• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11/27 - 12/03

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Oh, this reminds me. I just bought FF III the other day and am totally impressed - one of the few RPGs I can really dig. I don't see it in the Japanese charts anymore. Is it deader than dead now?

Defuser

Im sure MGS:pO will bring PSP sales back up in Japan and maybe FFVII:CC,Slient Hill Origins and DMC PSP next year.

Firestorm

Dear Namco,

I have thought it over, and want to give you my money. Please bring Tales of Destiny over to North America. Remember, money gold for you!

Sincerely,
Firestorm

PS: NPD tomorrow? I did not know this! Fiesta after my exam =D

sphinx

the piano man
bmf said:
Here's another thought. With all due respect to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, we in this forum have no (or negligible) effect on what happens to sales in japan. We are as good statistically as completely external observers. We can make any determination we want about video game sales in Japan and be right or wrong, and it doesn't matter a lick. With all the data available to you now, you can make a guess as to how well any system will do, and that's ok.

Michael Pacter will prognosticate that the PS3 will catch up in 2009 or 2010 and he may be right, and I can come out and say that the PS3 will never come even close to the Wii, and that's fine too.

This is one of the great things about being a fanboy on the internet. We can say whatever we think, and in all reasonable reality, it doesn't matter.

you are changing the argument, if I understand you correctly.

I wasn't talking about opinions or predictions about the future of the PS3 in the japanese market. I was addressing forum members "demanding" PS3 software in the software list in the first post, the media create of THIS exact week. We all knew the PS3 would have no titles in the top 20 of this week and yet people act like its a surprise and the megaton of the holidays. It's annoying, if you ask me.

Shouldn't it be sort of worrying or troubling that the PS3 doesn't though?

I'm fairly sure PS2 had at least one title in the top 30 at launch.

It's definitely not a GOOD thing for Sony, no matter how you spin it. Even if it isn't a surprise, it deserves to be commented on.

sphinx said:
you are changing the argument, if I understand you correctly.

I wasn't talking about opinions or predictions about the future of the PS3 in the japanese market. I was addressing forum members "demanding" PS3 software in the software list in the first post, the media create of THIS exact week. We all knew the PS3 would have no titles in the top 20 of this week and yet people act like its a surprise and the megaton of the holidays. It's annoying, if you ask me.
They don't matter.

Firestorm

Eddz said:
Dear Firestorm,

no.

Love and kisses,
Namco

eddzav2.gif

sphinx

the piano man
pol's voice said:
Shouldn't it be sort of worrying or troubling that the PS3 doesn't though?

I'm fairly sure PS2 had at least one title in the top 30 at launch.

It's definitely not a GOOD thing for Sony, no matter how you spin it. Even if it isn't a surprise, it deserves to be commented on.

you are right, I am not trying to spin it. PS3 is in what seems a swamp, moving everything ( HW, SW and Peripherals ) at a very.....slow......untroubled..........comfortable........ pace.

I sure wanted them to fall from 1st place but I don't want sony/PS to disappear. It would be unhealthy for the indrusty.

on other things:

when was the last time a PSP 3rd party exclusive was announced in japan?? I know there are titles coming (FFVII:CC, etc.) , I mean an announcement about a game made from the ground up for PSP. which one was the last one ? Any info?

Avalon said:
SCEA has yet to announce the game in NA... I guess it never will. :(

I dunno - it would probably sell better in the US than Japan. I think last week it sold 40,000 copies or so, and 30th this week is probably what, 3000? So figure it might hit 50,000 total there.

That said, I don't think we are going to see it in the US. Sony doesn't seem inclined to bring over RPGs and I doubt any of the 3rd party companies will be doing PSP games by next year.

Barf_the_Mog said:
Oh, this reminds me. I just bought FF III the other day and am totally impressed - one of the few RPGs I can really dig. I don't see it in the Japanese charts anymore. Is it deader than dead now?

Pretty much. That game's never coming back up unless it drops in price.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
30k PS3 per week would be what, 120k per month? That is pathetic if that is all they can manufacture.

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:
30k PS3 per week would be what, 120k per month? That is pathetic if that is all they can manufacture.

Japan isn't getting the lion's share of the consoles though. Still, it IS pathetic but errr yeah new technology and all that! We've heard it all!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
castle007 said:
I think it is at 800k or something like that

It was at about 860k a few weeks ago. Maaaybe it's up to 900k. it's floating between 7 to 10 k a week I think. If we get top 50 data, I'd think it'd be just below Jeanne d'arc.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Japan isn't getting the lion's share of the consoles though. Still, it IS pathetic but errr yeah new technology and all that! We've heard it all!
PS2 couldn't have been this bad.

apujanata

I really hope that PS3 will get better (H/W & S/W). I don't want the RPG games to die, since I like RPG, and Play Station is where I get my RPG games.

SCE, please increase your manufacturing capacity, ASAP.

Galactic Fork

apujanata said:
I really hope that PS3 will get better (H/W & S/W). I don't want the RPG games to die, since I like RPG, and Play Station is where I get my RPG games.

SCE, please increase your manufacturing capacity, ASAP.

Don't worry, if the PS3 dies, you can get your RPGs on the Wii... With 80% more waggle!

Joe Molotov

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Don't worry, if the PS3 dies, you can get your RPGs on the Wii... With 80% more waggle!

You forgot DS. Hopefully they won't make us wait too long for that port of JEANNE D'ARC.

Galactic Fork

Joe Molotov said:
You forgot DS. Hopefully they won't make us wait too long for that port of JEANNE D'ARC.

You're too late, they just changed the name to Luminous Arc.

Oblivion said:
Is that Tales of Destiny..a port?
It is... a remake.

PantherLotus said:
Well there's no doubt that launch numbers do not guarantee a console's success. Look back to the PSP launch, compared with its moderate success, or even better, the DS's turnaround from launch compared with its hotcake success now.
Errrr? DS creamed PSP at launch.

PSP first 3 weeks:
-------

DS first 3 weeks:
-------

It was basically Q1 2005 where PSP outsold DS. During 11 weeks of being in the lead, PSP outsold DS by 204,336.

Xeke said:
It is a shame that people take these Wii sales for first week, when in reality its only 2 days...
Considering that things are usually only available for 3 days on their first week, and that if it really came close to selling out the 3rd day sales would probably be negligible, I don't think this makes much difference.

Xeke said:
It is a shame that people take these Wii sales for first week, when in reality its only 2 days...
Just let them think that it's a period of sales of one week, and then next week the second week sales will suddenly seem huge!

I'm tired of seeing people saying its the end for New Super Mario Bros. and ANimal Crossing.

PLEASE look at how #10 is at 60,000 units, meaning NSMB and ACWW guranteed did MORE than they did last week, and have even surprisingly pulled back ahead of Brain Age 2 (at least surprising for ACWW).

Will ACWW once again show that it OWNS the holidays as it did that fateful last year that cememnted DS's strangehold on the market?

If Pokemon Pearl sells 20,000 units more than NSMB this week, Pokemon D/P will be the DS's top selling game. If not, New Super Mario Bros. will be (excellent ^_^) if it sells 20k more than Brain Age 2. How will this play out?

I'm really sad for Zelda TP sales, even though I know it's Japan, and two days, and short Wii stock, and it's also on GCN. I've just cheered myself up

Awesome start for ToD! 270k out of 280k first shipment! Go Tales, Go (although I guess next week it will be gone) :)

Surprising to see FFVI selling as good as FFV, I thought FFVI would get more love. Nice Summon Night 4 sales, surpasses the start of Extasy although lower than SN3.

Love & Berry dissapoints again, I told you last week guys...that 800k first shipment is quite a lot. I guess it'll have legs and meet that, maybe it really was necessary to put that amount because of the card reader. Jump otoh has a really good second week.

Surprised to see Ryu Ga Gotoku still above 16k at least, its total plus what the first edition sold should be really near 500k already. Bodes well for the sequel next week.

Prediction time: I think PS2 > PSP > PS3 this week.

Galactic Fork

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Love & Berry dissapoints again, I told you last week guys...that 800k first shipment is quite a lot. I guess it'll have legs and meet that, maybe it really was necessary to put that amount because of the card reader. Jump otoh has a really good second week.

Could also be that the parents of the 6 year old girls getting this game didn't want to wade through all the Wii lines. Expect a big boost as xmas and new years approach. And I think I heard somewhere that there wasn't going to be any new card readers till next year, so the 800k has to last all holiday. It might not be enough.

regarding the 360... i think its reasonable to believe that 360 is bombing in japan because its a north american product.

why people don´t say that? is there any study on how well western companies fare in japan? is coke/general motors/nike a sucess or a flop? maybe a study like that would help us understand xbox in japan.

i think this argument is valid. it boggles my mind that japanese games can be sucesfull worldwide, but western games just don´t make in japan. even when they are very similar in style, the western game bombs (god of war) while the japanese sell a lot (DMC). i think crash bandicoot is the only western title i can think of that sold really well in japan... anybody else with better examples in this subject?

----------------------------

about PS3... i kind of root for sony because i really like their 1st party software... i wasen´t worried a few months back... but now... things are just terrible. they can´t continue to ship 30k consoles a week... european launch? another disappointment? there´s a saying in life that only time heals. i bet sony would really like to fast foward to june/july 2007. this start of gen has been brutal for then

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
dyls said:
No Wii games after Wario :( NOJ really ****ed third-parties.

Wrong. And besides, it's only tracking 2 days since launch and people don't buy 5 games on launch day.

Busaiku said:
So, the Wii is probably gonna be the biggest hurdle for the Nintendo DS.

Doubt it. Sales numbers for DSL and DS games actually went up...it's just that the top 6 games this week all sold over 100k and are NEW

seattle6418 said:
regarding the 360... i think its reasonable to believe that 360 is bombing in japan because its a north american product.

no

adelante

seattle6418 said:

why people don´t say that? is there any study on how well western companies fare in japan? is coke/general motors/nike a sucess or a flop? maybe a study like that would help us understand xbox in japan.

i think this argument is valid. it boggles my mind that japanese games can be sucesfull worldwide, but western games just don´t make in japan. even when they are very similar in style, the western game bombs (god of war) while the japanese sell a lot (DMC). i think crash bandicoot is the only western title i can think of that sold really well in japan... anybody else with better examples in this subject?

----------------------------

about PS3... i kind of root for sony because i really like their 1st party software... i wasen´t worried a few months back... but now... things are just terrible. they can´t continue to ship 30k consoles a week... european launch? another disappointment? there´s a saying in life that only time heals. i bet sony would really like to fast foward to june/july 2007. this start of gen has been brutal for then

I must say, you're pretty insightful.

Chittagong

Gold Member
bmf said:
This is one of the great things about being a fanboy on the internet. We can say whatever we think, and in all reasonable reality, it doesn't matter.

Now THAT is a tag I want.

I wanna bet all of Neogaf's Nintendo fanboys ejaculated reading this thread

I am more interested to hear comments from Sony however. Knowing their marketing (read: spinning) team, that would be good for a laugh.

Top Bottom