• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Barf_the_Mog said:
Joshua, how is the PSP doing with its weekly sales now compared to an average good week for the PS2 in 2003 or 2004?
Looks like PSP is doing... 70%-ish what PS2 did early in those years? Apart from the holidays there's a lot of variance from 20-60K weekly in those years, though.

Deku

Banned
BrodiemanTTR said:
January 2008: Rise of the Sbots

When did the Sbots fall. Aside from biweekly meltdowns, and the usual suspects posting less, its pretty much business as usual.

cvxfreak

Famitsu for last week:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/rank/top30/2007/02/22/120,1172115189,67507,0,0.html

121_67509_070309hard.jpg

Zelda breaks 400K.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
cvxfreak said:
That was during the Monster Hunter Portable 2 launch yesterday. I think they're all gone. :lol

So....was this week's low Wii sales numbers just a sign of what's to come? Edit: Or do you mean they just got refilled for the new game launches this week?

Vinnk

cank stoochie said:
is the wii still supply constrained?

Yup. 2 of my friends are looking everywhere for it and have been for weeks. Lst week I saw a few DS lites and Best Denki. I considered buying them just because it was so rare to see them in the wild.

apujanata

cvxfreak said:
h-103_67506_reji.jpg.jpg

That was during the Monster Hunter Portable 2 launch yesterday. I think they're all gone. :lol

So, is Nintendo is trying to made people less interested in MHP2 by sending lots and lots of Wii (and we can safely assume DSL) to shops ? Or are they just shipping more unit for FE and Naruto 4 ?

Next week charts should be very, very interesting. Possible 20+ pages of topics.

I am crossing my finger for 90K+ FE first week.

IceIpor

Looking at the last few weeks, I think there might be a trend with supply.

This Week | Last Week | 2nd Week Ago | 3rd Week Ago
63,618 | 78,550 | 65,740 | 83,754

fresquito

How popular is FE in Japan, I have this feeling that it's not that popular. And while you're at it, how's done Naruto there in previous iterations?

It's quiet week. Aside from Layton's sales, which is awesome but not really good as a fanboy talking point, there's not much. (Although the thread will probably be derailed and stretch to 15 pages (50 posts) later on.)

Wait for MHP2, Gundam Musou, or something. Then watch the screams.

Stealth said:
So is everyone playing flow or is GAF just tired of MC sales this week? Six pages is shameful for this thread.
Little to make things really fresh. Last week was the "VF5 bump" and related arguing to keep things big for a while. Otherwise it pretty much boils down to... DS and Wii supply were a bit lower, and Layton did well.

apujanata

Pureauthor said:
It's quiet week. Aside from Layton's sales, which is awesome but not really good as a fanboy talking point, there's not much. (Although the thread will probably be derailed and stretch to 15 pages (50 posts) later on.)

Wait for MHP2, Gundam Musou, or something. Then watch the screams.

Well, I guess I might not have to wait too long for PS3 price drops (hopefully). I plan to buy it when it is in the 300-400 range. If there are games I really, really want for it, I will settle for 400 (premium pack, btw. Core pack FTL). If there are no game I NEED, I will wait until it reach 300.

How region free is PS3, anyway ? If I buy Japan version, can I play almost all US version on it ? The Japan version might be much cheaper than the US version, so it might hit 400 sooner.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Stealth said:
So is everyone playing flow or is GAF just tired of MC sales this week? Six pages is shameful for this thread.

No.

MC just happens to preview hardware data on the same night that The Office and Grey's Anatomy are on. Speaking of which, I would LOVE a game based on the latter.

And this week is very much following the trend. No surprises, no shocks, nothing. The fact that I can say "PS3 18k next week" and be taken seriously is probably the biggest issue, but nobody seems to care honestly. It's disgusting and Sony needs to do something about it immediately.

Brak

Stealth said:
The threads don't usually stretch to monstrous sizes until Mono hijacks someone's account.

D.Lo

Stealth said:
After VF5 bombed the next few years has been made clear.

Also, no NPD anticipation this week.

Stealth

D.Lo said:
Also, no NPD anticipation this week.

Ah true. I guess the pre-VF5 release hype was just bloating the old threads. Probably won't be like that again until next NPD or whenever Japan gets its next big game.

Deku

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Also I think a lot of fanboys on all sides have retired for now to lick their wounds from the January NPD.

Some fans may need blood transfusions.

Just saying.

So I've got a new chunk of data for people to play with. Last week after making a PSP/DS market share graph, someone asked if it was for hardware or software. While it was hardware, I realized that since I'd recently been hunting up as many of the links to the old data on Famitsu's site as I could find, and thus had access to the many weekly software sales pies, I could compile the data. I have.

This data is a lot more... goofy... than the hardware data for several reasons. One: The data presentation isn't very consistent. Sometimes the top 2 or 3 systems would be listed, other times all of them. Two: There are simply a lot of holes in the data, where I haven't found it on Famitsu's site. The last few years are pretty complete, though. Three: Remember that these are just percentage values, so we can't compare actual sales from these, or in any way sum up the weeklies to create a cumulative result.

However, for those goofinesses, it could still work decently well for limited comparison. Dalthien/Rock_Man have done some X360/PS3/Wii charts with the recent data that I think work pretty well. It might be interesting to compare PS2/GBA, or GBA/DS/PSP to see how they ate GBA's share. Things like that.

Here's the data in comma-delineated text format.

jimbo

Banned
Hardware - This Week | Last Week | YTD | LTD
1. NDS - 136,999 | 201,298 | 1,241,148 | 15,246,827
2. WII - 63,618 | 78,550 | 667,096 | 1,586,739
3. PSP - 34,505 | 32,175 | 337,618 | 4,869,747
4. PS3 - 20,676 | 23,431 | 199,410 | 656,968
5. PS2 - 16,192 | 16,033 | 165,629 | 20,320,488
6. 360 - 5,210 | 4,811 | 57,827 | 322,529
7. GBA - 1,836 | 1,900 | 20,545 | 15,318,624
8. NGC - 347 | 383 | 3,806 | 4,173,274

Are these the real MC hardware numbers for 2/12-2/18?

If, so I am really surprised at the 360 actually going up. Wii and PS3 is expected. I say there will be yet another drop next week for consoles.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Wait till next week, the system warriors will be out in spades waiting for PSP to outsell the DS due to MH2.

Next week should be interesting either way!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
sp0rsk said:
Wait till next week, the system warriors will be out in spades waiting for PSP to outsell the DS due to MH2.

Yeah it'll definitely be a big thread about PSP sales.

jimbo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
:lol Yes they are. That's the official Media Create webpage.

Just making sure. I never check the MC page and the numbers usually get posted in a different format here.

Not a lot of discussion about the numbers it seems.

CoolTrick

Banned
I never check the MC page and the numbers usually get posted in a different format here.

This format sucks. It's just an attempt by someone to try and monopolize starting the media create threads. The extra presentation is pointless. All we care about are the numbers.

sphinx

the piano man
can someone with better perspective tell me,

Is Hotel dusk doing good? GREAT?, meh?

also, Wario master of disguise looks poised to be the next 500k seller.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
sp0rsk said:

Polishing my armor and sword as we speak now. Despite having been fully won over to the DS side, I can't help but have the urge to root for my once beloved PSP.

Yamauchi

Banned
Wii prices on Japanese sites have declined a little. They are not much higher than the retail price, but demand still seems quite high. I have a feeling FE is going to be a massive bomb, though. Hopefully Sonic will do well.

ethelred

Yamauchi said:
Wii prices on Japanese sites have declined a little. They are not much higher than the retail price, but demand still seems quite high. I have a feeling FE is going to be a massive bomb, though. Hopefully Sonic will do well.

Depends what folks' expectations for it are. I'm keeping a pretty conservative estimate, personally, hoping the game will come in at around or slightly above FE9's ~150k. The estimates need to be reasonable. Given its predecessor's sales, what would you consider a bomb in terms of what you're expecting it to sell?

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
ethelred said:
Depends what folks' expectations for it are. I'm keeping a pretty conservative estimate, personally, hoping the game will come in at around or slightly above FE9's ~150k. The estimates need to be reasonable. Given its predecessor's sales, what would you consider a bomb in terms of what you're expecting it to sell?

I hope a healthy number was shipped to retailers. I guess we'll find out tomorrow for sure.

Top Bottom