• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/31 - 1/6 2008

LCGeek

formerly sane
WinFonda said:
And many Japanese publishers have indicated they'd rather compete in the much larger Western markets against Western publishers than try to crack Nintendo's stranglehold on Japan.

Despite the fact nintendo is going to make regardless of what markets they do and don't particpate that nintendo maybe in. With all these sales topics you think publishers or at least devs in the industry would point out you can't compete with this company. If there's one thing about this industry that's been true since nes is that nintendo just makes hand over fist and money stop trying to compete in that sense. Sure we all want to be big but nitnendo is the benchmark while the others are just playing to to it.

Nintendo needs 3rd parties they don't serve 70% of my gaming interests.

blitz64 said:
Mario Party DS is just insane. I would never thought this game will sell on a portable system. There will probably be a mario party ds/wii game every year. they should just call it mario party 2008/2009 etc.

It's not just any portable system. It's the DS. It's like, magical and stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Witchfinder General said:
Christ, not a single next-gen title in there.

I don't see why so many people got so defensive over this comment.

I don't see a single title for the Wii HD, 720, or PS4 on this list, so he's exactly right!

Innotech

Banned
Im not sure I get the gist of what third parties complain about. are they seriously saying that Nintendo just makes superior games and they cant compete? If so with that kind of attitude Id have to agree. Third party just doesnt get it done. Hey, I didnt make it up, they did :lol

Arthas

Banned
Innotech said:
Im not sure I get the gist of what third parties complain about. are they seriously saying that Nintendo just makes superior games and they cant compete? If so with that kind of attitude Id have to agree. Third party just doesnt get it done. Hey, I didnt make it up, they did :lol

Amen, that's what this silly situation seems to suggest.

They are afraid...to compete with nintendo. :lol Having your epic game outsold by wiiplay is a crushing and humiliating experience. They are pussies.

Guys, can we get a rundown of all third parties that have seen a significant success on the Wii of any kind in Japan?

I know RE4 and RE:UC, what else?

ghstwrld

Innotech said:

Aren't third parties competing with Nintendo, regardless of the console they release their game on (especially in Japan)?

Man God said:
I don't see why so many people got so defensive over this comment.

I don't see a single title for the Wii HD, 720, or PS4 on this list, so he's exactly right!
Of all the generations, the current one has had the longest, sustained use of the 'next gen' label... even after two years! It just won't go away :(
vertopci said:
Japan needs to stop buying that Wii Fit shit.
I'm going to buy a 2nd copy just for you.

Xeke

Banned
LCGeek said:
Despite the fact nintendo is going to make regardless of what markets they do and don't particpate that nintendo maybe in. With all these sales topics you think publishers or at least devs in the industry would point out you can't compete with this company. If there's one thing about this industry that's been true since nes is that nintendo just makes hand over fist and money stop trying to compete in that sense. Sure we all want to be big but nitnendo is the benchmark while the others are just playing to to it.

Nintendo needs 3rd parties they don't serve 70% of my gaming interests.

Nintendo doesn't need you.

Jiggy

Tristam said:
Great. I'm just glad to see Galaxy pulling some good numbers.
I'm over here rooting for it to never get close to NSMB. I want to see more 2D Mario, Nintendo. Right now. D:

Tenbatsu said:
Seems like every Wii system purchase in Japan the consumer will get WiiPlay, WiiSports, SMG, and WiiFit.
Replace SMG with Mario Party 8, more like.

Innotech

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Guys, can we get a rundown of all third parties that have seen a significant success on the Wii of any kind in Japan?

Mario and Sonic is getting there, and Dragon Quest Swords sold about half a million so far.
Anything that bombed did so because it wasnt advertised AT ALL. In any case, third pary on Wii is seeing much better overall success than third party on other consoles there.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
I'm over here rooting for it to never get close to NSMB. I want to see more 2D Mario, Nintendo. Right now. D:

I want to see more superior Mario i.e. Galaxy

Deku

Banned
Innotech said:
Mario and Sonic is getting there, and Dragon Quest Swords sold about half a million so far.
Anything that bombed did so because it wasnt advertised AT ALL. In any case, third pary on Wii is seeing much better overall success than third party on other consoles there.

What do you want to compare to. Console sales have been trending downwards so there's no stable benchmark to compare it to. Comparing to the PS3 or 360 would be akin to running a pro athlete in the special olympics.

If you compare it to the PS2's first year+ it's not as impressive from a 3rd party standpoint.

Jiggy

HK-47 said:
I want to see more superior Mario i.e. Galaxy
I'm not even sure I'd dispute the idea that Galaxy was better than NSMB as an individual game, but there are metric tons of potential left in 2D Mario just waiting to be mined out.

Innotech

Banned
Deku said:
What do you want to compare to. Console sales have been trending downwards, comparing to the PS3 or 360 would be akin to running a pro athlete in the special olympics.

If you compare it to the PS2's first year, it's not as impressive from a 3rd party standpoint.
thats because PS2 actually had third party support right off the bat. Cant even compare the two. It isnt remotely fair. Now if Wii had a GTa, solid RPGs, traditional figbhters etc all with good budgets and effort instead of shovelware, and THEN it failed to sell I would understand. but thats not the case.

Raw64life

The Famitsu top 10 is pretty different from MC after the top 4.

Also crazy how the 9th and 10th iterations of Mario Party have become the two best selling MP games ever in Japan.

Vinnk

ghstwrld said:
Aren't third parties competing with Nintendo, regardless of the console they release their game on (especially in Japan)?

No, because Nintendo has no real competition.

Come on third parties.. PROVE ME WRONG!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
I'm not even sure I'd dispute the idea that Galaxy was better than NSMB as an individual game, but there are metric tons of potential left in 2D Mario just waiting to be mined out.
So? That does mean you need to constantly dump on home console gaming or 3-D gaming...I dont know if its an act or not but every time you post it seems like it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinnk said:
Oh yes, I forgot.

Japanese people can smell when a game is not produced by Nintendo. They can detect the stench of failure.

Japanese people scare me =(

MechaX

Nintendomination, as usual.

FFIV is enjoying some pretty stable sales. If it can keep it up for a bit longer, it'll probably at least reach Crisis Core's total sales. And DQIV continues to beast.

And despite the doom and gloom from its first week numbers, Tales of Innocence has been sticking around in the charts for the past few weeks (Rose from 34 to maintaining 24 in two consecutive weeks). What are the figures for ToI now in comparison to other handheld Tales of titles?

Deku

Banned
Innotech said:
I didnt go there, third party publishers went there.
Go yell at them or something.
Maybe they will wake up.

I just didn't want you to bait out the usual crazies who insist Nintendo made the DS into the world eating the machine that it is and third parties played no role whatsoever.

Lobster

Banned
Pureauthor said:

-RE4
-Umbrella Chronicles
-One Piece
-Budokai Tenkaichi 2/3
-Dragon Quest Swords

Thats just off the top of my head.

Deku said:
I just didn't want you to bait out the usual crazies who insist Nintendo made the DS into the world eating the machine that it is and third parties played no role whatsoever.

Lol I think he was talking about Wii.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Deku said:

But they didnt

=)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
why the Wii sports bump? it was half or less of this within the last few weeks but Wii sales were between 150-200+ K

post holiday bump of people picking it up or big Wii sales this week?

Innotech

Banned
scola said:
why the Wii sports bump? it was half or less of this within the last few weeks but Wii sales were between 150-200+ K

post holiday bump of people picking it up or big Wii sales this week?
both?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Innotech said:
and yet they are now thriving pretty well on it arent they?
Like the company that took a gamble with Layton and has sold almost 700k units.

You mean 800k and than 600K with the sequel

Innotech

Banned
I can think of several third party Wii games coming in 2008 that Id very much like to have. but past those Im not sure what to expect. But I do think the system will have enough third party support thi time to remain interesting to most people. But it will achieve that more through smaller more unique/risky games with a greater variety than the usual grouping of a few relatively safe big budget games. But the type of games I like personally are the quirky weird shit like no More Heroes and niGHTS to begin with, so Im set.

Top Bottom