• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/3 - 12/9 2007

The price drop combined with the release of a white PS3 should've had a much greater impact on the playstation sales. Sony is back on square one and all they can do is wait for the killer software to roll in (middle 2008?). It looks like they will lose at least half of their marketshare from last generation.

Too bad about No More Heroes and Lost Odyssey too.

ethelred

jesusraz said:
Wow, low shipments all round. Seems devs don't have that much faith in their Wii games right now. Not putting much stock out on shelves isn't likely to help sell the game...surely that's obvious? Something like We Love Golf could have caught people's attention if it was in plentiful supply. But hey, too risky a move for Capcom and its new IP, it seems.

Erm... it sure as fuck looks like their lack of faith was fully justified. Are you really trying to explain these massive bombs away by the low shipments? I doubt that's the cause. If Capcom had shipped tons and tons more so it'd be in plentiful supply on shelves, then... it'd catch people's eyes as they kept walking by and it would stay on the shelves where Capcom would be out even more money.

Anyway, like I've been saying for weeks and weeks, Wii software is a fucking joke, and if I were a developer in Japan there isn't a chance in hell I'd be making a game on that system.

(edit: unless I'm Nintendo! :lol )

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
ethelred said:
Erm... it sure as fuck looks like their lack of faith was fully justified. Are you really trying to explain these massive bombs away by the low shipments? I doubt that's the cause. If Capcom had shipped tons and tons more so it'd be in plentiful supply on shelves, then... it'd catch people's eyes as they kept walking by and it would stay on the shelves where Capcom would be out even more money.

Anyway, like I've been saying for weeks and weeks, Wii software is a fucking joke, and if I were a developer in Japan there isn't a chance in hell I'd be making a game on that system.

And even then you stand the chance to sell LESS than your Gamecube counterparts!

AltogetherAndrews said:
Isn't Nights the game that Nintendo fans spent a whole generation praying for?
Oddly, I could have sworn it was more of a SEGA fan thing...

but a man with a Lord Flashheart avatar cannot be wrong

Bishop Lamont said:
Poor Segata, he's going insane.
Nah, my interest in sales is in a separate compartment from my interest in playing games. This enables me to call Super Mario Galaxy the best game of the last eleven years and anticipate NiGHTS with literal drool on my chin while still laughing at their sales failures.

And what a failure NiGHTS is shaping up to be, saleswise. I bet under 12k for the week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Horrible horrible numbers. I still say it was dumb for third parties to release these games all at once but wow.

ethelred said:

Well, if I'm a developer who only wants to make console games...then it looks like PS2/Wii combo to me.

But yeah-DS is clearly the way to go.

Wow, every single Wii game, a massive flop.

Holy shit at Chocobo, at this rate, it might not even match the DS game (which is supposed to sell far less anyway as it wasn't Mysterious dungeon).

Jonnyram

Ynos Yrros said:
Why would ou want to go out and buy a disc version when ou can have the game in an hour sitting on our HDD read to go when you are.
How about:
a) it's cheaper on disc
b) you can sell it when you're done with it

Idiot.

kay said:
Clap Hanz does not equal Camelot.
Jesus H. Christ. This is the greatest thing I have read this week. Do you even know who made Hot Shots Golf in the first place?

Link316

Banned
ethelred said:

agreed, 3rd parties need to support the PS3 and help grow its userbase or they will soon find themselves without a market for their games

Link316 said:
agreed, 3rd parties need to support the PS3 and help grow its userbase or they will soon find themselves without a market for their games
Eh, it's not like the PS3 is a much better alternative.

Personally I think the third parties should move to handhelds at this point. :/

schuelma

Magicpaint said:
Eh, it's not like the PS3 is a much better alternative.

Personally I think the third parties should move to handhelds at this point. :/

So far its a worse alternative.

Bebpo

Banned
Good thing I don't like my Japanese games to have budgets!

...oh wait :\

Publishers should just stick to PS2. It's still the best place for 3rd party software sales and you'll at least get 100k+ opening for a solid release.

schuelma said:
Horrible horrible numbers. I still say it was dumb for third parties to release these games all at once but wow.

I recall going through this song and dance last week...

Anyway, I'm chiming in with 'LOL consoles' in Japan.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
its the classic Nintendo conundrum. Doesn't seem to change just because the hardware is doing well.

third parties approach with caution. i'm sure some will do very well, but its no cash cow unless you're Nintendo themselves.

schuelma

mrklaw said:
third parties approach with caution. i'm sure some will do very well, but its no cash cow unless you're Nintendo themselves.

Seems to be a problem with this entire generation this time around. If you think Wii software sales are bad..check out PS3/360.

ethelred

Link316 said:

The PS3 is a massive, cataclysmic failure of a system that makes the GameCube look shiny and bright. That alternative is just as bad.

schuelma

ethelred said:
The PS3 is a massive, cataclysmic failure of a system that makes the GameCube look shiny and bright. That alternative is just as bad.

I'd love to agree with you some more but I MUST FINISH FIRE EMBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:

PS3/X360 3rd party sales are still generally higher than Wii, but they are terrible sales regardless and considering it costs more to make X360/PS3 games than low budget Wii shovelware, there's no point in making a PS3/X360 game or a Wii game with a budget for that matter.

reilo

And thus we reach the only conclusion possible:

Third parties, quit making games! Bail out while the bailing's good!

Segata Sanshiro said:
Nah, my interest in sales is in a separate compartment from my interest in playing games. This enables me to call Super Mario Galaxy the best game of the last eleven years and anticipate NiGHTS with literal drool on my chin while still laughing at their sales failures.

You're a bigger man than me then. Obviously it hits a point where it becomes comical, but it's a bitter, dry and hateful laugh every time. Although maybe it'd be easier to stomach if good games and "bad" ones met the same fate, but when "bad" games rocket past the good... hahahargh.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
reilo said:
And thus we reach the only conclusion possible:

Third parties, quit making games! Bail out while the bailing's good!

^

The doom and gloom is crazy in this thread this week. o_O

Banned
Why are you guys so suprised? WiiFit is out, Galaxy is out, DQ is out. Did you really think Nights was going to set the world on fire?

schuelma

Why are you guys so suprised? WiiFit is out, Galaxy is out, DQ is out. Did you really think Nights was going to set the world on fire?

Umm no, but I didn't expect it to bomb on a Zack and Wiki level. That's just absurd. Don't make excuses.

jesusraz

ethelred said:

Hence the 'too risky a move' part of my post. Hopefully Jonnyram's point can be applied to We Love Golf, at least...Given Pangya! 2's performance, though, chances seem slim.

jarrod said:
Yeah, I imagine Aksys will end up announcing near every notablke ASW release (Shikigami III, Puchi Copter Wii, GG2 Overture, From The Abyss, etc). Hopefully they line up on the VC bandwagon too, so we can get RCR.

Really hope Milestone lines up a supportive western publisher though...

Milestone didn't want to talk to Western Press because 'the team is too shy' (not my words). I wonder if they're just the same when it comes to working with publishers, though :/ You'd hope not. I was looking forward to the Wii release of Crow, especially as it was hinted at by O3 that Radio Allergy would be bundled with it.

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You're a bigger man than me then. Obviously it hits a point where it becomes comical, but it's a bitter, dry and hateful laugh every time. Although maybe it'd be easier to stomach if good games and "bad" ones met the same fate, but when "bad" games rocket past the good... hahahargh.
Besides Wii love golf what great games are in that list that will forever be a bomb. GT will be in the top 10 next week, along with chocobo probably, and the top 10 this week had plenty of quality titles. DQ, Galaxy,Layton,etc etc..

to much doom and gloom, even from the regulars.

Banned
schuelma said:
Umm no, but I didn't expect it to bomb on a Zack and Wiki level. That's just absurd. Don't make excuses.
Why not. Their are so many there. Nights is a niche hardcore title, after seing everything that lead up to this why were you suprised?

Also I think this proves that Nights does not have the pull so many people deluded themselves into thinking for the past decade or whatever.

schuelma

Why not. Their are so many there. Nights is a niche hardcore title, after seing everything that lead up to this why were you suprised?

Also I think this proves that Nights does not have the pull so many people deluded themselves into thinking for the past decade or whatever.

Well, the original sold well.

Let me put it this way- I guarantee the PS2 remake will do a lot better.

to much doom and gloom, even from the regulars.

What? The performance of these games are about as bad as you can get. It's not 'Well, it could do better' or 'maybe we should market this a bit more'; the performance is abysmal, and anyone who says otherwise is factually wrong.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
What? The performance of these games are about as bad as you can get. It's not 'Well, it could do better' or 'maybe we should market this a bit more'; the performance is abysmal, and anyone who says otherwise is factually wrong.

It's really quite stunning. Just from a SEGA perspective- Ghost Squad, an ancient arcade port is going to do better 1st week than the sequel to NiGHTS.

Zack and Wiki had a better first day than We Love Golf and SC:Legends!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Maybe nights is bad. If second hand copies are on the shelves in Akibahara 16 hours after the game is out, sales are fucked.

Watching the PS3 kill Sony is already incredible but even more tragic is Nintendo's recent fumbles on the third party front. Since Sony and MS are out of the running in Japan at least until late 2008/early 2009 for Sony, Nintendo should have and could have inherited much of the PS2's legacy especially by now. If the Wii doesn't do that, where does that leave console games? Oh well. At least the PSP has TV out...

schuelma

Y2Kev said:
Maybe nights is bad. If second hand copies are on the shelves in Akibahara 16 hours after the game is out, sales are fucked.

Well if Jonnyram is to be believed, it is bad.

I think the most disappointing number is We Love Golf. That seems made for the Wii Sports crowd.

Weird. Maybe the big group (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Galaxy, Mario and Sonic, and to a lesser extent RE:UC) is just cannibalizing Wii software mindshare at the moment.

reilo

Rancid Mildew said:
Watching the PS3 kill Sony is already incredible but even more tragic is Nintendo's recent fumbles on the third party front. Since Sony and MS are out of the running in Japan at least until late 2008/early 2009 for Sony, Nintendo should have and could have inherited much of the PS2's legacy especially by now. If the Wii doesn't do that, where does that leave console games? Oh well. At least the PSP has TV out...

Wait.

In one sentence you talk about abysmal third party sales on consoles, and the one handheld you mention in regards to third party software is the PSP?!

schuelma said:
Well if Jonnyram is to be believed, it is bad.

I think the most disappointing number is We Love Golf. That seems made for the Wii Sports crowd.

Weird. Maybe the big group (Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Galaxy, Mario and Sonic, and to a lesser extent RE:UC) is just cannibalizing Wii software mindshare at the moment.

Should have named it Wii Love Golf and it might have sold more. BET.

Third parties are going to die...omg!

Luckyman said:
What was PS2 userbase at that time? 10-15x PS3? :lol
You just wait until 20 million!

Ynos Yrros said:
I'm pretty sure that over half of GT5P sales are going to come from PSN. Why would ou want to go out and buy a disc version when ou can have the game in an hour sitting on our HDD read to go when you are.
Just as predicted the PSN cards get played.

Maybe I should take the counterposition.

GT is a series with mass appeal, the masses will buy their videogames at retailers. Most of them don't even connect their console to the net. This applies even more to Japan. I'm pretty sure not even a fifth of the sales are going to come from PSN.

reilo said:
And even then you stand the chance to sell LESS than your Gamecube counterparts!
Selling less than Gamecube seems to be a trend this gen.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Isn't Nights the game that Nintendo fans spent a whole generation praying for?
:lol and for good measure: :lol

Banned
schuelma said:
Well, the original sold well.

Let me put it this way- I guarantee the PS2 remake will do a lot better.
The first was a launch title. it was't going up agianst WiiFit.

Pureauthor said:
If this was a regular week in the middle of Sept, then yes i would be selling my stock like you, ethereld and the others.

The way i see it the top games in Japan, have already released and are selling. Would you buy Nights over Galaxy or WiiFit? We love Golf and Wiifit aimed at the same demographic, why are you surprised one was destroyed, it was destined to happen.

This is starting to vaguely remind me of the people in the NPD threads who are suprised games like Lego whatever sell

schuelma said:
maybe....Maybe?

schuelma

reilo said:
Should have named it Wii Love Golf and it might have sold more. BET.

Yeah probably. I'm starting to think my little theory I just cooked up might hold some weight. The Wii userbase is buying games- but they are buying a group of 5-6 of them leaving no room for anything else. Good for Galaxy and Resident Evil fans, bad for NiGHTS fans.

Isn't the first part of Sony's drawing points just starting now with the GT5 Prologue? Clearly the highest selling game series on PS One/PS2's debut on the next generation is the start of something.

They've already got a solid selection of interesting, cheap titles available for download on the PSN Store; a steady collection of what will eventually come around to be underrated games in R&C and Uncharted. I don't find Sony to be in that bad of shape, plus every week now more and more RPGs seem to be announced.

Japanese developers, your choice is clear:

nintendo-ds-lite-black-europe.jpg

schuelma

rotaryspirit said:
I don't find Sony to be in that bad of shape, plus every week now more and more RPGs seem to be announced.

really?

Top Bottom