• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/17 - 12/23 2007

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Nintendo took the crown last week for pre-Christmas console sales in Japan, with sales of Wiis and DS Lites higher than all the others combined.

The DS Lite topped the chart - again - with unit shipments totalling 279,551 consoles for the week to 23 December 2007, according to Japan's Media Create organisation. As you can see from the chart below, the console's week-on-week sales growth continues unabated.

Japanese Consoles Sales

jap_cons_1.png

Ditto the Wii, with weekly sales of 232,907 units. For the last four weeks, the total rises to 593,286, well behind the DS Lite's 794,529 but ahead of the PSP's 522,521 sales. Sony's handheld notched up sales of 171,804 units last week, down on the previous seven-day period's tally.

PS3 sales were down to, to 58,167 units. Japanese consumers aren't taking it to the their hearts. Gamers are, however, suggested by the steady weekly sales, mirrored in the continuing demand for the Xbox 360 and the PS2, which racked up weekly sales of 7908 and 20,391, respectively.

Four-week sales totals for the PS3, PS2 and 360 are 197,102; 64,106; and 31,977, respectively.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/12/30/japan_consoles_sales/

Terrell

If that chart is to be believed... PS3 and PSP sales DECREASED during this peaking week of Japan's holiday shopping season? Hmmmmm.....

Dalthien

JoshuaJSlone said:
It also makes it appear as if X360 has more games released for it than Wii or PS3, since the lesser-performing PS3/Wii games we just don't see, and thus they don't get put into the database. Even for the PS3/Wii games that are in the database, the lesser-performing ones are more likely to drop off after a week and not receive further updates for a long time if ever, so it makes X360 appear unusually strong in the third-party comparison... well, at least the part you scroll down to see.
No offense meant at all Joshua (seriously, your data collection and presentation is absolutely wonderful and greatly appreciated), but this is why Rock_Man and myself keep the charts that we keep here (LINK).

With the PS3 LTD numbers released Nov 11, and the Wii LTDs released Dec 2 by Media Create, along with the Top 50 X360 LTD just released by Famitsu in addition to the monthly charts, we have fairly complete data available for all 3 systems. By excluding MC data, you eliminate a whole bunch of games from your list, and you leave many games needlessly stuck with outdated data. And there really isn't any reason to exclude either tracker since there is no reason to believe that one tracker is any better than the other. Undoubtedly, MC is more accurate for some titles, and Famitsu for others, but we have no way of knowing which is which.

For example, you have 152 3rd-party titles listed, but by adding in MC data, we have 211 titles tracked, and it is actually even more than that because we don't count the Platinum and Best Price releases as separate titles. The Top 500 chart at the end of the year will help somewhat, but many of the lesser-selling titles will still be left unaccounted for.

Just a suggestion if you want to clear up some of the discrepancies about the missing data for Wii and PS3 that you were worried about.

Terrell said:
If that chart is to be believed... PS3 and PSP sales DECREASED during this peaking week of Japan's holiday shopping season? Hmmmmm.....

That's because it did. ;)

Hardware - This Week | Last Week

PS3 - 58,167 | 63,720
PSP - 171,804 | 184,610

When I saw that graph, I thought

DS going strong
Wii going strong
-but tangled up with the-
PSP, which is strong, but inconsistent
PS3 is flailing about
PS2 is starting to die
-but still humping the-
360, which is dead

Terrell

nextgeneration said:
That's because it did. ;)

Hardware - This Week | Last Week

PS3 - 58,167 | 63,720
PSP - 171,804 | 184,610
But... I'm sorry, I've seen holiday numbers multiple times now. The only time that holiday sales go DOWN is due to shortages. Even consoles with no major mainstream success haven'ttaken a holiday sales dip like that. To quote Keanu Reeves: "... whoa."

Terrell said:
But... I'm sorry, I've seen holiday numbers multiple times now. The only time that holiday sales go DOWN is due to shortages. Even consoles with no major mainstream success haven'ttaken a holiday sales dip like that. To quote Keanu Reeves: "... whoa."

Yeah, this is especially troubling, specifically for PS3. For PSP, well, nobody buys the software, so it doesn't matter. ;)

I made another post that's sort of related to this earlier in the thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9090603&postcount=429

Honestly hw sales dropping during december are not a good sign, not in particular for PSP, which had sold very well since September and new model launch and considering sw is not selling, a sale contraction could be normal, but for PS3 is really negative, especially just after a price drop and a new color made one month ago...

Terrell said:

They're niche products compared to Nintendo's, particularly the PS3....And the thing with the PSP is that it's not really seen as a console anywhere, hence the abysmal software sales. It's more of a media device than anything else. So it stands to reason that they wouldn't necessarily follow the same sales patterns as 'proper' gaming consoles.

Arde5643

TheDrowningMan said:
They're niche products compared to Nintendo's, particularly the PS3....And the thing with the PSP is that it's not really seen as a console anywhere, hence the abysmal software sales. It's more of a media device than anything else. So it stands to reason that they wouldn't necessarily follow the same sales patterns as 'proper' gaming consoles.
Those are some really negative stigmas you attached to both PS3 and PSP.

I think it's more of PS3 consumers in the same group as 360 consumers, whereas Nintendo's combine both groups.
In that sense, the 1 year headstart 360 had really helped in cutting down consumers for the PS3.
Basically, unless PS3 can get a better image than 360 as a game console, it would be having trouble in all its generation life.

Kinda agreed on PSP - DS is easier to pirate than PSP so the whole piracy issue doesn't explain all the factors why PSP software isn't selling.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wouldnt put too much into the hardware drop last week. After all, these numbers are just for 1 week (holiday season or not). PSP dropped 7% and PS3 dropped 8.7% (just for the fun of it: 360 dropped 7.6%, GBA dropped 40% and GC dropped 3.1%) so its not a huge drop. A huge drop in my opinion would be somewhere around 20% - 30%. Sure, you can say "ey, its holidays, systems shouldnt drop then!", still, i wouldnt put too much into it.

If there is something we should have learned from this generation is that there have been much unpredicatble things. I.e who could honestly say that they though that Wii would be so popular, that PSP would sell this much for a so long period after the release of the new model and how many knew that X numbers of games would preform as bad as they have done (in the begining atleast, now you can say it because of the certain trend thats some software sales have had)?

Now the 1st year is over (2nd for 360) for this generation. I do belive that things can change within the next year, it doesnt necessary have to follow the same trend as the year thats been now. Its going to be exciting to see :)

Also, please dont read this post as i'm saying "the PS3 will win!!" because thats not what i'm saying at all. I'm just stating my opinions that things have been unpredictable and that i think that things can change next year. That goes for all systems (well.. maybe not 360 :/ hehe :p), not just PS3.

donny2112

The PS3 hardware dropping in the historically largest hardware week for the year is bad. You can clothe it in all the "unpredictable market," "who could've predicted" regalia that you want, but it is just plain bad. This forebodes ~12K weeks as early as late January, which is the level it was at before the 40GB, new color, new controller, and Musou 5 launch.

Dalthien said:
No offense meant at all Joshua (seriously, your data collection and presentation is absolutely wonderful and greatly appreciated), but this is why Rock_Man and myself keep the charts that we keep here (LINK).

With the PS3 LTD numbers released Nov 11, and the Wii LTDs released Dec 2 by Media Create, along with the Top 50 X360 LTD just released by Famitsu in addition to the monthly charts, we have fairly complete data available for all 3 systems. By excluding MC data, you eliminate a whole bunch of games from your list, and you leave many games needlessly stuck with outdated data. And there really isn't any reason to exclude either tracker since there is no reason to believe that one tracker is any better than the other. Undoubtedly, MC is more accurate for some titles, and Famitsu for others, but we have no way of knowing which is which.

For example, you have 152 3rd-party titles listed, but by adding in MC data, we have 211 titles tracked, and it is actually even more than that because we don't count the Platinum and Best Price releases as separate titles. The Top 500 chart at the end of the year will help somewhat, but many of the lesser-selling titles will still be left unaccounted for.

Just a suggestion if you want to clear up some of the discrepancies about the missing data for Wii and PS3 that you were worried about.

Speaking for myself, I try to keep the data from a single source instead of mixing them. I have taken an extra step toward being more complete by including the leaked first week numbers in my data for two reasons.

1) It's still Famitsu data, though rounded.
2) Those games are likely to not be on the Top 500 list that's usually available in August.

I'm basically relying on the Top 500 to fill in a lot of the other gaps, though.

Terrell said:
Not all systems peaked on the same weeks in previous years, either, though it seems more common than not. Differences in buying patterns among different demographics?

2003: Everything peaks the week of 2003-12-29.

2004: GCN, GBA, GBASP, DS peak the week of 2004-12-20. PS2 and PSP peak the week of 2004-12-27. Xbox peaks the week of 2005-01-03.

2005: Most everything peaks the week of 2005-12-19, except for X360 which peaks the week of 2005-12-26.

2006: Everything peaks the week of 2006-12-18.

As a side note, I notice that 2003's peak was later than the following three years. Without MC data before then and Famitsu combining multiple weeks around that period, it's probably not easy to tell whether 2003 had a particularly late peak, or that used to be the norm.

Dalthien said:
Yeah. The big thing is just that Famitsu has a lot of regular, hard-to-miss data that I could find going way back. With MC it's generally numbers for the top 10 and ranks for the next 40 that disappear from the web after a week unless they're saved, and additional infrequent LTD updates, but incorporating that and even Dengeki's weekly rankings is on my vague to-do list.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
The PS3 hardware dropping in the historically largest hardware week for the year is bad. You can clothe it in all the "unpredictable market," "who could've predicted" regalia that you want, but it is just plain bad. This forebodes ~12K weeks as early as late January, which is the level it was at before the 40GB, new color, new controller, and Musou 5 launch.

I never said it was good or bad nor did i justify any of the sales, i just said i wouldnt put to much into it. My point is that its 1 week, holiday season or not, and it doesnt necessarily show how it will be in the distant future.

donny2112 said:

What's even worse is that PS3 is trending below last year, in the same time frame (minus launch week). I'm curious to see if PS3 can recover in 2008, or at least improve upon from 2007, at the very least.

I've come to one conclusion with these Japanese sales charts, and its that Wii Fit will absolutely dominate North American sales when it is released. I expect the Wii Fit sales to be stronger in the US as many of us could certainly use the exercise. Just wait until the soccer moms and Richard Simmons gets ahold of it! Hopefully Nintendo will have many units ready to ship at that time in order to avoid shortages.

Link316

Banned
donny2112 said:
The PS3 hardware dropping in the historically largest hardware week for the year is bad.

its kinda expected, there's practically nothing being release on it until DMC4, Disgaea 3 and then there's another software drought until Yazuka 3

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link316 said:
its kinda expected, there's practically nothing being release on it until DMC4, Disgaea 3 and then there's another software drought until Yazuka 3

No, it's not expected. There's nothing on any other platform either, nor has there ever been in week 3 of December in any year ever, and yet virtually every year of virtually every console's lifespan, sales have gone up from December week 2 to December week 3.

AniHawk

Link316 said:

Well it's kinda expected since it's a failure system with the stench of failure and has games that fail at retail too.

Link316

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
No, it's not expected. There's nothing on any other platform either, nor has there ever been in week 3 of December in any year ever, and yet virtually every year of virtually every console's lifespan, sales have gone up from December week 2 to December week 3.

well I was expecting it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Link316 said:
well I was expecting it

So if you expected a lack of major releases to cause hardware sales to decline this week, you must be amazed at the fact that the DS and Wii are way up, right?

apujanata

Stumpokapow said:
So if you expected a lack of major releases to cause hardware sales to decline this week, you must be amazed at the fact that the DS and Wii are way up, right?

In Link316's vocabulary, there is no such thing as DS and Wii. Nintendo has not (and will not) released any new platform since their last one, Gameboy Advance and Gamecube. In fact, Nintendo has gone third party, in Link316's world.

Tron 2.0

Threi said:
I expected that you would expect that PS3 Hardware sales in Japan are bad.
I was expecting your expectation, and thusly prepared a counter expectation which I bet you weren't expecting.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:

Back in late October, I expected the PS3 to possibly hit six figures for a week or maybe two in December/January.

Link316 said:

So what you're saying is that you have no grasp of the historical trends in the Japanese market. Fair enough.

Christine

moku said:
If two years is not a trend, when is it? 3?

C'mon now.

If the year is your point of data, then yes. You need three measurements to establish a trend. But I think the original point has become confused at this point.

Link316

Banned
donny2112 said:
So what you're saying is that you have no grasp of the historical trends in the Japanese market. Fair enough.

and yet PS3 sales went down while you were expecting them to go up based on "historical trends", so does that mean you have no grasp of the Japanese market? I'm just saying you still need games to sell a system, the PS3's library is kinda lacking right now, the fact that PS3 sales went against the "historical trend" pretty much backs that up

Arde5643

Link316 said:
and yet PS3 sales went down while you were expecting them to go up based on "historical trends", so does that mean you have no grasp of the Japanese market? I'm just saying you still need games to sell a system, the PS3's library is kinda lacking right now, the fact that PS3 sales went against the "historical trend" pretty much backs that up
Another stealthy "wait for xxx" post? :lol

nextgeneration said:
What's even worse is that PS3 is trending below last year, in the same time frame (minus launch week). I'm curious to see if PS3 can recover in 2008, or at least improve upon from 2007, at the very least.
So this makes me think; PS3 and Wii are around long enough to have some yearly self-comparisons. I'll set up these charts for the next few years, so they won't need to be edited any time soon. Well, unless I modify the location of the files or syntax...

PS3 hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, weekly, Famitsu
PS3 hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, cumulative, Famitsu

PS3 hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, weekly, Media Create
PS3 hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, cumulative, Media Create

Wii hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, weekly, Famitsu
Wii hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, cumulative, Famitsu

Wii hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, weekly, Media Create
Wii hardware sales, 2006 vs 2007 vs 2008 vs 2009 vs 2010, cumulative, Media Create

Here's a note extremely far in advance: "2009" will be a 53-week year, so in this set of 52-week comparisons the week of 2009-12-28 is in a limbo and not counted toward either 2009 or 2010. Which is a really really big week to be missing, but let's worry about that in a couple years.

izakq said:
Link316, the Bill Kristol of video games.
:lol

MechaX

Arde5643 said:
Another stealthy "wait for xxx" post? :lol

Eh, Link316 is going to state the same nonsense for the next year. Both here, and at the Board-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named (That has Questions that are Frequently Answered (If I could remember who came up with this nickname, I'd give him credit)).

donny2112

Sage00 said:
2 years in a row is hardly a trend.

Famitsu
In 1998, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.
In 1999, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.
In 2000, the period before Christmas is obscured by a two-week chart.
In 2001, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.
In 2002, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.
In 2003, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.
In 2004, every system selling above 10K, except for the PSP, went up in the period before Christmas. The PSP was in the midst of shortages.
In 2005, every system selling above 10K, except for the 360, went up in the period before Christmas. The 360 had launched the previous week.
In 2006, the period before Christmas is obscured by a two-week chart.

Media-Create
In 2004, every system selling above 10K, except for the PSP, went up in the period before Christmas. The PSP was in the midst of shortages.
In 2005, every system selling above 10K, except for the 360, went up in the period before Christmas. The 360 had launched the previous week.
In 2006, every system selling above 10K went up in the period before Christmas.

Whether it's also the largest week of the year is obscured by Famitsu combining weeks into a two-week period, but it is very often the largest week of the year for most platforms. The fact it went down without having just launched or being in shortage is bad and not something anyone who had looked at historical trends would have initially expected.

Edit:
It's worth pointing out that the PSP is also down this week, and that's probably due to it spiking last week with the launch of the Red PSP Slim.

KINGMOKU

Why do people argue with Donny? It's like, well, its not going to get you anywhere when he has the data, and you have your anus.

donny2112 said:
Famitsu

Media-Create

Whether it's also the largest week of the year is obscured by Famitsu combining weeks into a two-week period, but it is very often the largest week of the year for most platforms. The fact it went down without having just launched or being in shortage is bad and not something anyone who had looked at historical trends would have initially expected.

Wow, great stuff, Donny. Way to drive the point home. :) Let me just add that excluding launch week, PS3 sales are down 5.7% so far, year over year, using Media Create numbers. That is not a good sign for a system that's in its second year of its lifecycle. Maybe things will turn around in 2008 for ps3.

apujanata

moku said:
Why do people argue with Donny? It's like, well, its not going to get you anywhere when he has the data, and you have your anus.

But Link316's anus is much more entertaining than Donny's data. At least that is the impression I got from this topic :

izakq said:
Link316, the Bill Kristol of video games.

What is wrong will Bill Kristol ? Is this the one who killed Clinton Health Care Plan ? I don't get what is funny about it.

nextgeneration said:
Maybe things will turn around in 2008 for ps3.

Warning, you have entered realm of "hoping" and leaving realm of "probable" behind. As long as you are aware that it is a "hope", you should do fine.

Seriously, as longtime PS fans (not as long as I like Nintendo, but I still like PS), I am very worried about PS3. In 2007, my plan is to buy PS3 (when I reached $300) as addition to the Wii. In 2008, I am not sure whether I should keep my plan, or change it to buy X360 as my second console. If there are lots of RPG & SRPG that were previously PS only became PS3 and / or X360, I might have to change my plan. The only thing still in favor of PS3 (compared to X360) is free online play and free region

donny2112 said:
The PS3 hardware dropping in the historically largest hardware week for the year is bad.

It's not the "problem" of a single week or such. As a point I have mentioned before, it's the whole holiday season, in which PS3 got no significant boost at all in this period of time, which is quite a contradiction with the other consoles/portables which have much better mass/casual-market appeal, such as NDS, Wii and even PSP, and we all know it's the type of consumers who tend to buy more stuff in the holiday seasons. The reason why PS3 is not attractive to the mass/casual market is obvious: it's the most expensive console, and most of its games are (still) hardcore-centric.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
donny2112 said:
Famitsu

Media-Create

Edit:
It's worth pointing out that the PSP is also down this week, and that's probably due to it spiking last week with the launch of the Red PSP Slim.

Just a question, you list a reason for every exception, so what would be the reason for PS3 being lower? I mean, these numbers are based on a comparison to the week before, so it's very dependant on what happened during that week as well.
You mention Red PSP Slim launch as the reason for PSP being lower this week. But in that case, isn't it possible to use GT5P as a similar excuse for PS3? Didn't hardware sales jump up considerably (about 38k --> 63k) due to Gran Turismo 5 Prologue being released last week?
Not trying to spin the recent PS3 numbers in a positive way (because they're still pretty bad, no two ways around it), but since it's a rare exception to the trend I was interested in the possible reason for it (unless that has already been discussed, in which case I apologize).

Top Bottom