• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

ziran

Hammer24 said:
I´m shocked about the Wii love Golf numbers. I can´t think of any explanation why it bombed.
BishopLamont said:
Nights and We Love Golf is taking advantage of the Wiimote yet it still fails to garner decent sales, I mean if Wii Sports is selling, why won't We Love Golf? One would think We Love Golf would appeal more to the Wii audience more then Chocobo, yet sales shows otherwise. Well we'll see how much it goes on for the rest of the week and see it's legs to come to any conclusions.
Lobster said:
Thats exactly what I thought aswell..I couldn't see any reason why We Love Golf would bomb in Japan other then being a new franchise..
One of the reasons Camelot gave for not developing the game for Nintendo was that Nintendo wanted Mario Golf, this current scenario for We Love Golf is probably why.

New IPs in existing genres are very, very difficult to establish. Here you have a game which was created by the team who made Hot Shots Golf that is supposed to be arguably the best golf game out there, on the hottest selling home system, at the best time of year for sales, yet it bombs. The market is very guarded.

The only way a golf game would be guaranteed a success on Wii would be Mario Golf or Wii Sports Golf Deluxe (which EAD would've probably and easily handled). I think Camelot wanted to be responsible for creating a hit new game, and the satisfaction that would bring after so many Mario games. Unfortunately it hasn't worked thus far. Maybe it'll have some legs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Lobster

Banned
ziran said:
One of the reasons Camelot gave for not developing the game for Nintendo was that Nintendo wanted Mario Golf, this current scenario for We Love Golf is probably why.

New IPs in existing genres are very, very difficult to establish. Here you have a game which was created by the team who made Hot Shots Golf that is supposed to be arguably the best golf game out there, on the hottest selling home system, at the best time of year for sales, yet it bombs. The market is very guarded.

The only way a golf game would be guaranteed a success on Wii would be Mario Golf or Wii Sports Golf Deluxe (which EAD would've probably and easily handled). I think Camelot wanted to be responsible for creating a hit new game, and the satisfaction that would bring after so many Mario games. Unfortunately it hasn't worked thus far. Maybe it'll have some legs, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It doesn't look like they wanted to create a hit game looking at shipment numbers..

donny2112

We Love Golf! is coming out in the U.S. Unless it turns out to be a poor game, I'll be buying it. I've been talking to someone else who has a Wii, only really likes mini-games (time constraints), and wants a Wii Sports Advance-type game, and he's very interested in buying "the Wii golf game from the developers of Hot Shots Golf."

We may not see the numbers, but I expect it to sell pretty well in the U.S. Probably not to Mario Golf levels, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout
Let's see... bomba, bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba. How sad, and this is during December!

Lobster

Banned
jj984jj said:
Let's see... bomba, bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba, mega bomba. How sad, and this is during December!

Whats even sadder is the shipment numbers. Looks like some companies have just plain given up on Japan!

WTF... I thought We Love Golf was supposed to be a pretty good game? Also... what happened to GT5P? I thought online functionality wasn't exactly popular in Japan.

Lobster

Banned
Psychotext said:
WTF... I thought We Love Golf was supposed to be a pretty good game? Also... what happened to GT5P? I thought online functionality wasn't exactly popular in Japan.

We Love Golf is a pretty good game. So lets hope it sells in the rest of the regions.

Those first day numbers are very underwhelming. I just hope Nights sells in the US and PAL territories - would be sad to see it go unnoticed.

mabuza said:
well its still only a demo.
Well GT4P was only a demo as well but going by Moor-Angol's Famitsu numbers it still managed 200k first week and 750k LTD.

orio7 said:
Just over 1 million ww.
So Europe and the rest of Asia where this was released only added 250k sales? I find that highly dubious. Source?

ziran

Lobster said:
It doesn't look like they wanted to create a hit game looking at shipment numbers..
Well, at least it's supposed to be another great game from Camelot, so they've still delivered.

Kenka said:
Those third-parties really have to make up their mind.
On what? Whether to bomb on Wii, PS3 or 360?

...yep, you're right, I'm sure it's a difficult decision ;)

kay

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is doing pretty well if it sells the same as 4 Prologue opening week considering 4 was almost half the price at 2,980 yen (vs. 4,980).

donny2112 said:
We Love Golf! is coming out in the U.S. Unless it turns out to be a poor game, I'll be buying it. I've been talking to someone else who has a Wii, only really likes mini-games (time constraints), and wants a Wii Sports Advance-type game, and he's very interested in buying "the Wii golf game from the developers of Hot Shots Golf."
Clap Hanz does not equal Camelot.

ziran

kay said:
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is doing pretty well if it sells the same as 4 Prologue opening week considering 4 was almost half the price at 2,980 yen (vs. 4,980).

Clap Hanz does not equal Camelot.
"the Wii golf game from the developers of Hot Shots Golf."
http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/hot-shots-golf

8ampn9g.jpg

EDIT-
Clap Hanz developed future instalments from Camelot's template, and has some ex-members of Camelot iirc, so while Clap Hanz isn't the same as Camelot they do have a few similarities...

ziran said:
On what? Whether to bomb on Wii, PS3 or 360?

...yep, you're right, I'm sure it's a difficult decision ;)

Or they could find some good numbers on DS.

segata said:
Hahahaha wow

NiGHTS is going to make a fucking crater.

I believe my exact words when predicting were 'make Hiroshima look like one of those dust clouds I used to kick up on the playground'.

ziran

Pureauthor said:
Or they could find some good numbers on DS.
It would be the best solution until things settle, certainly the least risky and would return decent/reasonable profits. Unfortunately, I doubt developers expected the home console transition to be so brutal, the investment in PS3, Wii and 360 has already happened.

3rd party suicide indeed. Guess I couldn't ask Chocobo Wii to be like the PSX ones but rather like the DS one.

PS2 successor where are you? If only portable consoles had console-like tie ratios, although DS reduces that with better hardware sales.

duckroll

AnimeTheme said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/

First day sales:

PS3 GT5P: 50k (30% sell-through, downloads unknown and not included)
Wii Chocobo Dungeon: 30k (30% sell-through)
Wii NiGHTS: 7k (10% sell-through)
Wii SC Legend: 5k (10% sell-through)
Wii WE LOVE GOLF: 4k (10% sell-through)

PSP Slim (Deep Red): Near sellout

You missed the best parts.

Kingdom Under Fire 360: 8k
Shikigami no Shiro III 360 = 1500
Shikigami no Shiro III Wii = 500

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Though some of the bombas can be explained because of timing, all in all looks like publishers got firebombed.

ziran

jarrod said:
Wow, bomba all around. :/

We Love Golf should've been a DS game first, imo.
You know, a few years ago that would've been one of the things I thought I'd never hear, along with:

"doesn't look bad for a Wii game" & "it's sold quite well for a PS3 game"

:lol

100K for a 3rd party home console game is looking like a huge success these days. 200K and you're cracking open the Champaign cheap wine (if you can afford it).

How things have changed...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
duckroll said:
Developed by Alfa, published by Arc System Works.

Arc System Works, hey? That means there's at least a decent chance that AkSys could pick it up for a US release. I don't know why anyone would pick the Wii version over the 360 version, though.

ziran said:
You know, a few years ago that would've ranked as one of the things I thought I would never hear, along with:

"doesn't look bad for a Wii game", and "it's sold quite well for a PS3 game"

:lol

100K for a 3rd party home console game is looking like a huge success these days. 200K and you're cracking open the Champaign cheap wine (if you can afford it).

How things have changed...
Which makes Nintendo's decisions for the Wii a little smarter? If Core gamer games would sell on the thing it'd be the perfect console for the majority of Japanese developers.

ccbfan

duckroll said:
You missed the best parts.

Kingdom Under Fire 360: 8k
Shikigami no Shiro III 360 = 1500
Shikigami no Shiro III Wii = 500

LOL I knew it was gonna happen.

360 hardcore >>>>>>>>>>>> Wii hardcore

You know whose most happy about the current Japan situation?

MS because the one region that they're having trouble is the region that does not matter concerning 3rd party home consoles. At this point all home consoles suck for third party. Its a wash in Japan. On the other hand the market where third party prosper the most the 360 destroy everything in 3rd party sales.

Even in Europe they're about tied with PS3 for third party dominance among home consoles.

When the PS2 leaves the market (At this point I'm not sure it'll ever since its the last glimmer of hope for Japanese 3rd parties). Worldwide the 360 will be the most important 3rd party home console.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ccbfan said:
MS because the one region that they're having trouble is the region that does not matter concerning 3rd party home consoles. At this point all home consoles suck for third party. Its a wash in Japan.

What does not matter is the distinction between home consoles and portables. Developers just want to make money.

ccbfan said:
Even in Europe they're about tied with PS3 for third party dominance among home consoles.

Uh, I really wouldn't say that. Plenty of Wii titles have been doing great in Europe. Cooking Mama, Sonic & Mario at the Olympics, Red Steel, Rayman (obviously) all have done as well or better in Europe than in the US. Given the lack of hard numbers, I'm not prepared to say that the average PS360 game is doing better than the average Wii game in Europe.

Obviously high profile titles like Assassin's Creed are doing well, but again so are high-profile Wii third-party titles.

In addition, the 360 being "about tied" with a platform that has a substantially lower install base is not a good thing. It's a bad thing.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Arc System Works, hey? That means there's at least a decent chance that AkSys could pick it up for a US release. I don't know why anyone would pick the Wii version over the 360 version, though.
360 version's already been unofficially confirmed, Wii version's under consideration.

I'm more worried about what's going to happen to Milestone's stuff now that O3's rumored to be going out of business. I still want Radio Allergy & Crow. :(

I'm pretty sure that over half of GT5P sales are going to come from PSN. Why would ou want to go out and buy a disc version when ou can have the game in an hour sitting on our HDD read to go when you are.

Kyoufu

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm pretty sure that over half of GT5P sales are going to come from PSN. Why would ou want to go out and buy a disc version when ou can have the game in an hour sitting on our HDD read to go when you are.

Japanese people don't go online.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jarrod said:
360 version's already been unofficially confirmed, Wii version's under consideration.

Awesome. If the 360 version is budget, I'll totally pick that up.

I'm more worried about what's going to happen to Milestone's stuff now that O3's rumored to be going out of business. I still want Radio Allergy & Crow. :(

Really? I thought Konductra did well. Tank Beat probably bombed, but I figure their head would still be above water.

SEGA would obviously be a good candidate to localize Milestone stuff (because of the good relationship between Compile and SEGA prior to Compile shutting down)... Majesco obviously has a decent record of localizing stuff. I can't really think of anyone else other than AkSys that's doing indie localizations of games not by a parent japanese company, and even AkSys is pretty much just the US Arc System Works at this point.

jarrod

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Really? I thought Konductra did well. Tank Beat probably bombed, but I figure their head would still be above water.

SEGA would obviously be a good candidate to localize Milestone stuff (because of the good relationship between Compile and SEGA prior to Compile shutting down)... Majesco obviously has a decent record of localizing stuff. I can't really think of anyone else other than AkSys that's doing indie localizations of games not by a parent japanese company, and even AkSys is pretty much just the US Arc System Works at this point.
Well, UFO's still out there picking up stuff. They might go for it (bonus, they'd probably release the PS2 ports too).

Chaos Field did suprisingly well for O3 though, I could see maybe some other publisher looking into Milestone's shooters at least (RIP Tank Beat 2). SEGA would be ace, they actually distribute Milestone's stuff in Japan too btw.

Why doesn't this surprise me at all that all these games bombed. Always easy talking when not giving any predictions, but I really thought some of the predictions from last page were far too optimistic. Just about everything this year has bombed on consoles, except for Wii sports, Wii play and Wii fit.

jesusraz

Wow, low shipments all round. Seems devs don't have that much faith in their Wii games right now. Not putting much stock out on shelves isn't likely to help sell the game...surely that's obvious? Something like We Love Golf could have caught people's attention if it was in plentiful supply. But hey, too risky a move for Capcom and its new IP, it seems.

jarrod said:

The Wii version was meant to be announced by Aksys this week...not sure what's going on. As for O3, losing its PR guy a few months back, with him stating they probably wouldn't need to replace him didn't sound too good :/

jarrod

Banned
jesusraz said:
The Wii version was meant to be announced by Aksys this week...not sure what's going on. As for O3, losing its PR guy a few months back, with him stating they probably wouldn't need to replace him didn't sound too good :/
Yeah, I imagine Aksys will end up announcing near every notablke ASW release (Shikigami III, Puchi Copter Wii, GG2 Overture, From The Abyss, etc). Hopefully they line up on the VC bandwagon too, so we can get RCR.

Really hope Milestone lines up a supportive western publisher though...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Well hopefully We Love Golf does better in NA and EU...if it really is the next level up from Wii Sports golf it could do well. Tiger Woods better not be misleading me.

Looks like the majority of dev support will be split between DS and 360 this gen (east and west respectively) with tons of shovelware on the Wii and continued attempts to try to break into that market.

klee123

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
PSone successor where are you? If only portable consoles had console-like tie ratios, although DS reduces that with better hardware sales.

Fixed, even PS2 couldn't compare to the PSone in terms of software sales. It was when most of the huge Japanese franchises sold at its peak. FF games selling over 3 million copies, DQ selling 4, RE selling over a million etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
badcrumble said:
Is DS LTD going to pass up PS2 LTD next week?

It has by Famitsu standards. Media-Create it'll pass probably week four December/week one January unless it gets a bigger-than-predicted spike over the next two weeks.

klee123 said:
Fixed, even PS2 couldn't compare to the PSone in terms of software sales. It was when most of the huge Japanese franchises sold at its peak. FF games selling over 3 million copies, DQ selling 4, RE selling over a million etc.

PS2 has the same number of million sellers as PS1 in Japan.

Top Bottom