• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/08 - 12/14

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
FINALFANTASYDOG said:
I don't know The previous chocobo tales sold 139.944 according to Gamecharts. Even chocobo's dungeon ds sold around 50,000 on total . No clue what has happened to the franchise sales to make it be 10% of what they use to be 2 years ago(or less then 1% of 10 years ago, but at least that has a semi-logical explanation).

2 years ago ? I thought the last games of that series which sold well were those Mysterious Dungeon Games by Chunsoft a decade ago on Psone.

Edit

Oh, i read it wrong...yeah you`re right - but back then also FF main games used to sell over 3 Mil, i think the IP isn`t that strong anymore or at least nor for those kind of spin-offs...

NeonZ

I might be really mistaken, but I think the decreasing Chocobo's sales are due to a lack of connection to Final Fantasy itself.

FF has changed too much, especially visually, but the Chocobo games haven't really, so these modern Chocobo spin offs are barely related to current FF games.

Damn, that sucks about Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. I haven't actually been seeing a whole lot of people play it in the arcades either. I checked out a few arcades around Yokohama and the places that do have the game seem to hide it in the corner and usually have but 2 machines (1 player on each side). BlazBlue seems to be a bit more popular, but nothing seems as popular as Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion right now =( Hopefully the game will catch on soon.

Vinnk

Jonnyram said:
There are at least TV ads which are also shown on the train (Yamanote Line), so it's not that bad. Not seen posters yet.

It's good to know it is getting some advertising in the big city. Seems SEGA forgot about Kyushu. My friend who is a game retailer didn't even know it was out because it wasn't in the monthly packet of posters/flyers/etc that SEGA sends out. I wonder if SEGA even knows they released this.

marvelharvey said:
I picked up Let's Tap today, I couldn't believe the cost! 8900yen? So that's 3000yen for two cardboard boxes? I'll try it out later tonight, hope it was worth it.

8900yen? I had no idea (as I haven't seen a single ad for it) With todays exchange rate (88yen to the Dollar) that's over US$100.

Damn.. I want the game a lot, but I don't know if I want it that much. I was going to pick it up Saturday but I might have to reconsider, I don't have that much free cash this month.

I have the Let's tap song on my iPod playlist and I have the poster I got from SEGA at TGS on my wall. And I still might not buy it due to the price. I think THAT says a lot. If someone like me stops to think twice what about people who don't have anything invested in it?

But they won't thin twice I suppose, because they will never hear about it in the first place.

Sent to double die.

:(

cvxfreak

Come to think of it, didn't Sengoku Basara X bomb too? Capcom's luck at the arcades doesn't seem so hot lately, though I don't know about SFIV yet. Capcom's expecting SFIV to sell over 2M worldwide on the HD systems though.

Vinnk, I am all over Karaoke Joysound Wii. :lol

9,000 yen is an absurd price for Let's Tap, and the apparent lack of advertising is disheartening.

Let's just say I'm a lot less hopeful about its sales potential now... :-(

JoeFenix

Nintendo really needs to find a way to attract core gamers in japan to the Wii. Monster Hunter + DQX are obviously aimed at doing just that but it might be too late at that point. I guess they could try and make a big push when Motion+ comes out but they really need to get the ball rolling.

cw_sasuke

JoeFenix said:
Nintendo really needs to find a way to attract core gamers in japan to the Wii. Monster Hunter + DQX are obviously aimed at doing just that but it might be too late at that point. I guess they could try and make a big push when Motion+ comes out but they really need to get the ball rolling.

Too late when competition sells 10-20 in an average week ? I don`t think so - they also got Senkoku Mosou 3, Next Tales and "smaller" like (Arc Rise Fantasia,Kizuna,LKS, Murasama etc. coming). But yeah on the 1st Party Side Nintendo should bring some bigger core Games developed Inhouse which uses M+ ( like Zelda or a new RPG IP)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cw_sasuke said:
Too late when competition sells 10-20 in an average week ? I don`t think so - they also got Senkoku Mosou 3, Next Tales and "smaller" like (Arc Rise Fantasia,Kizuna,LKS, Murasama etc. coming).

Just cause the competition is failing worse doesnt mean the Wii isnt

Cosmonaut X said:
9,000 yen is an absurd price for Let's Tap, and the apparent lack of advertising is disheartening.

Look at the positive side, we already have the excuses ready.

Btw, thanks to Taiko, Wii matches 360 total of 3rd party games debuting over 100k for the whole year at a grand total of 2. Congratulations, Wii.

JoeFenix

cw_sasuke said:
Too late when competition sells 10-20 in an average week ? I don`t think so - they also got Senkoku Mosou 3, Next Tales and "smaller" like (Arc Rise Fantasia,Kizuna,LKS, Murasama etc. coming). But yeah on the 1st Party Side Nintendo should bring some bigger core Games developed Inhouse which uses M+ ( like Zelda or a new RPG IP)

What I mean by too late is at one point publishers will lose confidence in the platform for those kinds of games and just revert back to handhelds/ps2 only. This is bad for everyone.

cw_sasuke

HK-47 said:
Just cause the competition is failing worse doesnt mean the Wii isnt

That`s exactly what it means... with announcments like DQX, MH Tri and the Next Tales etc. there i no need to worry, that 3rd Partys will ignore the console in the next years. Wii is no Ps2, but their is no reason for 3rd partys not to bring their bigger IPs on wii and following Square and Capcom. I think Wii will be fine 09, even if the 2nd half of this year was kinda...meh.

JoeFenix said:
What I mean by too late is at one point publishers will lose confidence in the platform for those kinds of games and just revert back to handhelds/ps2 only. This is bad for everyone.

Yeah, that`s true. I`ll gues we`ll have to wait and see how those really big 3rd Party Games like MH Tri next year will sell. if they also fail....ouch.

JoeFenix

cw_sasuke said:
Yeah, that`s true. I`ll gues we`ll have to wait and see how those really big 3rd Party Games like MH Tri next year will sell. if they also fail....ouch.

I don't think MH3 and DQX will ''fail'' on a pure sales level but I don't know if they will succeed at creating a market for these lower tier third party offerings. Stuff like Tenchu, Kizuna etc. needs a base of players looking for new games to play. They just don't seem to be there on the Wii right now. I think that this is Nintendo's big achilles heel in the long run.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Btw, thanks to Taiko, Wii matches 360 total of 3rd party games debuting over 100k for the whole year at a grand total of 2. Congratulations, Wii.
Lulz...umm wow. That's horrible.

In comparison, how many do the DS, PSP, PS2 and PS3 have though? Just to get a bigger picture.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Isn't Taiko no Tatsujin bundled with 2 taikos? That's some good value, no surprise it sold well.

cw_sasuke

JoeFenix said:
I don't think MH3 and DQX will ''fail'' on a pure sales level but I don't know if they will succeed at creating a market for these lower tier third party offerings. Stuff like Tenchu, Kizuna etc. needs a base of players looking for new games to play. They just don't seem to be there on the Wii right now. I think that this is Nintendo's big achilles heel in the long run.

Actually i don`t see these kind of lower tier 3rd Party games ever selling well on wii, at least not in Japan. If they bring them over to us/europe i expect decent sales since the wii userbase is just enorm here and wii games sell way better than for example psp software.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Wow, didn`t realise that it was this bad 08 HOLY Shit :eek:

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PS2 - 6
PSP - 6
NDS - 5
PS3 - 5
Thanks (and the PSP number will definitely rise next week, DS, PS2 and PS3 too, maybe). Really shows how grim the third party situation on the Wii is. No excuses, it should be doing a lot better.

Magicpaint said:
Thanks (and the PSP number will definitely rise next week, DS, PS2 and PS3 too, maybe). Really shows how grim the third party situation on the Wii is. No excuses, it should be doing a lot better.
Took me around 50 tries to get each query rolling but finally...
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1139
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1147

I'm sorry in advance JJS for using 100 queryids, didn't use SQL in a while :lol

EDIT: Just noticed my query would make a mistake if a title did >100k on any week but didn't in the first one. Thankfully that hasn't happened this year :p

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

EDIT: Just noticed my query would make a mistake if a title did >100k on any week but didn't in the first one. Thankfully that hasn't happened this year :p

What is the Rank?

http://homepage3.nifty.com/TAKU64/rank2008.htm
This is FamiRank2008 Software > 100K

__. [NDS] Spectrobes: Beyond the Portals (Disney) - 3,900 / NEW

failed a second time to cash in the PKMN craze

__. [WII] Samba de Amigo (Sega) - 1,600 / NEW
__. [NDS] Elebits: Adventures of Kai & Zero (Konami) - 1,500 / NEW

pfft
Anyone tried Elebits?

__. [PS3] Mirror's Edge (EA) - 8,300 / NEW
__. [360] Mirror's Edge (EA) - 4,300 / NEW
__. [360] Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts (Microsoft) - 1,900 / NEW

So a lot of Japanese games aren't released in NA/EU because they won't sell, yet these are released in Japan?

Spiegel

Liabe Brave said:
Didn't SE say that the initial shipment was 550k? If so, I guess you're going to get a huge disappointment.

Well then

1rst day = 380k
1rst week = 540k

t3nmilez said:
What? Where does it say out of stock? It's available, I don't think I've ever seen a recent game sell out at Amazon.

Amazon didn't have stock when I posted that.

Re. Famitsu numbers

21. [PSP] Warriors Orochi 2 (Koei) - 16,000 / 81,000

It's holding better than the first. 100k+ is a lock

23. [PSP] Kidou Senshi Gundam: Gundam vs. Gundam (Bandai Namco) - 15,000 / 331,000
Good sales. Best selling gundam on the psp by far

25. [PSP] Kenka Banchou 3: Zenkoku Seiha (Spike) - 14,000 / 84,000
Spike must be pleased.

26. [NDS] Inazuma Eleven (Level 5) - 13,000 / 177,000

This thing doesn't stop selling.

[PSP] Zwei!! (Falcom) - 7,700 / NEW

Selling ~like the ps2 version did in 2004. Badly

And Wii Music... it's in the top 30 this week

Didn't TvC get released in the arcade less than a month before the Wii release? It wouldn't have the time to gain a big enough fanbase for the console port.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

I fully agree that in general 3rd party sales on Wii just aren't very healthy. That said, I don't know if I can think of another 3rd party release this year that reasonably should have been expected to do 100K first week. Maybe Tenchu 4, if we go by how the series did on PS2?

I think where the problem lies is in the games that should be opening at 50K and open at 18K, like Rune Factory.

schuelma said:
I fully agree that in general 3rd party sales on Wii just aren't very healthy. That said, I don't know if I can think of another 3rd party release this year that reasonably should have been expected to do 100K first week. Maybe Tenchu 4, if we go by how the series did on PS2?

I think where the problem lies is in the games that should be opening at 50K and open at 18K, like Rune Factory.
Well, its a statistic, there isn't much difference between debuting at 90k or 100k to say something, PSP has 3 titles on that margin for example, but the point is those that did, not those that should have, those that nearly did/didn't or those that weren't supposed to do it. Basically clusterfuck of different opinions would be voiced. Moot statistic is just a moot statistic.

If you ask me though, well, I'd say series like Naruto (EX 3), Tenchu (4), Shiren (3) or Pawapuro (15) could have had >100k debuts if their performance on their previous platforms would have been similar on Wii.

All-Time Top15 Publisher in Japan - Update (I've added 273 games since the last breakdown).

Total number of games: 5.175
Total number of units: 830.934.052
Average: 160.567

Number of games / Publisher / Units total / Average / Total market share
Code:
406x Nintendo		270.256.095		665.655		32,52%
538x Konami		64.439.032		119.775		 7,76%
96x  Square		52.886.188		550.898		 6,37%
263x Capcom		49.110.954		186.734		 5,91%
267x SCE		46.568.612		174.414		 5,60%
277x Bandai		37.561.143		135.600		 4,52%
48x  Enix		35.089.160		731.024		 4,22%
319x Sega		34.947.750		109.554		 4,21%
154x Namco		31.402.238		203.911		 3,78%
113x Square Enix	29.365.005		259.867		 3,53%
183x Bandai Namco	18.718.916		102.289		 2,25%
121x Banpresto		17.453.743		144.246		 2,10%
175x Koei		17.402.579		99.443		 2,09%
111x Hudson		17.331.051		156.136		 2,09%
64x  Tecmo		6.076.968		94.953		 0,73%

For Comparison the last update: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13814552&postcount=313

Vinnk

cvxfreak said:
Vinnk, I am all over Karaoke Joysound Wii. :lol

That game is great. I had a blast with it at TGS, the sheer number of songs available is amazing. Like 30,000 or some crazy number like that. If I lived in America I would buy it. But I live really close to a real Karaoke box that I can go to and my neighbors go to sleep early so it's not a great game for me to play at home.

But if the situation was different, I would be all over this one.

I am not sure how this one will do in Japan just due to the low number of people using their Wii online. (though it does have a number of built-in songs). I'd say it will probably sell on par with other home Karaoke game (read: not great, but not Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts)

PantherLotus said:
This makes me think of an interesting but potentially impossible addition to garaph: genre. You'd probably have to come up with a limited set of genres, though. RPG, Action, Adventure, Fighter, Puzzle, Non-Game. Or something.
Famitsu lists a genre, so it's something that could be fairly easily integrated for at least most new games. However, when setting this stuff up I decided to stick with the facts and leave out Famitsu's version of how to sort games. I suppose game groups could be used to cover some of the same ground. Have a "2D fighter" group or whatever.
Hive said:
I know the reason, but it's pretty cool to see it still going strong after 4 years~ ^^
It is a cool and leggy game, buuut it's just past three now. DS in general is just past four.
JKBii said:
I am glad that it's failing because it means Miyamoto will go back to the drawing board and make a great Wii Music 2.
JKBii said:
We will have to wait more time to know whether the game has the same selling power of other Wii branded titles, but as someone who expected more out of Wii Music, I'm glad the market seems to be pushing Nintendo to provide more for Wii Music 2.
What would you really expect in terms of "more" and "go[ing] back to the drawing board" for an experience that's still similar enough to share the same name?
cw_sasuke said:
Oh, i read it wrong...yeah you`re right - but back then also FF main games used to sell over 3 Mil, i think the IP isn`t that strong anymore or at least nor for those kind of spin-offs...
It does seem that the time between FF VII and VIII was a peak for the series, and a time for a limited number of spinoffs (FF Tactics, Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon) to really hit it big.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Bound to happen. :) Until it starts getting into hundreds of thousands or something, I don't imagine there's any trouble.

CiSTM

Banned
Good numbers for Taiko no Tatsujin. I played it at friends place and that game was a blast. I usually don't like rhythm games but this was something else. So much fun !

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Just to further this, 2008 released 3rd party game LTDs > 100k.

DS 17
PS2 11
PS3 9
PSP 11
Wii 4
X360 2

http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1157
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1155

Tiktaalik

Cosmonaut X said:

Well you see that cardboard box is made of PREMIUM cardboard. I'm sure you can understand now the premium price point.

*peels out in Ferrari*

http://www.cyberfront.co.jp/title/inugaisha/index.html
inu06.jpg
inu09.jpg

Dog Company,

If Nintendo was publishing this game it would be a million seller without fail.

It has everything you could possibly hope for for a perfect storm in sales data. Sales Shop Simulation while raising your dogs at the same time Unfortunately it's a third party game, Released March 26. Taking Bets on sales now. Seeing how well third party games are doing lately I'm going with 30,000-35,000.

Sage00 said:
Just to further this, 2008 released 3rd party game LTDs > 100k.

DS 17
PS2 11
PS3 9
PSP 11
Wii 4
X360 2

http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1157
http://garaph.info/sqldirect.php?queryid=1155

Not sure what's wrong with your data, but X-box 360 is 3. Last Remnant, Infinite Discovery and tales of Vesperia.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
*Updated*

MC-THREAD-HARDWARE-TITLE.png

Code:
[B][U]Hardware | This Week | Last Week | Last 4 Weeks |    YTD    |    LTD    [/U][/B]
DS+      |   204,813 |   138,800 |      565,072 | 3,447,039 | 24,620,093
PSP      |    71,540 |    54,800 |      242,656 | 3,428,322 | 11,093,399
WII      |    91,641 |    56,700 |      233,487 | 2,596,804 |  7,212,943
PS3      |    33,688 |    30,300 |      116,402 |   895,663 |  2,537,339
360      |    11,797 |    10,000 |       48,694 |   296,184 |    804,629
PS2      |     6,659 |     5,700 |       23,268 |   453,380 | 21,380,420

DSi      |   173,693 |    12,700 |      476,421 |   838,570 |    838,570

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
HK-47 said:
Why hello there MP 8!

Don't forget to say hi to Smash, visiting from earlier this year. Speaking of which, Wii having 15 in the top 50 says quite a bit, doesn't it? Seeing all the Nintendo games rise up shows that new people are plunging in for Wii hardware purchases for the first time, which is reflected by the data.

Obvious, I know, but interesting to see which games new hardware owners are purchasing.

Top Bottom