• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/31 - 1/6 2008

Eteric Rice

I'm probably going to buy King Story, Fragile, and maybe ToS: RoK depending on what people think of it.

Other than that, not much.

Penguin

Eteric Rice said:
I'm probably going to buy King Story, Fragile, and maybe ToS: RoK depending on what people think of it.

Other than that, not much.

You know the Wii does seem to be getting quite a few interesting 3rd party games over in Japan. If only American companies would take a chance on it, but they have flawless logic.

Nintendo games sell the best on their console because no one else tries and as long as it continues to look that way they can claim it.

beef3483

WinFonda said:
And many Japanese publishers have indicated they'd rather compete in the much larger Western markets against Western publishers than try to crack Nintendo's stranglehold on Japan.

And what are the big Japanese published Western successes? I can think of only two million selling games, released by Capcom, and even those games "supposed" success pales in comparison to games like Gears, Halo, and COD4. Seriously, go look up the million selling games for 360. Nearly all of them are Western Published.

Right now, in the west, 360 and Wii are neck and neck for the largest installed base, with PS3 being just an afterthought. And if you go with 360 or PS3, you have to compete with Western publishers which, if you ask me, is even more daunting than competing with Nintendo.

HK-47 said:
DoA4 also did well I believe

Okay, there is three Japanese success stories. Though I still doubt it is on the level of a Gears, Halo, or COD4.

ethelred

Innotech said:
I didnt go there, third party publishers went there.
Go yell at them or something.
Maybe they will wake up.

It's not that third parties make worse games than Nintendo. It's that the truly hardcore Nintendo fans are braindead cultists.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ethelred said:
It's not that third parties make worse games than Nintendo. It's that the truly hardcore Nintendo fans are braindead cultists.

The same could be said of all cultists

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
beef3483 said:
And what are the big Japanese published Western successes? I can think of only two million selling games, released by Capcom, and even those games "supposed" success pales in comparison to games like Gears, Halo, and COD4. Seriously, go look up the million selling games for 360. Nearly all of them are Western Published.

Right now, in the west, 360 and Wii are neck and neck for the largest installed base, with PS3 being just an afterthought. And if you go with 360 or PS3, you have to compete with Western publishers which, if you ask me, is even more daunting than competing with Nintendo.

DoA4 also did well I believe

Epiphyte

ethelred said:
I didn't realize all those soccer moms and old people were "truly hardcore Nintendo fans"

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
So? That does mean you need to constantly dump on home console gaming or 3-D gaming...I dont know if its an act or not but every time you post it seems like it.
Well, the only alternative to giving my opinion is lying and giving an opinion that actually isn't mine, which would be sort of pointless. Or just not posting, but that defeats the purpose of a discussion forum. I'm kind of fond of the idea of people talking openly about their likes and dislikes, especially with a fairly high-profile site like this that people working in the game industry openly visit.

But maybe that's beside the point. I don't see how saying that I hope Galaxy doesn't approach NSMB's sales is somehow "dumping" on Galaxy. It's not like I'm calling for the game to stop selling and be a miserable failure and never see another sequel. I said I was rooting for it to not sell as well as NSMB, and that's not even saying much since it could hit 2.5 million LTD and not get close.

Meh, I don't know. I've had trouble replying to your post--it's actually taken me 40 minutes to write this, and it doesn't show at all--just because I really don't understand where you're coming from. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to attack anything, but only state my preferences. >_>

Eteric Rice

ethelred said:

Not really, it's just that Nintendo titles don't have such a high rate of suckage.

ethelred

Eteric Rice said:
Not really, it's just that Nintendo titles don't have such a high rate of suckage.

Frankly, you scare me. You're exactly the sort of person that I can see shooting a U.S. congressman at a Guyanese airport.

What is BBA doing there? :lol Is this budget priced as in Europe or full price as in the US?

Lightning said:
The fact that the PS3 has had Musou 5, WE08, GT5P in the past 2mths and not one of them in the top 30 in a big week like this SUCKS ASS. Fuck you Sony, make your damn games sell.
But only GT5 was published by Sony. I think Sony did all they can to give Musou a boost (price cut, new model, shockaxis, bundle). What else should they have done? With the current userbase don't expect games to have insane legs. They will be heavily front-loaded.

Agent Icebeezy said:
Likewise. I thought it was going to get lost in the shuffle. I'm also happy to be wrong. ike someone said though, look at that sea of 'Nintendo' in the top 30, that is intimidating as fuck.

For hardware to spike, doesn't that require Nintendo to make more?
But Nintendo will stay there, even if you don't release games on DS/Wii and go with the competition. In the end it all boils down to wether third parties think they can get more profit from 360/PS3 or Wii. It'll be interesting, no doubt.

Pureauthor said:
Guys, can we get a rundown of all third parties that have seen a significant success on the Wii of any kind in Japan?

I know RE4 and RE:UC, what else?
SE has the best selling current home console gen title in DQ:S. Bandai Namco had some turds but I thought Enichi and One Piece did pretty well. So basically the bigger ones in SE, Capcom and BN.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
Well, the only alternative to giving my opinion is lying and giving an opinion that actually isn't mine, which would be sort of pointless. Or just not posting, but that defeats the purpose of a discussion forum. I'm kind of fond of the idea of people talking openly about their likes and dislikes, especially with a fairly high-profile site like this that people working in the game industry openly visit.

But maybe that's beside the point. I don't see how saying that I hope Galaxy doesn't approach NSMB's sales is somehow "dumping" on Galaxy. It's not like I'm calling for the game to stop selling and be a miserable failure and never see another sequel. I said I was rooting for it to not sell as well as NSMB, and that's not even saying much since it could hit 2.5 million LTD and not get close.

Meh, I don't know. I've had trouble replying to your post--it's actually taken me 40 minutes to write this, and it doesn't show at all--just because I really don't understand where you're coming from. Whatever the case, I'm pretty sure I'm not trying to attack anything, but only state my preferences. >_>

I just dont see how someone can root against good games, though I realize pretty much everyone on this forum is guilty of that. It just seems so weird that after handhelds got ragged for so long as inferior, people now rag on home consoles and well have a damn good point. Right now you are probably better off just going handheld than just going consoles.

Vinnk

Epiphyte said:
I didn't realize all those soccer moms and old people were "truly hardcore Nintendo fans"

Those soccer moms were all Gamecube Fangirls. Soon they will all have the Wii and sales will drop.

ethelred said:
Really? I'v played and owned my fair share of third party titles on Wii. While I really liked some of the offerings they don't come close to stuff like SMG and MP3. If I would spend less on videogames I would get those games before any stuff that's currently on the Wii by third parties.

Bear in mind that I haven't played Z&W due to it not being released here in PAL land - I have high hopes for that.

Epiphyte

ethelred said:
Frankly, you scare me. You're exactly the sort of person that I can see shooting a U.S. congressman at a Guyanese airport.
I never thought I'd live to see a Jonestown reference on GAF

Good show, sir

Xeke

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Really? I'v played and owned my fair share of third party titles on Wii. While I really liked some of the offerings they don't come close to stuff like SMG and MP3. If I would spend less on videogames I would get those games before any stuff that's currently on the Wii by third parties.

Bear in mind that I haven't played Z&W due to it not being released here in PAL land - I have high hopes for that.

No way man. Most third party efforts have totally eclipsed Galaxy and MP3...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Phife Dawg said:

Dont worry, its like getting angry at the hardcore PS3 fans cause Uncharted isnt selling....they arent the ones not buying shit

Xeke

Banned
HK-47 said:
Dont worry, its like getting angry at the hardcore PS3 fans cause Uncharted isnt selling....they arent the ones not buying shit

At least they have good games third party efforts to complain about.

Penguin

I don't want experiences that eclipse Galaxy or Prime.

I want experiences I don't get in those games.

Nintendo is great at doing Nintendo stuff, but they don't cover a large sector of gaming. And 3rd parties need to fill that void, but then they give you the same ole Nintendo audience won't buy that so they don't bother putting it out.

Even with strong sales of RE 4 and RE UC. I guess they can claim it was namebrand recognition. Cuz no one would recognize something like GTA.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So....Wii Fit is now officially a game then now it has hit a million? or does it become a non-non-game? I dunno how this double negative things works, holy shit at Mario Party DS, Layton chugging away, again, and Mario and Sonic showing legs like nothing I have seen from a 3rd party game for ages, remember when we were saying "15k first day :lol Sega".......crow we be eating.

Stop It said:
So....Wii Fit is now officially a game then now it has hit a million? or does it become a non-non-game?

wiifit.gif

Stop It said:
So....Wii Fit is now officially a game then now it has hit a million? or does it become a non-non-game? I dunno how this double negative things works, holy shit at Mario Party DS, Layton chugging away, again, and Mario and Sonic showing legs like nothing I have seen from a 3rd party game for ages, remember when we were saying "15k first day :lol Sega".......crow we be eating.
It's officially now the game to end all games.

Fin.

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
I just dont see how someone can root against good games, though I realize pretty much everyone on this forum is guilty of that.
Oh, I see where you're coming from.

Well, for me it's because too much success can go to the heads of the developers... Even for something like Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe that's a remake of one of my top ten games ever, I don't want it to sell something crazy like 44 million worldwide in case Nintendo saw that and decided it was time to shift 85% of its resources to the Kirby series and make a bunch of spinoffs.
It's already affected stuff like Mario and Final Fantasy, IMO. :/ The Mario sports games could have been totally original creations and made their own name for themselves but they weren't given the chance, and the FF name is plastered on every third games coming out of S-E these days so that stuff like Chocobo Tales and Revenant Wings never could have established its own identity. Because of this, I don't really cheer for a Mario or FF title these days anymore even if it's a port of one of the past games that I loved... I'm worried about a future full of franchise "whoring," as people call it.

Hmm. Thinking about it, I might have to re-evaluate my stance--I'm sounding dangerously close to the people who have been paranoid for a year or more that because Wii Sports/Brain Age/whatever are so successful despite being created with such a low budget, Nintendo would suddenly stop making traditional games that cost so much more to develop. I've never thought that argument made terribly much sense, so I guess I shouldn't be using anything like it myself. >_>

Besides, Jiggy, your post was a negative post. "I hope SMG does not do as well as NSMB."

You could have said "Man, I hope NSMB continues to sell well so that Nintendo will put more stock into 2D Marios."

See? Same idea, but with different connotations. In one, you wish for a good game to do, eh, well, but not -too- well. In the second, you ask that a good game get great sales, which there is nothing wrong with.

Tristam

Jiggy37 said:
I'm over here rooting for it to never get close to NSMB. I want to see more 2D Mario, Nintendo. Right now. D:

Replace SMG with Mario Party 8, more like.

It's a duel! :p

Really, I can't say I share your enthusiasm for more 2D Mario. NSMB was enjoyable, but it wasn't a revelation like Mario Galaxy. Of course, I understand your preference for 2D gaming -- but I must say in most franchises with 2D/3D iterations I prefer the latter.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:

Well, for me it's because too much success can go to the heads of the developers... Even for something like Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe that's a remake of one of my top ten games ever, I don't want it to sell something crazy like 44 million worldwide in case Nintendo saw that and decided it was time to shift 85% of its resources to the Kirby series and make a bunch of spinoffs.
It's already affected stuff like Mario and Final Fantasy, IMO. :/ The Mario sports games could have been totally original creations and made their own name for themselves but they weren't given the chance, and the FF name is plastered on every third games coming out of S-E these days so that stuff like Chocobo Tales and Revenant Wings never could have established its own identity. Because of this, I don't really cheer for a Mario or FF title these days anymore even if it's a port of one of the past games that I loved... I'm worried about a future full of franchise "whoring," as people call it.

Hmm. Thinking about it, I might have to re-evaluate my stance--I'm sounding dangerously close to the people who have been paranoid for a year or more that because Wii Sports/Brain Age/whatever are so successful despite being created with such a low budget, Nintendo would suddenly stop making traditional games that cost so much more to develop. I've never thought that argument made terribly much sense, so I guess I shouldn't be using anything like it myself. >_>

If anything, Nintendo is the last bastion of tradition in gaming, sometimes to the point of folly. For every innovation they've made in controls they've still lagged behind in some way or another, usually to save a buck or to keep some sort of Byzantine control in place like not switching to CDs for the N64.

Look at their games today. Minimal attention to voice acting, some games with very little to no written plot, etc. But they keep plugging away at what they do. It's funny, but it does have a certain charm to it, and I can't really fault them because of their high attention to detail and making sure that above all else, the gameplay is solid and fun throughout.

It does sometimes feel like they're putting up a silent era comedy versus Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind, only in this case they still manage to have a competitive product.

Jiggy37 said:

Nah you're fine, you're against spinoffs killing games not "non-games" killing games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man God said:
If anything, Nintendo is the last bastion of tradition in gaming, sometimes to the point of folly. For every innovation they've made in controls they've still lagged behind in some way or another, usually to save a buck or to keep some sort of Byzantine control in place like not switching to CDs for the N64.

Look at their games today. Minimal attention to voice acting, some games with very little to no written plot, etc. But they keep plugging away at what they do. It's funny, but it does have a certain charm to it, and I can't really fault them because of their high attention to detail and making sure that above all else, the gameplay is solid and fun throughout.

It does sometimes feel like they're putting up a silent era comedy versus Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind, only in this case they still manage to have a competitive product.

Sunrise kicks Gone with the Wind and Wizard of Oz's asses

Tristam

Man God said:

Their current titles may all have voice acting, but Capcom has the rest of those qualities in the bag. Games like God Hand are why I love the hobby.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Jiggy37 said:

Nintendo is a strange one. They don't act like how you'd expect a normal company to act. For example, Super Mario World sold 20 million units, but that didn't stop them from taking 15 years to make the next 2D Mario game. Instead of going sequel crazy, Nintendo goes spinoff crazy.

In any case, maybe the developers WANTED to make non-Mario platformer games like Animal Crossing, Brain Training, Nintendogs and whatnot. And if that's what they wanted to make, in the end, that's more important than actually getting what YOU want.

Oblivion said:
Nintendo is a strange one. They don't act like how you'd expect a normal company to act. For example, Super Mario World sold 20 million units, but that didn't stop them from taking 15 years to make the next 2D Mario game. Instead of going sequel crazy, Nintendo goes spinoff crazy.

In any case, maybe the developers WANTED to make non-Mario platformer games like Animal Crossing, Brain Training, Nintendogs and whatnot. And if that's what they wanted to make, in the end, that's more important than actually getting what YOU want.
That's what makes Nintendo special they take their time with their sequels so you're guaranteed quality when it comes out. The spinoffs are just a tease compared to them. SE is mimicking this now albeit a bit of an overload on one particular franchise.

Neo C.

FlightOfHeaven said:
Besides, Jiggy, your post was a negative post. "I hope SMG does not do as well as NSMB."

You could have said "Man, I hope NSMB continues to sell well so that Nintendo will put more stock into 2D Marios."

See? Same idea, but with different connotations. In one, you wish for a good game to do, eh, well, but not -too- well. In the second, you ask that a good game get great sales, which there is nothing wrong with.
Exactly. There's nothing wrong for wishing a specific direction. Just don't say "game x shouldn't have success" because it looks like an offense to the fans of game x. Make a positive sentence like "game y should sell even better than game x" and only a few would complain.

Jiggy

FlightOfHeaven said:

I don't see how it's the same idea; I think the more positive spin (if it can be called that) on what I said would be something along the lines of "I hope NSMB continues to stay far ahead of SMG."
Just hoping that NSMB sells spectacularly and shows longevity in its own vacuum isn't necessarily enough to force Nintendo's hand on an NSMB2, because I think Galaxy and NSMB are in direct competition for first-party resources that are dedicated to Mario platformers. Maybe the debate really centers around whether that's true? I'm not sure.
Whatever the case, seeing as there have been three 3D Mario games in the past twelve years and only one 2D Mario, I think there's much more riding on the sales of NSMB than on the sales of Galaxy.

Man God said:

[...]It does sometimes feel like they're putting up a silent era comedy versus Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind, only in this case they still manage to have a competitive product.
Maybe it's just late, but I think that's one of the best analogies I've ever heard. Not much else to say in reply since I kind of agree.

Oblivion said:
A great point, and I wish I'd thought of that earlier tonight. It sets the bar even higher for NSMB, almost as if I have to hope it shifts some 30 million copies before I can safely assume Nintendo will even bother with a sequel. And I'm not even sure it could be assumed then; like you're implying, they're pretty notorious about not doing what gamers want. (Perfect examples: post-1997 Star Fox; no new Metroid between 1994 and 2002; no fully original 2D Metroid post-2002.)

I'll concede that it's more important to them, but that's about it.
Not that I don't understand the profound quandary to an extent... I'm a creative writer by hobby, and whenever I meet someone who hates my subject matter and wants to see something more traditional and "realistic" from me, all I can think, "Hey, there are hundreds of thousands of alternatives for you. As for me, I'll write what I want."

But I can't agree that the reasoning carries over to gaming; since it's an interactive medium instead of something more static, I'd say what the gamers want is at least equally important to what the developers want. Certainly nobody hopes for bored people putting in weak efforts on games they don't really want to be a part of, though, can't argue that one.

Neo C. said:
Exactly. There's nothing wrong for wishing a specific direction. Just don't say "game x shouldn't have success" because it looks like an offense to the fans of game x. Make a positive sentence like "game y should sell even better than game x" and only a few would complain.
I admit I'm a bit of a linguistic literalist, but I really don't see the difference between "I hope NSMB continues selling better than Galaxy," which is what you're proposing, and "I hope Galaxy never approaches NSMB," which is what I actually said (and is nothing at all like "I hope Galaxy doesn't have success").
And if I saw someone saying they hoped NSMB never approached the worldwide sales of Super Mario Bros. 3 or Mario 64 (or is it too late for that?), I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take offense. (But maybe I'm not too representative--it kind of takes a lot for me to get offended about much.)

Anyway, it's been fun, but it's also late. Hopefully by tomorrow the thread will have moved on to more interesting discussions than semantics and connotations--and if not, well, it'll be moving on one way or another, because I'm sure not continuing down this road. Anyone else is free to take the last word here; I think I've already said everything I wanted (and maybe a little more beyond that).

Avrum said:

:lol Perfect! (Can't wait for AWDOR BTW! :D)

Mario Party DS is just insane! It's funny how Mario Party 8 was the worst in the series since 4 yet it sparked a huge jump in terms of sales for the series and then afterwards the best MP game since number 3 comes out and dominates the charts like never before!

How is M&S in terms of stock, are the shortages still rife over there in Japan? (And in the US while I'm at it!)

apujanata

Phife Dawg said:
What is BBA doing there? :lol Is this budget priced as in Europe or full price as in the US?

BBA is priced at 4,800 Yen, same price as Wii Sports and Wii Play. Cheaper than Super Paper Mario, which is 5,800 Yen. I use Famitsu game price info on Famitsu May 6, 2007.

Not sure what is the current market price in Japan for BBA. Anyone willing to help ?

mclem

Nash said:
When Smash Bros. hits, things are going to go crazy.

(I mean, even crazier than they are already)

I dunno. On one hand, it's a fighting game, and they're inherently generally one of the most hardcore genres around. On another, though, it's by far one of the most accessible fighters for the casual market (and beyond; I'm a fairly obsessive gamer, but I'm not much of a fighter player - yet I at least feel faintly competent in SSB). On a third hand (uh?), Nintendo need to make sure that they impart that latter point to the consumer. On a fourth hand, maybe they don't - it's visually in 2D, which might just give people that NSMB vibe.

So could go either way.

I think possibly a more universal hit will be Mario Kart Wii, since there's no conceptual barriers between that and a game the audience is already massively familiar with and has taken it to their hearts (Mario Kart DS, naturally). I don't see MKWii starting out from the blocks with any of the stigmas that plagued early SMG and could potentially hurt SSB.

mclem said:
I dunno. On one hand, it's a fighting game, and they're inherently generally one of the most hardcore genres around. On another, though, it's by far one of the most accessible fighters for the casual market (and beyond; I'm a fairly obsessive gamer, but I'm not much of a fighter player - yet I at least feel faintly competent in SSB). On a third hand (uh?), Nintendo need to make sure that they impart that latter point to the consumer. On a fourth hand, maybe they don't - it's visually in 2D, which might just give people that NSMB vibe.

So could go either way.

Based on precedent, in which SSBM was by far the most successful Gamecube game in Japan, I get the feeling Brawl will do just fine.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Jiggy37 said:
I don't see how it's the same idea; I think the more positive spin (if it can be called that) on what I said would be something along the lines of "I hope NSMB continues to stay far ahead of SMG."
Just hoping that NSMB sells spectacularly and shows longevity in its own vacuum isn't necessarily enough to force Nintendo's hand on an NSMB2, because I think Galaxy and NSMB are in direct competition for first-party resources that are dedicated to Mario platformers. Maybe the debate really centers around whether that's true? I'm not sure.
Whatever the case, seeing as there have been three 3D Mario games in the past twelve years and only one 2D Mario, I think there's much more riding on the sales of NSMB than on the sales of Galaxy.
But there was a successor to one game of the Mario series which was totally 2D - Yoshi's Island DS, so you might count it as two [on top of this, there were new levels made for the Yoshi's Island Remake which should be held against the Super Mario 64 remake and on GBA Wario was Mario's representative, remember Super Mario Land 3]. Also, NSMB and Super Mario Galaxy were developed by totally different teams so I doubt they really compete for developer's ressources.

farnham

Banned
as it seems to me

DS and Wii owners are braindead cultist type of gamers and PS3 owners are no gamers at all since they dont buy any games.. either their are poor because of the hardware expenses or they are just not interested in gaming...

mclem said:

So could go either way.

I think possibly a more universal hit will be Mario Kart Wii, since there's no conceptual barriers between that and a game the audience is already massively familiar with and has taken it to their hearts (Mario Kart DS, naturally). I don't see MKWii starting out from the blocks with any of the stigmas that plagued early SMG and could potentially hurt SSB.

SSB is a character game more then a fighting game...

Rock_Man

jesusraz said:
I thought it might have been an error in the listing and should actually be WarioWare: Smooth Moves, which has indeed been floating higher recently. Seeing BBA just magically re-appear like this seems very strange, but More Brain Training shot back up, so perhaps there was a general 'brain' spurt for New Year! :)

It is BBA actually since Dengeki has the game at #15 too, going from #88 the previous week. The DS version is not back however and the original Brain Training is not back in the top 50 which is very surprising. The popularity of these games has surely decreased a lot. Nintendo sure can't rely on these to be system sellers in the future like Mario and Pokemon have been for generations.

lo zaffo

But Super Smash Brothers X is apparently a very big production/value game. Nintendo saldom delivers such huge games. Where Super Mario Kart Wii probably will be made with lot less efforts. At least Super Mario Kart: Double Dash was sort of cheap.

Terrell

I remember when people scoffed and laughed at my claim that Wii Fit will bring a heightened interest in the rest of the Wii software lineup and resurrect Galaxy from its near death.

I love vindication.

farnham said:
SSB is a character game more then a fighting game...
And Gran Turismo is more of a sportscar fetishist's wet dream than a racing game.
And Final Fantasy is more of an interactive visual novel than an RPG.

And... and... and.... do we really need to go down a road like that? It's a fighting game, folks, take a deep breath and let your lungs enjoy an air of truth.

Top Bottom