment you were originally responding to was discussing the PSP vs. DS YTD race. It is logical to, therefore, assume that you were referring to a YTD competition in hardware and software for the Wii vs. the PSP.

That said, every system is "not good" lately in Japan for software except the DS, and even it is still down from last year.

We only have the total software data of the last four months. Joshua does an amazing job but the Top 30/Top 100 don't tell full story and you know that.

And it's pretty obvious that the few third party releases on the psp are doing good (or as expected) and better than the few third party releases on the wii.
PSP couldn't sell much more than that when there were no games, now there are more games being released and the software situation is improving.

I don't know, I've read your posts and you are being pretty optimistic with the third party situation on the Wii (they will jump from PS2/PS3 to Wii) but now and for me it's more likely that japan centric third parties would jump to PSP before the Wii.

You aren't giving psp some credit.

IF Sony were smart they would incentive third parties to jump from PS2 to PSP.

Stumpokapow said:
ct sfc 2030k***
cross 688k
ct psx 199k

*** we don't have actual reliable famitsu numbers from this far back, i believe this number is derived using old famitsu "points" listings and a multiplier and compiled by one of the more obscure japanese sites. i got the number from captain smoker's excellent listings.
Thanks. I managed to find a SquareEnix PDF document, which reported 2,360,000 shipped units (SNES and PSone combined), but didn't show an actual breakdown between the two.
Nice to see the DS version already outsold the PSone port by a wide margin. :eek:

Jaruru

Captain Smoker said:
YTD 08:
PSP: 3.301.468
NDS: 3.103.850

Diff.: 197.618

it's getting REALLY close. DSL is still going strong.
with less than 200,000 units diff, number of DSi + DSL - PSP = 54,000 units last week. Dec data coming... ... ... ;)

wrowa

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You guys are quoting the wrong Rune Factory numbers :p

18,520 is Media Create. Nothing to do with first day info we got.

So Rune Factory needs to tripple it's launch numbers to achieve MMV's expectations... :/

donny2112

Spiegel said:
I don't know, I've read your posts and you are being pretty optimistic with the third party situation on the Wii

On consoles, there's really not another viable option if you're looking at Japan-only. That said, it obviously isn't happening, yet, for the Wii.

Spiegel said:
but now and for me it's more likely that japan centric third parties would jump to PSP before the Wii.

The potential for software, even now, is greater on the Wii. The problem is finding how to reach the audience/convince more traditional PS2 gamers to come over. On Wii, Nintendo has reached the audience with some of its games. On PSP, the audience has only been reached by Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter-like games, and the huge blockbuster, hyped for years Crisis Core.

Also, the Wii does have the advantage of primarily being bought for store-bought games.

Spiegel said:
You aren't giving psp any credit.

I give it the credit that I see it deserving. That usually pales next to some more rosier pictures of the software picture on the system, but I try not to undersell the situation, either.

Spiegel said:
IF Sony were smart they would incentive third parties to jump from PS2 to PSP.

And if companies were willing to take a significant step back in what their expectations are for games (outside of the ones I mentioned), that might actually work. Something like expecting their game to top out between 200K and 300K.

skulpt

Man, when the PS3 gets a price drop in Japan, I think they'll be alright. If they can manage a PS3 price cut around FF13, I'd be shocked if they couldn't clear 100k in one week.

jakncoke

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Famitsu leak sadly late again, oh well, not entirely sure this is totally legit but since half the data was posted already here's the rest

Layton 3 360000
WE2009 PS3 175000
Yugioh 3 64000
Kenka Banchou 3 49000
Orochi Musou 2 43000
Higurashi PSP 33000
Higurashi DS 30000
Patapon 24000
Rune Factory 18000
WE2009 360 9000
FarCry2 5500
Agarest Senki 3300

DSL 24000
DSi 88000
PSP 58000
Wii 42000
PS3 35000
PS2 7000
360 12000

PD: From MC leak you guys missed (I guess it got added later) Rune Factory Frontier at 18,520 with 42%.

Oh, also WE 2009 360 at 7,984 units in place #34.

Using Famitsu #'s from japan-charts it appears WE 2009 had the 6th biggest opening week for a PS3 game and currently sits as the 9th best selling game. Konami now has the most top 10 LTD with 3 games(MGS4,WE 08/09) breaking the ties with SCE and Bancai Namco as it knocked Ridge Racer 7 out of the top 10

donny2112 said:
On PSP, the audience has only been reached by Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter-like games, and the huge blockbuster, hyped for years Crisis Core.

You are talking like those Gundam, Anime and RPG games on PSP are totally ignorable.

donny2112

AnimeTheme said:
You are talking like those Gundam, Anime and RPG games on PSP are totally ignorable.

Japan-GameCharts.com

Top Gundam - 279K

I'm no expert on figuring out what should be counted as anime and what shouldn't, but the top DBZ game is 141K.

Top RPG other than the list of games I mentioned - Final Fantasy Tactics @ 302K

I don't consider that "reaching the audience," no.

donny2112 said:
And if companies were willing to take a significant step back in what their expectations are for games (outside of the ones I mentioned), that might actually work. Something like expecting their game to top out between 200K and 300K.

Edit:
I guess it should be noted that RPGs don't typically sell a ton outside of FF, DQ, Pokemon, and KH, so the RPG sales might actually be decent for RPGs. charlequin would probably be a better judge, there.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
On consoles, there's really not another viable option if you're looking at Japan-only. That said, it obviously isn't happening, yet, for the Wii.

PSP can be a viable option here. See Tenchu IV Wii -> PSP

donny2112 said:
The potential for software, even now, is greater on the Wii. The problem is finding how to reach the audience/convince more traditional PS2 gamers to come over. On Wii, Nintendo has reached the audience with some of its games. On PSP, the audience has only been reached by Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter-like games, and the huge blockbuster, hyped for years Crisis Core.

Now potential is having games selling >400k?

Well, on the ds only Nintendo, minigame/brain/party compilations, S-E hyped games and the typical gba blockbusters had reached that audience

donny2112 said:
Also, the Wii does have the advantage of primarily being bought for store-bought games.

For store-brought expanded audience games? I agree

donny2112 said:
I give it the credit that I see it deserving. That usually pales next to some more rosier pictures of the software picture on the system, but I try not to undersell the situation, either.

We agree to disagree then

donny2112 said:

Like ds?

What psp third party games have underperformed and deserved to sell a lot more this year?

donny2112 said:
Top Gundam - 279K

Gundam Vs Gundam selling >320k in two weeks says hi

Top Bottom