• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/31 - 1/6 2008

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mario Party DS is the best selling Mario Party ever.
Mario Party 8 is the second best selling Mario Party ever.

Galaxy will pass Sunshine's life total with one more week of this week's sales... so realistically by the end of January.

Dragon Quest IV DS will pass Dragon Quest IV PSX next week or the week after.

WinFonda

beef3483 said:
Now Japanese third parties need to step up to the plate. No screwing around anymore. It has been two holidays seasons in a row for Wii.
It's not like this is the first time Nintendo has done really well for itself and 3rd parties are simply reluctant to get on board the money train. The know better than anyone else that it's never been easy to recreate Nintendo's software successes. They make it look easy. Most 3rd parties just throw stuff out there and hope it sticks. And when it doesn't--two or three times in a row--they give.

Nutter

sphinx said:
Smash bros will be like a nuclear bomb, like the 4 riders of apocalipsys. I forsee rivers of blood in Japanese streets and women and children will not be spared.

I don't see how Japan will survive the arrival of that game. I expect it to sell something like 3 million in 2008 and other 3 by the time the Wii succesor is announced.
Given the Size of the Userbase currently vs. when Smash came out for GC. I'd wager it should cruise past 2 million, and might be the only other game besides the "Wii" line to do so.

cvxfreak

Zeni

I wonder if Taiko DS is ever going to drop out of the top 30. ToI also seems to be holding on better than expected.

Soule

Go Rune Factory! Go like there is no tomorrow!!!

I really hope they make at least 150k LTD. 200k+ would be awesometastic, but I'm afraid that might not be realistic :(

sphinx

the piano man
Nutter said:
Given the Size of the Userbase currently vs. when Smash came out for GC. I'd wager it should cruise past 2 million, and might be the only other game besides the "Wii" line to do so.

Nintendo has the Wii success in 2008 in Japan secured. I expect the Wii to sell around 60k - 100k weekly on the strength of Wii fit/sports and Smash bros./Galaxy.

This time both fronts, non-gamers and hardcores, are being addressed and nintendomination will be total and irreversible, if there ever was a slight chance of anything else taking the crown.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Soule said:
Go Rune Factory! Go like there is no tomorrow!!!

I really hope they make at least 150k LTD. 200k+ would be awesometastic, but I'm afraid that might not be realistic :(

Rune Factory opened at 39k for 125k lifetime which is leggier than average. A 50k opening for any game would suggest 100k-200k lifetime, realistically around 135-165k.

third parties are afraid their title will be lost among all the marios, wii sports/fit/play games, Pokemon, and zeldas. i mean just look @ that list, who would blame them.

Soule

Stumpokapow said:
Rune Factory opened at 39k for 125k lifetime which is leggier than average. A 50k opening for any game would suggest 100k-200k lifetime, realistically around 135-165k.
Don't get my hopes up! I want it to be a pleasant surprise if it ever does happen ;P

Also, if it crashes and burns next week I'll be coming for you!!

Kuramu

And this ends Nintendo's run. We all saw the graph

duhlines.gif

Jammy

Banned
What's holding Square-Enix back from doing a Dragon Quest VII remake on Wii?

DS third party came and is still there. Harvest Moon games are getting sales like never before, as is the Taiko Drum Master series. It's also really good to see a developer such as Level 5 starting a brand new series on the handheld and get such amazing sales as it has. FF and DQ still top the charts on the DS.

We need Wii equivalents soon.

battleMAUS said:
third parties are afraid their title will be lost among all the marios, wii sports/fit/play games, Pokemon, and zeldas. i mean just look @ that list, who would blame them.

Who cares if X game gets lost in a sea of Nintendo games if said game performs better than it would elsewhere anyhow?

You can put a good third party effort on the PSP, PS3, or 360 and yeah, it'll be that system's best-selling game for a couple weeks or so, whereas maybe it'll be the DS or Wii's fifth or so best-selling game, but that company will still get more sales on the Nintendo system a large majority of the time.

This just reminds me of athletes who leave a perfectly competitive and championship-calibur team to be top dog on some shitty "developing" team.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:

DS third party came and is still there. Harvest Moon games are getting sales like never before, as is the Taiko Drum Master series. It's also really good to see a developer such as Level 5 starting a brand new series on the handheld and get such amazing sales as it has. FF and DQ still top the charts on the DS.

What hopefully holds them back a worry of franchise fatigue...yet FF gives me no comfort in that

Nutter

Jammy said:

The DS Support really started to pick up after the whole Animal Crossing / More Brain Training / Mario Kart Combo caused the Hardware to spike. (Dec 2005)(1 year after)

The Wii Support, im thinking will do exactly that. *Wii Fit/SMS/ Smash* Combo to help things along.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Sharp said:
I was one of them and I am soooooo happy to be wrong.

Likewise. I thought it was going to get lost in the shuffle. I'm also happy to be wrong. ike someone said though, look at that sea of 'Nintendo' in the top 30, that is intimidating as fuck.

Nutter said:
The DS Support really started to pick up after the whole Animal Crossing / More Brain Training / Mario Kart Combo caused the Hardware to spike. (Dec 2005)(1 year after)

The Wii Support, im thinking will do exactly that. *Wii Fit/SMS/ Smash* Combo to help things along.

For hardware to spike, doesn't that require Nintendo to make more?

beef3483

WinFonda said:
It's not like this is the first time Nintendo has done really well for itself and 3rd parties are simply reluctant to get on board the money train. The know better than anyone else that it's never been easy to recreate Nintendo's software successes. They make it look easy. Most 3rd parties just throw stuff out there and hope it sticks. And when it doesn't--two or three times in a row--they give.

Except that now Japanese third parties are left with no choice. Either spend lots of money producing next gen games with a very little userbase, or less money on a large userbase with which you have to compete with Nintendo.

And with each month that Nintendo keeps outselling the competitors the harder it is too ignore. This is less important for games that have Western appeal, but even then Nintendo is killing in every territory and Japanese third parties aren't having as good of success in western markets as western developers have.

Nutter

Agent Icebeezy said:
Likewise. I thought it was going to get lost in the shuffle. I'm also happy to be wrong. ike someone said though, look at that sea of 'Nintendo' in the top 30, that is intimidating as fuck.

For hardware to spike, doesn't that require Nintendo to make more?
My point was that it took Nintendo's games to create the userbase to support actual games. Which IMO Nintendo, shortages withstanding.. did with the Wii, with Smash finishing the job

Avrum

Cheesemeister said:
01. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 196,000 / 1,484,000
02. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 127,000 / 1,011,000
03. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 118,000 / 2,625,000
04. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square-Enix) - 91,000 / 505,000
05. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 82,000 / 802,000
06. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 78,000 / 2,130,000
07. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix) - 78,000 / 1,118,000
08. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5) - 76,000 / 683,000
09. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 75,000 / 447,000
10. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 66,000 / 1,145,000

11. [NDS] Mario Kart DS (Nintendo)
12. [NDS] Rune Factory 2 (Marvelous Entertainment)
13. [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

14. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
15. [WII] Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo)
16. [PSP] Star Ocean 1: First Departure (Square-Enix)
17. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
18. [PS2] Super Robot Wars OG Gaiden (Banpresto)
19. [NDS] Powerful Pro-kun Pocket 10 (Konami)
20. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)

21. [PS2] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2008 (Konami)
22. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Puchi-Puchi Omisecchi: Thanks Everybody! (Bandai-Namco)
23. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (Pokémon)
24. [NDS] Tales of Innocence (Bandai-Namco)
25. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
26. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
27. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Shadow Expedition Party (Pokémon)
28. [NDS] Nep League DS (Jaleco)

29. [PS2] Naruto: Shippuuden N-Ultimate Accelerator 2 (Bandai-Namco)
30. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)

media.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
Yay for Galaxy!

And great legs for FFIV. I was afraid it was going to be front loaded. It probably will go on to break a million, or at least come very close.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ivysaur12 said:
Yay for Galaxy!

And great legs for FFIV. I was afraid it was going to be front loaded. It probably will go on to break a million, or at least come very close.

Yeah...its gonna drop after holiday spending finishes...so it probably wont make a million unless it has amazing legs for an RPG

Saitou

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Yay for Galaxy!

That's really up in the air. This is the last holiday week of the period, so it could conceivably enter a slump.

I also think half of Golden Week falls on a weekend this year, so even then it might not resurface.

jesusraz

Good to see Tales of Innocence hanging around. Should be what, around 200,000 now? Would be great if it can keep chugging along like Taiko and make its way to 300,000+ sales.

cvxfreak said:
Where did this come from? :lol

I thought it might have been an error in the listing and should actually be WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which has indeed been floating higher recently. Seeing BBA just magically re-appear like this seems very strange, but More Brain Training shot back up, so perhaps there was a general 'brain' spurt for New Year! :)

apujanata

beef3483 said:
Except that now Japanese third parties are left with no choice. Either spend lots of money producing next gen games with a very little userbase, or less money on a large userbase with which you have to compete with Nintendo.

And with each month that Nintendo keeps outselling the competitors the harder it is too ignore. This is less important for games that have Western appeal, but even then Nintendo is killing in every territory and Japanese third parties aren't having as good of success in western markets as western developers have.

Square Enix Yoichi Wada has turned around, so we should just wait for other (sane) third parties to follow.

Yoichi Wada said:
- We are astonished by Wiis success and the nintendo dominance. We thought that the PS3 and the Wii will coexist due to the difference between both strategies, but in the end the users will decide which platform we develop on. The SCE Platforms at this point are a bit of a challenge.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226627

Link

The Autumn Wind
apujanata said:
Square Enix Yoichi Wada has turned around, so we should just wait for other (sane) third parties to follow.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226627
Since that thread was locked, I'll repost my reply here.

I personally think this is just lip service. He doesn't want to piss off Nintendo by brushing off the Wii. Not while SE is milking their catalog for all its worth on the DS. I'll believe they plan to give the Wii any kind of serious support when I see some announcements made. I don't expect anything.

WinFonda

beef3483 said:

And many Japanese publishers have indicated they'd rather compete in the much larger Western markets against Western publishers than try to crack Nintendo's stranglehold on Japan.

This is just plain sad for Sony now, at this point Nintendo doesn't even need third parties.

WinFonda said:
And many Japanese publishers have indicated they'd rather compete in the much larger Western markets against Western publishers than try to crack Nintendo's stranglehold on Japan.
And abandon Japan? Makes no sense.

blitz64

Mario Party DS is just insane. I would never thought this game will sell on a portable system. There will probably be a mario party ds/wii game every year. they should just call it mario party 2008/2009 etc.

Top Bottom