• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/26 - 3/4

Magicpaint said:
I thought the descrepancy between MC and Famitsu was with SRW? I mean Famitsu has it at ~170K, according to Sinobi, but it also has Gundam at ~170k which is in line with MC's number.
okay... so the descrepancy is with SRWs. we still have no idea why though then?

and *does* that 170,000 gundam number include the bundles or not? just out of interest.

Evlar

Banned
Nyampoo said:
Not really sure. The color is not that bad like Pinata, but seems to have the same problem. The character design is kinda ok. Some might find them kawaii.

Another aspect is the rendering method. The realistic rendering is not very our style. Funny thing is, movies like Toy Story or Nightmare Before Christmas are ok, but games for some reason have a totally different standard. I don't know why.

Also, PS3 Home's Sims-like avatar design is not very appealing to us either. I think we prefer Mii style.
Interesting, thanks.

Thraktor

Hardware predictions:

DSL: 145,000
Wii: 66,065
PSP: 46,137
PS3: 33,125
PS2: 15,000
360: 4,500

DSL/PS2 and 360 are fairly arbitrary estimates, whereas Wii, PSP and PS3 are based on specific software sales.

Edit: This would put Wii at a million console lead over PS3 in Japan (1,731,310 vs 709,408). In fact, so long as Wii sales are at least 11,038 ahead of PS3 sales (which I think is pretty much guaranteed), that should happen this week anyway.

ziran

It is strange to see such a large discrepancy between Famistu and MC figures on SRW, especially since GM sales are the same, must just be a difference in tracking methods. It will be interesting to see MC's PS3 hw numbers.

The amount of sw in the top 30 on DS and Wii is truly astounding. How Nintendo has revived the Japanese market and pulled it away from Sony never ceases to amaze me, it's incredible!

Great to see Wii Sports still selling well. I'm still loving playing it after 3 months, it's an awesome game and deserves to sell at least 5 million in Japan :)

Evlar

Banned
plagiarize said:
okay... so the descrepancy is with SRWs. we still have no idea why though then?

and *does* that 170,000 gundam number include the bundles or not? just out of interest.
Yes, the Gundam number includes the bundles. Media Create typically lists games with bundles and/or special editions all added together on one line.

Parl

Thraktor said:
Hardware predictions:

DSL: 145,000
Wii: 66,065
PSP: 46,137
PS3: 33,125
PS2: 15,000
360: 4,500

DSL/PS2 and 360 are fairly arbitrary estimates, whereas Wii, PSP and PS3 are based on specific software sales.

Gonna play higher or lower on your predictions...

DSL: 145,000 - HIGHER
Wii: 66,065 - LOWER
PSP: 46,137 - HIGHER
PS3: 33,125 - HIGHER
PS2: 15,000 - LOWER
360: 4,500 - LOWER

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I think those predictions are more or less (+/- 5k) within reason. The PS3 spike is where I guessed wrong last week, but that was duly noted within a post or two of my big post. I look forward to posting again later tonight with the full monty. I have compiled my analysis posts (cheesemaster style!) so they can be reviewed for accuracy and accountability.

I'll let you decide how I've done.

The Wii third party titles are not doing good in Japan, and it's worrisome.

Naruto did poorly it's first week, and now it's almost COMPLETELY off the charts? wtf.

Fire Emblem didn't far much better. This week it did about 19,000 I'd say which isn't exactly great, not too bad I suppose. Wii needs something besides Wii Sports and Wii play

Roelatie

DS 115,500 (-16%) 15,610,500
Wii 67,500 (-23%) 1,813,250
PSP 64,000 (-38%) 5,274,250
PS3 44,250 (+108%) 754,250
PS2 16,750 (-4%) 22,063,250
Xbox 360 4,750 (+12%) 359,250
GBA 1,750 (0%) 16,666,250
GameCube 250 (0%) 4,020,250

Roelatie said:
DS 115,500 (-16%) 15,610,500
Wii 67,500 (-23%) 1,813,250
PSP 64,000 (-38%) 5,274,250
PS3 44,250 (+108%) 754,250
PS2 16,750 (-4%) 22,063,250
Xbox 360 4,750 (+12%) 359,250
GBA 1,750 (0%) 16,666,250
GameCube 250 (0%) 4,020,250

You'd best have a link or mark those as predictions, though they look like numbers from The Site That Shall Not Be Named.

Parl

Cheesemeister said:
Needs more Plinko.

The man himself...
_41646672_bruce.jpg

Cheesemeister said:
http://eg.nttpub.co.jp/ranking.html
http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

01. 02. 03. 04. 05.

01. (PS3, Bandai-Namco) Gundam Musou - 170,725 / NEW
02. (NDS, Banpresto) Super Robot Wars W - 139,311 / NEW
03. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 137,851 / 843,132
04. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 39,639 / 1,130,376
05. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 33,957 / 220,673
06. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 31,702 / 976,288
07. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Iron Left Brain: Mistake Museum 2 - 28,495 / NEW
08. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 27,236 / 1,201,812
09. (NDS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros. - 24,545 / 4,193,532
10. (NDS, Nintendo) More Brain Age - 22,854 / 4,039,850

11. (NDS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World
12. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS
13. (WII, Nintendo) Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn
14. (NDS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS
15. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
16. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215
17. (NDS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training
18. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise
19. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Age
20. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Diamond
21. (NDS, EA) SimCity DS
22. (WII, Takara-Tomy) Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX
23. (WII, Nintendo) Wario Ware Smooth Moves
24. (PS2, Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
25. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training
26. (NDS, Konami) Death Note
27. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Pearl
28. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M
29. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS
30. (NDS, Sega) Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem

NDS - 22
WII - 5
PS2 - 1
PSP - 1
PS3 - 1

Previously:
Media Create Sales 1/15 - 1/21
Media Create Sales 1/22 - 1/28
Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4
Media Create Sales 2/5 - 2/11
Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18
Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Whoa!!

ylvis_

Banned
I'm so glad for Layton's and Dusk's legs. Games like that usually don't have any legs at all. Animal Crossing should also have sold over 4 million now, which means the DS has four 4 million selling games in Japan. Insane is great word to describe that.

When was the last time there were 27 or more games for Nintendo systems in the top 30?

One PS3 game selling more than all Wii games combined LOLLOOLLOOOOl.

Achievement unlocked: Using huge PS3 game sales to make a stupid comment

I don't like it when games sell well just because they are branded.

Evlar

Banned
ylvis_ said:
I'm so glad for Layton's and Dusk's legs. Games like that usually don't have any legs at all. Animal Crossing should also have sold over 4 million now, which means the DS has four 4 million selling games in Japan. Insane is great word to describe that.

When was the last time there were 27 or more games for Nintendo systems in the top 30?
I think someone in a past MC thread posted a Famitsu list from '92 or something that had Nintendo consoles and the GB filling 29 of the top 30 spots. So about 15 years.

I know that's really vague.

Ryu1999

Ynos Yrros said:
One PS3 game selling more than all Wii games combined LOLLOOLLOOOOl.

Achievement unlocked: Using huge PS3 game sales to make a stupid comment

I don't like it when games sell well just because they are branded.

Sony and Microsoft fans are not welcome in MC threads, sorry

I do have two suggestions for future Media Create threads, though:

1) Post a link to the Media Create thread of a year ago - that would make it easy to compare sales data and see how things changed in a year.

2) List the major titles coming out during the next weekly period which could pop up on the next Media Create chart, so we have something to speculate about. :)

Other than that, the current charts are perfect. Thanks for your work, Cheesemeister!

A Link to the Snitch said:
So has there ever been a week where so many third party DS games have shown better legs before?

Harvest Moon, Professor Leyton and Kanji brain are the only 3 that show legs... The rest are either Nintendos, dropped extremely quick (Bleach), or are new.

Just thought I'd point that out :D

It's still go to to see Harvest Moon and Professor Leyton doing so well. Nintendo really hit a good market for adventure titles as Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk did well, and now Prof. leyton is doing extraordinary

Neomoto

Saitou said:
Seeing as how Sony is pretty much DOA in Japan, I think they're doing the right thing by making it this way, even if it's not appealing to Japan.

I think they have a good chance of taking over Europe with stuff like Home and LBP.
Yeah I think Home will turn out to be a big plus for them here in Europe. Not sure about LBP though. Don't get me wrong my jaw dropped when I saw it, but truth be told it would seem more of an incredible downloadable simple PSN game than a full fledged 60+ euro game. Imo of course. Although I'm not sure how deep the gameplay will be, I'm basing this on what I've seen in the awesome trailer. But I think you need more than LBP offers to win Europeans. More like a lower price point (duh), Fifa, Singstar, GTA and such.

farnham

Banned
seeing the arguable success of gundam musou (succeeded as a system seller.. did not sell as well as gundam or dynasty warriors on PS2)

it makes me wonder...

what is the next big title for the PS3..?

Neomoto said:
Yeah I think Home will turn out to be a big plus for them here in Europe. Not sure about LBP though. Don't get me wrong my jaw dropped when I saw it, but truth be told it would seem more of an incredible downloadable simple PSN game than a full fledged 60+ euro game. Imo of course. Although I'm not sure how deep the gameplay will be, I'm basing this on what I've seen in the awesome trailer. But I think you need more than LBP offers to win Europeans. More like a lower price point (duh), Fifa, Singstar, GTA and such.

Agreed. One game ain't winning shit.

Even as a start, I don't see LBP starting the ball rolling, especially since no release dates been set.

As for Home, it seems specifically designed for NA.

Inhumanility said:
Harvest Moon, Professor Leyton and Kanji brain are the only 3 that show legs... The rest are either Nintendos, dropped extremely quick (Bleach), or are new.

Just thought I'd point that out :D

It's still go to to see Harvest Moon and Professor Leyton doing so well. Nintendo really hit a good market for adventure titles as Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk did well, and now Prof. leyton is doing extraordinary

DQM Joker?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
farnham said:
seeing the arguable success of gundam musou (succeeded as a system seller.. did not sell as well as gundam or dynasty warriors on PS2)

it makes me wonder...

what is the next big title for the PS3..?

Minna no Golf 5... in June :/

A Link to the Snitch said:
DQM Joker?

Easily missed and corrected. That's 5 titles with legs, and I think Heisai Board of Education could be included too; it's been on and off that #28-#30 spot for a while in Famitsu's chart at least.

5 third-party DS titles with legs, or just titles on other systems can't sell? Because when you look at it, the chart basically says no other system can get over ~ 8,000 units worth of sales per week which is, bluntly, pathetic. Good job for the DS

DeaconKnowledge said:

Even as a start, I don't see LBP starting the ball rolling, especially since no release dates been set.

yeah, if sony want home to have an impact in Japan they really need to do a major graphical overhaul.

farnham

Banned
TTP said:
Minna no Golf 5... in June :/

oh thats quite big.. million seller on PS2 and 500k on PSP as far as i remember

but march has just started and april and may are not to be ignored...

hmmm gundam musou will probably have legs due to the drought

Neomoto

Nyampoo said:
Not really sure. The color is not that bad like Pinata, but seems to have the same problem. The character design is kinda ok. Some might find them kawaii.

Another aspect is the rendering method. The realistic rendering is not very our style. Funny thing is, movies like Toy Story or Nightmare Before Christmas are ok, but games for some reason have a totally different standard. I don't know why.

Also, PS3 Home's Sims-like avatar design is not very appealing to us either. I think we prefer Mii style.
Maybe Sony just stopped caring to cater to the Japanese because the Japanese seemed to stop caring for them :(
DeaconKnowledge said:

To start rolling the ball I think you need an huge established franchise (like GTA or whatever) or some new IP that has such huge appeal that it can singlehandidly move systems like crazy (Wii Sports, Brain Training, Nintendogs whatever). ;) And LBP is neither of those 2 options. Maybe it'll be like that PSP game LocoRoco?

But I don't agree on Home. Just minutes ago "Second Life" was discussed in THE NEWS in the Netherlands. This does not happen often unless it's making it's mark on the Dutch market (same for Brain Training but I can't remember any other games). For those of you don't know it, it kinda is like Home as the title suggets, a digital life, but a lot crappier (from what I've seen, haven't played it because I don't care about it). If Sony doesn't **** it up it *could* be to PS3 what Mii's are to Wii (thus kind of huge / appeal / selling feature (what's that word for that again?)).

DeaconKnowledge said:

Honestly, after Loco Roco, I'm not convinced that gorgeous, well-animated, and "cute" games can be runaway hits for Sony.

Inhumanility said:

Naruto did poorly it's first week, and now it's almost COMPLETELY off the charts? wtf.

Look harder.

As for Gundam Musou, I cant really see it having legs becuase theres not enough PS3s out there. If the game manages to sell 350k, thats like half a 50% attach rate, which i dont see happening. I doubt well even see it in the top 10 next week.

Evlar

Banned
Neomoto said:
Maybe Sony just stopped caring to cater to the Japanese because the Japanese seemed to stop caring for them :(

To start rolling the ball I think you need an huge established franchise (like GTA or whatever) or some new IP that has such huge appeal that it can singlehandidly move systems like crazy (Wii Sports, Brain Training, Nintendogs whatever). ;) And LBP is neither of those 2 options. Maybe it'll be like that PSP game LocoRoco?

But I don't agree on Home. Just minutes ago "Second Life" was discussed in THE NEWS in the Netherlands. This does not happen often unless it's making it's mark on the Dutch market (same for Brain Training but I can't remember any other games). For those of you don't know it, it kinda is like Home as the title suggets, a digital life, but a lot crappier (from what I've seen, haven't played it because I don't care about it). If Sony doesn't **** it up it *could* be to PS3 what Mii's are to Wii (thus kind of huge / appeal / selling feature (what's that word for that again?)).
Second Life's chief appeal is its near-infinite customizability... Something that Home can't match, based on everything we've seen. Not saying Home will flop, it might be the best thing since Youtube.

Neomoto said:

Killer Ap.

Europe will work with the PS HOME, I agree, but still, it seems weird to shut out an entire region with a feature that will be standard on the PS3.

Inhumanility said:

I think things aren't quite as grim as we might think looking at only the top 30. For one, Ennichi no Tatsujin was a launch game that ranked #28 and sold less than 11K according to Media Create, yet it seems it's above 70K by now.

It's also worth pointing out that "almost COMPLETELY off the charts" is a scarier way of saying "still on the charts". Most games don't stick around long.

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's also worth pointing out that "almost COMPLETELY off the charts" is a scarier way of saying "still on the charts". Most games don't stick around long.

I see you like your glass of milk Half-Full :D.

About the only games that have defied Japan's Law of Legs is the DS's Fantastic Four, soon to be Five and Six with another Training and Dragon Quest game coming

JoshuaJSlone said:
I think things aren't quite as grim as we might think looking at only the top 30. For one, Ennichi no Tatsujin was a launch game that ranked #28 and sold less than 11K according to Media Create, yet it seems it's above 70K by now.

Doesn't that Naruto game also suck pretty bad as well?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
In regards to Wii third party sales, they aren't good SURE. We have to consider that Nintendo consoles haven't been bastions of 3rd party sales. If the Wii hits DS like numbers (as in 10 million+ ) it could easily start having great 3rd party sales.

After all, 3rd party DS sales never really took off until FF3 came out.

ylvis_

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
In regards to Wii third party sales, they aren't good SURE. We have to consider that Nintendo consoles haven't been bastions of 3rd party sales. If the Wii hits DS like numbers (as in 10 million+ ) it could easily start having great 3rd party sales.

After all, 3rd party DS sales never really took off until FF3 came out.

More like after Tamagotchi.

splattergnome said:
I do have two suggestions for future Media Create threads, though:

1) Post a link to the Media Create thread of a year ago - that would make it easy to compare sales data and see how things changed in a year.

2) List the major titles coming out during the next weekly period which could pop up on the next Media Create chart, so we have something to speculate about. :)

Other than that, the current charts are perfect. Thanks for your work, Cheesemeister!

These features wouldn't take a whole lot of work outside of my translating an extra week ahead.

ylvis_ said:
More like after Tamagotchi.

seriouscat.jpg

Neomoto

The Sphinx said:
Second Life's chief appeal is its near-infinite customizability... Something that Home can't match, based on everything we've seen. Not saying Home will flop, it might be the best thing since Youtube.
Ah oke, didn't know that. :) Your last sentence has me thinking about it, seems like a waste to only use this on ps3. I'm sure it could be f*cking huge on PC if done right (and free with microtransactions).

DeaconKnowledge said:
Killer Ap.

Europe will work with the PS HOME, I agree, but still, it seems weird to shut out an entire region with a feature that will be standard on the PS3.
Yeah, maybe they'll just make it region locked, meaning Japan and "the rest". In Japan they can have a style that Japanese people like, but I guess a lot of the appeal and such of Home would be lost in Japan becouse relatively not many people will use it (even if the system was succesfull, which it aint right now).

Also, I wasn't looking for the word Killer Ap. I meant the word that is used for marketing to illustrate a important feature (on a console is this case) which is a feature that can "sell" consoles. Just like the touchscreen is "that" for the DS, or Xbox Live for X360, or Virtual Console etc.

Oh and the Wii 3rd party software is doing fine for the moment. Sure there are some bomb (Elebits, Super Swing Golf and such), but a couple of games have pretty good sales so far. One of which is basicly a ps2 port. Once Dragon Quest Swords hits the street (aka when SE decides the userbase is big enough to rank in the profit), I think you'll see better sales coming in. Remember that Nintendo has Wii Sports, Wii Play, Legend of Zelda, Wario Ware, Exite Truck and Pokemon Battle Revolution out there. Something that you *have* to remember.. 6 Nintendo games that (tbh mostly crappy) 3rd party games have to compete to.

What Nintendo has to do is find the Wii version of TOUCH generation, preferably the trio of Nintendogs/Brain Training/Animal Crossing types of games.

These titles really showed the innovation and capabilities of the DS, appealed to ALL ages and genders, and were simple and easy to use. it really set the wagon going for the DS, and once these titles obtained their extraordinary success, third parties learned the type of base ont he DS and followed suit.

The Wii needs these types of titles. Wii Sports was a good showcase, and perhaps either Wii Fitness, an extension of the Wii Sports, or some other Wii-titled game that really shows the innovation and mass-appeal the system, will garner the sales and 3rd aprty support like the DS did not too long ago

Top Bottom