• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I wonder if this will affect future Wii/PS3 sales?

http://www.cubed3.com/news/6976/1/Japanese_Dream_Team_Project_Revealed

I wanted to create a new thread for it, but it seems I'm not ranked high enough yet. ;_;

We hear about how special Nintendo's Wii in on a pretty regular basis, but now we are set to see some real action as a group of Japan's finest developers join forces for a new project. The latest issue of Famitsu magazine has revealed that Marvelous Interactive (Harvest Moon, Rune Factory, Luminous Arc), CING (Another Code, Hotel Dusk) and Townfactory are all working together on a new project that will be released on Nintendo's Wii. At present it is scheduled for a 2008 release and is simply titled 'Project O', being classed as a new genre along the lines of SimEarth.

For those wondering who Townfactory is, it consists of Kimura Shourou who worked on a few Lovedelic games like Moon and LOL, as well as Chulip on PlayStation 2. In addition there is Hideo Minaba, an ex-Square Enix art director who is currently working with Mistwalker for character designs on the highly anticpated RPG project Archaic Sealed Heat (aka A.S.H.). On top of this there is Kazuyuki Kurashima, a graphic artist that created monster and art designs for Square Enix on the Super Mario RPG (SNES) release, plus recently did animation work on Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosey Rupeeland (DS). Fact fans should note he worked alongside Shourou-san on Moon and LOL.

TopDreg

Wow, nice. Seems like Nintendo support is really starting to pick up steam. This "dream team" as they say seems to focus on mainly simulation/detective genres. Wonder what that could mean? Also... realize how big these development teams are (pretty sure they're small) and what their past projects were. Aside from the phenomenon that Wii is proving itself, the Wii's relatively much lower development costs seems perfect for this type of joint development.

Too bad most of the upcoming announcements would be released in 2008 :<

Stupid cautious developers.

Quick question: in generations past, how long did it take for compelling games and developer support to come out for a console starting in the same position as the Wii when it was clear that it's going to be dominant, or at least, starting to look that way?

lo zaffo

chibcicylist said:

Not too bad, I'm one of those who might sustain Wii momentum in the future, buying one in 2008. By that time, it should have games.

TopDreg

Quick question: in generations past, how long did it take for compelling games and developer support to come out for a console starting in the same position as the Wii when it was clear that it's going to be dominant, or at least, starting to look that way?

Square announced development of FFVII in 1995 for the Playstation, a year before the N64 came out. Seems Square was a wee bit stupid this time around.

AniHawk

chibcicylist said:

Usually 2 years seems to be the case.

Genesis released in 1989, not a big force until 1991.
PSX released in 1995, not a (really) big force until 1997.
DS released in 2004, not a big force on a worldwide scale until late 2006.

Wiitard

Banned
In retrospect expecting Gundum to really move some units was not realistic. Why? Because it is thinking in terms of last gen - buying a $150-200 console for one game is not all that uncommon. Now buying a $600 dollars console for one game is a totally different story - when a console is such a big investment the thing which can move it is the expectations about the future library or several great games available now. So here is a prediction I'm going to make - PS3 sales will be far more smoothly looking from week to week than Gamecube's or Xbox's or PSP or PS2's. Of course it will have spikes on major game releases, but not as pronounced.

bud

Wiitard said:
In retrospect expecting Gundum to really move some units was not realistic. Why? Because it is thinking in terms of last gen - buying a $150-200 console for one game is not all that uncommon. Now buying a $600 dollars console for one game is a totally different story - when a console is such a big investment the thing which can move it is the expectations about the future library or several great games available now. So here is a prediction I'm going to make - PS3 sales will be far more smoothly looking from week to week than Gamecube's or Xbox's or PSP or PS2's. Of course it will have spikes on major game releases, but not as pronounced.

hey wiiTARD, do you know that the console costs about $400 in Japan??????????

WIITARD

TARD

TURD

turd.png

A++ ANALYSIS WOULD READ AGAIN

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
*****************NEWSFLASH **********************

Wiitard said:

*****************NEWSFLASH **********************

(The only people thinking that Gundum would really make a significant impact (greater than 15k units) on PS3 sales were hopefuls and those that don't really follow these things)

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 26 - Mar 4:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/03/07/103,1173252768,68159,0,0.html

1. Super Robot Taisen W (DS)
2. Gundam Musou (PS3)
3. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP)
4. Professor Layton (DS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Pokémon Diamond & Pearl (DS)
7. NSMB (DS)
8. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
10. More Brain Training (DS)

Woah, SRW wins the battle for No 1? MHP2 dethroned already? Interesting.

Wow at Layton. Legs confirmed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Magicpaint said:
Woah, SRW wins the battle for No 1? MHP2 dethroned already? Interesting.

Wow at Layton. Legs confirmed.

We have to come up with a new term for a game that builds steam. Like a snowball rolling downhill. Or something.

*And Gundum in 2nd? uhoh.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
ziran said:

2. Gundam Musou (PS3)
4. Professor Layton (DS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. NSMB (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
WTF NSMB is back again in the top 10?

Is that NSMB Zombie Edition, keeps on rising from the dead?

(do we have batches of crows for all those who predicted SRTW third after Gundum and MHP2?)

Orgen

ziran said:

2. Gundam Musou (PS3)
4. Professor Layton (DS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. NSMB (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)

Wow Layton... ¿500k lifetime possible? (400k with this amazing legs is a sure bet)

And MHP 2 will have to wait another week to get 1 million

WTH, just how many units did this Super Robot Taisen, what i never heard of before, sell, if Gundom Musou is supposed to have sold 180k units?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
PantherLotus said:
...and Wii Play and Wii Sports still in the top ten. Isn't that close to 20 weeks now?
95 days (2nd of December - 7th of March) so 13.5 weeks methinks
MasterMFauli said:
WTH, just how many units did this Super Robot Taisen, what i never heard of before, sell, if Gundom Musou is supposed to have sold 180k units?
I think they shipped around 250k, sold around Gundun first day (100k versus 120k), but had more leeway (I think gundun is out of stock, so SR had a 70k lead in max potential)

Scum

Masklinn said:
WTF NSMB is back again in the top 10?
Is that NSMB Zombie Edition, keeps on rising from the dead?

I was just about to say (or type) the same thing! Damn thing just keeps creeping back into the Top 10 charts! :lol

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Orgen said:
Wow Layton... ¿500k lifetime possible? (400k with this amazing legs is a sure bet)
A sequel is planned, which could give the 1st game an extra exposure. It could flirt with the 1 million sellers club.

Vinnk

marc^o^ said:
A sequel is planned, which could give the 1st game an extra exposure. It could flirt with the 1 million sellers club.

Aww.. I was kind of hoping that it would stay a game. But in terms of profit I guess it should shoot for being a non-game.

KINGMOKU

ziran said:

2. Gundam Musou (PS3)
4. Professor Layton (DS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. NSMB (DS)
9. Wii Play (Wii)
Quick question(s);

How bad is it that this much talked about PS3 game is not in the #1 position?

Is it cool to anyone else to see 4 different videogame platforms to place in the top ten?(Such a diverse videogame selection)

DarkMehm

from sinobi:

MHP2 LTD ~900k
Gundam Musou ~170k
Fire Emblem LTD ~100k

DS 110k
PSP 60k
Wii 60k
PS3 40k
Xbox 360 5k

Edit: damn, too late. ;(

FrankT

creamsugar said:
http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10027387878.html

DS Lite 110,000
PSP 60,000
Wii 60,000
PS3 40,000
Xbox360 5,000

PS3 Gundam / DS SRWW: 170,000

Wii
FE 100,000 (Total)

DS
DQMJ 1,200,000 (Total)
Layton 200,000 (Total)

PSP
MHP2 900,000 (Total)

Well I guess that is a decent bump for the PS3 for the week, but it looks as if Gundam ain't really going to do it after all either. Will be interesting to see how it fares for this week.

Now that I think about it, will Wii Play ever be outside of the top 10-15 as long as the Wii is the #1 selling home console each week? I can see it selling 30-40k a week for the lifetime of the console since it comes with a controller.

That's right, I'm predicting 10 million plus. Mark it dude.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Jtyettis said:
Well I guess that is a decent bump for the PS3 for the week, but it looks as if Gundam ain't really going to do it after all either. Will be interesting to see how it fares for this week.

The PS3 needs a few games on the level of Gundam in a short time span to push the PS3 where it needs to be.

One game isn't going to do it. Everybody knows that.

Eteric Rice

mckmas8808 said:
The PS3 needs a few games on the level of Gundam in a short time span to push the PS3 where it needs to be.

One game isn't going to do it. Everybody knows that.

That's not what everyone was saying for the last few months. D:

linsivvi

moku said:
Quick question(s);

How bad is it that this much talked about PS3 game is not in the #1 position?

Is it cool to anyone else to see 4 different videogame platforms to place in the top ten?(Such a diverse videogame selection)

There are a lot of people in Japan who would prefer to play a Super Robot Taisen game than a Musou or Gundam game, so it's not bad I would say, given the difference in install base.

Wyndstryker said:
Yay for Super Robot Taisen. Although I'm still sad that it'll never cross the pacific =(.

Damn licensing!

Well you can play the OG games on the GBA. Removing all licensed stuff allowed these games to cross the pacific.. :p

KINGMOKU

I need a certified sales master concerning Japanese game sales to answer a question for me please;

I am going to make a mario-esque console chart, and show how many million sellers(For the consoles that have qualified of course) each one has.

If it's possible, how many million sellers does each console have in Japan, of the consoles that have had million selling games?

Can I use Magic-Box for a comprehensive list?

farnham

Banned
shinobi estimations ftw!

60k for PSP is pretty good

60k for wii on the other hand is rather bad..

100k for FE Wii is great news

wow at Gundam and SRW numbers

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
farnham said:
shinobi estimations ftw!

60k for PSP is pretty good

100k for FE Wii is great news

wow at Gundam and SRW numbers
wait so how's 60k for PSP good and 60k for wii bad?

farnham said:

If i remember correctly, last week was one of Wii´s high-level-sales weeks.
Seeing how its sales fluctuate from well to less well and back, it´s no surprise. Next week back at 70-90k.

Top Bottom