• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/08 - 12/14

Perdew

duckroll said:
We're still missing Let's Tap and Bleach right?

I'm hoping Let's Tap pulls something decent, but I'm kind of secretly hoping Bleach bombs hard. I want Treasure to get off of that license, 3 games is 2 too many for that talent. Of course, Sin and Punishment 2 would then have to sell a ton to compensate!

RpgN

Case said:
Nice. I guess game quality really does matter.

But but Innocence is a good game :( Fans just weren't able to recover from Tempest, similar to DMC2...DMC3 could have sold better...

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Crisis Core also had the limited first run of the PSP Slim & Lite, so it may have been able to go higher that first week if more of the PSP-2000s were available. Dissidia has going for it that it seems to be more of a fighter than an RPG, so maybe it'll have better legs than RPGs usually do. If it can cross 500K for the first week, 1 million may be doable. :)

That would be great

Does it say how many of those Dissidia sales were of the bundle?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
RpgN said:
Interesting first day sales this time :)

FF Dissidia is doing just as expected, similar to FFVIICC. Though I don't see it reaching the million figure that easily unless it gets huge legs. Psp games aren't known for that, but who knows?
Euhmmzzz Monster Hunter has insane legs ^^

RpgN

Kingsora said:
Euhmmzzz Monster Hunter has insane legs ^^

It isn't a scale each game can achieve on the psp. It might happen more often now but you can't be sure.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
RpgN said:
It isn't a scale each game can achieve on the psp. It might happen more often now but you can't be sure.
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Dissidia has also some insane legs thanks to the multiplayer modes (CC didn't have that)

enishi

RpgN said:
ToH is doing better than the past ds games but where are the shipment figures? I wonder what Namco expected themselves. And lol at the CGI version. I guess I'll get that knowing it will drop in price quickly.

According to Sinobi blog 1 month ago, shipment for anime version is 200k and cgi version 50k
But it was a very early number, maybe the final shipment has been changed.

Lightning

Banned
duckroll said:
Gundam Musou (PS2) - 77k
Gundam Musou 2 (PS2) - 50k

Gundam Musou (PS3) - 117k
Gundam Musou 2 (PS3) - 106k

Gundam Musou (360) - 3k
Gundam Musou 2 (360) - 14k
What this is not showing is release dates. Gundam Musou was a quite lengthy PS3 timed exclusive if I remember correctly.

jesusraz

RpgN said:
ToH is doing better than the past ds games but where are the shipment figures? I wonder what Namco expected themselves. And lol at the CGI version. I guess I'll get that knowing it will drop in price quickly.
400,000 units in total. If it can reach 175,000 by the time the new chart hits, chances are it could trundle along nicely as the big sales period hits. Perhaps the good word-of-mouth from Innocence really did help after all...

Suikoden's start is actually better than I expected, considering the line-up it was against this week.

Lightning said:
What this is not showing is release dates. Gundam Musou was a quite lengthy PS3 timed exclusive if I remember correctly.

Yep. Gundam Musou came out in March 2007 on the PS3. The 360 and PS2 versions came out much later.

RpgN

enishi said:
According to Sinobi blog 1 month ago, shipment for anime version is 200k and cgi version 50k
But it was a very early number, maybe the final shipment has been changed.

Thanks! With jesusraz (updated?) shipment numbers, it looks like it will do just fine :D

jesusraz, I think ToI is helping here. I'm sure ToH will do better too, but I wonder if the Tales franchise will get sales close to their predecessors again. If ToH manages to sell close to its full shipment, it's a very good start.

And I agree about Suikoden DS, I seriously thought it was going to bomb badly. I can't wait to see how this will sell in the end.

Wow next week is going to be considerably up compared to the same week last year, judging by the first day numbers.

Also, Mario Party DS is one year and a few days old and it charted 43 this week.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Suikoden actually seemed to open well, considering its spinoff nature, new platform, and different approach. Cool. Konami deserved it.

How did Tactics open, and 4/5?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
distantmantra said:
Yep. Gundam Musou came out in March 2007 on the PS3. The 360 and PS2 versions came out much later.

Ps2 sku of 1 and 2 were never released outside Japan, right? :-/

bttb said:
First Day Sales (12/18)

[PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 350k

[PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 106k
[PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 50k
[360] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 14k

[NDS] Tales of Hearts: Anime Movie Edition (Bandai Namco) - 107k
[NDS] Tales of Hearts: CG Movie Edition (Bandai Namco) - 14k

[PS2] Fate/Unlimited Codes SP-Box (Capcom) - 32k
[PS2] Fate/Unlimited Codes (Capcom) - 19k
[NDS] Gensou Suikoden Tierkreis (Konami) - 40k
[360] Fable II (Microsoft) - 30k
[NDS] Ragnarok Online DS (GungHo) - 28k

[NDS] Momotarou Dentetsu: 20th Anniversary (Hudson) - 28k
[WII] Karaoke Joysound Wii (Hudson) - 24k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10180223526.html

Wow....WOW.

duckroll said:
Gundam Musou (PS3) - 117k
Gundam Musou (360) - 3k

Gundam Musou 2 (PS3) - 106k
Gundam Musou 2 (360) - 14k
So I guess what you're saying is that there are exactly 120,000 Japanese people who will buy a Gundam Musou game on day one. I suppose when one dies, another is elected to take his place in this Grand Club.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm impressed by ToH's number, considering lots of people thought it was being sent to die against Dissidia, and one scenario I could think of for people purchasing the CGI over the anime would be that the store they went to was out of the anime, so they bit the bullet and got the other version. Curious what ToH and Dissidia will do the rest of the week. I'm thinking close to 500 k for Dissidia and maybe 175 total for ToH.

Oh, and Suikoden did much better than I thought it'd do being out the same week as Dissidia and ToH.

Liabe Brave said:
So I guess what you're saying is that there are exactly 120,000 Japanese people who will buy a Gundam Musou game on day one. I suppose when one dies, another is elected to take his place in this Grand Club.

And what you're saying is that 11k jumped ship from PS3 to 360... Or that 11k PS3 owners died, and all the replacements were 360 owners.

cvxfreak

I don't think Dissidia can break a million. It might be high for a week or two, but then after the new years I can't see it gaining that many sales. It'll need FFIII-like legs for that.

bttb said:
First Day Sales (12/18)

[PSP] Dissidia Final Fantasy (Square Enix) - 350k

[PS3] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 106k
[PS2] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 50k
[360] Gundam Musou 2 (Bandai Namco) - 14k

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10180223526.html

Pretty good Dissidia numbers. This game deserves to become a monster of MHP2G proportions. Hopefully it will have really long legs.

LOL worthy 360 Musou2 sales. Because ALL of the advertisements I have seen for this game were for the 360 version. Plastered all over Tokyo right now are MS cosponsored 360 Musou ads.

PuppetMaster said:
Pretty good Dissidia numbers. This game deserves to become a monster of MHP2G proportions. Hopefully it will have really long legs.

LOL worthy 360 Musou2 sales. Because ALL of the advertisements I have seen for this game were for the 360 version. Plastered all over Tokyo right now are MS cosponsored 360 Musou ads.

95% of the GM2 commercials I've seen on Japanese TV are PS3-centric.

Are copies purchased through foreign based importers counted in sales numbers? I've always been curious as to how many copies of games are imported by people in Europe and North America...

cvxfreak said:
It'll need FFIII-like legs for that.

Dissidia should have much better legs than comparable titles like Crisis Core since it's focused around multiplay and therefore (assuming people are enjoying it) they won't likely sell it back immediately.

Based on the latest Famitsu hardware numbers...
PSP comparisons: After 209 weeks, PSP is where PS2 was at 156.6 weeks (February 27, 2003), where DS was at 92.7 weeks (September 8, 2006), and where GBA was at 142.2 weeks (December 8, 2003).

X360 comparisons: After 157 weeks, X360 is where GCN was at 15.2 weeks (December 25, 2001), where PS3 was at 20.9 weeks (April 1, 2007), and where Wii was at 4.2 weeks (December 25, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: After 109 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 25.0 weeks (August 20, 2000), where PSP was at 55.0 weeks (December 25, 2005), where GCN was at 113.0 weeks (November 9, 2003), and where Wii was at 26.8 weeks (June 1, 2007).

Wii comparisons: After 106 weeks, Wii is where GBA was at 91.4 weeks (December 18, 2002), where DS was at 71.9 weeks (April 15, 2006), where PS2 was at 102.5 weeks (February 13, 2002), and where PSP was at 157.4 weeks (December 12, 2007).

DSi comparisons: After 6 weeks, DSi is where GBASP was at 7.6 weeks (April 3, 2003), where DSL was at 5.7 weeks (April 7, 2006), and has passed GBM's lifetime total.

Based on the latest Media Create hardware numbers...
DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 74.1 / 25.9 bring total shares to 69.1 / 30.9. This is actually kinda notable, because as far as the view of rounding to tenths of percents go, this is the first time overall marketshare has visibly moved in DS's direction since August 2007. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 190.0 weeks (August 5, 2012).

X360 vs PS3: Weekly shares of 25.9 / 74.1 bring total shares to 24.1 / 75.9. If PS3 stopped selling and X360 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 147.0 weeks (October 9, 2011).

PSP vs Wii: At this week's rates, Wii catches PSP in 189.9 weeks (August 5, 2012). If PSP stopped selling and Wii continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 41.7 weeks (October 2, 2009).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 26.9 / 73.1 bring total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 138.8 weeks (August 13, 2011).

Week over week it seems like the better you were doing last week, the greater your increase this week.
X360

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
i think those ToH numbers are pretty good, especially considering its predecessors and what it went up against. i hope namco still makes portables Tales even with Wii as the "mothership system". since Hearts did well, maybe next we can have a portable Team Symphonia/Fujishima Tales? :D

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Japan: Holiday Console Sales Down 34% From 2007
Japan - This is typically the one time per year that console manufacturers can look forward to significantly increased hardware sales, but 2008's holiday season in Japan has been a disappointment (so far).

Combined, all three have seen a 33.76% drop in sales in similar time periods* from 2008 compared to 2007 holiday seasons.

Sony has seen the biggest drop, selling 200k PS3s in the same time it sold 340k last year, a 40.68% drop. Nintendo has also seen a significant drop in sales, selling 360k Wii systems compared to 576k in 2007, 37.76% less than 2007 totals.

The lone bright spot isn't much of a consolation prize, though. Microsoft has sold 91k units in 2008 compared to 68k in 2007, both numbers considerably lower than its competitors. Still, small victories that show growth in a difficult territory have to be an encouraging sign to Microsoft.

MC-THREAD-CHARTS.png

mc-seasonal-console-comparison-107.png

tn_mc-2-consoles-weekly-pie-107.png
tn_mc-3-consoles-weekly-line-107.png
tn_mc-4-consoles-LTDs-107.png

tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-line-107.png
tn_mc-5-consoles-markeshare-pie-107.png
tn_mc-6-consoles-marketshare-line-107.png

tn_mc-7-consoles-YOY2-weekly-107.png
tn_mc-7-consoles-YOY-weekly-107.png
tn_mc-8-consoles-YOY-YTD-107.png

full article and charts @ Chart Get!

Anyone have suggestions for what the deal is with Wii's performance? In the U.S. they just had a record November (and I'd put money on them having a record December as well). So why has Japan not followed suit? Every report says it isn't supply issues, and the game library is no worse there than in the U.S., so why the discrepancy?

I don't think you can easily leverage the PS3's downturn versus last year to make it simply a general trend, either. For me, PS3's drop is easy to explain: this is the new Gamecube, entering that long twilight of distant second where only the occasional flash of a major release brightens the picture. And even if that's not the case, PS3 is "only" down 20%; the Wii is down more than 27%! Is this an indication that there's a sales cap after all, and Nintendo hasn't grown the market as much as thought? Or are there other factors?

EDarkness

Liabe Brave said:
Anyone have suggestions for what the deal is with Wii's performance? In the U.S. they just had a record November (and I'd put money on them having a record December as well). So why has Japan not followed suit? Every report says it isn't supply issues, and the game library is no worse there than in the U.S., so why the discrepancy?

I don't think you can easily leverage the PS3's downturn versus last year to make it simply a general trend, either. For me, PS3's drop is easy to explain: this is the new Gamecube, entering that long twilight of distant second where only the occasional flash of a major release brightens the picture. And even if that's not the case, PS3 is "only" down 20%; the Wii is down more than 27%! Is this an indication that there's a sales cap after all, and Nintendo hasn't grown the market as much as thought? Or are there other factors?

I've been wondering this myself. I don't know if it means anything, but all of my students say the Wii has bad games. Though, the Dragon Quest X announcement does have their attention.

I'm sure one could try to go further back and explain the whys of this, but portables haven't taken such a dominating role in the market in the US, which leaves more of the pie for a strong console to eat. The market has grown, but not in the same way in every region. In Japan Wii is performing PS2-like while DS is shooting beyond. In the US DS is performing PS2-like while Wii is shooting beyond.

swerve

Liabe Brave said:

the Wii is down more than 27%! Is this an indication that there's a sales cap after all, and Nintendo hasn't grown the market as much as thought? Or are there other factors?

People love their portables now. PSP is the new PS2, not the Wii. Yet. So Nintendo has some work to do. But I'm sure they're doing it. If they were worried they'd release different colours, drop the price, etc. They're still building users at a respectable rate.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
swerve said:
People love their portables now. PSP is the new PS2, not the Wii. Yet. So Nintendo has some work to do. But I'm sure they're doing it. If they were worried they'd release different colours, drop the price, etc. They're still building users at a respectable rate.

Sure.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I've been wondering this too. The Wii library is quite a bit better in Japan, and has huge games down the pipe (I mean, Monster Hunter 3? Dragon Quest X? Yeah), and yet. It must really be the DS gobbling up the market, I don't see what else.

I wonder what Monster Hunter 3 will do for the system in 2009. DQ is always huge on whatever platform it comes out, but we have yet to see if MH can do on the PS2's successor what it's been doing to the PSP.

Weisheit

swerve said:
......Am I missing something?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kilrogg said:
I've been wondering this too. The Wii library is quite a bit better in Japan, and has huge games down the pipe (I mean, Monster Hunter 3? Dragon Quest X? Yeah), and yet. It must really be the DS gobbling up the market, I don't see what else.

I wonder what Monster Hunter 3 will do for the system in 2009. DQ is always huge on whatever platform it comes out, but we have yet to see if MH can do on the PS2's successor what it's been doing to the PSP.

US Home-console market is way bigger than the japanese one, where handhelds (especially the DS) are ownin the market.

swerve

Weisheit said:
......Am I missing something?

Go to a Japanese game store. Look at the people browsing PSP games. They are the people who up until two years ago, were browsing the PS2 aisles.

It's not a complete take-over, but the core PS2 audience is now the core PSP audience. Look at PSP's weekly sales and it all stands up. It's the new PS2. It's where PlayStation gamers went. Nintendo still has a long way to go to get them on Wii.

Weisheit

swerve said:
Go to a Japanese game store. Look at the people browsing PSP games. They are the people who up until two years ago, were browsing the PS2 aisles.

It's not a complete take-over, but the core PS2 audience is now the core PSP audience. Look at PSP's weekly sales and it all stands up. It's the new PS2. It's where PlayStation gamers went.
:lol :lol

SW sales, something something...

swerve

RJT said:
Isn't that uh... kinda valid for Wii?

Sure, and I'm not denying that Wii can become the new PS2 with things like DQ X and MH3.

But currently, the PlayStation gamer is interested in PSP. Wii sales aren't as amazing as they could have been because PSP is taking a lot of the potential customers right now.

Just sharing how I see it. Sorry if it's completely wrong.

freddy

Banned
swerve said:
My, oh fucking my. My grandfather was right.

Top Bottom