• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/5 - 11/11 2007

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lightning said:
I was not insulting Wii fans, just making a statement. What would you seriously want more, RE2 remake or new, ground up RE game using RE4 engine? I greatly prefer the latter.

Both?

Everyone hates remakes they don't want because they perceive that it distracts companies from being able to produce content they do like. Everyone loves remakes they do want because it gives them a greater ability to love some of their favorite games.

To some people, an RE2 remake is like an FF7 remake might be to you. Presenting you with a choice between FF7r and FF13 is a false choice because you'd likely respond that you want Square to work on BOTH and stop working on <x other content> you're not interested in.

Same for me. I'd be happy to have a remake of Clock Tower or RE2 or a non-shitty remake of Okami. I was happy to have RE4Wii. I have no interest in Lost Planet PS3 or their mobile phone shit. I have little interest in DMC4, although I'll probably pick it up at some point when the price has dropped. I love Phoenix Wright but I'd rather a substantial gap of time between PW4 and PW5 because I'm starting to get burned out. I think the Harvey Birdman game is a fucking waste of time. I think MotoGP 07 is a fucking waste of time.

The list goes on. I want from Capcom the same stuff I want from any company; more content that I like (including remakes and original content) and less stuff that I don't like (whether it's remakes or original content). Look at Square-Enix. I'm totally onboard for DQ4-5-6, FF3-4-whatever. I'm not onboard for the ridiculous PSP releases of FF1/FF2.

I guess at gunpoint I'd rather a hypothetical new RE Wii game than RE2 Wiimake--simply because I think RE2 Wiimake will sell no matter when they make it and no matter for what system, but the conditions are just right for a new RE Wii game right now. But if Capcom announced RE2Wiimake, I'd be all about it provided it isn't a piece of shit.

enishi said:
And maybe SSBB too
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=sv_vg_2

Pre-order started in Japan yesterday. And it is always no.1 on Amazon.jp overall sales chart (above DQ IV, Winning Eleven 2008, etc.) Though these pre-order trends might not reflect real sales number...

At this point, if Super Mario galaxy hasn't succeed as many hoped, I don't see why Smash bros. should. It an hardcore game. The only thing different is that it is multiplayer-oriented and this could (will) change its sales for the better. But I think that its sales still will be lower then Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Stumpokapow said:
If you want, feel free to PM me a zip with the jpgraph source and I can add or remove functionality for you... or just give me a version number and I'll download it myself. I work on this stuff professionally.
Ha, thanks for the offer. I'm really not sure that intermittent marks are as good as the alternatives, as they neither tell you exactly where the actual data points are, or give you an unobstructed view of the line. However, since you're willing to actually code the thing in, I decided to doublecheck that it wasn't possible. Turns out it's not in there, but I made a workaround; I moved the marks onto a separate, invisible line that gets its data only from every Nth entry of the regular line, as set by the Mark Interval.

DS Famous Five, mark interval 1
DS Famous Five, mark interval 2
DS Famous Five, mark interval 3
DS Famous Five, mark interval 4
DS Famous Five, mark interval 5
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
At this point, if Super Mario galaxy hasn't succeed as many hoped, I don't see why Smash bros. should.
SMG isn't (yet) matching SMS's sales even with more than double the userbase, but it's not far behind. SSBB, though, will have quadruple-quintuple the userbase SSBM did when it was still pretty hot in the weeklies.

spwolf

battleMAUS said:
the R & C and CV numbers are depressing. both will be out of the top 10 by next week. well there goes my hopes of another castlevania remake for psp. =(

lets put things into perspective, first shipment for CV was for 20k units and has been sold out in week 1.

Which means they got more sales than they thought they will.

Eteric Rice

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
At this point, if Super Mario galaxy hasn't succeed as many hoped, I don't see why Smash bros. should. It an hardcore game. The only thing different is that it is multiplayer-oriented and this could (will) change its sales for the better. But I think that its sales still will be lower then Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Its hard to say, really. If what Iwata says is true and they're trying to focus on the core gamer, some more hardcore games before Smash might draw in a nice sized player base for it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Well, I think the argument against that is 3d Mario games have been on a downward trend, while the Smash series is on an upwards trend.

Guess we'll see

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
schuelma said:
Well, I think the argument against that is 3d Mario games have been on a downward trend, while the Smash series is on an upwards trend.

Guess we'll see

Oh noes, Smash Bros Brawl non-game status?

schuelma said:

Guess we'll see
Not that either, though. Based on N64 and GCN performance both went down, but SSB less so.

SM64: 1.64 million
SMS: 0.79 million

SSB: 1.63 million
SSBM: 1.35 million

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Not that either, though. Based on N64 and GCN performance both went down, but SSB less so.

SM64: 1.64 million
SMS: 0.79 million

SSB: 1.63 million
SSBM: 1.35 million

Yeah, for some reason I thought SSBM actually was an increase.

schuelma said:
Yeah, for some reason I thought SSBM actually was an increase.
Easy to think. Worldwide it was an increase, and even in Japan the series went from being the close #3 N64 game to the distant #1 GCN game.

If those figures are correct, I think Sony will be a bit disappointed. It's not the greatest of boosts for what has been a pretty extensive roll out of new colours, price cut & the release of one of its biggest releases in Japan to date. Had it risen to, say, 80k there'd have been hopes that it might have settled long-term on a level above/on par with Wii, but as it is it'll be back to normal within a few weeks.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Brawl will become the best seller for the franchise

womfalcs3

Banned
TheDrowningMan said:
If those figures are correct, I think Sony will be a bit disappointed. It's not the greatest of boosts for what has been a pretty extensive roll out of new colours, price cut & the release of one of its biggest releases in Japan to date. Had it risen to, say, 80k there'd have been hopes that it might have settled long-term on a level above/on par with Wii, but as it is it'll be back to normal within a few weeks.

I read it was 50% above analytical expectation. I don't think they're disappointed.

Grecco

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Smash was more popular than Sunshine, and is adding online and third party characters, and eventually someone from Square Enix as well. They arent comparable

noonche

Grecco said:
Smash was more popular than Sunshine, and is adding online and third party characters, and eventually someone from Square Enix as well. They arent comparable

I don't think anyone is saying that Brawl will sell less than Galaxy. The issue is wether or not people feel it will sell better than Melee. That Galaxy is a substantial improvement over Sunshine appears to be nearly universal, yet this is not reflected in its sales. Similarly, Brawl appears as if it will be a marked improvement over Melee, why should we expect sales to improve over Melee?

alske said:
I don't think anyone is saying that Brawl will sell less than Galaxy. The issue is wether or not people feel it will sell better than Melee. That Galaxy is a substantial improvement over Sunshine appears to be nearly universal, yet this is not reflected in its sales. Similarly, Brawl appears as if it will be a marked improvement over Melee, why should we expect sales to improve over Melee?

That's the point. Thanks.

Grecco

alske said:

I fully expect Brawl to improve sales wise over melee because of the adition of third party characters and online.

GDGF

Soothsayer
alske said:

Even if they don't improve over Melee, Melee had fantastic, fantastic sales.

(although I do believe Brawls sales will be an improvement)

justjohn said:
:lol well to be fair he wasnt the only one off. i remember some ninty fans predicting massive lines for galaxy and nationwide sellout of the wii. although i'm sure that will definetely happen when wiifit drops.
Wasn't me I'm sure.

Zelda failing to sell past a certain point, and then subsequently being outpaced by Phantom Hourglass led me to belive that the Core Nintendo demo moved full force to the DS.

Mario's sales have kind of just reaffirmed my suspicions. As of right now in Japan the Wii has a very very small group of core gamers. But plenty of everybody else. That might let it ride to insane heights, but Core games might become few and far between because of it.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What? You're confusing "deceptive depth" with "hardcore game".

You do not sell seven million copies to the hardcore.

Xeke

Banned
Dante said:
You were singing such a similar tune in the MC thread three weeks ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8391032&postcount=630

Seems your estimates were a bit off.

Shit happens.

How could I have known that Japan hates great games so much? Guess thats why they were estimates, not predictions of the future. Though I'm sure you always get every prediction right so my hat is off to you.

And I don't mean the numbers I mean the thread will get lost in the NPD crazyness.

Tideas

Banned
Xeke said:
Shit happens.

How could I have known that Japan hates great games so much?

And I don't mean the numbers I mean the thread will get lost in the NPD crazyness.

Maybe they don't hate great game...but the people that bought the Wii, only bought it for Wiisport?

That's the risk with casuals. They'll abandon you as you as they find you. Their buying pattern does not follow the normal flow of video game goods.

Xeke

Banned
Tideas said:
Maybe they don't hate great game...but the people that bought the Wii, only bought it for Wiisport?

That's the risk with casuals. They'll abandon you as you as they find you. Their buying pattern does not follow the normal flow of video game goods.

If the Galaxy bump were anywhere near the gundabump % jump then the Wii would be doing great. It's truly surprising to me that there are so few people in Japan willing to spend $200 on a Wii to play one of Nintendo's best games ever.

Dante

Xeke said:
Shit happens.

How could I have known that Japan hates great games so much? Guess thats why they were estimates, not predictions of the future. Though I'm sure you always get every prediction right so my hat is off to you.

Just don't laugh us out of the Media Create sales so fast as it seems nobody is an "expert" and can predict exactly what gonna sell in any given territory.

Xeke

Banned
Dante said:
Just don't laugh us out of the Media Create sales so fast as it seems nobody is an "expert" and can predict exactly what gonna sell in any given territory.

I wasn't aware I was laughing at anyone and I still think the combo of SMG and Wii-fit will cause sellouts.

Tideas said:

If we discount Wii Sports and Wii Play entirely, the average Japanese Wii owner has nearly as many games as the average Japanese PS3 owner.
justjohn said:
so anyone thinks we'll see a 3d mario on the ds? in the form of galaxy?
It's possible. They've talked about the possibility.

Tideas

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If we discount Wii Sports and Wii Play entirely, the average Japanese Wii owner has nearly as many games as the average Japanese PS3 owner.

How did you come to such conclusions?

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:

It's possible. They've talked about the possibility.

Same as if we discount Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros, FF3, and a few dozen more games, the average DS owner has as few games as the average PSP owner. Of course, PSPs piracy situation helps hardware sales significantly and hurts software sales significantly.

I have no idea what's happening with PS3. It has had many notable releases with sales FAR lower than their predecessors. I guess film freaks don't like games that much.

Jiggy

As far as Brawl sales improving on Melee, I'm leaning toward thinking it'll happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't, but these are just the things I've been pondering:

-The Wii audience in general. It seems like people are buying the system mostly for the likes of Wii Sports and Mario Party 8... in other words, multiplayer experiences. If the Wii audience is more focused on multiplayer than the Gamecube audience was, that could help Brawl.

-Subspace Emissary, a fleshed-out co-op action platformer. Because the single-player is worthwhile this time, Brawl has a chance to pull in an audience that Melee could never capture. Also, I'm not sure what level of name recognition Sakurai has in Japan, but if people know he's the creator of the Kirby games--a strong franchise in Japan, selling over a million basically every time without needing multiplayer--then that too could benefit Brawl.

-Online. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl countered the downward trend for its series. When it comes to features that improve sales, the most "major" one a person could point to would probably have to be that these games went online. Maybe Brawl can experience a similar effect.

-Third-party characters. ...At least potentially. I don't know how much Japan likes Snake or Sonic, but there might be other characters added later who they'd love.

alske said:
That Galaxy is a substantial improvement over Sunshine appears to be nearly universal, yet this is not reflected in its sales. Similarly, Brawl appears as if it will be a marked improvement over Melee, why should we expect sales to improve over Melee?
Galaxy is a much more complex game, no denying that much. The gravity mechanics, the amount of things happening on screen at once, the controls, the camera perspective, the powerups... There's a lot more happening in Galaxy than Sunshine. But the question in my mind is whether that's good or bad for sales. I'm 44 stars into Galaxy and it's been pretty easy to me, but I could imagine a person who's new to gaming getting overwhelmed. If I didn't have that background of Mario 64 and Sunshine, playing Galaxy might be like trying to run before I knew how to walk.

Brawl, on the other hand... Even the kinds of people who are as new to video games as anyone can get would be able to understand it right away, and probably have fun mashing buttons in the beginning. Even if it's true that Wii is loaded up on an audience that's pretty new to games, or people who dropped out of games for years and are coming back now, there's not much of a barrier for them.

test_account

XP-39C²
Tideas said:

If Wii has sold 6 million games in total, which 3 million of these are copies of Wii Sports and Wii Play. If PS3 has sold 3 million games in total, if you then take away the 3 million Wii Sports and Wii Play copies, Wii and PS3 will have sold about the same amount of games.

Tideas said:
Here's a thread where Dalthien keeps a pretty up-to-date look on numbers and tie ratios for the current-gen home consoles in Japan. PS3 is at 1.62, Wii at 2.54, and if we subtract the amount that Wii Play/Sports would contribute, Wii is 1.51.

It's probable that the PS3 information is more incomplete than the Wii information, though, since any given game is less likely to show up on the top 30/50/100 lists.

Tideas

Banned
test_account said:
If Wii has sold 6 million games in total, which 3 million of these are copies of Wii Sports and Wii Play. If PS3 has sold 3 million games in total, if you then take away the 3 million Wii Sports and Wii Play copies, Wii and PS3 will have sold about the same amount of games.

And then if you look at the userbase, more PS3 owners own more PS3 games than Wii owners...

Which is why I said, Wii owners bought their Wii for just Wiisport

Top Bottom